You are Here:
Playing Card Brick Boxes Question

Author (Read 4230 times)

Playing Card Brick Boxes Question
« on: December 24, 2013, 09:23:42 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Hey guys, I want to throw an idea your way:
I have a growing collection and no great way to keep them safe; right now they are all just stacked on a table in my room.
The idea I have been playing around with is making nice wood brick-boxes, lined (possibly felt or a soft ceder), with a clasp or sliding lid and embellished with neutral filigree designs (Heat branded designs?) on the sides.
Something attractive of course, but the focus would primarily be on function.

As a card collector would you be interested in a quality wood brick box you could use to store decks? Something not much bulkier than the standard heavy paper-stock brick boxes like USPCC provides in the range of $30-$45 USD?
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

Re: Playing Card Brick Boxes Question
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 10:35:56 PM »

MagikFingerz

• Forum Regular
Not that this isn't a good idea, but: If the goal is to store the bulk of your collection, wouldn't you rather have something bigger than a brick box?

Big thread on playing card storage (I assume linking to other places is ok as long as it's relevant)
- Tom

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 11:18:30 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
I actually store my entire collection in brick boxes. I put them in sideways, like books, so I have easier access to them. Unfortunately, you can only fit 11 decks into a box using this method. Still, it keeps my collection compact, organized, and cohesive. You can buy a set of 6 boxes on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pack-of-6-NEW-playing-cards-brick-boxes-white-/301022455779

The wooden brick box idea sounds lovely, but when you have over 200 decks, it just isn't economically feasible to store them all in beautiful, wooden boxes.

Although it would be awesome for storing your top 12 decks, or something. I actually think Uusi did release a wooden brick box.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 11:25:24 PM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 03:24:41 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Not that this isn't a good idea, but: If the goal is to store the bulk of your collection, wouldn't you rather have something bigger than a brick box?

Big thread on playing card storage (I assume linking to other places is ok as long as it's relevant)

Link away, my friend - I certainly don't object.

Meanwhile, we have a few topics on the same subject here.

http://aethercards.com/discourse/the-talk-park/playing-card-collection-displays-()/
http://aethercards.com/discourse/playing-card-plethora/how-should-i-store-my-cards/

I like my plastic, stackable drawers from Staples.  One standard drawer holds 45 cards, is easily removable but won't usually slide out and land on the floor (they have some unique drawer stops), it takes little square footage, allows for really easy access and can be safely stacked to about twelve-high when used for playing cards, putting it about as high as my pectoral muscles (I'm 5-feet-9-inches, or for you Canucks, 175cm).

For me, a wooden brick box isn't enough.  I have over 1,700 decks!  Plastic is cheaper and the drawers are very versatile.  For bulk decks still sealed, I use 5,000-card "monster" boxes available at shops selling sports cards or CCG cards - one box holds 125 decks very comfortably.  The walls are corrugated cardboard, very strong - you'd be surprised how strong corrugated cardboard can be.  As a kid I still remember one paper company advertising the strength of their product by building a Bell-curve shaped bridge of corrugated cardboard and driving a car to the top of it, parking it there.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 02:12:44 PM »

aceofhearts

Hiya guys i dont want to start new topic just for that so i will use this thread and ask here, but first Happy Cristmas and may 2014 bring you all decks you ever wanted and then even more lol!
So my question is
How much deck of cards you can put insite  Priority Mail Legal Flat Rate Envolope international15" x 9-1/2" 4 lbs max (1815~grams.)
I want to know in order to compare prices/services of usps and how much E charged me for 18 decks.
I payed 42$ for First Class but now i see they sended with Priority , which is wonderfull,  but then i saw this flat rate evelope cost 24$ so...yeah need to know. I waited 22 days (2nd Deceber order, they pack and ship now...) for shipping my item and if they somehow charged me near double for shipping it just too much to take it...
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 02:37:52 PM by aceofhearts »

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 04:54:16 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hiya guys i dont want to start new topic just for that so i will use this thread and ask here, but first Happy Cristmas and may 2014 bring you all decks you ever wanted and then even more lol!
So my question is
How much deck of cards you can put insite  Priority Mail Legal Flat Rate Envolope international15" x 9-1/2" 4 lbs max (1815~grams.)
I want to know in order to compare prices/services of usps and how much E charged me for 18 decks.
I payed 42$ for First Class but now i see they sended with Priority , which is wonderfull,  but then i saw this flat rate evelope cost 24$ so...yeah need to know. I waited 22 days (2nd Deceber order, they pack and ship now...) for shipping my item and if they somehow charged me near double for shipping it just too much to take it...

