You are Here:
Guess who I had dinner with tonight?

Author (Read 9581 times)

Re: Guess who I had dinner with tonight?
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2012, 06:22:29 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
so i REALLY hate living in a small town. :( you are very lucky. :( jaw dropped when i read this. :)

)
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2012, 07:03:24 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Amazing story!!

Told my wife about it and the first thing she asked... Did he levitate for him?

HAHAHAHAH

Women...

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2012, 09:31:42 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Don, you are so lucky first you won a mana deck and that is pretty lucky, then you meet DB!!! That is amazing he is my favorite magician. I think you should go buy a lottery ticket!
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2012, 12:01:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Excellent read!!! Seems 2012 is already a lucky year for you!

I've been VERY lucky since taking up magic.  All the more reason to stick with it, right?

Congratulations man :D you are insanely lucky. Just reading your story and looking at the pictures gives me goosebumps! David Blaine is the reason I got into magic, so I have always looked up to him. I dunno if I would have been able to preform in front of him though, my nerves would be going nuts. Kudos to you though for keeping it cool and preforming your magic :)

It felt a little hairy getting up to do it, but once I was in the rhythm and performing, I just stuck to the routine and rolled right along.

Did u tell him about this awesome site so that maybe he would drop by? Btw the are seriously very nice people. I bought a black split spades recently from a local card shop and it had a cut in one of the corner of the double backer. I emailed a pic of it to them and they agreed to replace my deck without any questions asked. When the package arrived, there was not one but 2 decks(one red and one sepia split spades) in that db leather box. And best of all, both decks are autographed by THE man himself. That really made my day.

I didn't get a chance to mention the site by name.  And yes, they're awesome when it comes to customer service.  Look at what happened with me!

Still waiting to hear about this secret feature in the deck. Why can't you at least tell us about it because someone here may know if it is a feature in the deck or not.

I'm going to look independently first to see if it's already on the 'net.  While I didn't sign any disclosure agreements, he was kind enough to me to show me the trick and I'm not sure how widely he wants it to be known.

so i REALLY hate living in a small town. :( you are very lucky. :( jaw dropped when i read this. :)

Hey, there are benefits to living in a small town.  You're not paying over $1,200 a month for a one-bedroom apartment, are you?

Amazing story!!

Told my wife about it and the first thing she asked... Did he levitate for him?

HAHAHAHAH

Women...

CBJ

That's a valid question!  But I think at this point, since he did that on TV years ago, he's moved on to new material by now.  There was a bit of mentalism and a good handful of card tricks.  Asi Wind did quite a few of those - one of the more impressive ones was, using my deck (the Bike Masters in the picture that I asked him to sign), shuffling the mixed deck, cutting it perfectly in half, revealing that each half was perfectly sorted by color, then stacking the halves back together, placing the deck with my hands, asking me to shake it a few times, then asking me to fan the NOW REMIXED deck!

Don, you are so lucky first you won a mana deck and that is pretty lucky, then you meet DB!!! That is amazing he is my favorite magician. I think you should go buy a lottery ticket!

Perhaps...  Or perhaps this IS my winning lottery ticket!  ;)
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 06:37:08 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
OK, so I searched on the Internet and on the first Google page I found out that the White Lions secret that David used on me for his effect has already been published and is in the webiverse.  I won't reveal the entire trick and how it was performed, but I will tell you what's already out there.

When you open a box of White Lions, you probably do as I do: stick your fingernail into the paper seal and tear it along the curve of the "thumbnail" cutout in the back of the tuck box.  When you lift the flap, you'll see the phrase
P  L  A  Y  I  N  G    C  A  R  D  S
but with the center portion of the phrase covered by the top half of the deck seal.  Peel that back, and there's a reveal underneath - the phrase actually reads:
P  L  A  Y  I INDIGO  C  A  R  D  S

David found a very unique way to use that reveal than by simply peeling the sticker back.  It was really cool - but that part will still remain a secret, at least until he performs it on video somewhere...  Meanwhile, you'll have to think of your own creative ways to use the reveal!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 06:37:49 AM by Good@Sabacc »

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2012, 04:57:13 PM »

Joshua Robinson

• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
I dont do that, i flatten it out with an exacto and then slowly run the blade around the thumb cut out

but sounds awesome!
I am now a Business Representative for www.shuffleanddeal.com.au

Youtube channel for Shuffle and Deal: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuffleAndDealAus?feature=mhee

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2012, 02:11:44 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I dont do that, i flatten it out with an exacto and then slowly run the blade around the thumb cut out

but sounds awesome!

