You are Here:
Playing Card Deck Stand

Author (Read 2747 times)

Playing Card Deck Stand
« on: January 18, 2012, 12:16:48 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Something popped into my head tonight which got me to work. There really isn't any kind of stands for playing cards or stands specifically made for decks themselves. Below are some mockup photos of a prototype I did tonight using my 3D software. Would you like to see this project continue? Thoughts?

Thanks!
Sean Whelan
3D Artist
Creator/Designer of Bicycle Galvanic Playing cards

Re: Playing Card Deck Stand
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 12:20:17 AM »

Joshua Robinson

• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
Thats a Very nice idea you got!! i think hardcore collectors may like it to display their rarest decks!!
I am now a Business Representative for www.shuffleanddeal.com.au

Youtube channel for Shuffle and Deal: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuffleAndDealAus?feature=mhee

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 12:21:20 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Thats what I was thinking. Everyone of us has a deck that means a lot to them, whether its a rare one or just from a design aspect. We all want a way to display it and this would help

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 12:23:36 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
The idea is great, but the design doesn't really suit a deck of cards imo. You should try something less curvy, and you could easily save on production cost by making it much lighter. ;)

EDIT: Forgot to mention the thing looks pretty unstable, it looks like the deck would fall with the wind from a closing door.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 12:24:47 AM by Moon.exe »
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 12:29:03 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Keep in mind that's just a prototype moon. I posted it on here because I didn't know if I should continue working on it unless I got a lot of feedback based off the concept. Ill be posting another prototype later today : P

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 12:29:36 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I really like that and would buy a few of those if they became available.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 12:30:44 AM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos
It is nice and all but it seems like it wouldn't be that hard to make. I don't know what materials this would be made but i could most likely make this out of clay if i wanted to.Also i would rather take the cheaper path then pay a premium if i can get the same results using a different cheaper method.

Regardless i an a collector at heart and if these were customized for the galvanic deck for example i would buy it.
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 12:31:11 AM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
lets say probably u have it there for long periods of time and it makes a dent on the box and or on the cards make it more suitable for the cards less about the fashion of the card stand probably add a little square to the middle point to it that would make it better for the back of the deck of cards ?? :D

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 12:50:05 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 12:52:46 AM »

Joshua Robinson

• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
Much better prototype!!! i prefer this one much more!! you could customize them for certain decks/ companies!!!

Youtube channel for Shuffle and Deal: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuffleAndDealAus?feature=mhee

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 12:53:59 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

: D if you guys really like the idea by all means I will contact a company to manufacture these.

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 12:55:31 AM »

Joshua Robinson

• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
i LOVE the idea, contact T11, E and other companies and see if you can customize some for them to sell

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 12:56:32 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 12:59:18 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
The model obviously needs some refining but that is much better already! I think rounded edges similar to what you did with the deck itself would be nice, but on certain edges only. You can probably figure out which ones. And maybe make the base support for the deck a single piece, but that's just me, others might prefer it this way.
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 01:58:48 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I was fond of the rounded-edge design, personally.  I could envision them as being stackable and sold in packs of 3, 6, 12, whatever.  It could be made easily enough using a computer-driven lathe and a single piece of wood, plastic or metal, or even made out of injection-molded plastic.  The new design looks more traditional, but at the same time less interesting.

If you do decide to stick with the new, add a cross-bar along the top of the stand for more stability of the deck resting in it, and make the leg collapsible (sort of like a small ladder) for storage/packaging convenience.

Basically, as I'm seeing the new version, you're making a miniature easel/photo stand, built a touch beefier to hold the weight/bulk of a deck of cards.  Perhaps to me that's why I liked version one so much - it's quirky, it's different, it has a cool factor to it.  The second design looks like something Wal-Mart is already selling in the photo frames aisle.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 02:07:37 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 02:58:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
If you hollow out the bottom, you can make them stackable like lawn chairs.  I like this over the other design - it's functional yet also unique and artistic.  If the price was right, I might buy a few of these.

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 03:14:52 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
This is funny because I was thinking about this while I was sitting in class today!!

I really like the designs thus far. I'm more inclined to go with a less curvy design because I think it keeps more of the attention on the deck.

I think the price is really what's key to a product like this. Some people may pay big bucks for this if they really want ot display some decks, but for the majority they won't spend more than the price of a deck on one of these. (that's just my thoughts). So keeping the price down would be key. It shouldn't be too hard to do that with such a simple design.

If you could make a quality stand for relatively cheap, I think this would be a huge hit!!
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 03:25:19 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
This is funny because I was thinking about this while I was sitting in class today!!

I really like the designs thus far. I'm more inclined to go with a less curvy design because I think it keeps more of the attention on the deck.

I think the price is really what's key to a product like this. Some people may pay big bucks for this if they really want ot display some decks, but for the majority they won't spend more than the price of a deck on one of these. (that's just my thoughts). So keeping the price down would be key. It shouldn't be too hard to do that with such a simple design.

If you could make a quality stand for relatively cheap, I think this would be a huge hit!!

Considering that about 90% of the stand sits behind the deck while it's on display, I don't think it would affect one's focus when looking at the deck straight-on.

The second design just looked too mundane, like it was something any big-box store is already selling but for photos instead of decks.  It was the kind of stand someone with some wood, glue and skill with a plunge-cut saw and a Dremel tool could make as a Saturday morning project.  But that curvy design - ain't no way some hobbyist is putting that together without some pro-grade skills, and it's very unlikely to turn up at K-Tar-Wal-Get-Mart...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 03:27:53 AM by Good@Sabacc »

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 05:25:00 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I'm not looking for some fancy stand though. I just want something that gets the job done.

I like the idea of a unique stand but in my opinion a curvy stand just doesn't mesh well with a deck. I think a more box-y stand (like the first one) fits the box shape of a deck. The curvy deck would go better with... a bottle of wine. Just how I see it.

Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 01:18:27 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I like the mix prototype best. There was a guy selling stands for decks on ebay but they were complete crap.
This is a really good idea and I'd definitely buy some to display my decks. You should look into getting them made.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 10:03:26 PM by MagicAddictz »

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 02:58:55 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I like the mice prototype best. There was a guy selling stands for decks on ebay but they were complete crap.
This is a really good idea and I'd definitely buy some to display my decks. You should look into getting them made.

So which one is the "mice" prototype?  Does it squeak and have fur?  :))

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 06:12:44 PM »

IAmTheChin

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular

• Facebook:
Sleek. Very notcot. More of a gift-oriented item though. Most card collectors will want something that can display their top 6-12 decks.  It's like having a favorite band. It's so hard to choose one. Honestly though it's crazy marketable. Different colors, materials, etc.

Honestly the biggest potential in this product would be if you could manage to create linkable legs so it was more modular based rather than entity based. That way you could get a size thats perfect for the user. You can have a stand that holds 1 deck up to a million decks. Pop a hook or ball and joint, or other connecting mechanism to the edges and you got yourself a winner. Furthermore, if you actually get them produced it becomes a power player in a beginning portfolio.

Good luck
-Chin
SEASONS Playing Cards - Changing Design

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 06:59:15 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
Love the idea! i'm verging on 100 cards in my collection now and running out of room in my boxes. I think I'd like to start displaying my decks and this would be awesome to have!
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 03:42:19 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
While I think this is a nice idea, I agree with what Chin said - most collectors would prefer stands that display multiple decks.
But hey, depending on the price, I might pick up a couple to display my favourite decks!
"What have future generations ever done for us?" - Groucho Marx