You are Here:
World War I 100th Anniversary Playing Cards (KS)

Author (Read 3194 times)

Re: World War One Deck Launched (KS)
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2014, 05:23:33 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

Yeah you are correct. I am using amazon fulfillment for shipping which ships from the US.

You'll have to let us know how that works out for you - some fulfillment services do a terrible job, using the cheapest, most easily damaged packing materials filled by questionably competent employees.

People just don't know how fragile and susceptible to dents these decks are somehow. It's like they had playing cards for the first time their whole life, and expect an envelope with one layer of bubble wrap to protect it from being thrown around.

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2014, 06:51:31 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Yeah you are correct. I am using amazon fulfillment for shipping which ships from the US.

You'll have to let us know how that works out for you - some fulfillment services do a terrible job, using the cheapest, most easily damaged packing materials filled by questionably competent employees.

People just don't know how fragile and susceptible to dents these decks are somehow. It's like they had playing cards for the first time their whole life, and expect an envelope with one layer of bubble wrap to protect it from being thrown around.

Bear in mind, most people see playing cards as a disposable commodity...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2014, 11:07:58 AM »

alvinhy

• Elite Member
  • SiShou Playing Cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

Bear in mind, most people see playing cards as a disposable commodity...

Thats just disheartening to hear. After getting hooked into designing playing cards, I must say I have a different perspective now.
Its more of an art form and something you should treasure.
Maybe i'll even start my hobby collecting playing cards :bosswalk:

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2014, 12:21:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Thats just disheartening to hear. After getting hooked into designing playing cards, I must say I have a different perspective now.
Its more of an art form and something you should treasure.
Maybe i'll even start my hobby collecting playing cards :bosswalk:

Well, there's a reason why our category of collecting is categorized as "ephemera".  By definition, it means "things that exist or are used or enjoyed for only a short time" and "items of collectible memorabilia, typically written or printed ones, that were originally expected to have only short-term usefulness or popularity."

Despite all the bells and whistles put into a pack of cards, they're not meant to last forever.  Think of how many parents back in 1938 cleaned their children's rooms and tossed away copies of "Action Comics #1", which is now the world's most valuable comic book.  An "excellent"-graded copy sold, according to articles dated 25 Aug. 2014, for $3,200,000 on eBay.  It's so valuable not just for the first appearance of Superman, but also because it's incredibly rare, with I think fewer than ten copies known to exist today.  It, too, was never meant to last this long, but that handful of copies did survive.

Most playing cards are used up, dirtied, food-stained, written-on, torn and, when I was younger, placed in the spokes of bicycle wheels.  Funny how one bike can destroy a pack of Bikes!  Anything left after all of that ended up in the trash.

Point of trivia: "ephemera" is a plural noun, the singular version being "ephemeron".
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 12:21:53 AM by Don Boyer »

Re: World War I 100th Anniversary Playing Cards (KS)
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2014, 06:56:27 AM »

Samscott10

• Newcomer
  • Don't worry, Be happy...
Hey guys, I'm going to take the project down and look over everything again. The project was a little rushed and simply was not the best work I was capable of. If anyone has any helpful comments, Please inbox me. I cannot improve without your help.

Thanks
I enjoy cards....

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2014, 10:24:14 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hey guys, I'm going to take the project down and look over everything again. The project was a little rushed and simply was not the best work I was capable of. If anyone has any helpful comments, Please inbox me. I cannot improve without your help.

Thanks

Well, it DOES say in my signature that I'm a consultant for playing card design and development...

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2014, 01:39:46 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
And people would say he knows to much for his own good, he must help others.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.