You are Here:
I NEED YOUR HELP!!!

Author (Read 831 times)

I NEED YOUR HELP!!!
« on: February 05, 2012, 08:33:29 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
In school we are doing an assignment listing our qualifications - I need a word that combines cardistry, magic, and collecting into one. Basically, fill in the blank:

Skillful in ___

or

Skillful in the art of ___

I would put cardistry, but I doubt my teacher will know what it means, and plus, cardistry only includes flourishing. I need a term that includes everything.

Thanks!
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

Re: I NEED YOUR HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 09:09:33 PM »

Joshua Robinson

• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
maybe cards? lol
I am now a Business Representative for www.shuffleanddeal.com.au

Youtube channel for Shuffle and Deal: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuffleAndDealAus?feature=mhee

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 09:19:11 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Utilizes cards unique ways?

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 10:35:55 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Skillful in the art of magic and card manipulation?

Those are qualifications. Collecting is more of a hobby or something that makes you unique. There's a slight difference. Hope that helped!!
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 03:10:31 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Skillful in the art of magic and card manipulation?

Those are qualifications. Collecting is more of a hobby or something that makes you unique. There's a slight difference. Hope that helped!!

Yeah, the collecting part likely doesn't fit.

"Card manipulation" by itself might describe both magic and cardistry.  De'vo is the only one who still sticks with the term Xtreme Card Manipulation, but most cardists thought it was a little too vague to accurately describe their art, and I think they're right.  A good sleight-of-hand artist is also manipulating cards, when you get down to brass tacks.

"Card entertainment" is another vague but reasonably accurate term describing both.

You could try "prestidigitation" - it's an older term for magic, but could be applied to any art that relies on using your "digits" (fingers) to do amazing things for an audience.

KPop, why must it be a SINGLE word?  I've never known anyone who could use a single word to describe the sum total of their "qualifications" for anything.  And while I mentioned it: qualifications for what?  A resume or a job application?  An application for college?  A role in a move, play, TV show or performance art piece?  To accurately assist you, we need more information that what you're giving us.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 03:16:15 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
He mentioned that it's a school assignment where you list your qualifications. Probably practicing for real world apps and whatnot. Are there more specific details about the assignment you could share?

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 05:13:43 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
He mentioned that it's a school assignment where you list your qualifications. Probably practicing for real world apps and whatnot. Are there more specific details about the assignment you could share?

I knew that part - it's just a matter of what exactly he's supposed to be qualifying for.  You don't just have in-general "qualifications"; you have qualifications that make you a good choice for a specific purpose.  A qualified bulldozer operator would be a better choice for a demolition job than a qualified dancer, though they both have "qualifications"...  A qualified college applicant would be one who meets at least the school's minimum requirements for entry, such as right grades, right aptitude test scores, right extracurricular activities, etc.  Knowing what he's qualifying for would make a big difference.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 03:50:40 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Yeah, I know what qualifications are. I am assuming it is a assignment where you practice filling out a job app or something. That's why I also asked him for more details on the actual assignment. It doesn't seem that he is actually applying for a job, part in a play, college, or something at this moment (although he may be).

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 04:03:32 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
"Card manipulation" by itself might describe both magic and cardistry.  De'vo is the only one who still sticks with the term Xtreme Card Manipulation, but most cardists thought it was a little too vague to accurately describe their art, and I think they're right.  A good sleight-of-hand artist is also manipulating cards, when you get down to brass tacks.
Not to mention it is misspelled for the sake of having a cooler-looking (or rather cheesier if you ask me) acronym. :P

Any reason why it must start with "skillful"? If you're trying to avoid making it sound awkward, I would go with something that sounds more natural in the first place...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:06:51 PM by Moon.exe »
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 08:02:07 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Thank you all! I think I have it from here. I'll probably use manipulation, or if I'm feeling fancy, I'll go for prestidigitation. By the way, this assignment was an assignment given in my CORE class to make a resume applying for high school. I know it's weird, but I just go with the flow.

#CLOSED
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 08:17:57 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Cool! Glad we could help! Best of luck with the assignment and your actual application (if you do one).

To close the thread hit the lock button haha