You are Here:
What purchase(s) was most worth it?

Author (Read 1643 times)

What purchase(s) was most worth it?
« on: October 29, 2012, 12:38:32 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Since there is a thread discussing the most regretful purchases, I, being a happy person, though of starting a thread to share the most happy purchase. One of the more recent worth it purchases of mine was the white monarchs that I got off t11. I bought 3 of them and sold 2 to make enough money to buy myself a smoke and mirrors v1 that I have been wanting to get for a long long time. And also, I did not regret spending money to attend the DnD lecture in Singapore as I made many new friends the lecture was awesome. Dan, Dave and Ricky were also super nice and friendly people willing to impart knowledge and share ideas, not forgetting that they also adhere to almost all request to sign stuff and take photographs.

Re: What purchase(s) was most worth it?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 12:47:27 AM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
The single purchase I would never regret in my collection would be the circa 1920 sealed vintage bee deck that I bought off of Jonathan a while back. I love the fact that it is nearly 100 years old yet still in amazing condition. I would probably go as far to say that I would get rid of every other deck I own if it mean't that I could still keep this Bee deck.

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 01:01:03 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
My most worth it purchase is probably my $100 order from Ellusionist for the BG1E and LTD decks completing my E rare deck collection. Also my HOPC order with ornates and Gold Crown
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 01:21:22 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
For me, it's a tie.

* The two damanged David Blaine Variety Boxes, which ended up with me meeting him and having dinner with him and his creative team.

* The ticket to last week's Dan and Dave lecture, which resulted in my meeting all those guys afterwards for another dinner.  I actually drove the Bucks to their hotel when we left at around 1:00am or so.  And I got a deck of Fantastique and some stickers, a patch and candy for showing up in costume!  My costume was quickly convertible so I didn't have to go to a hip restaurant wearing it.

* The Vaudeville deck I bought which I got to hand to Lee Asher personally, so he could add it to his collection.  I also gave him my opened pack of Magic Con 2012, since he had none at the time.  It was the very least I could do for all the hospitality he showed my wife and me.

* The 1st-edition Red Crown deck with the defective card, which led me to meeting my friends Alex Pandrea and Kevin Reylek for the first time at the Blue Crown 1st Anniversary Party earlier this year.  It was a raucous and fun event - ever see a bunch of talented-but-drunk magicians trying to perform?  :))

It's been a really good year for me, it seems...

Oh, wait - there's one that has to top them all.

* The David Blaine stripper and the Guardians I used to perform for my blind date July of last year.  We were married August of this year!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 02:22:31 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Without a doubt my vintage deck collection. Worth every penny. :D
Forum Founder.

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 02:34:01 AM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
I know this will sound odd but my UV500 Ghosts and Masters decks. Back in the day I didn't know much about the decks, but now I really appreciate them. Heck I've got a masters from its initial release and ghost deck that have been abused to no end in my pocket, humidity, dropping on dirty floors, etc and still handle great!
If I were an eskimo, I would build my igloo next to a supermarket.

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 03:09:08 AM »

chisairi

• Forum Regular
my most profitable deck is the skulkor sealed decks. i managed to sell them high enough to cover for everything i got from skulkor. i guess the 3 month wait was worth it somewhat

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 05:10:13 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Me, oh I guess it'd be my 2 bricks of v6's. Sex in a box.
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 07:12:23 AM »

thanamagic

• MW

• YouTube:
5 bricks of v6, brick of red artifice, gold crown, white monarchs, smoke and mirrors v3, gold arcane, seasons collector box set.

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 07:52:29 AM »

dee1orean

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
5 bricks of v6, brick of red artifice, gold crown, white monarchs, smoke and mirrors v3, gold arcane, seasons collector box set.

That sounds like a boast of what you've got rather than a worthwhile purchase.

For me it would have to be my Gold Arcane Deck. I hadn't been collecting long and I'd only been buying from one uk ebay reseller I'd bought Some ghost decks, Shadow masters and Arcanes both White and black. At this point I had no knowledge of the Gold Arcane.

I then Saw on youtube a Video of Ekaterina performing with a gold arcane deck. Now she's obviously a very attractive lady, with a very attractive deck. So, I was smitten.

I figured that as I wouldn't be able to get my hands on one I'd try to get the other. So a bit of research brought me to the Ellusionist website only to find that these decks were not for sale and to get one you had to spend $300. I was sooo disappointed, I couldn't justify that outlay.

Anyway around 6 months later Ellusionist had their first $75 for a gold arcane offer So I bought Army of 52 with Ghost Gaff deck, the three Ultragaff dvd's and deck and I also stocked up on regular arcanes and ghosts.

I can still remember receiving that package, I wasn't interested in anything else in that box other than the gold arcane, I opened it there and then and it did not disappoint, it looked awesome and handled like a dream.

I still regard the Gold Arcane as a True limited collectors deck and whilst it may not be as valuable as others in my collection it is one of those i'm most proud to own.

So yeah, that order from Ellusionist was my most worthwhile purchase
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 11:08:31 AM by dee1orean »
I'm the Master of Nonsensical Sense and illogical Logic

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 10:14:11 AM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
Mine would have to be when Dan & Dave first came out with the Smoke & Mirror V1's.   I bought a brick of each and have only opened 1 Mirror deck.   The rest are chillin in my display cabinet.
- Adam

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 10:42:06 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Mine would have to be when Dan & Dave first came out with the Smoke & Mirror V1's.   I bought a brick of each and have only opened 1 Mirror deck.   The rest are chillin in my display cabinet.
that was a very very very smart buy. Almost as good as if you bought some JNs back in the days when they cost a dollar a pack or what every minuscule amount.

