You are Here:
Crowdfunding: Costs, Marketing, Good Rewards, Etc.

Author (Read 6610 times)

karak

• True Member
I have been blown away at the prices people are charging in the last couple decks coming out on KS. What is going on? Its crazy. Anyone with math skills can figure out that something is totally strange with some of those prices.

Does anyone agree? Is this just the new way to do a card deck on KS? A ton for the cards and a ton for the shipping?

Also I keep noticing deck owners having no clue about things that are in KS's. Haven't talked to USPC before you started your KS? Really? That's not a mistake thats just downright dishonest as you have no clue about your times and costs. These are people saying they are going to use USPC not companies that use stretch goals to pay for it.

Just shaking my head at how little research is being done by some creators. Even if they get funded I can't have any real confidence they have a clue what they need to do. ARGH. So frustrating when trying to decide if you want to pledge or now.

If by "things that are in KS's" you're referring to what's involved in getting a deck made, then yes, there's a lot of people launching projects that know nothing about that end of how it works.  Most such projects fail.

And yes, some projects are priced a little out of whack with reality, including the shipping aspects.  But intelligent shoppers/investors know what's worth what.  If it's too expensive, you don't buy it, especially if it's not worth it.
Ya I did mean that. Sorry Don a bit tired these last couple days. I would agree with "out of whack with reality"

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I feel a lot of decks are over priced on KS. I try to only get the early bird specials.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

karak

• True Member
Not knowing others pricing at times I do as well. There are various Early Birds that are a good price.

I have been seeing $10 decks + like say 8 for shipping and such if International. Again I don't know other projects math. But the math I use to figure out if I can buy them stops far before that and I am US.

What bothers me more is seeing so many owner throwing the USPC name around then later stating they haven't talked to them. Its not rocket science obviously, but there has to be some thought behind your goal, timeline, and so forth. Delays happen, I just mean your original estimates need to be informed from USPC's paperwork and discussions. Just odd I guess.

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Not knowing others pricing at times I do as well. There are various Early Birds that are a good price.

I have been seeing $10 decks + like say 8 for shipping and such if International. Again I don't know other projects math. But the math I use to figure out if I can buy them stops far before that and I am US.

What bothers me more is seeing so many owner throwing the USPC name around then later stating they haven't talked to them. Its not rocket science obviously, but there has to be some thought behind your goal, timeline, and so forth. Delays happen, I just mean your original estimates need to be informed from USPC's paperwork and discussions. Just odd I guess.

Well, for some decks, yes, they're costly, but for others, when factoring in that the price includes shipping, it's not really that bad.  But there are a few that go above and beyond.

As far as not even having contacted USPC when proposing to make a deck with them and launching the project - that's something that falls under the military principle of "the six P's."  Poor Prior Planning leads to Piss Poor Performance.  There's no way to accurately predict your costs without knowing what the contract to make the deck will cost - plus all those packing materials and postage charges.  I would be very hesitant to back a project that didn't even check costs before launching - there's an awesome chance that even if the project succeeded, it would never reach fruition.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 04:41:50 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

LauR

• Elite Member
I'm interested in knowing how an overseas designer would handle the contracts and shipping of the decks should their design become funded. Is there any well known forwarding services which will be able to take care of the shipping process and can the contracts be signed electronically?

Or is kickstarter really a viable option to those living in the US.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 09:51:03 PM by LauR »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm interested in knowing how an overseas designer would handle the contracts and shipping of the decks should their design become funded. Is there any well known forwarding services which will be able to take care of the shipping process and can the contracts be signed electronically?

You should check the rules again.  There's a deck on Kickstarter right now by a UK designer, and it's posted in pounds sterling in stead of dollars.  Your country might be viable as well.

If it isn't, you'd have to find a US or UK partner for your deck - someone willing to do the work and represent you.  You could arrange for the decks to be sent to you so you do the heavy lifting after printing, or your partner (if willing) could do it, or you could try finding an order fulfillment service.  Whichever way you pick, it involves taking a smaller cut of any possible profit.  If you do the heavy work of fulfilling orders, you also have to factor in the HUGE shipping expenses you'll be dealing with.

It's not the kind of thing you can go into without knowing every single detail, every single cost.

LauR

• Elite Member

You should check the rules again.  There's a deck on Kickstarter right now by a UK designer, and it's posted in pounds sterling in stead of dollars.  Your country might be viable as well.

