You are Here:
Dan & Dave Variety Box (combined topic)

Author (Read 19826 times)

Re: D&D Variety Box, Winter/Spring 2014
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2014, 04:12:39 PM »

DJT

My VB arrived also, I will try and get some photos up later. here are the details:

Assembled: 2/14
Edition No.: 69/144

Decks included:

HMNIM
Black Jaqk Cellars
Red Imps
Fulton's October
S&M Private Reserve
Deck Starter Limited
Silver Monarchs
Ultimate Deck
Clip Joint Private Reserve
Arrco Tahoe # 1383/2500
Fulton's Chinatown: Game of Death
Blue Aristocrat

Not a bad batch of VB IMO.

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2014, 04:14:04 PM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
Well my fellow card collectors, the VB(s) have arrived.

Do you want the good news OR the bad news?

Both! But maybe bad news first :P

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2014, 04:38:01 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

The bad news

1. That burning question about the "no two VB's are the same". I bought two and they are both identical. What are the odds!

2. My package came to me beat the shit out of. Not D&D's fault. Just stating a fact.

The good news

1. D&D packages their stuff so well, nothing was damaged.

2. Completely happy with the decks I got.

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2014, 05:00:37 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover

The bad news

1. That burning question about the "no two VB's are the same". I bought two and they are both identical. What are the odds!

2. My package came to me beat the shit out of. Not D&D's fault. Just stating a fact.

The good news

What decks did you land?  It looks like the people that jumped on the deal early got some nice ones (saw DJT got Game of Death, Private reserved, numbered Tahoe, nb).

When I ordered mystery decks the packaging was destroyed too, so much so that they had to replace a few of the decks, but they were cool about it.
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2014, 05:37:26 PM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran

The bad news

The good news

See!! Nothing like a good ole sift kick to the goods to make two things that were identical, not so much anymore.
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2014, 05:48:30 PM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
Also they are still in stock. You could ask for a replacement VB as well as state your disappointment they were all the same decks. Might increase the chance of some Variety.

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2014, 09:11:53 PM »

Aptombstone

• True Member
Just got mine, came in great condition.

Of the variants, I got a Silver Monarch, Blue Tahoe (2500 limited), Game of Death Chinatown (YES!), and a normal blue Aristocrat.

The game of death was a welcome surprise and the other cards I got made this bundle a worthwhile purchase.

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2014, 11:07:35 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

The bad news

The good news

What decks did you land?  It looks like the people that jumped on the deal early got some nice ones (saw DJT got Game of Death, Private reserved, numbered Tahoe, nb).

When I ordered mystery decks the packaging was destroyed too, so much so that they had to replace a few of the decks, but they were cool about it.

2 Red Chinatown
2 Red Monarchs
2 Red Aristocrats
2 Blue Tahoe
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 04:12:10 PM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2014, 05:26:24 AM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I got:

Edition No.: 81/144

Decks included:

HMNIM
Black Jaqk Cellars
Red Imps
Fulton's October
S&M Private Reserve
Deck Starter Limited
Black/Gold Monarchs
Ultimate Deck
Clip Joint Private Reserve
Arrco Tahoe # 1331/2500
Fulton's Red Chinatown
Red Aristocrat

Side note: I also got a deck of the DeckStarters (original 500?!) and there is a difference. The AoP deck is not wrapped in cellophane, and has a black spade seal. The DeckStarter deck that came in the box is wrapped in cello and does not have the seal.

Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

http://www.phillycardco.com

« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2014, 05:39:11 AM »

doubledouble

• True Member
^ I got the variety box too, and the DeckStarter that came with it has no cellophane and has a black spade seal.

« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2014, 06:04:19 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
What was in the vintage?

Lots of AWESOME stuff, hard to find.  I think there was a Jerry's Nugget in it, among others.

http://dananddave.com/contests/2011-holiday-giveaway/

That's the best image of the box I can find, and it's not the best.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2014, 12:12:35 PM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran

Hey - put that air humper back in its holster!  You're scaring the normals!  :))

That got me.

You...dear sir, owe me a new keyboard. I reverse snorted my tasty beverage when I read this.

« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2014, 02:51:52 PM »

Wilko

• True Member

• Twitter:
I took the plunge this afternoon. I will be happy if I get a game of death Chinatown. All the decks with the exception of ultimate, private reserve & game of death Chinatown I have. If I get those 3, along with deckstarter I'll be a happy chappy.
Keeping my fingers crossed!

« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2014, 03:57:06 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Took a closer look at the decks in the variety box. Those GOLD Private Reserve S&M's are phenomenal. The Red Whispering Imps & Red Chinatown decks look amazing now seeing them in person.

I got:

I don't see where your getting the Edition No. from?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 04:26:30 PM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2014, 04:31:14 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I got:

It's on the front part of the box, under the flap, once you move the flap. I can take a pic if that doesn't make sense.
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

http://www.phillycardco.com

« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2014, 10:35:32 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
I got:

It's on the front part of the box, under the flap, once you move the flap. I can take a pic if that doesn't make sense.