The cost of the postage is only one of the costs associated with shipping a package from Ellusionist to you.  People get paid to pack your stuff, suppliers get paid for providing the packing materials, etc.

As far as your package taking 22 days - you DO realize that it's the US Postal Service we're talking about, right?  This is the shipping company that makes a three-toed sloth look feisty by comparison.  They don't call it "snail mail" for nothing - and to put the cherry on top, you ordered during the Christmas shopping season, in a year that has the shortest possible shopping season any given year can have - only 26 days between Black Friday and Christmas Eve.

Additionally, E was rather busy and did suffer some backlog issues.  Perhaps if you mention that they'll do something to accommodate you.

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 12:56:52 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
So my question is

I'm not too sure, but another thing is i believe E packed it in a box as compared to envelope? And i believe USPS flat rate boxes cost more than envelopes as well.

Personally, i will go for box packaging irregardless as decks in envelopes usually have a much higher chance of getting damaged along the way. I have quite a few decks with minor dents and really hurts more so when i am shipping international. Also, some sites allow us to choose the different package sizes and i used to always try to save on shipping by selecting the cheapest available. But these are the ones that always have problems.

I once selected small BOX packaging for 14 decks, which the site allowed because they based the packaging on weight rather than size. End up it came in an envelope and about 8 of my decks were dented.

Just for info that i got from one of the distributors, Small, Medium & Large flat rate boxes pack 8, 72 & 84 decks respectively, I didnt really try myself so i'm not too sure how accurate, but it can be used as a rough gauge for you guys the next time it comes to selecting packages. But I do advise not to maximise to allow them to have some space for protection.

Anyway, back to the topic, i do agree here. If i would wanna store my collection, i would rather have a huge box or shelve than multiple wooden boxes.

No offense but i would rather get a lighter, cheaper brick box than a heavier, costlier wooden box. I'm sure the wooden boxes are nicer and offer more protection, but if i need to get 20-30 boxes at $30-45, it is going to be very costly.

When i get my new place some time this year, i probably do display shelvings wif storage for my decks, but meanwhile, i store them in clear plastic shoe boxes that i buy from a budget store at about $1.50USD. It can store about 36decks. Sure it is not a perfect fit with little gaps at the side because of the curve base, but it costs less than $50USD to store my whole collection...for the time being.  :P

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 06:41:02 AM »

aceofhearts

So my question is

The cost of the postage is only one of the costs associated with shipping a package from Ellusionist to you.  People get paid to pack your stuff, suppliers get paid for providing the packing materials, etc.

As far as your package taking 22 days - you DO realize that it's the US Postal Service we're talking about, right?  This is the shipping company that makes a three-toed sloth look feisty by comparison.  They don't call it "snail mail" for nothing - and to put the cherry on top, you ordered during the Christmas shopping season, in a year that has the shortest possible shopping season any given year can have - only 26 days between Black Friday and Christmas Eve.

Additionally, E was rather busy and did suffer some backlog issues.  Perhaps if you mention that they'll do something to accommodate you.
I know there is packaging/handling free ofcourse, but there is no way to be that much. Just no way. Impossible. It is too much. Also keep in mind that if usps wants 40$ on their site for shipping something, E would pay less for same package and then will match up usps price and add even more for fees and then will show how much u need to pay. So E is asking me for 42$, i see price is 24$ on usps, which means E probably payed 20$ and want me to give them 42...CRAZY..  this is just possibilities.. And If thats true... idk what i will do, will complain ofcourse somehow becouse is freaking too much so it got to be Box not envelope, and everything will make sense,  becouse box is like 36$ or smth. and 5-6$ fee would be  completely normal.
I have no problems with taking too long to ship my order becouse:
1. I can always open dispute in paypal for money back. And there is even shance i get my money back and later receive the pachage.. hehe.
2. E shipped my order with priorirty instead of first class for free...
3. E is making tons of promotion so i am still happy.
4. They even give free Treasure deck for those who waited too long.
And i still have the question.. how much deck u can put in that envelope?

