You are Here:
Year of the Ram Playing Card Calendar by Bicycle® by MM Brand Agency (KS)

Author (Read 1943 times)

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Year of the Ram Playing Card Calendar by Bicycle®

A custom-illustrated deck of playing cards from MM Brand Agency that celebrates the Year of the Ram and serves as a 2015 calendar.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 11:29:02 PM by Rob Wright »
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: Year of the Ram Playing Card Calendar by Bicycle® by MM Brand Agency (KS)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 04:19:48 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
What a gimmicky idea.  Why would I want to leave a card outside of the deck?  If my desk was in the sun, the card would probably end up faded before the month was over!  There are plenty of fine calendars out there already.  Or was it just easier to make 12 cards into calendar months rather than making them into actual cards?

The Year of the Ram is in the Chinese/Asian Lunar Calendar.  Why are the courts dressed to look almost like figures from Eastern Europe?  Nothing about the design appears Asian in nature to me.

It looks like someone decided to throw a few disparate, unrelated ideas together into the blender to see what the result would taste like.  Let's just say I'm not drinking that Kool-Aid.  It reminds me of those goofy-looking camping knives that kids got when I was younger - it had a knife blade, a spoon and a fork in the same device.  It made holding and cutting the steak at the same time out of the question!  Or perhaps it's like those car-boats that never seemed to actually work reliably.

Make a deck or make a calendar - don't slam both together into one mess and call it playing cards.  And if you're making a deck based on a year in the Asian Lunar calendar, why not make the design fit the theme?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 01:52:14 PM »

MMBrandAgency

• Newcomer
Hey Don,

We're sorry to hear you're not a fan of our deck. First, let me know that we have been crafting calendars that are inspired by the Chinese Zodiac for over 15 years now. Until this past year, we have used these calendars as gifts for other creatives, designers, business partners etc. in our local community. After crafting cards for this many years, we realized it might be a fun creative journey to explore other inventive ways to craft a calendar.

After much research, we discovered many parallels that exist between a deck of cards and a calendar. There are 52 cards in a deck and 52 cards in a year. There are 4 suites in a deck and 4 seasons in a year. The cool and warm colors represent day and night.

As you can see, there was quite a bit of thought (and passion) that went into this deck. You're right, it's prone to get weather damaged if left out for long periods of time - as is any product. You're also right that it's not a literal translation of the Chinese Zodiac, but based on a Swedish textile art direction that matches the personality of the ram.

The great thing about creativity is that there's quite a bit of subjectivity to be had.

At any rate, if you're interested in seeing our past calendars - take a look at the video on our kickstarter: http://bit.ly/mmram15

Cheers and thanks for your candid input! :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 01:52:36 PM by MMBrandAgency »

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 03:56:13 PM »

publius

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
  • "Fortune favors the brave" - Publius Terence
I like them. The faces are very unique and creative.  :)
Graphic Designer; Playing Card Addict; soon to mix the two...

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 03:58:36 PM »

MMBrandAgency

• Newcomer
Hey thanks, Publius. Our designer custom-illustrated those and did a ton of exploration. I'll pass along the word!

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 05:43:28 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I really like the courts, pips, indices, color choice. Good stuff. Not a fan at all of the backs at all, they're beyond bad, they're terrible. While I don't get the calender bit tied into the deck, I understand it's the schtick with this one and something I hadn't really seen before. Now that I have seen it, I can understand why it's not something I've seen before. If I did see it I blocked it out.

Courts, pips, indices, all show great promise. It can be the year of the whatever and I'd still like those aspects. I would be interested in this deck with even a half handed attempt at a playable back and the calender bit's popped off the cards. As it is, I have no interest in another deck that's going to have zero use for me.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 02:20:56 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hey Don,

We're sorry to hear you're not a fan of our deck. First, let me know that we have been crafting calendars that are inspired by the Chinese Zodiac for over 15 years now. Until this past year, we have used these calendars as gifts for other creatives, designers, business partners etc. in our local community. After crafting cards for this many years, we realized it might be a fun creative journey to explore other inventive ways to craft a calendar.

After much research, we discovered many parallels that exist between a deck of cards and a calendar. There are 52 cards in a deck and 52 cards in a year. There are 4 suites in a deck and 4 seasons in a year. The cool and warm colors represent day and night.

