You are Here:
Wizard of Oz playing cards Bicycle & Impressions by L.F Baum - KS

Author (Read 1833 times)

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Two deck KS. USPCC & MPC Impressions technology.
Wizard of Oz playing cards Bicycle & Impressions by L.F Baum
by LUX Playing Cards

USPCC deck tuckbox

USPCC deck card back

USPCC Deck card faces

Wizard of Oz "Emerald City Edition" with glossy "Impressions" Back

Impressions Emerald City Edition - Emerald Green Borders

Oz Emerald City glossy raised embossed card back

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 11:09:27 AM by Fes »
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

Re: Wizard of Oz playing cards Bicycle & Impressions by L.F Baum - KS
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 02:07:32 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Wizard of OZ decks are starting to get up in the ranks with Zombies, Steampunk and Minimalist decks.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 05:51:26 PM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
anyone else have any thoughts on this?  I really love the number cards but the rest is...meh. 

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 06:26:47 PM »

HudsonDesign

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
  • Upcycle your life

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
anyone else have any thoughts on this?  I really love the number cards but the rest is...meh.

Me too.  I quite like the numbers, although I always prefer a straight white background behind it all personally.

But illustrations like this on the courts always remind me of a digital poker machine (you call them slot machines in the USA i think).

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 10:58:14 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I like this, overall I think this is a much better deck than the recent Oz decks we've seen. I particularly enjoy the AoH and the jokers all "you smell!" face with the bucket of water haha. Also loving the art on the Tin man, it's a little more emotional looking than I think of Tin man but it's done very well and he looks great also the witches. Good things there.

Couple things I don't care for, the impressions on the back of the cards. I can't use that for poker, so yea rough. The USPCC decks marbling effect on the card back, can't use that for poker either haha. Kind of puts me in a tough spot of enjoying the decks so I'm in for one kinda deal. Don't get me wrong, I like a deck that I can use for solitaire and other uses too, just that Wizard of Oz would be so much fun on the poker table. I would have liked to see the marble fade to white on the faces and a white boarder on the card backs.

The illustrations used in the courts are well done in my opinion. The overall is very classy which I think is great. It's very solid art in my opinion. Number cards stand out crisp and clear even with all the ghosting going on in the background, usually not something I am too much of a fan of to be honest. I don't feel like the spades and clubs in the background are all that cool, but the overall works. The card back is great, aside from the one way backs from either marble or Impressions rubberstuff. So far as the art is concerned I am enjoying that. Twisters forming the O with the axes and broom the Z, inventive and it's a win, in my opinion.

A few negatives sure. I also think there really is a lot to like about these as well. Definitely one of the better Oz decks to pop up lately.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 01:03:09 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

But illustrations like this on the courts always remind me of a digital poker machine (you call them slot machines in the USA i think).

The ones that allow you to play poker on a computer screen are referred to as "video poker" machines.  The rest are called slot machines.  I'm thinking they were probably among the earliest machines to have a coin slot on them.  These days, all slots and video poker machines are all digital - mechanical machines were rife with flaws that skillful cheats could exploit.  Not that the digital machines are perfect, but they're harder to mess with.  I'd presume they're connected via a closed network with no access to the Internet.

The art is nice.  The theme is tired.  Not for me.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 10:19:52 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
I still want to know why they keep calling it the "Bicycle deck" when it is NOT branded?   >:(

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 01:08:51 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I still want to know why they keep calling it the "Bicycle deck" when it is NOT branded?   >:(

I think they are mistakenly using Bicycle for USPCC.
Hence the old saying
All Bicycle decks, are USPCC decks, but not all USPCC decks are Bicycle decks.  That's a fun fact!   ???
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 01:39:37 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

It's an all-too-common mistake.  They call the company "Bicycle" rather than "United States Playing Card Company" because people know the Bicycle brand far better than the company that makes and sells it.  To collectors, though, it makes them seem unknowledgeable and inexperienced.  Which they are, so...

Plus "Bicycle" is short, a syllable shorter than even the company's shortest name, "USPC."
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/