@Purplelce Yes it might be a box as well.
I received few orders with envelope and every deck was completely fine. I have problems with boxes - almost everytime i have something little damaged...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 07:00:36 AM by aceofhearts »

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 09:25:21 AM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector

To answer your question, it honestly varies by how tightly and loosely you package the decks and how much protections you want to give. There's no this size envelope can and should fit X number of decks of playing cards. Your best bet, if you still have the envelope, is to test it out. Grab a bunch of decks and either some newspaper or bubble wrap to test out. If you're bored enough, any single envelope can hold one deck card, but one extremely protected deck.

But back to the topic. I think, for me, it's a price point and convenience. I enjoy using those cardboard boxes that sports card/trading card collectors use. They're cheap (under a dollar for the largest single width box that can hold between 19-20 decks) and like Don said, the cardboard is really really sturdy. Now if I wanted to display my collection, that'd be a different story.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 11:31:45 AM by bhong »

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 09:36:06 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I also have several thousand decks currently, and probably add an average of 6-10 decks a week to my collection. Of course it would be cost prohibitive for me to store everything in brick boxes like this, but even with my favorite decks, I'm constantly reorganizing and reshuffling as I add new rare (for me) decks, as well as multiples of my favorites. I use the large clear plastic "shoebox" like containers with snap on lids from Target. Easy to see, easy to access decks, easy to store. My prblem with a brick box (at least a non paper one) is that it would add bulk, and then I'd have to pind a way to store them. It's much easier to stick a single deck here or there than it would be to try to get a container to hold multiple brick boxes. now what I would really like to see are storage containers, flat, that would hold and display 4, 6, whatever decks flat. Something with a hinged lid with a glass or Lexan window. Something really classy looking that I'd be proud to show on an end-table or in my game rooms or something like that. Something affordable, not a $200 case. Something taht I could buy multiples of. I know that's straying from your question a bit, but I don't think that brick boxes, even in an inexpensive cardstock form, are very popular with folks. If they won't buy the inexpensive version, it will be tough to get them to buy a more expensive version, at least in any quantity, if that's what you're going for.

Maybe a nice quality brick box with that same clear window lid, to display the contents. A nice, furniture-quality piece.

Random thoughts, hope the info helps you. Take care.

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 10:20:56 AM »

Lukeout

• Forum Regular

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

And i believe USPS flat rate boxes cost more than envelopes as well.
[/quote]

Not to pour salt, but USPS flat rate boxes are free from the Post Office. They even print on the inside of them now because people were turning them inside out and using them for regular mail.
"Design is nothing more or less than the ability to go from what exists to what is preferred."

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 10:26:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I know there is packaging/handling free ofcourse, but there is no way to be that much. Just no way. Impossible. It is too much. Also keep in mind that if usps wants 40$ on their site for shipping something, E would pay less for same package and then will match up usps price and add even more for fees and then will show how much u need to pay. So E is asking me for 42$, i see price is 24$ on usps, which means E probably payed 20$ and want me to give them 42...CRAZY..  this is just possibilities.. And If thats true... idk what i will do, will complain ofcourse somehow becouse is freaking too much so it got to be Box not envelope, and everything will make sense,  becouse box is like 36$ or smth. and 5-6$ fee would be  completely normal.
I have no problems with taking too long to ship my order becouse:
1. I can always open dispute in paypal for money back. And there is even shance i get my money back and later receive the pachage.. hehe.
2. E shipped my order with priorirty instead of first class for free...
3. E is making tons of promotion so i am still happy.
4. They even give free Treasure deck for those who waited too long.

@Purplelce Yes it might be a box as well.
I received few orders with envelope and every deck was completely fine. I have problems with boxes - almost everytime i have something little damaged...

Ace, if you wish to pursue this inquiry, would you please start a new topic?  I think you've sidetracked this one enough.