As you can see, there was quite a bit of thought (and passion) that went into this deck. You're right, it's prone to get weather damaged if left out for long periods of time - as is any product. You're also right that it's not a literal translation of the Chinese Zodiac, but based on a Swedish textile art direction that matches the personality of the ram.

The great thing about creativity is that there's quite a bit of subjectivity to be had.

At any rate, if you're interested in seeing our past calendars - take a look at the video on our kickstarter: http://bit.ly/mmram15

Cheers and thanks for your candid input! :)

I do understand what you're getting at.  What you might not be aware of is that there's been a series of Asian-themed lunar calendar decks that have been coming out in the past handful of years, most of which are quite attractive.  With all the deck designers and companies I've spoken with over the years, you'd be amazed to learn just how much of their business comes from that part of the world - culturally, playing cards are extremely popular throughout most if not all of Asia.  If this had been done as a more Asian-themed deck, your profit potential would have been considerably higher.

Most of those designs I mentioned aren't tied down to a specific year, in the sense that the (for example) Year of the Dragon deck isn't tied to one specific Year of the Dragon, but all of them.  Calendars are not usually part of the design and at most you might find a list of upcoming years in which the Year of the Dragon will occur.  Your deck, on the other hand, practically has an expiration date on it - the last date that appears on your calendar.

Want to take this deck and make something better of it?  Consider this: a perpetual calendar.  Imagine each card displaying two months each, Jan/Feb, Mar/Apr, etc. to Nov/Dec.  There would be 14 variations for Jan/Feb - one for each day of the week, with a version for standard and leap years that have the date February 29.  The remaining month pairs only need seven variations.  The total number of variations of the six month pairs is 49 - a full deck with three cards extra.  You can use two of these plus the jokers to present art pieces for the equinoxes and solstices, leaving one card left - which can be used for a nice, fancy Ace of Spades and the information about the deck's producer.

For the art, you can make many choices - you can use just the calendar images alone, you can superimpose the months over the standard cards (perhaps with your courts), you can even make enough of a border around the months to place the assorted pips there and maybe create courts that are leaning on the months in their cards - there's a lot of leeway for creativity.  You can make the months oriented in the same direction or in opposite directions, requiring one to rotate the card for displaying the other month on it and providing a different view.

For the desk display, instead of a simple slot that does nothing to protect the card, create a card protector - two layers of glass or plastic, treated for UV protection so the card doesn't fade if the display is exposed to sunlight or curl in conditions of excess humidity.  It keeps the card flat, unfaded and dry the whole time it's on display.

Now, not only does the design NOT have an expiration, it becomes a memento that can be kept (and USED) for years, given as gifts, handed down from senior to junior, etc.  The "Ram" idea seems like it's shoehorned on to what is otherwise a presentable deck.

I watched the video and I know it's something your company has been doing year after year with some success and approval from critics.  That's a great thing, but I'm showing you just one way to bring it a step further - even from the perspective of someone who doesn't collect playing cards, I would find it unusual to buy a "calendar deck" like this with a display for twenty-eight bucks.  I'd be wondering what to do with it when the year was over - do I keep it or throw it out like all my other old calendars?  A perpetual calendar, however, wouldn't get thrown out - it's reusable, year after year; a far more green idea than making products with a limited window of use.

Additionally, nothing is stopping you from making new designs each year, variations on the perpetual calendar theme, still giving you an annual product to sell to the world.  One could even just buy the new deck and reuse the previous year's display, making it more affordable while also providing them something new to present on their desk, if they chose to do so.

My ideas may or may not be useful to you - I just came up with them off the top of my head.  But I hope that it at least gets you thinking in different directions.

BTW: just what does the card back look like?  You haven't actually displayed one on the project page, have you?  All I see are the two sides of the box.

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 08:42:30 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
I am SO confused right now, in the video they mention that there are 52 weeks in the year and 52 cards in a deck, but only 12 of these are part of the calendar?
I have to agree with Don that apart from the AoS (EDIT: it is the Ace of Clubs?) and the box there is not relation to the ram though out the rest of the deck.
As far as the designs of the court cards (that are not devoted to seemingly random months) I like this style. Not enough to back the deck however.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 09:48:03 AM by Rose »

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 09:01:04 AM »

publius

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
  • "Fortune favors the brave" - Publius Terence
If the "2015 the year of the ram" image is the back design, I'll agree with Fes. While I like the courts, pips, and indices - that back design sinks the ship for me - if that is the back design. Could you clarify for us?
Graphic Designer; Playing Card Addict; soon to mix the two...

