You are Here:
Introducing Watson7

Author (Read 1714 times)

Introducing Watson7
« on: February 17, 2014, 01:47:47 PM »

Watson7

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Hello All,
Don Boyer has asked me to introduce my self  so blame him if what follows is completely unbearable.
My real name is Rod Starling and I am one of the founding members of the 52 Plus Joker card collectors Club. Over the years, I  have written many articles for the club's quarterly News Letter, Clear the Decks. At the present time there are over 30 of those articles available to the club's members for viewing on the club's website, www.52plusjoker.org. There are also many articles by other club members that are of interest to collectors and those of you who have not joined the club should give membership serious consideration.I also authored a book titled The Art and Pleasures of Playing Cards.

My interest in playing cards goes back to my childhood at a time when I found myself fascinated by the court cards. That interest grew when, as a teenager, I started learning card tricks and contact with cards was constant. The very first deck that expanded my interest was the Swiss JJ1Tarot. It was the first time that I ever saw the suits of Cups, Swords, Coins and Batons. In due course, I came to appreciate many other foreign decks and, inevitably, early American decks as well. My collection still encompasses both foreign and American decks and I would suggest to all collectors that great as our early American cards are, the beauty of some of the foreign decks cannot be denied. I am posting a scan of just one mid-nineteenth century French deck which is engraved and hand colored. In the future I will post scans both foreign and American.

Re: Introducing Watson7
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 02:39:11 PM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
Welcome Rod. It's an honor and a pleasure to have you here at the Discourse. I, personally, am excited to read all your posts (just like I read all your articles!)

If you need anything, please don't hesitate to contact me, Don, Tom, or any other moderator. We are here to help.

Enjoy!

PS. You forgot to mention your love for sleight of hand!

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 03:26:44 PM »

Watson7

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Thanks, Lee. I do have a couple of questions.
First, do we know how may subscribers to this Forum are members of 52 Plus joker?
Second, since I have posted many decks on the World of Playing Cards website, do you think that my postings here on the Forum will be redundant?

P,S. I did mention doing card tricks and I know that a selected card being found as the eleventh one in a middle pile is not sleight of hand but I can actually do a little better than that. (Do you remember that old one?) 

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 04:32:41 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
First, do we know how may subscribers to this Forum are members of 52 Plus joker?
Second, since I have posted many decks on the World of Playing Cards website, do you think that my postings here on the Forum will be redundant?

P,S. I did mention doing card tricks and I know that a selected card being found as the eleventh one in a middle pile is not sleight of hand but I can actually do a little better than that. (Do you remember that old one?)

Yikes Rod - I know exactly one card trick and that's the one I can wow my grand-kids with. That's because it is math not cardistry.
 I'd say keep posting some great things here. Many [most] of our members rarely frequent WOPC.

And indeed welcome and we look forward to your contributions on other posts as well. Don't neglect the Plethora for some gems and keep an eye on the Source.
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 05:22:26 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Welcome Rod, it's nice to have yet another Playing Card "Guru" on the site, looking forward to some of your insight.

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 01:11:19 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Rod, that was a wonderful introduction!  I'm with Lee in that it's a pleasure and honor to have you here as a member.  We're here to promote the hobby and to help new members get settled in and feel warmly welcomed.

As far as members, we have over ten thousand forum users and to date 28 of them have the rank of "52 Plus Joker Member".  Naturally that doesn't count the staff - Lee, Tom and myself are all members, as is the moderator of A Cellar of Fine Vintages, Jonathan Rock.  I can't speak for our other mods, Curt (omni-moderator) and John (Deck Battles).  More 52+J members are joining as word spreads among them - the goal is to get as many of them here as possible.

Before Tom bought the forum, we had a vibrant, active user community who love collecting playing cards, but lack the experience and knowledge of vintage cards, instead focusing on new custom decks.  Tom's helping to usher in members such as yourself to register for the forum, people who have volumes of information on cards that weren't made recently, but may not know as much about the modern wave of custom deck collecting and the level of artistry that goes into making many of the best examples.  Knowledge starts flowing in both directions for the betterment of all involved.  Better still, as the forum users begin to realize the benefits of being a 52+J member, they're beginning to sign up for themselves.

Do you remember the old Reese's Peanut Butter Cups TV ads, about someone's chocolate getting into another person's peanut butter and vice versa?  That pretty much sums up the environment we're working to create here - and believe me, the end result is very tasty!  Please, make yourself at home and we hope you enjoy the place as much as we do, if not more.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 02:38:23 AM »

HeartQ

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Rod is one of the most knowledgable players in the world of antique playing cards but he also has an appreciation of the finer reproduction decks which have been published more recently. We are delighted he has joined in and know you will all enjoy his contributions. Thanks for joining us "Watson" we hope that we might have a few mysteries for you to help solve!
Judy Dawson

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 07:04:02 AM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
Whoa!! Welcome aboard Rod. Im glad Don convinced you to join! Cant wait to get your take on... well.. everything!
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 11:50:54 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Whoa!! Welcome aboard Rod. Im glad Don convinced you to join! Cant wait to get your take on... well.. everything!