If someone was looking for inexpensive storage, those monster boxes are hard to beat.  For five or six bucks, one can hold 125 decks and they stack easily enough.  That's over ten bricks.  But they get HEAVY.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 10:26:57 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 11:37:04 AM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector

If someone was looking for inexpensive storage, those monster boxes are hard to beat.  For five or six bucks, one can hold 125 decks and they stack easily enough.  That's over ten bricks.  But they get HEAVY.

I've see those boxes you're talking about, Don,and I think the weight moving around more than 10 bricks of playing card decks at a time is what prevents me from getting them. The ones I've got that hold a brick and a half is heavy enough.

Maybe a nice quality brick box with that same clear window lid, to display the contents. A nice, furniture-quality piece.

Are you thinking of a way better version of the variety brick boxes that D&D sale and use? Or something a wooden piece with a glass on the lid so you can see into your box? That'd be a pretty cool to have, but I'm wondering at the cost of that though it would make a really nice show-off piece to have.

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 12:40:13 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I've see those boxes you're talking about, Don,and I think the weight moving around more than 10 bricks of playing card decks at a time is what prevents me from getting them. The ones I've got that hold a brick and a half is heavy enough.

Are you thinking of a way better version of the variety brick boxes that D&D sale and use? Or something a wooden piece with a glass on the lid so you can see into your box? That'd be a pretty cool to have, but I'm wondering at the cost of that though it would make a really nice show-off piece to have.

A single box isn't so heavy - it's when you try to move more than a few at a time, even just to nudge them an inch or two.  You might as well be trying to push a wall of solid marble.

A cool idea would be a living room table with a glass top covering a whole lot of decks stored underneath!  You could put hundreds of decks in there and it's furniture.

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 01:11:10 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Thanks for all of feedback guys, I really appreciate it!

Sounds like what I'm thinking might work better on an individual 'made to order' basis, possibly through a platform like Etsy or it's kin.
I like the idea of a 'window' or a glass panel of some sort, I could probably easily make the sliding lid glass or lexan or possiby even make one of the sides etched glass/plexi/lexan.

My inspiration came from the D&D variety boxes, I like having an attractive box for my favorite decks but those boxes are cheap and flimsy. I realized there wasn't much of an available market for deck storage that was either affordable or held more than a couple decks outside of 'garage-storage' like tupperware or cardboard. I am going to start prototyping and see what I can come up with at least for myself and my smaller collection of decks and wanted to run the idea past more tenured collectors.

Thanks again guys and keep the feedback coming!
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2013, 01:20:59 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks for all of feedback guys, I really appreciate it!

Sounds like what I'm thinking might work better on an individual 'made to order' basis, possibly through a platform like Etsy or it's kin.
I like the idea of a 'window' or a glass panel of some sort, I could probably easily make the sliding lid glass or lexan or possiby even make one of the sides etched glass/plexi/lexan.

My inspiration came from the D&D variety boxes, I like having an attractive box for my favorite decks but those boxes are cheap and flimsy. I realized there wasn't much of an available market for deck storage that was either affordable or held more than a couple decks outside of 'garage-storage' like tupperware or cardboard. I am going to start prototyping and see what I can come up with at least for myself and my smaller collection of decks and wanted to run the idea past more tenured collectors.

Thanks again guys and keep the feedback coming!

Something shatter-resistant and coated for UV shielding would be preferable to glass - glass has a nasty tendency to shatter under certain conditions...  :))

The best ideas for larger-quantity storage would be something either crafted as furniture-style storage, or a piece of furniture meant to conceal a less furniture-like form of storage.  You can knock plastic tubs on appearance, but it's hard to knock them on effectiveness for protection from environmental factors like dust, water, insects, etc.  For smaller quantities, you could devise any number of solutions - there's the ever-popular wall frames, but there are other possibilities.  Doing it on a custom basis is actually a smart idea, since you can create pieces that perfectly suit the needs of the client and give it that unique, personal touch.

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 08:13:52 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

A single box isn't so heavy - it's when you try to move more than a few at a time, even just to nudge them an inch or two.  You might as well be trying to push a wall of solid marble.

A cool idea would be a living room table with a glass top covering a whole lot of decks stored underneath!  You could put hundreds of decks in there and it's furniture.

Don, that's a great idea, and they already make tables like that! I can't believe that I didn't think of that already!

D'oh!