You are Here:
NEW DECK - Bicycle Spectrum -- Kickstarter completed!

Author (Read 39263 times)

Re: NEW DECK - Bicycle Spectrum -- Kickstarter is ACTIVE!
« Reply #200 on: February 28, 2012, 12:02:37 PM »

hazofhorsham

• Discourse Veteran
Nathan the question wasn't where the others were going, it was just how many were around in the kickstarter thingymajig - I figured he'd have a few for himself ;) and his site etc etc.

Don - Yeah I think we'll have to agree to disagree. Although I agree with what you've said, but a community is sorta hierarchical. You're impression of someone makes you biased either side of what they say - if you respect someone you'll listen, if not you'll take it with a pinch of salt. Ah well life is life.
Some Men just want to watch the world burn.

« Reply #201 on: February 28, 2012, 05:28:57 PM »

Cosmo Solano

• True Member

• Facebook:
Regarding the 2500 decks... Originally this wasn't going to be a kickstarter project, as I've stated, I had committed to the production no matter what.  So I had a couple of dealers lined up already who wanted pretty high numbers. 

In fact, I WAS planning on hanging on to at least a few dozen for myself, again not knowing how they'd sell.  Once I did the math I realized that I will end up with very little for myself!  In fact I'm hoping to renegotiate a few dozen to keep for me, but the commitments to the dealers have been made and of course I'll have to honor it!

Coz
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 05:29:15 PM by Cosmo Solano »

« Reply #202 on: February 29, 2012, 02:13:21 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Regarding the 2500 decks... Originally this wasn't going to be a kickstarter project, as I've stated, I had committed to the production no matter what.  So I had a couple of dealers lined up already who wanted pretty high numbers. 

In fact, I WAS planning on hanging on to at least a few dozen for myself, again not knowing how they'd sell.  Once I did the math I realized that I will end up with very little for myself!  In fact I'm hoping to renegotiate a few dozen to keep for me, but the commitments to the dealers have been made and of course I'll have to honor it!

Coz

Well, perhaps you'll modify/improve the deck somehow, and Spectrum v2 will be born...  If you upgrade it, it's not a straight-up reprinting; you're making a new deck based on but not identical to the old one.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #203 on: February 29, 2012, 02:50:06 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
The box looks so awesome! I love the back of the box, its a new idea to me and I really like it. Awesome work Cosmo!

52Cartes posted this pic today.

« Reply #204 on: February 29, 2012, 03:59:18 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
Wow! I really like the back, but I think it looks weird with the cards being cut off. I feel it would look better if the cards were slightly smaller so they weren't cut off, but overall it's no big deal.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #205 on: February 29, 2012, 04:46:26 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Wow! I really like the back, but I think it looks weird with the cards being cut off. I feel it would look better if the cards were slightly smaller so they weren't cut off, but overall it's no big deal.

I like the cut-off - it implies there are more cards.  It looks like a close-up section of an uncut.

« Reply #206 on: February 29, 2012, 05:21:32 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:

I like the cut-off - it implies there are more cards.  It looks like a close-up section of an uncut.
I had realized the back implied there were more cards, but I hadn't noticed how until you posted. Thx.
@Cosmo Solano - How come poster #2 costs so much more than #1?

« Reply #207 on: February 29, 2012, 06:27:49 PM »

Cosmo Solano

• True Member

• Facebook:
I'm telling ya, Don Boyer takes the words right outta my mouth over and over... Yes the design is meant to imply that there's "more".
The original box had 52 little tiny cards on it and it just wasn't going to print right.  glad you like the box... I have gotten several emails saying they were mad that the joker's no longer on the box!  everyone has their own taste!  I'm happy with the box now!