If it isn't, you'd have to find a US or UK partner for your deck - someone willing to do the work and represent you.  You could arrange for the decks to be sent to you so you do the heavy lifting after printing, or your partner (if willing) could do it, or you could try finding an order fulfillment service.  Whichever way you pick, it involves taking a smaller cut of any possible profit.  If you do the heavy work of fulfilling orders, you also have to factor in the HUGE shipping expenses you'll be dealing with.

It's not the kind of thing you can go into without knowing every single detail, every single cost.

Where are these rules available? I've tried contacting USPCC via email and have not received a response.

Thanks in advance.

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Where are these rules available? I've tried contacting USPCC via email and have not received a response.

Thanks in advance.

I was referring to Kickstarter rules.  But since you mention USPC, you really do need a US partner.  Any custom orders outside the US go through the International Sales department while within the US they go through the Custom Department.  I'm told the latter is better.

How I promote my new Deck?
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2014, 12:37:31 PM »

Thirdway Industries

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Hi there!

In the last days I was searching for websites, forums, magazines etc to promote my Evil Deck before the crowdfunding campaign. Of course I don't want spam everywhere, I want only that people who could appreciate it wouldn't miss it.
I found great forums (like this one) who gave me some preorders and some nice (but less active) facebook groups or twitters members.

I was wondering if someone could suggest me how I can reach some people that love art and playing cards.

Thank you!

Re: How I promote my new Deck?
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2014, 01:18:47 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
Well there are ideas and ideas that work, which usually go along with a METHOD that works.  I'll throw some ideas out there, but perhaps people that have run past campaigns will give specific answers.  Don't we already have an existing thread for this anyhow?

EDIT - Yes we do, but I'm sure this came up before in other threads more recently too
http://www.playingcardforum.com/design-development/discussion-for-kickstarter-projects-costs-marketing-good-rewards-and-more/

• There are a TON of how to market Kickstarter project websites out there, books, videos, etc.  I think I even saw some from card decks before, certainly board games.  Search those out.
  • Pintrest (Twitter, Instagram, etc), but like Facebook the masses have to already be there or you have to have a 'viral' product and/or marketing message.
  • Reddit playing card subreddits, but not that active.
  • Board Game Geek forums, but they are VERY strict about where you can post 'ads' and not much cross over other than general card players who may be interested
  • Forums, but I believe asking for input and showing progress is better than just spamming.  Glad to see you already realize that though.

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2014, 04:58:50 PM »

Thirdway Industries

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Thank you ecNate!
I will try on reddit and rpg / board game forums (my deck is very fantasy inspired, so it may be interesting for some rpg geeks too). Let me know if there are some others ideas. Cheers

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2014, 11:29:02 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Well there are ideas and ideas that work, which usually go along with a METHOD that works.  I'll throw some ideas out there, but perhaps people that have run past campaigns will give specific answers.  Don't we already have an existing thread for this anyhow?

EDIT - Yes we do, but I'm sure this came up before in other threads more recently too
http://www.playingcardforum.com/design-development/discussion-for-kickstarter-projects-costs-marketing-good-rewards-and-more/

That thread is now this thread - I've merged them, placed them in the Design/Dev board and retitled them.

BTW: have you considered the very DESIGN CONTEST listed in my signature, below?  Stage Two of the contest goes LIVE in about 30 minutes!

Re: Crowdfunding: Costs, Marketing, Good Rewards, Etc.
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2014, 04:37:01 AM »

Thirdway Industries

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Hi Don, yes, I want partecipate, it's great. Do I need just post my evildeck website (where the people can see alla the cards) in the thread you just unlocked, right? (I already post the deck in the design section, I think). Thank you!

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2014, 06:26:47 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hi Don, yes, I want partecipate, it's great. Do I need just post my evildeck website (where the people can see alla the cards) in the thread you just unlocked, right? (I already post the deck in the design section, I think). Thank you!

First, before you do a thing, READ THE RULES.

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2014, 08:59:04 AM »

Thirdway Industries

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Ok I have read the rules, I have submitted my design here >
http://www.playingcardforum.com/design-development/dddc-evil-deck/new/#new

If my submission is okay, I'll post also in the "official thread" of the contest, here http://www.playingcardforum.com/playing-card-plethora/the-1st-discourse-deck-design-contest!/

Let me know if I did everything ok!

Thank you!