MagikFingerz

• Forum Regular
Wow, that's incredibly... boring.

- Tom

Re: Shards :: Playing Cards by System 6 and USPCC now live on Kickstarter
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 01:37:13 PM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
The deck really wouldn't be that bad, but those court cards! It's like they sat down and said "what is the absolute worst way we can design these courts to fit our deck?"
The back design and cut in the tuck box is kind of neat. Even though I'm. Not sure what the cut out shape is supposed to be.

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 01:46:47 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
I find it kind sof look like the series of diamond cut decks that were out a while back

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/davidsitto/diamond-cut-playing-cards-deck

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 02:01:31 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Compared to their last project (Believe) this is kind of a complete change of direction for them. They went from the highly detailed to the minimalistic no detail, which isn't a bad thing in theory, but I don't think its presented well, not what I would have expected after Believe.

Not working for me, but as always, I wish them luck with their project  :)

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 11:56:20 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
The thing I like least is that you really can't tell Jacks apart from Kings.  In a standard deck, it's easy - in this deck, they're nearly identical.

Maybe I'm just getting fussy as I get older, but this isn't lighting any fires under my butt.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 12:25:52 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Shards?  I see bad jewel looking design. Not for me

$25,000 goal  :o

A Box Unlike ANY Other! (Double Die Cut)

This is a first for playing cards as we know, we are doing a DOUBLE DIE CUT BOX! That means the box will have the die cut in the center to identify the color, with a unique die cut at the opening tab (Half Moon).
Hasn't Paul done this for most of his projects?
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 06:01:40 PM »

System6magic

• Newcomer
  • www.system6magic.com
Hey guys,

Really sorry you are all disappointing in this deck. I personally fell it love with it when I saw this, and thought it had to be printed, with the simpleness of it, I wanted to go all out with the multiple metallics, I think we will print 5- 6 kinds of metallic front and back at the moment. Plus the Double Die Cut, and the new printing of Card Clips.

I have to say it is completely my doing this deck is happening, and I am sorry you guys (collectors) dislike it. I see it from an artistic point of view, and do believe it is a beautiful design. We didnt want to cheap out with one color and and standard box printing, hence the $25,000.

Thankfully we have some KILLER decks in the works, very much like if not more detailed and unique as the Believe Deck. If this doesn't fund, we will be in a very deep whole as we paid for the design, so maybe we have to hold those other concepts off for a while, hope it is not the case.  As you can see we are fans of detail, but also love minimal (i.e. our website).

We truly wanted a simple deck, that could shine, literally. Hope you all will enjoy our future works, but its all hard to judge. Some decks I wish would just have standard faces, or minimal changes like Monarchs, yet those would never sell for us..its a weird conundrum lol

So we will just have to stick to detail, and keep pushing our view of a different genre of cards like Believe.

Hopefully there are enough people who see the simple and artistic beauty within this deck to make it happen. We still need a lot of support.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Michael

P.S. Maybe we should sneak peek our next design here?

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 06:05:49 PM »

System6magic

• Newcomer
  • www.system6magic.com
BTW, we updated for  the new Court Cards.

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 02:15:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
BTW, we updated for  the new Court Cards.

Very much improved - I'm getting interested...

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 12:20:19 PM »

Lukeout

• Forum Regular

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Not my cup of tea as it seems almost like someone applied a photoshop filter to a standard deck, but I'm curious to see what the metallic stuff looks like in the real world. I do like the elegant letters for the royals though. I wouldn't call it minimalist as it's not really simplified, just blurred/kaleidoscoped - I'd probably call it "interpretive" or something similar. There are some very minimalist decks out now that make these look downright busy.

I do think the updated royals are a big improvement though!
"Design is nothing more or less than the ability to go from what exists to what is preferred."

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 09:34:39 AM »

ivan

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
FYI...

Project did not reach funding goal (only 30%) and was cancelled by the creator.