Poster Number 2 is more, mostly because it cost me more to print it, I didn't have a good source and WAY over paid, I also was so anxious that I printed them, then I changed the name from SPECTRUM 52 to the SPECTRUM deck.  So whether or or not there's value in the name change thing will remain to be seen.  OKAY NO debates on that! :-)  Putting it on kickstarter really is more of an experiment, since this poster would not be reprinted due to the name change, I was wondering if there might be an interest, a little so far, we'll see how it goes!

Thanks

« Reply #208 on: February 29, 2012, 06:40:50 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
Ahh, ok I understand about the box now, and now that you put it like that, I really enjoy it!
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #209 on: March 03, 2012, 05:45:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm telling ya, Don Boyer takes the words right outta my mouth over and over... Yes the design is meant to imply that there's "more".

Got any paid openings for a spokesperson, you let me know!  :))

« Reply #210 on: March 13, 2012, 12:13:56 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
I'm happy to post this...

"Hey all! I received the 2nd revision of the proofs early this morning and approved them!  As mentioned, I decided that while the colors looked great, they could be BETTER! So I painstakingly changed 44 of the 56 card back colors and now the colors blend even better than ever!

I spent an entire day adjusting and experimenting with the colors, then sent them on to a professional graphic designer to double check for me and it was WELL WORTH IT! 

Here's an image of the proof I received from the USPCC this morning...
(this image is also on the project home page here on kickstarter along with the uncut of the card faces)"

I'm VERY happy that that those 2 "rainbow" cards are gone!  I'll be placing my order later today!

Also, here's the tuck box proof

I really like the flap!

Good work Cosmo!  I'm looking forward to adding this deck to my collection, and having the uncut on my wall!

CBJ
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 12:22:22 PM by CBJ »
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #211 on: March 13, 2012, 02:37:49 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I love the flap on the box! That is a great little addition. The colors do look a little better but they looked fine to me before!  :P

Good luck and I hope it all goes well!

« Reply #212 on: March 13, 2012, 04:51:16 PM »

Russell CircleCityCards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
and i am going to repledge again.... thank god those horrible rainbow cards are gone!
Circle City Cards - 'Hornet' decks now available!
HOPC - 'Sanguine' & 'Azure' just released!
Facebook - 'Like' us! We frequently have contests!

« Reply #213 on: March 13, 2012, 05:04:52 PM »

Cosmo Solano

• True Member

• Facebook:
@CBJ: thanks for the post!

@magicaddictz:  Yeah, the colors looked great before but there were a few that were too "close" to each other and once I tweaked one, it created a domino effect!

I then decided if I was going to mess with them I might as well go through with a fine tooth comb!  The yellow to green is better, th purple to red, better over all, while fine before, just better now!

ummm, well thanks for the "kind words" Russell... :-)  I think.

Thanks!

« Reply #214 on: March 14, 2012, 02:10:18 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
@CBJ: thanks for the post!

@magicaddictz:  Yeah, the colors looked great before but there were a few that were too "close" to each other and once I tweaked one, it created a domino effect!

I then decided if I was going to mess with them I might as well go through with a fine tooth comb!  The yellow to green is better, th purple to red, better over all, while fine before, just better now!

ummm, well thanks for the "kind words" Russell... :-)  I think.

Thanks!

It seems that Russ, like a number of others, thought the one or two rainbow-backed cards that you were planning to include at one point so badly marred the appearance of the uncut sheet that they were put off of investing.  Now that it's gone, they're thrilled and bumping up their investments or reinvesting.

Any news on what the joker backs are colored and what gaff cards you made with this new design?

« Reply #215 on: March 14, 2012, 02:33:40 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
will you be changing the back of the box ?? they seriously look awful .. that is just what i think although hardly seem but the back and front of the box sort of dun have a link ..

