You are Here:
rare decks?

Author (Read 2388 times)

rare decks?
« on: December 27, 2011, 09:25:15 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
so im wondering what are the requirements for a deck to be rare, and is it only rare if its sealed? i have decks that i see online for $20 $25 is that rare? im trying to see if i have decks that are rare or if all mine are common.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

Re: rare decks?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 09:47:36 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Pick up a dictionnary and look up "rare". ;)
As to being opened or not, that does affect the value, but a rare deck is a rare deck.
If you don't know, chances are you don't have any... Unless you got lucky and bought something while it was still available.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 09:49:25 PM by Moon.exe »
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 10:12:33 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Yeah, rarity is simply determined by how many of them exist, same as anything else.  They're not necessarily valuable.  I could get some crayons and make the rarest deck in the world, wouldn't be worth anything.

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 10:28:58 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Speaking of which, I have a deck here that is made of about 50 cards, including a 3.5 and an 11 of diamonds, with "TWO" written on the 2 of spades, with standard bicycle back. Do you think it's worth anything? ::)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 10:29:55 PM by Moon.exe »

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 10:34:34 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Speaking of which, I have a deck here that is made of about 50 cards, including a 3.5 and an 11 of diamonds, with "TWO" written on the 2 of spades, with standard bicycle back. Do you think it's worth anything? ::)
.... I`d Buy It ;)
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 01:56:59 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

What is that deck called? Or where did you get it?

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 02:06:30 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Sounds like you're holding a Bicycle Rider Back gaff deck.  What cards does the entire deck consist of?  Did you get it sealed or used/opened?  It could be the USPC-made one that I've seen floating around or it could be a Carnival deck - they made an accompanying video for that deck, they're from Magic Makers Inc.  In fact...  I just looked at my Carnival deck - no gaffs like the ones you described.  The E gaff decks pretty much all have the 3-1/2 of clubs gaffs and the 13 of diamonds (or some other suit), but no 11 of (whatever suit), and the TWO doesn't sound familiar, either.  Ultragaff doesn't have either gaff.

Gaff decks are a great deal in many ways.  Individual gaff cards aren't cheap - a dozen of them can easily exceed the cost of an entire gaff deck of over fifty.  You just have to see what the gaffs are first - it won't help you much in terms of savings if you buy a whole deck but only end up using two or three gaffs from it.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 02:11:51 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Guys, I was kidding, I made those gaffs myself with split cards and sharpies... ::)
That's why there's less than 52 cards, too.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 02:12:14 AM by Moon.exe »

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 03:21:49 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Never kid a magician about his gaffs...   8)

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 10:17:03 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
i thought that was a new gaff since you mention 11 of diamond .. how did you make the 11 of diamond ?

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 11:21:48 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
i thought that was a new gaff since you mention 11 of diamond .. how did you make the 11 of diamond ?

Well, it is foretold that on a full moon if you strike 7 incense burners, positioned in the formation of the ancient Djin Bel Ma'Shuma Taag and recite the alphabet backwards, a standard 10 of diamonds (positioned in the centre of the formation, floating in rat's milk) will be transformed into the fabled 11 of diamonds.

Or, I guess you could just use a red pen...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 11:24:25 AM by Kanped »

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 12:40:11 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
well my thing is depending on who you would talk to something could be rare or maybe not, to the people in my town, an orange deck is rare.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 02:04:57 PM »

Angel_magic

• Forum Regular
so im wondering what are the requirements for a deck to be rare, and is it only rare if its sealed? i have decks that i see online for $20 $25 is that rare? im trying to see if i have decks that are rare or if all mine are common.
"rare" is a very ambiguous term. But I suppose if you're trying to quantify it, a good place to start would be with whether or not the deck is out of print or not. A deck cant really even begin to be considered rare until it has been put out of print. After that it's really just based on opinion.
If you're trying to find out a deck's value (very different meaning) then I'd suggest just searching it on ebay. That's usually a pretty accurate representation of how much a deck is worth.
Check out my thread with a BUNCH of rare decks and accessories for sale!
http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.php?topic=11812.0

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 02:40:59 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Split a random diamond card, cut out one of the diamonds and glue it in the middle of a 10? ::)
If you cut it out carefully and make sure to position in perfectly, it should look pretty natural. As for the number, you can erase the 0 and experiment with a sharpie and a straight edge like a piece of paper. Though I'm not there yet for lack of the legendary 90% alcohol that my local drugstores seem to lack... And I found that an eraser causes the finish of the card to disappear with the ink.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 02:42:15 PM by Moon.exe »

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 04:28:33 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Yeah like many have said before me "rare" is a term relating to number. The value of cards and the demand is a different story. There is a company selling "the rarest deck in the world" because they only are selling 7 of them! But I wouldn't consider it an extra special deck or sought after by collectors.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 10:01:08 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Well, it is foretold that on a full moon if you strike 7 incense burners, positioned in the formation of the ancient Djin Bel Ma'Shuma Taag and recite the alphabet backwards, a standard 10 of diamonds (positioned in the centre of the formation, floating in rat's milk) will be transformed into the fabled 11 of diamonds.

Or, I guess you could just use a red pen...

Dude, you keep that up, you're gonna make me wet my pants...  It won't be pretty...   :o

well my thing is depending on who you would talk to something could be rare or maybe not, to the people in my town, an orange deck is rare.

Perhaps - it's really more like "uncommon".  They're never seen one before, but they're out there.  To a New Yorker, a cow pie is "rare"; to a dairy farmer, they're about as common as dirt!  Now, if it was an orange Rider Back deck printed in 1902 with the box still sealed by the original tax stamp, as part of a custom order for the King of Monaco, THAT would be RARE; practically one-of-a-kind, even.  (Such a deck doesn't exist, but I think you see what I'm getting at here.)

Split a random diamond card, cut out one of the diamonds and glue it in the middle of a 10? ::)
If you cut it out carefully and make sure to position in perfectly, it should look pretty natural. As for the number, you can erase the 0 and experiment with a sharpie and a straight edge like a piece of paper. Though I'm not there yet for lack of the legendary 90% alcohol that my local drugstores seem to lack... And I found that an eraser causes the finish of the card to disappear with the ink.

Some do erasures and redraw pips or numbers, others simply do more cutting and pasting.  Diamonds are popular for this type of gaff because of the relative ease with which you can use a razor-edged knife to slice the straight edges of a diamond as opposed to the various rounded shapes of the other suits.

If I were to do this, I'd do the following, if using a standard deck design:

First, split a 10 of diamonds face layer from the back layer.

Next, split a ten of hearts, and a nine of diamonds (or a three, a five, a seven - any one with a reasonably isolated diamond pip on it somewhere).  If you wanted to save cards and don't care about "burning" another deck, a 10D from another deck would do fine for both.

Slice out of the 10D face the zeroes in the indices and a diamond shape in the center of the card.  Replace the zeroes with ones from the spare ten's indices, replace the blank shape with a diamond from a spare card.  Glue it all back to an intact card back, apply pressure when you know there's no excess glue on the face (plus a dusting of fanning powder in case you missed something) and voila - homemade gaff card.

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 11:01:44 PM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
thank man but does the result look good ?? will it look weird or just fine

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 11:13:17 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
If it looked weird, I don't think he'd go through the trouble of detailing it for you... ::)

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 04:45:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The first attempt will probably suck, depending on your pre-computer cut-n-paste skills.  But the later attempts will never look better if you don't make the first one.