Recent Post:
+ Designers: Realising the Vision with Lotrek of Venexiana Playing Cards fb.me/6AdE6sqej
+ Analytics: Project by Numbers- Federal 52 Pt II http://fb.me/2OyvCJgXU
+ Kickstarter: 7 Questions with Lorenzo Gaggiotti of Requiem Playing Cards http://fb.me/WKgT2S0e

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 10:30:58 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
FYI...

Project did not reach funding goal (only 30%) and was cancelled by the creator.

I'm no KS expert, but why cancel a project? System 6 in particular. They've had successful projects in the past, why not ride it out and tweak the design, get and use the input your given. As far as I know, nobody was being flat out rude or disrespectful. Your gut tells you its not gonna happen....use the time to your benefit and relaunch with a better deck. If you really like the concept of your project, fine tune it. Is there any real benefit to canceling a project?

In my opinion if they could have found a better way to present the courts, it would have been a different story.....just my opinion of course.

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 02:42:19 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Sparkz, I agree with you, but if I remember correctly, they cancelled with only a few hours left in the campaign, so there was zero chance of funding. That said, I still hate it when creators cancel projects. I cut them some slack since they waited until the end, but I don't see why it would make a difference to cancel it versus just let it go until the end.
Maybe psychologically, cancelling is better than getting stuck with the "Funding unsuccessful" label.

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 02:46:08 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Sparkz, I agree with you, but if I remember correctly, they cancelled with only a few hours left in the campaign, so there was zero chance of funding. That said, I still hate it when creators cancel projects. I cut them some slack since they waited until the end, but I don't see why it would make a difference to cancel it versus just let it go until the end.
Maybe psychologically, cancelling is better than getting stuck with the "Funding unsuccessful" label.

I didn't realize they canceled that close to the end....that makes even less sense to me, maybe it is a pschological thing as you stated....maybe to keep that "Blemish" off your KS track record.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 02:46:56 PM by Sparkz »

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 02:53:18 PM »

Lukeout

• Forum Regular

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I think you cancel a project on KS when it's clear the project won't get funded. No reason to let it drag on - particularly if you are this far from making it. You can relaunch later (like we did with the Meeple deck), or just move on. I say this all the time on panels at gaming conventions, "The BEST thing you can do on Kickstarter is fail." You learn a bunch and sure you put your heart into it, but the real life damage isn't anything like it used to be in the pre-Kickstarter days where you also took tons of inventory risk.

Brush it off, try again and good luck to you next time System 6!
"Design is nothing more or less than the ability to go from what exists to what is preferred."

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 06:17:09 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
When you're that close to the end, unless you're planning a major retooling of the deck, you could just let the clock run out on it.  Some want to avoid the "stigma" of an unsuccessful project, but some backers think of a canceled project as being worse.

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 12:03:51 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
When you're that close to the end, unless you're planning a major retooling of the deck, you could just let the clock run out on it.  Some want to avoid the "stigma" of an unsuccessful project, but some backers think of a canceled project as being worse.

I think it has more to do with how the project owner acted throughout the campaign.
If the owner is fourth coming and says "Hay backers, I really appreciate your support, but we are so far off from getting funded. I'm going to go ahead and cancel. Do a little tweaking and re-launch in the future. I hope you will re-join the project" or if it's close and the owner fights to the end. I'm pretty cool with that.
If the owner just gives up in the middle, stops updating, and just lets the project die a slow painful death. Not cool
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: Shards Playing Cards by System 6 (KS)
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 01:40:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I think it has more to do with how the project owner acted throughout the campaign.
If the owner is fourth coming and says "Hay backers, I really appreciate your support, but we are so far off from getting funded. I'm going to go ahead and cancel. Do a little tweaking and re-launch in the future. I hope you will re-join the project" or if it's close and the owner fights to the end. I'm pretty cool with that.
If the owner just gives up in the middle, stops updating, and just lets the project die a slow painful death. Not cool

Valid point.  It's hard to be stoked about a project and motivated to promote it to your friends when the creator himself seems detached and disinterested - not so much by his actions as by his inactions.