You are Here:
Top retention... Scissor cut?

Author (Read 1390 times)

Top retention... Scissor cut?
« on: February 01, 2012, 05:33:11 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Hey guys, I was sketching for the group deck with a deck of tallies next to me, Queen of Clubs on top for reference. You guys should know it's hard to resist handling a deck that's in front of you, right?

Well, since I need to keep the Queen on the top of the deck, I tried doing a scissor cut while keeping the top card in place, and I was mostly successful, but the cut looked pretty sloppy.
Do you guys think it would be possible to make this kind of thing consistent so that only the top card stays and it always looks smooth?

Feel free to discuss possibilities with other cuts as well. I'd be quite interested if someone came up with a solution for the charlier cut. :P
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 05:34:37 PM by Moon.exe »
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

Re: Top retention... Scissor cut?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 05:43:30 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
You could do this with a charlier cut.  It'd be like an inverted biddle grip but only with your middle and ring fingers.  Use your index and little finger to push a packet off the top but use a slip-cut to hold the top card in place with your middle and ring fingers.  Let the top card fall on top of the remaining packet and complete the cut.

Seems possible.  I can't even do a regular charlier cut, though.

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 09:04:55 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
I'm not exactly sure I understand the whole explanation, but it does seem doable... If I can let the bottom packet pass without releasing my thumb from the break. I'll give it a couple tries.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 09:10:20 PM by Moon.exe »

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 12:39:46 AM »

MrLukeCarroll

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
I can do both top and bottom retentions with a Charlier cut that look pretty convinving, I'm not sure you would be able to do it with the scissor cut and have it looking that smooth, would be a bit suspicious I reckon.
Mystery is the basic appeal of magic. Once the secrets are known, the magician becomes a mere manipulator, an actor in a suspense drama which has little impact because the audience knows the ending in advance.

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 02:55:04 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Hmm Luke, thats sounds interesting, would you mind explaining in more detail? :P
You could even show us on video, if you don't mind of course... But written explanations would be great already!

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 04:05:54 AM »

MrLukeCarroll

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Hey Moon, filming it might be easier :P I'll film it tommorow and put it as an unlisted video on YouTube, I'll post the link up as soon as it goes live :)
Mystery is the basic appeal of magic. Once the secrets are known, the magician becomes a mere manipulator, an actor in a suspense drama which has little impact because the audience knows the ending in advance.

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 04:28:06 AM »

Joshua Robinson

• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
i would love to see it as well, post the link here?
I am now a Business Representative for www.shuffleanddeal.com.au

Youtube channel for Shuffle and Deal: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuffleAndDealAus?feature=mhee

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 04:34:43 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Awesome! Can't wait to see it. ;)

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 05:53:26 PM »

MrLukeCarroll

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Sorry about the delay, my camera has gone missing, so decided to just use my little Digital Camera, hopefully the quality is good enough for you guys to see whats going on :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIMKFtjNE5M

P.S - Its awkward trying to use cards when one hand is holding a camera :P
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 05:57:29 PM by MrLukeCarroll »

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 08:46:49 PM »

S.G

It seems rather simple in concept to me. Just need like 2-3 days of practice.

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 02:09:01 AM »

MrLukeCarroll

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Yeah it's not a knuckle cruncher or anything, nor is it meant to be. Just something I worked out sitting on Facebook with cards in my hand :p

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 01:43:28 PM »

Billywiz

• Elite Member
Very good MrLuke, I love the cut, it took me a little while to get it down. Thanks for sharing this...Cheers.

Billy.