Just remembered that I also bought an autograph pair of the blue series A WL way back when they first came out and ended up receiving a brick in the end. I hunk it was a mistake on their part.

Don. U really make me wish that I was living in the US. With all these frequent lectures and sessioning with all these great minds in magic.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 11:06:02 AM by Siegismyname »

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 12:55:40 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
that was a very very very smart buy. Almost as good as if you bought some JNs back in the days when they cost a dollar a pack or what every minuscule amount.

Yeah thanks.  At the time it didnt seem to smart.  But now it does.   ;)
- Adam

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 03:37:15 PM »

thanamagic

• MW

• YouTube:

That sounds like a boast of what you've got rather than a worthwhile purchase.

For me it would have to be my Gold Arcane Deck. I hadn't been collecting long and I'd only been buying from one uk ebay reseller I'd bought Some ghost decks, Shadow masters and Arcanes both White and black. At this point I had no knowledge of the Gold Arcane.

I then Saw on youtube a Video of Ekaterina performing with a gold arcane deck. Now she's obviously a very attractive lady, with a very attractive deck. So, I was smitten.

I figured that as I wouldn't be able to get my hands on one I'd try to get the other. So a bit of research brought me to the Ellusionist website only to find that these decks were not for sale and to get one you had to spend $300. I was sooo disappointed, I couldn't justify that outlay.

Anyway around 6 months later Ellusionist had their first $75 for a gold arcane offer So I bought Army of 52 with Ghost Gaff deck, the three Ultragaff dvd's and deck and I also stocked up on regular arcanes and ghosts.

I can still remember receiving that package, I wasn't interested in anything else in that box other than the gold arcane, I opened it there and then and it did not disappoint, it looked awesome and handled like a dream.

I still regard the Gold Arcane as a True limited collectors deck and whilst it may not be as valuable as others in my collection it is one of those i'm most proud to own.

So yeah, that order from Ellusionist was my most worthwhile purchase

They are my most worthwhile purchase... what do you mean by ''That sounds like a boast of what you've got rather than a worthwhile purchase.''

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 04:05:30 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
One of the ones I remember most was from November 2010, when Theory11 had their Black Friday promotion.

"Happy Thanksgiving! For twelve hours only, starting now until 11:00pm EST tonight, we are offering an insane promotion. Act now to be a part of it.

EVERY
shipped order over $25 will get an unobtainable Brown Wynn Deck. EVERY shipped order over $50 will get one of the rarest decks ever produced - White Centurions – FREE.
And to top it all off, we’re giving you an extra 25% off of your ENTIRE order. Consider it a little gift from us to you.
This offer is valid TODAY only – for the next 12 hours. Tonight at 11:00pm EST, this deal will expire! Be a part of it and act now. To get your 25% off, use the special coupon code BLACKFRIDAY when you check outat theory11."

I took advantage of this AWESOME deal... but looking back, I wish I would have made multiple orders  :(

The page is still up at T11...
http://www.theory11.com/news/black-friday-at-theory11/

I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 05:09:42 PM »

Fanofyankees13

• "YEAH BITCH, MAGNETS!"
  • Discourse Lover
  • U W0T M8

• Facebook:
Are we speaking on grounds of finances or personal satisfaction? I suppose my answer would differ depending on the circumstances of the question. If we're speaking of monetary value, I'd have to say my brick of Red Artifice- paid $90 for it with shipping. Quite the deal based on the prices today. If we're speaking of personal satisfaction, I'd probably say my Magic Con 2012 uncut signed by David Blaine as well as the roughly 40 other attendees who signed all the sheets. It's the only uncut I have framed, and it's proudly hanging on my wall. I cherish it as a true piece of art.
“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 01:05:30 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Don. U really make me wish that I was living in the US. With all these frequent lectures and sessioning with all these great minds in magic.

It's more about living in the largest city in the US than about simply living in the US.  It also ranks in the top 20 (sometimes in the top 5) of world's most populous/largest cities, depending on the metric used to measure.  I assure you, if you lived in Tokyo or Shanghai you'd probably have similar opportunities as well.  The city itself is about 8.5 million people, while the greater metropolitan area surrounding it brings the total to over 20 million.  That in turn is considered part of a larger "metropolis" or "megalopolis" running along the Eastern Seaboard of the US from Boston in the north to Washington, DC to the south - many millions of people in total.  It's sometimes thought of as the northern I-95 corridor, after the interstate highway that connects this region - the southern I-95 corridor, far less populous until you reach South Florida, runs from Washington to Miami.

But yeah, I've been fortunate in making connections with some great people.  And I didn't meet them all here - I had to drive to Toronto to meet Lee Asher and Tom & Judy Dawson.  They're really nice people, all three of them.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 09:21:33 AM »

nimblewitted

I'd say my two David Blaine variety boxes. I resold them at twice the amount I bought them, which led to bringing in about $200 pretty quickly.

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 11:24:55 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Thanks for the kind words Curt... I'm glad I could be a part of that experience... That means a lot... I feel the same way about the '20s Bees Decks... I also have a place in my heart for my Playboy Bicycle Style Decks... There are just so many that I love, as you all can relate to... However, if I had to pick, my all time favorite deck is my late 1800s Steamboat Deck with Watermelon Joker, which is probably my oldest deck and, in my opinion, one of the most historically important decks I own because it reflects the racism that was so accepted in the country at the time of its production...