Ok, I will have to look again. I was looking at the certificates for 20 minutes scratching my head. Thank you. That's good news.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:56:21 PM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2014, 11:16:32 PM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
Took a closer look at the decks in the variety box. Those GOLD Private Reserve S&M's are phenomenal. The Red Whispering Imps & Red Chinatown decks look amazing now seeing them in person.

Would you pick the gold private reserve over the branded black reserve note? Just curious.  I'm now leaving towards getting the box.  I figured I'd have more chances getting the black reserve note,  but this maybe one of the few chances I have of getting the gold private reserve...

« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2014, 11:36:30 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

Would you pick the gold private reserve over the branded black reserve note? Just curious.  I'm now leaving towards getting the box.  I figured I'd have more chances getting the black reserve note,  but this maybe one of the few chances I have of getting the gold private reserve...

Every collector is different. I know you favor art over usage. I did pick S&M. I don't own fed 52 because they don't fit my personal needs in a playing card. The art is absolutely awesome. I did buy one of Jackson's Red Reserve Note Screen Prints, signed and numbered.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:37:10 PM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2014, 12:47:21 AM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover

I absolutely agree with !An0nym0u5 that it comes down to personal preference if you had to pick between the two individual decks.  That being said, it's definitely possible the Gold Private Reserves will be made available in some other fashion (say, on art of play for individual sale at a likely overpriced amount). The main appeal of the box is the variety and quality of the 12 decks as a group.  If I had to choose between individual decks though, I would probably go with the Black Notes, their just so gorgeous.

Now, this is would I would actually do if I were in your shoes (but for some people this may be impossible or too much of a hassle):  The Black Reserve notes on on sale for $45 + tax and shipping.  I would get the Variety Box, keep the Gold Reserve, and sell a handful of the decks in the box as a package for like $60 to fund the purchase of the Black Reserves.  The market hasn't quite been set yet, but the "Deckstarter" deck may fetch a few bucks and it's not exactly the best looking deck I've seen.

Just my 2 cents.
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2014, 01:53:45 AM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran

Every collector is different. I know you favor art over usage. I did pick S&M. I don't own fed 52 because they don't fit my personal needs in a playing card. The art is absolutely awesome. I did buy one of Jackson's Red Reserve Note Screen Prints, signed and numbered.

Okay, thanks for your input :) So when you said the gold S&Ms were phenomenal, did you mean primarily because of the way it handles? I think the tuck box is very nice. I haven't seen the courts, but the tuck box itself is well designed, so that's kind of why I want it.

I absolutely agree with !An0nym0u5 that it comes down to personal preference if you had to pick between the two individual decks.  That being said, it's definitely possible the Gold Private Reserves will be made available in some other fashion (say, on art of play for individual sale at a likely overpriced amount). The main appeal of the box is the variety and quality of the 12 decks as a group.  If I had to choose between individual decks though, I would probably go with the Black Notes, their just so gorgeous.

Now, this is would I would actually do if I were in your shoes (but for some people this may be impossible or too much of a hassle):  The Black Reserve notes on on sale for $45 + tax and shipping.  I would get the Variety Box, keep the Gold Reserve, and sell a handful of the decks in the box as a package for like $60 to fund the purchase of the Black Reserves.  The market hasn't quite been set yet, but the "Deckstarter" deck may fetch a few bucks and it's not exactly the best looking deck I've seen.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh, that's a really good idea.  In regards to the Deckstarter deck, there's already one on eBay selling for $80. If someone buys that and a bunch of people follow suit with pricing, I will be super tempted to do just what you said.

« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2014, 02:32:40 AM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
Im actually selling a Private reserve as we speak. Its the only one that isnt a "buy now" for 5,000 dollars.

« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2014, 06:41:06 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Okay, thanks for your input  So when you said the gold S&Ms were phenomenal, did you mean primarily because of the way it handles? I think the tuck box is very nice. I haven't seen the courts, but the tuck box itself is well designed, so that's kind of why I want it.

Well no. I have not handled the actual cards yet. I mean the entire S&M series in terms of usage. The private reserve is phenomenal because you can tell by picking one box of cards up and putting it in your hands, it's not just an ordinary deck. It's meant to exhibit the highest quality. The attention to detail and tightness of its clean yet complex tuck design are instantly apparent.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 06:44:43 AM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2014, 12:28:13 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Hey - put that air humper back in its holster!  You're scaring the normals!  :))

That got me.

You...dear sir, owe me a new keyboard. I reverse snorted my tasty beverage when I read this.

Hey, it's not my fault you don't have a keyboard condom.  Always practice safe sext!

Speaking as someone who got bored with Dan and Dave deck designs a long time ago, I'd go for the Black Reserve Note - but speaking from a practical perspective, it's a matter of what will make you happier.  Use that as your guide and it's harder to make bad choices.  Maybe you'll get the other deck down the road - and maybe you won't.  But the fact remains that there's ALWAYS new decks - they're starting to become like locusts!  Always something interesting around the corner.  So you didn't get THIS interesting deck, maybe you'll get THAT interesting deck...