I just convinced him to post in the IY board!  Tom probably had a hand in the rest.

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 11:51:28 AM »

Watson7

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Hi Don,
I thank you and all of the other kind members for the warm welcome extended to me. I look forward to sharing whatever may be of interest to all concerned. It is exciting to have this vast new area to explore but on the other hand, I feel like a mosquito in a nudist camp----- I don't know where to get started. My great editor, HeartQ, has mentioned my interest in good repro decks. She has seen several of them that I showed in the 52 Plus Joker News Letter, "Clear the Decks" Usually, it is historical European decks that are reproduced but collectors should not fear the area. Many of the repros are of decks of which there are very few originals in existence and in one case, where there is only one original in existence. I have often pointed out that good repro decks are analogous to the field of fine art where prints of one of a kind masterworks are highly prized and costly. I will post some good repro decks in due course and I am confident that when their features, as I will detail them, are appreciated they will appeal to even the casual collector. They may even serve as inspiration to those members who are or aspire to be designers of playing cards because in order to succeed with anything new there must be an element of something old, something that the mind recognizes and feels comfortable with..

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 11:56:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hi Don,
I thank you and all of the other kind members for the warm welcome extended to me. I look forward to sharing whatever may be of interest to all concerned. It is exciting to have this vast new area to explore but on the other hand, I feel like a mosquito in a nudist camp----- I don't know where to get started. My great editor, HeartQ, has mentioned my interest in good repro decks. She has seen several of them that I showed in the 52 Plus Joker News Letter, "Clear the Decks" Usually, it is historical European decks that are reproduced but collectors should not fear the area. Many of the repros are of decks of which there are very few originals in existence and in one case, where there is only one original in existence. I have often pointed out that good repro decks are analogous to the field of fine art where prints of one of a kind masterworks are highly prized and costly. I will post some good repro decks in due course and I am confident that when their features, as I will detail them, are appreciated they will appeal to even the casual collector. They may even serve as inspiration to those members who are or aspire to be designers of playing cards because in order to succeed with anything new there must be an element of something old, something that the mind recognizes and feels comfortable with..

That's all excellent!  Even better - when you find good repros, let us know where to get them, too!

I get the feeling that you're going to fit in here very nicely.

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 09:49:42 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Hi Rod,

Welcome. This is a great place to hang out and talk/read cards for sure. I've really enjoyed my short time here. I'm looking forward to your knowledge sharing. What I've read so far has been intriguing.

James
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

http://www.phillycardco.com

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 10:33:58 AM »

Watson7

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Thanks< James,
What is you area of interest?
Rod. 

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 06:34:05 AM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
My interests are highly varied. I actually have been collecting cards on and off since I was a kid. I have, however, recently become very active again with the proliferation of custom decks initially brought to my attention via Kickstarter.

I enjoy both new and vintage decks. I have many more modern decks in my collection as they are currently more within financial reach and much easier to obtain (at least vs the vintage decks I currently like)  :) There is no one subject that appeals to me more than another. I try my hand at card manipulation and magic to my daughter's amusement. I'm also working on development of my own couple of custom decks, which I hope to eventually share here and launch on Kickstarter. I'm in the midst of reading through the Hochman's book and update and adding more decks to my wanted list weekly. LOL

By the way, nice username.  :D

James Watson
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 08:48:06 AM »

Watson7

• 52 Plus Joker Member
You certainly are diversified. Your real name has an interesting literary "namesake". You may already know this: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was friends with a certain Doctor James Watson. Both were members of the same  literary society. Sir Arthur's Sherlock Holmes stories were narrated by Doctor John Watson but is believed that "John" was just an attempt to hide the real source of the stories. In fact, in the story "The Adventure of the Man With the Twisted Lip", Doctor Watson',s  wife actually refers to him as "James". Sir Arthur slipped up there and 20 years later he did so again in a letter to his publisher in which he suggested a new set of stories based on the reminiscences of James Watson, M.D. If you search Yahoo for my article, The Case For the Real Doctor Watson, you may enjoy it.   

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 10:41:57 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Watson7
Are you familiar with Jackson Robinson's new Sherlock Holmes deck?
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 01:04:38 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Rod,

That was a very interesting read, so thanks for sharing. I really hadn't previously read to the depth that you wrote about my literary namesake. I will definitely be seeking out your articles on 52+J!

Thanks again,
James

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 02:42:10 PM »

Watson7

• 52 Plus Joker Member
That's good to hear. Most of my articles can be read on the 52 Plus Joker website. You might enjoy the one I did titled "Sherlock Holmes--Card Player" If you go to the website, click on Newsletter then scroll down to "search the index' and enter my name, Rod Starling, you will see the article listed. All you do then is open it. There are some vey nice decks pictured.