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 02:50:42 PM »

MMBrandAgency

• Newcomer
Hi there,

Yes, you are correct about the "2015 Year of the Ram" copy being the back of the card. The creative team was attempting to present something bold, clean, and simple to offset the more heavy design of the face cards.

Thanks so much for the input, everyone!

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 07:40:41 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Hi there,

Yes, you are correct about the "2015 Year of the Ram" copy being the back of the card. The creative team was attempting to present something bold, clean, and simple to offset the more heavy design of the face cards.

Thanks so much for the input, everyone!

Looks like almost all of us feel the same. We hate the card back and don't care for the calender bit. We like the pips and courts a lot though. I think the front of the tuck ram, sans the colors, could be a decent dual element card back without too much effort. Could turn into a nice playable deck of cards. What are the odds of you having this turned into an actual deck of playing cards and launching that on KS?
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 12:01:48 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

What are the odds of you having this turned into an actual deck of playing cards and launching that on KS?

When calculating those odds, we consider a few things.

The goal is $15,000.
They've reached $1,712 in funding, just under 12% or 1/8th of the funds needed.
The project has a term of 30 days.
Only 11 days remain on the project.

According to Kicktraq, they've been averaging $90 in pledges per day.
Assuming a straight line rate between present funding and the goal. they require $1,107 per day in funds - more than 12 times the amount of funding they're presently pulling in.

If they continued at the current rate of funding and had no term date, the project would fund in approximately 148 days - February 21, 2015, two days after the Year of the Ram (a.k.a. the Year of the Goat or the Year of the Sheep) has begun.

To summarize: the deck has a snowball's chance in hell, unfortunately.  There's a lot to the design that's very attractive, but just enough that isn't to push the odds well out of its favor.  If I had to guess, I'd say they'll probably pay for these out-of-pocket, which is what I'm assuming they've been doing in previous years before they used Kickstarter, and distribute them as they have in the past.

It's far too late in the game to completely change the design - backers backed this design, not something radically different (even if it's something many would consider better, someone will always pop up insisting this design is the one they backed, not something else).  Their best shot, if they did have a new design in mind, would be to cancel this one and introduce version 2.0 as soon as possible - I'm assuming they want these in print and ready to roll in time for the Lunar New Year to begin.

Side note: according to this interesting Washington Post story, the Year of the Sheep is considered unlucky as a year in which to be born - as sheep are thought of as followers, it's believed most such births will result in people lacking leadership capability, who will be unsuccessful in business and marriage.  Many Chinese were rushing to get pregnant earlier this year, in order to have a child born while it's still the Year of the Horse - some have even inquired about scheduling Caesarian-section operations to guarantee that the birth of their child will be in time.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 12:05:21 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 01:58:02 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
@MM Brand Agency - Just seen this thread.  I feel like I'm late for the meeting with a Starbuck coffee in hand.  You really need to change your back of card like Fes suggested.  It's a obvious "1-way" back with text.  It's hard to put text on the back of card and make it work, most ppl don't like it.  I think Don suggested you take the text "2015 Year of the Ram" and put it on your AoS.  To me, it looks like your Ram is on the AoC.  Maybe you can move it to the AoS and your theme would still work.  I don't know you only show a few cards.  The AoS has the history of a special informational card.  Or you don't have too;  You have an art deck.  You can do whatever you want.  As long as your indices are good every card can be considered a Joker.   

In your last deck "2014 Year of the Horse, I'm glad researched indices and got it right.  That deck was not functional.   Fes would have been all over you if you posted that pic here. :)

In making a new back of card, the simplest solution is make a "2-way" mirrored ram using the colors you picked for your suits.  Also too, the top left part of the back of card is important.  There is this thing called fans.  You might want to consider it.  I really do think ppl are turned off by your back of card.  I liked your video.  As a group it seems like MM wants to make a good quality product, but you need a few tweaks here and there.  Well, maybe a squeeze or two.

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 08:36:43 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Um, yeah, Sprouts - not only are you late to the meeting, but your Starbucks coffee got cold and you stopped for gas and an oil change on the way...

I seriously doubt they plan to change a thing.  They have their way of making these things, they've been doing it for years and are clearly not inclined to take advice on the topic, though they are polite about it.