To quote one of my more irreverent co-workers, "Same sh1+, different smell."   ;)
Whether your tool of choice is an Exacto blade or your fingernail, you (like most people) cut it along the thumbnail curve at the top of the back side of the pack.  Some people just make a straight razor cut, but then you have a piece of the sticker still exposed, which you need to remove or do something with, and the "under seal reveal" is a non-starter - sure, it's still there, but it's not hiding under the sticker seal, is it?

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2012, 02:22:59 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
I like to use a card from another deck to cut the seal. I just use the edge of the card like a knife/fingernail. ;)
Usually it cuts right along the curve naturally, but sometimes the sticker just decides to be an ass and cuts in a straight line... And then your seal is ruined. :(
That's an interesting reveal, but I can't think of any ways to use it right now. Then again, I don't perform magic anyway. ::)
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2012, 03:34:31 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I like to use a card from another deck to cut the seal. I just use the edge of the card like a knife/fingernail. ;)
Usually it cuts right along the curve naturally, but sometimes the sticker just decides to be an ass and cuts in a straight line... And then your seal is ruined. :(
That's an interesting reveal, but I can't think of any ways to use it right now. Then again, I don't perform magic anyway. ::)

David thought of a killer way to use the reveal - of course, since he had the reveal made, right?  But I'm still keeping that a guarded secret.  I might want to use it someday myself!

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2012, 02:52:52 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hey gang - I just heard back from one of David's assistants!  She said they'd be in touch!

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2013, 06:52:15 PM »

mirciusx

• Elite Member
  • love, peace, cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Great story, love to read it! :) You lucky... :D
"Art is never finished, only abandoned" – Leonardo daVinci

"Measure twice, cut once." - Don Boyer

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2013, 10:46:28 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Wow, someone went into the wayback machine for this one. Glad they did.
Don that is friggin crazy cool. Did you ever hear back from them?
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2013, 10:54:59 PM »

mirciusx

• Elite Member
  • love, peace, cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I've up this topic because I find a link on a thread posted by Don, two days ago :) And why not, because it's a great story, I wrote a few words :D
"Art is never finished, only abandoned" – Leonardo daVinci

"Measure twice, cut once." - Don Boyer

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2013, 11:25:13 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

It was less than two years ago - about 21 months.  That's "wayback" for you?

After that last contact I mentioned, I didn't hear back.  I stopped trying to reach them and let it be.  I might bump into him again through Bill Kalush sometime down the road - I'd be curious to see if he remembers me.

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2013, 07:34:31 AM »

CordedTires

• Forum Regular
Glad this got bumped up - a great story and I never would have seen. Always good to hear about talented famous celebrities who aren't jerks in private.

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2013, 02:30:09 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

It was less than two years ago - about 21 months.  That's "wayback" for you?

After that last contact I mentioned, I didn't hear back.  I stopped trying to reach them and let it be.  I might bump into him again through Bill Kalush sometime down the road - I'd be curious to see if he remembers me.

