Author (Read 3842 times)

CORE: Playing Cards
« on: June 23, 2012, 10:26:14 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tniou3/core-playing-cards?ref=live

Personally I like the pips design and arrangement.
But there is something about the back of the cards that I don't like.

What's your opinions?

Re: CORE: Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 10:28:21 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Wow. If this is supposed to be an "Iron Man" deck then I'm sorry that is sad.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 10:29:53 AM by SeanWhelan »
Creator/Designer of Bicycle Galvanic Playing cards

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 10:30:59 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Wow. If this is supposed to be an "Iron Man" deck then I'm sorry that is sad.

I wish I could see a spiderman deck. LoL

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 08:44:39 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I find the pips pretty interesting. I hate their placement on the faces though. Also, why write down the number and suit of the cards, can't we all see it for ourselves? And how is this really an Iron Man-styled deck? I'm not really understanding a couple aspects, but I love the courts. I'm also glad this will potentially be USPCC.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 10:02:05 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Sorry... Pass... Yet another amongst a sea of mediocrity...

Obsessed Collector + Boring Summer + Trying to ride the wave and Cash in on it = Another mediocre deck on kickstarter...

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 10:12:56 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
This is another pass for me... the faces are alright but the back is horrible! It's plain and it doesn't look good at all.

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 01:40:46 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I find the pips pretty interesting. I hate their placement on the faces though. Also, why write down the number and suit of the cards, can't we all see it for ourselves? And how is this really an Iron Man-styled deck? I'm not really understanding a couple aspects, but I love the courts. I'm also glad this will potentially be USPCC.

It's not styled on Iron Man!  It's styled from the arc reactor in the Iron Man movies.  You did read that part, right?

The minimalist design appealed to me a little bit, but the clubs and spades are too similar and the King he displayed was whacked in the head with a fugly stick.  Pass.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 03:32:17 AM »

MSimonart

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I don't know why, but pip reminds me of the ultraviolet deck. So pass for me.

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 03:50:13 AM »

tniou

• Newcomer
Hey guys,

I designed this deck and just wanted to let you know that I appreciate all the feedback.  I'm taking notes on things you guys have mentioned for future references and welcome more critiques. 

This deck is primarily an experiment in terms of designing--going through iterations and figuring out what works and what doesn't.  As a first attempt, I'm not expecting much success, but I am anticipating a pretty steep learning curve.  I've already learned a lot in terms of what things people are generally looking for, what things nobody likes, and what things that have polarizing opinions.  As an architectural design student, I understand that it's impossible to please everyone, but it's always beneficial to listen to what other people have to say.

I also apologize if my attempt at trying to be productive over my summer break to create things for my design portfolio has offended any of you guys.

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 03:57:00 AM »

MSimonart

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Great talk man. That's how every designer should be (not accusing Dan and Dave at all :)

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 04:32:06 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hey guys,

I designed this deck and just wanted to let you know that I appreciate all the feedback.  I'm taking notes on things you guys have mentioned for future references and welcome more critiques. 

This deck is primarily an experiment in terms of designing--going through iterations and figuring out what works and what doesn't.  As a first attempt, I'm not expecting much success, but I am anticipating a pretty steep learning curve.  I've already learned a lot in terms of what things people are generally looking for, what things nobody likes, and what things that have polarizing opinions.  As an architectural design student, I understand that it's impossible to please everyone, but it's always beneficial to listen to what other people have to say.

I also apologize if my attempt at trying to be productive over my summer break to create things for my design portfolio has offended any of you guys.

Take whatever we say with a grain of salt.  We're card collectors mostly, with a few designers in the mix as well.  We're rough on critiques because we're pretty demanding in general.

But never forget that guys and girls like us only represent something short of 1% of your potential audience!

Now, consider if you will, what is your ultimate goal with this deck?  If it's a design exercise, that's great.  You can take it into all kinds of different directions.  If it's meant to be used as a deck of cards, there are certain aspects of this design that are a little lacking.

A useable deck has to have readily visible pips and indices, ones that are easily distinguished from each other, particularly the pips that share the same color.  While the minimal design is cool-looking, it's not as practical as most card players/users would prefer.

If you wanted to attract flourishers, you need to get something in the corners of that back design and make the border as thin as you can get it.  The values for the indices are great, very clear, easily read - but the pips need help.  Make them bigger, perhaps.

Consider rounding some aspects of the shapes.  For example, I'd round the two points on the top of the heart, and I'd use something like a cube with three half-circles and a base for a club.  By altering the design to make each color have a "rounded" suit and an "angular" suit, you've increased the useability a great deal.  Any deck I've ever had that has clubs that look too much like spades and hearts that look too much like diamonds, it was hellish trying to play with them.