« Reply #216 on: March 14, 2012, 05:04:30 AM »

Linguist_

• Elite Member
will you be changing the back of the box ?? they seriously look awful .. that is just what i think although hardly seem but the back and front of the box sort of dun have a link ..
I think the back of the box is meant to have a functional purpose rather than an aesthetic one. Since each back is a different colour, it can't really show one back to suit all of them that would properly describe the backs of the cards visually. I'm sure I also just read him saying that putting all of the cards' backs on the box was too cluttered and wouldn't print well. So, he went for a happy medium of showing a few card backs to give an idea of what the cards look like.
Oh, Lawd!

« Reply #217 on: March 14, 2012, 05:22:45 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I think the box looks great... I'm proud to say that this will be my first uncut sheet and will look great framed...

« Reply #218 on: March 14, 2012, 05:28:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Would you explain why you think the back of the box looks awful?  What specifically triggers this response?  Do you have an idea as to how you think it would look better?

As discussed above, the original design of showing all 56 card backs was impractical - they'd be too small to recognize as cards.  The compromise idea which is the current design gives the idea that there are many colors on the backs, more than is visible on the box, by appearing to be a close-up of a section of the back of an uncut sheet of Spectrum.  I'm rather fond of the compromise idea since it conveys the concept of there being more without actually having to show more.  Did you have something in mind that somehow improves upon this?

You "dun" need a link to the front and back - they're already HERE, on this topic.  Look hard, you'll find them.

Now I am "dun".

« Reply #219 on: March 14, 2012, 08:59:33 AM »

Russell CircleCityCards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Circle City Cards - 'Hornet' decks now available!
HOPC - 'Sanguine' & 'Azure' just released!
Facebook - 'Like' us! We frequently have contests!

« Reply #220 on: March 14, 2012, 06:59:59 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
"dun"

THANK YOU! :D

Please, there's no need for applause...  Just throw money!  Large bills are preferred...

« Reply #221 on: March 15, 2012, 01:25:32 PM »

Cosmo Solano

• True Member

• Facebook:
big lesson learned, you can't please everyone!  I understand some like the box some don't, some like the uncuts some don't.  The main product is the deck. Period.  I would say if the design of the box is more important to you than the product itself, and you don't like the box, it's probably not for you.

I was happy to see that Russell cancelled his pledge on the uncut since he didn't like it (and pleased to see he repledged) but I couldn't change it based on one person's point of view.  the changes made have always been my best attempt to be of service to the overall product.  I actually got MANY more responses in favor of the Joker box but still felt the box had a purpose to serve.  I had many other designs that I was going to post and get thoughts but after seeing the drastically different opinions I realized it would just be opening up debates and not get anywhere. Again for everyone who liked one thing there has been someone else who didn't like it...

Thanks for everything everyone!

coz
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:28:49 PM by Cosmo Solano »

« Reply #222 on: March 15, 2012, 11:33:21 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
big lesson learned, you can't please everyone!  I understand some like the box some don't, some like the uncuts some don't.  The main product is the deck. Period.  I would say if the design of the box is more important to you than the product itself, and you don't like the box, it's probably not for you.

I was happy to see that Russell cancelled his pledge on the uncut since he didn't like it (and pleased to see he repledged) but I couldn't change it based on one person's point of view.  the changes made have always been my best attempt to be of service to the overall product.  I actually got MANY more responses in favor of the Joker box but still felt the box had a purpose to serve.  I had many other designs that I was going to post and get thoughts but after seeing the drastically different opinions I realized it would just be opening up debates and not get anywhere. Again for everyone who liked one thing there has been someone else who didn't like it...

Thanks for everything everyone!

coz

Stick to your artistic (and illusionist) vision!  It's why this deck exists in the first place.

« Reply #223 on: March 16, 2012, 02:41:26 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
This deck is a class act... The cards are great... The box is great... The uncut sheet is great (and I don't like uncut sheets)... As for anyone who has anything to say about it... Go buy the Devo April Fools deck, that's probably more your style...

« Reply #224 on: March 17, 2012, 07:04:31 PM »

Cosmo Solano

• True Member

• Facebook:
Wow thanks JM, Don!
Coz