I think he would remember you. If he's like anyone else who enjoys playing cards and is involved in the industry, he's trolled around on the boards. As a producer, he has to be curious of customer opinions. He might not admit to knowing you from here though.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 08:32:00 PM by Anonymous »

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2013, 05:47:02 PM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
Wow!  A great guy, talented magician, out in front of the card industry, and David Blaine had the honor of meeting him!   ;)

See what I did there

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2013, 06:40:16 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
We all put our pants on one leg at a time. I played poker with James Woods once at Foxwoods. Mr. Woods was playing well until I got seated at his table.  I ended up going heads up with him on two hands, beating him both times. I must of loosened him up because he busted out shortly after at 1 AM in the morning. Sometimes you just know when a player is ready to go home. I did not know who he was until everyone at the table wished him a good night. Had I known, I probably would have folded a hand just to keep playing with him.

Don's got a BIG PAIR OF BALLS asking to drop his stuff off in person. I don't know that I would have done it. Still a great story.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 08:35:05 PM by Anonymous »

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2013, 09:06:30 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I think he would remember you. If he's like anyone else who enjoys playing cards and is involved in the industry, he's trolled around on the boards. As a producer, he has to be curious of customer opinions. He might not admit to knowing you from here though.

I was referring more to the fact that we met in person rather than knowing me from this board.  I'm inclined to doubt he checks the boards.  Sy over at D&D has flat-out said they don't check the boards.

Don's got a BIG PAIR OF BALLS asking to drop his stuff off in person. I don't know that I would have done it. Still a great story.

Actually, it was more about applying logic.  They'd already paid shipping on the wrong item, and there would be shipping costs to both send the item back and get the correct item shipped.  That cash adds up, while a half-gallon of gas was a lot cheaper.  They weren't obligated to have me meet David - they could've simply made the exchange in the downstairs office and bid me farewell.

I'd considered it a possibility I'd meet him, but I certainly wasn't holding my breath on it - and I figured if I did meet David, it would have been a simple "hi" and a handshake, done.  Instead, because we shared the same initials, David decided on a whim to meet me.  I got pretty lucky.

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2013, 09:39:34 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

I was referring more to the fact that we met in person rather than knowing me from this board.  I'm inclined to doubt he checks the boards.  Sy over at D&D has flat-out said they don't check the boards.

Actually, it was more about applying logic.  They'd already paid shipping on the wrong item, and there would be shipping costs to both send the item back and get the correct item shipped.  That cash adds up, while a half-gallon of gas was a lot cheaper.  They weren't obligated to have me meet David - they could've simply made the exchange in the downstairs office and bid me farewell.

I'd considered it a possibility I'd meet him, but I certainly wasn't holding my breath on it - and I figured if I did meet David, it would have been a simple "hi" and a handshake, done.  Instead, because we shared the same initials, David decided on a whim to meet me.  I got pretty lucky.

I thought you and David had met up a few times since then? I remember right after the White Lions Blue Series B release, you posting about sitting with David in his office while they were investigating emails reporting false defective decks. Something about people using the same damage pictures for two different complaints?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 09:51:05 PM by Anonymous »

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2013, 11:04:22 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I thought you and David had met up a few times since then? I remember right after the White Lions Blue Series B release, you posting about sitting with David in his office while they were investigating emails reporting false defective decks. Something about people using the same damage pictures for two different complaints?

Nope - that all occurred the same night.

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2013, 05:09:54 PM »

Sovereign

• True Member
This story is crazy awesome. One of my friends got invited to Blaine's in-suite-party during Blackpool magic festival a while back and he said he was super nice. (He also said Dan & Dave were incredibly weird but there you go)

Phill

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2013, 06:53:37 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
This story is crazy awesome. One of my friends got invited to Blaine's in-suite-party during Blackpool magic festival a while back and he said he was super nice. (He also said Dan & Dave were incredibly weird but there you go)

Phill

It's not something I'll forget anytime soon.

The Bucks aren't that strange, but then again, I met them in a slightly more informal setting.  They seemed OK to me.  I wouldn't have given them a lift to their hotel otherwise!  :))

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2016, 07:55:58 PM »

52whitelions

Just ready the whole story, Don.  Unbelievable!  Very jealous you got a chance to pick his brain!  If i had the chance to do card tricks in front of him, im almost sure the entire deck would be falling out of my shaky hands the entire bit. lol 
- Priestley