I have no idea what direction you were planning to go with the court cards (jacks, queens and kings).  That king you've shown so far bears more resemblance to a can of motor oil than a member of royalty.  You can push the design aesthetic if that's what you're aiming for, but push too far and no one will be using your design because it's too "out there" for them to be comfortable with.  You can maintain the "core" aesthetic by simply having that core function as the "divider" between the two faces that appear on a court card.  Consider removing the frames from your court cards.  I think they'd look more attractive without them.  And give them some kind of face!  You were inspired by the power core from the Iron Man movies?  What about borrowing from the Iron Suit as well when crafting your royalty cards?  You need not go for direct imitation, but you could make something much more visually appealing.

I like the names of the cards in the curves around the core.  To me, that's an attractive detail.  The circular pattern for placement of pips I also like.  Consider making them a little larger, to fill in just a wee bit more empty real estate on the card itself and make them easier on the eyes.  When pips are too small, they're harder to differentiate from each other.

Oh, and as far as this simply being a "summer break" project - think again!  You'll be well into your fall semester, maybe even into the winter break, before your deck sees the light of day outside the USPC factory.  Then comes the challenging task of distribution.  "It's not just a job, it's an adventure!"  Your Kickstarter will be done in just under a month, but USPC is already running a backlog of projects and just took a two-week break - closed, no decks being made at all!  You might be queued to get printing in September or so, if you're lucky.

If you're aiming at collectors, there's many that are loyal to USPC, but a huge subset of those are loyal to the Bicycle brand.  Consider making it an overfunding goal - get us to X dollars and we'll brand it as a Bicycle deck!  It's similar to what the highly-successful "The Grid" deck did for their recently-completed Kickstarter project.

Well, my brain's just about fried now.  Anyone else wanna offer up some wisdom?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 12:56:50 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 02:38:12 AM »

tniou

• Newcomer
Hey guys,

Take whatever we say with a grain of salt.  We're card collectors mostly, with a few designers in the mix as well.  We're rough on critiques because we're pretty demanding in general.

But never forget that guys and girls like us only represent something short of 1% of your potential audience!

Now, consider if you will, what is your ultimate goal with this deck?  If it's a design exercise, that's great.  You can take it into all kinds of different directions.  If it's meant to be used as a deck of cards, there are certain aspects of this design that are a little lacking.

A useable deck has to have readily visible pips and indices, ones that are easily distinguished from each other, particularly the pips that share the same color.  While the minimal design is cool-looking, it's not as practical as most card players/users would prefer.

If you wanted to attract flourishers, you need to get something in the corners of that back design and make the border as thin as you can get it.  The values for the indices are great, very clear, easily read - but the pips need help.  Make them bigger, perhaps.

Consider rounding some aspects of the shapes.  For example, I'd round the two points on the top of the heart, and I'd use something like a cube with three half-circles and a base for a club.  By altering the design to make each color have a "rounded" suit and an "angular" suit, you've increased the useability a great deal.  Any deck I've ever had that has clubs that look too much like spades and hearts that look too much like diamonds, it was hellish trying to play with them.

I have no idea what direction you were planning to go with the court cards (jacks, queens and kings).  That king you've shown so far bears more resemblance to a can of motor oil than a member of royalty.  You can push the design aesthetic if that's what you're aiming for, but push too far and no one will be using your design because it's too "out there" for them to be comfortable with.  You can maintain the "core" aesthetic by simply having that core function as the "divider" between the two faces that appear on a court card.  Consider removing the frames from your court cards.  I think they'd look more attractive without them.  And give them some kind of face!  You were inspired by the power core from the Iron Man movies?  What about borrowing from the Iron Suit as well when crafting your royalty cards?  You need not go for direct imitation, but you could make something much more visually appealing.

I like the names of the cards in the curves around the core.  To me, that's an attractive detail.  The circular pattern for placement of pips I also like.  Consider making them a little larger, to fill in just a wee bit more empty real estate on the card itself and make them easier on the eyes.  When pips are too small, they're harder to differentiate from each other.

Oh, and as far as this simply being a "summer break" project - think again!  You'll be well into your fall semester, maybe even into the winter break, before your deck sees the light of day outside the USPC factory.  Then comes the challenging task of distribution.  "It's not just a job, it's an adventure!"  Your Kickstarter will be done in just under a month, but USPC is already running a backlog of projects and just took a two-week break - closed, no decks being made at all!  You might be queued to get printing in September or so, if you're lucky.