Im actually selling a Private reserve as we speak. Its the only one that isnt a "buy now" for 5,000 dollars.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!  Anyone who pays US$5,000 for ANY brand-new pasteboard deck needs their head examined - and lobotomized!

Okay, thanks for your input  So when you said the gold S&Ms were phenomenal, did you mean primarily because of the way it handles? I think the tuck box is very nice. I haven't seen the courts, but the tuck box itself is well designed, so that's kind of why I want it.

Well no. I have not handled the actual cards yet. I mean the entire S&M series in terms of usage. The private reserve is phenomenal because you can tell by picking one box of cards up and putting it in your hands, it's not just an ordinary deck. It's meant to exhibit the highest quality. The attention to detail and tightness of its clean yet complex tuck design are instantly apparent.

All that means is that they spend good money making a really cool package.  It's the exact same reason why cigarette companies started using that box design in the first place - it made the product look more appealing.

I don't know about you, but while I may like a good box as much as the next guy, I buy the box for its contents, not because it's a pretty box!  To my knowledge, the Gold Reserve deck is IDENTICAL to the v7 Carbon deck, except it has gold accents.  I doubt it even has the unique courts and pips they used for all the decks through version 6!  It's likely got the standard faces of v7, a little recolored, and the same exact back design they've used for the past five versions of S&M, including this one.  Same Ace of Spades, same jokers.  It's why I have a hard but humorous time believing that there are idiots out there shelling out four figures for a freshly-printed 4-ounce pile of paper!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 12:30:11 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2014, 12:51:02 AM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran

That got me.

Hey, it's not my fault you don't have a keyboard condom.  Always practice safe sext!

Speaking as someone who got bored with Dan and Dave deck designs a long time ago, I'd go for the Black Reserve Note - but speaking from a practical perspective, it's a matter of what will make you happier.  Use that as your guide and it's harder to make bad choices.  Maybe you'll get the other deck down the road - and maybe you won't.  But the fact remains that there's ALWAYS new decks - they're starting to become like locusts!  Always something interesting around the corner.  So you didn't get THIS interesting deck, maybe you'll get THAT interesting deck...

Hahaha! Well, thank goodness I actually have a keyboard condom! If I didn't, it would have been a pity if I had been drinking or eating while reading that comment. xD

I ended up buying two Branded Black Reserve Notes. It was an impulse buy. I know I had been thinking about it for a while, but I still consider it an impulse buy because I definitely had not planned on purchasing it that day. I woke up and checked my phone (yeah, this is the first thing I do when I wake up, because I'm really that addicted to the internet) and saw Jackson's post about the Reserve Note "Black Edition" Force Deck and I just had to have it. I like that the seal is broken because now I can finally look at and handle the Reserve Note "Black Edition" cards without feeling guilty that I just tore open a deck worth $150-$200. I ordered it right away, since I figured there was only one force deck available for each type of card and I wanted to make sure I got a card with illustrations (either the jokers, aces, or court cards). Since I was already ordering form the site, I figured I should get the Branded Black Reserve Notes, too. So my order came out to be:

- 2 Branded Black Reserve Notes
- 2 Reserve Note "Black Edition" Force Deck (Jack of Clubs and Jack of Diamonds)

And that came out to almost as much as the cost of the Variety Box. Whoever got the diptych jokers is lucky, because that was a really good deal - two decks for $45 as opposed to $60.

And here I thought I was exercising good restraint because the day before, I almost decided not to purchase either of them!

« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2014, 09:57:32 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
All that means is that they spend good money making a really cool package.  It's the exact same reason why cigarette companies started using that box design in the first place - it made the product look more appealing.

I don't know about you, but while I may like a good box as much as the next guy, I buy the box for its contents, not because it's a pretty box!  To my knowledge, the Gold Reserve deck is IDENTICAL to the v7 Carbon deck, except it has gold accents.  I doubt it even has the unique courts and pips they used for all the decks through version 6!  It's likely got the standard faces of v7, a little recolored, and the same exact back design they've used for the past five versions of S&M, including this one.  Same Ace of Spades, same jokers.  It's why I have a hard but humorous time believing that there are idiots out there shelling out four figures for a freshly-printed 4-ounce pile of paper!

Well... Of course we buy the product for its contents but a "designer" spends as much time designing the tuck box "conceptually" as they do each court card. I'm NOT talking about those illustrating their decks. Tuck boxes are still a very important part of the design. I don't recall any cigarette box ever being engineered sideways. Thought and craftsmanship was still put into it, rather a standard uspcc box. Just because D&D upgraded the box for this private reserve, does not make the cards any less applicable. In this case they are as applicable as any other version of S&M.

I believe these are the deluxe v7 court cards. Would I prefer the older style. Sure. Since the v7 deluxe version uses the more standard court cards already, I'm fine with continuing the trend for this private reserve.

4 figures? I wouldn't pay 3 figures for ONE. Even if it were a JN. A collectible box set of 12, less < then $200. Sure.  I like value for my $.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 01:07:01 PM by !An0nym0u5 »