If you're aiming at collectors, there's many that are loyal to USPC, but a huge subset of those are loyal to the Bicycle brand.  Consider making it an overfunding goal - get us to X dollars and we'll brand it as a Bicycle deck!  It's similar to what the highly-successful "The Grid" deck did for their recently-completed Kickstarter project.

Well, my brain's just about friend now.  Anyone else wanna offer up some wisdom?

Thanks, Don!

I'm used to taking critiques.  That's pretty much what architecture school is like; we spend all our time designing something and creating models just so we can present it in front of a group of jurors who tell us how much we suck.  Then we repeat the process, haha.

I really like the idea of the angular and rounded suit for the pips.  If I ultimately don't change it for this deck, I will definitely go for it on my next deck if it ever happens.  I will increase the size of the pips--I agree that they could be bigger.

I think the court cards have had the most polarizing opinions so far.  I had thought about bringing in more Iron Man/mecha related court cards, but I didn't want to risk the chance of being sued by Marvel.  I will try to find a workable solution.

I'm expecting this thing to take a while--thus setting the estimated delivery date at January 2013.  I guess what I meant by the summer project was the designing process itself.  I'm planning on making the Bicycle branding an overfunding goal.

I am also in the process of a few updated back designs that I will put up for a vote on Kickstarter.  Hopefully they will be completed by the end of Monday or Tuesday.

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 03:24:27 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Welcome to the forums tniou. Personally, I think the deck has a lot of potential. There are just a couple different aspects that make it seem unfinished to me.
Thx!

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 12:17:42 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Some updates were posted for the back design and I think letter C looks the best.

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 07:14:01 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Kickstarter Complete

Raised $19,280 with 536 Backers!!

Congrats!

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 04:48:29 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Congrats on reaching the goal! I can't wait to see this deck in person!

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2012, 06:49:02 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
This is another pass for me... the faces are alright but the back is horrible! It's plain and it doesn't look good at all.
What a hypocrite!  ;) Just kidding with ya Evan. Plus, in French we have a saying that says (translated) "Only idiots don't change their minds." Is their a similar saying in English? According to google there's one that says: "Only fools and dead men don't change". Is that really a saying?
Anyways, back onto the topic, congratulations on getting the deck funded!

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2012, 07:11:45 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
What a hypocrite!  ;) Just kidding with ya Evan. Plus, in French we have a saying that says (translated) "Only idiots don't change their minds." Is their a similar saying in English? According to google there's one that says: "Only fools and dead men don't change". Is that really a saying?
That post was before they made major changes, making the deck much more appealing.

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2012, 12:23:37 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
That post was before they made major changes, making the deck much more appealing.

Then you'd better check those time stamps and see if they're accurate - because according to them, you made the congratulatory post BEFORE you made the "I'll pass" post!

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2012, 12:25:55 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

Then you'd better check those time stamps and see if they're accurate - because according to them, you made the congratulatory post BEFORE you made the "I'll pass" post!
I think you'd better check those time stamps because according to them, the "I'll pass" post was made a whole month before the congratulatory post.

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2012, 12:47:09 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I think you'd better check those time stamps because according to them, the "I'll pass" post was made a whole month before the congratulatory post.

...damn failing eyesight...June and July look so similar at that size...  :))

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2013, 11:50:23 PM »

thecardcollectors

Hi guys, has anyone who backed these receive their decks yet?

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2013, 02:10:01 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I haven't pledged for it, but he did announce just over a month ago that he started shipments.  What country are you in?  If you're outside of the US, it would be natural to expect that it will take a bit longer to arrive.

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2013, 03:29:41 AM »

thecardcollectors

I'm in Singapore. I understand international parcels take a longer time to arrive, but just wanted to know whether these have started going out yet..

The updates from Timothy have stopped since that post 2 months ago, and it seems as though no one has even seen the deck.

Even if these are going out slowly, surely somebody would have received their deck by now?

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2013, 06:19:11 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm in Singapore. I understand international parcels take a longer time to arrive, but just wanted to know whether these have started going out yet..

The updates from Timothy have stopped since that post 2 months ago, and it seems as though no one has even seen the deck.

Even if these are going out slowly, surely somebody would have received their deck by now?

Y'know, I rechecked the numbers and you're right - it was two months ago.  There's a few excuses and a lot of complaints in the comments section.  All I can say is follow it up with Timothy Niou.

I'm getting more than a little tired of hearing that this project, that project, the other project are all moving slowly owing largely to what I believe is the creator not having a real clue as to the amount of work required to get it done and dusted.  Kickstarter should have a class on that - a REAL class - or something.  Whatever they have now by way of creator education/training seems to be lacking in some cases.