You are Here:

Poll

How many uncut sheets of cards have you purchased?

None
9 (30%)
6 (20%)
2-3
2 (6.7%)
4-6
7 (23.3%)
7+
6 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Uncut Sheet Purchase?

Author (Read 1956 times)

Uncut Sheet Purchase?
« on: December 11, 2013, 12:03:36 PM »

Lukeout

• Forum Regular

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I'm curious how many folks here also buy uncut sheets of cards. As a creator, I'm trying to figure out if I should offer them, and honestly I'm just curious! (I don't own any, but I own a lot of gaming art).
"Design is nothing more or less than the ability to go from what exists to what is preferred."

Re: Uncut Sheet Purchase?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 12:11:11 PM »

Fanofyankees13

• "YEAH BITCH, MAGNETS!"
  • Discourse Lover
  • U W0T M8

• Facebook:
I have a ton of them. Probably close to 100. They're nice, but sadly, they just sit rolled up in tubes most of the time. I don't have the time or space to get them all framed and displayed as they deserve to be. They are a fairly niche item in the collecting world; most people would just prefer to own the deck. I'm sure if you offered the uncuts, they would move, but the demand for them probably wouldn't be anything to write home about.
“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 12:26:08 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I have 3 of them - MMD #1 #2 & #3

Personally, i feel uncut sheets ought to have something worth displaying more than just a deck of cards and/or repeated back designs.
I am looking at some other uncut sheets and basically those i would go for are if they are transformation decks, if every single card is a different customised design e.g. Ultimate deck or MMD comic decks (back design) or Gaff decks.

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 12:39:46 PM »

Paul.Middleton

• Discourse Veteran
  • Owner of JP Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
If you're going to collect and display uncuts - that's definite a nice theme and way to do it with the comic series.
~Paul Middleton,
JP Playing Cards
---------------------
FREE WORLDWIDE DELIVERY (UK over £30, EU over £70 and Rest Of World over £80)

www.jpplayingcards.co.uk

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 12:43:53 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
I wish I had more, but my budget is tight. So far, I only have the uncut sheet of my first deck.

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 12:53:52 PM »

atsquare

I own around 5 uncut sheets. I generally only buy uncut sheets if I absolutely love the deck.

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 01:50:18 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I've bought a select few, for a few decks that I really love. What I have found is that on custom decks, I really like both the fronts and the backs, so unless I want two sheets, two frames, and have double the wall space, It's difficult to decide which side to display. I do like the sheets that have one card showing the back witht he rest faces though. Given a choice, I usually display the backs and the artwork on the faces is never seen. I guess that I need the frames that have the item sandwiched between two panes of glass so that either side could be displayed.

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 02:44:58 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
They're nice, but sadly, they just sit rolled up in tubes most of the time

This is the main reason I haven't picked any up. I would like to have at least one to frame and display eventually. I just hate having things that are "Visual" not be seen. In other words, stored away.

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 03:04:15 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
I just bought my first (Red Artifice) but I'm not sure if I'll even display it.  The concept is cool, but the practicality leaves something to be desired.
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 03:09:52 PM »

chach

• Forum Regular
I'd have to really really like the deck in order to purchase an uncut.  I've pledged for one for the new UUSI deck, Pagan.  And when Clipped Wings hits, you're darn tootin right that I'll be in on one for that deck as well.  Wish I could find a sheet for the Curator deck, but may be settling on a print instead at some point in time.
-El Guapo

ISO - Vietnam vintage Bicycle Secret Weapon Aces of Spades deck.

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 04:38:01 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
They are a definite niche item. They sell very poorly compared to other collectible items and I probably will get very few of them made for my future decks. I personally have about 8 framed up, but not enough wall space for them all. It takes a special deck for me to get an uncut of it.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 05:33:49 PM »

Barry Hurton

• Forum Regular
For the right price, uncuts are lovely. When I purchase an uncut I'm thinking two things - is this worth the wall space and is it worth the time, energy and cost of getting it framed and hung. I'm working on an idea that would enable me to frame an uncut with a sealed version of the deck - imagine seeing a red artifice with a red artifice uncut framed and hanging on the wall? I personally own a RA Uncut and a Riderback uncut but when I make the plunge to go black club I think I will buy a Red Arcane uncut.

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 07:48:21 PM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
I wish I had more, but my budget is tight. So far, I only have the uncut sheet of my first deck.

This is probably the only Uncut I would like to have.  I feel like it could be framed and displayed as a piece of art.  I fear picking up any other uncuts would just be a slippery slope.  I can't even come close to displaying all my decks on the wall so uncuts would just remain "tubed" and dusty. 

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 10:45:30 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
They're nice, but sadly, they just sit rolled up in tubes most of the time.

I pretty much have the same sentiments as Fanofyankees13. I picked up the Master Collection off of Theory11 when they had that up in the summer for sale at a really good price. I gave two away as gifts and the other three just sit rolled up in tubes in my closet.

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 10:46:18 PM »

Utterfool

• Elite Member
  • " I have nothing to declare except my folly"

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• last.fm:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:
As someone who doesn't open every deck I own. Not to say I don't open decks, as an avid card player I open up a few a week, but now I am getting off topic. It is nice to be able to see and display the art from some of your more favorite decks w/o having to break the seal on the collectible item. That being said when I bought my first uncut sheet I went a little overboard and started buying every uncut sheet I could find. At the precipice of going bankrupt I realized my mistakes. I have neither the wall room of the interest to frame every uncut sheet I own. I weeded through the decks and took out the ones I definitely saw as art and that I would like to keep. My Uusi sheets, my COC Albino Dragon sheets, Federal 52,  and a few others (probably whittled it down to about 15). I am working on selling the rest. As Paul and others have said it is aniche market so they aren't going so fast. But at the right price people will buy them. And for the right deck I will too.

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 11:39:24 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I own a few uncuts, perhaps 6 or 7 - but never actually paid for any of them.  They were free gifts - in one case I had to pay for shipping, but that's it.  So I've "purchased" none!

Some people love the "limited, small quantity" aspect to collecting uncut sheets.  It's something that most people outside of this community never see - or for that matter, realizes it exists at all.  They're fantastic conversation starters when you have company come over.  But unless you are wealthy enough to have a LOT of wall space to fill, most people won't be able to display anything more than a small collection.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 11:40:17 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 01:01:06 PM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
This is totally a spur of the moment idea but have you ever been to a store that sells posters and they are all framed face to face, and you can slide them from side to side to look at? Well you could totally do that with uncuts no? I don't know if I did a very good job of explaining that for everyone else to understand. I've been studying for finals 24/7 and by brain is slowly turning to mush haha but I totally think this could work. One major problem with it though is that it would take up a ton of space. And also ruins the fact that you will not be hanging them up on a wall. But you will definitely be able to show more in a smaller volume of space.

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 01:30:48 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
2 cents to throw in (being someone who has been hesitant to purchase sheets):
This discussion has given me a, somewhat impractical but fun, idea.  The intention of displaying uncut sheets is for some "wow" factor, some inherent love for the cards that are on display, and some for the collector aspect.  What I would more likely pay for and hang on a wall would be a smaller version of an uncut sheet that displays all of the core cards, aces, jokers, and somehow also shows the backs of the card.  Also it would be cool to show off an unfolded tuck box.  Like I said, impractical from a production perspective, but that's something I feel would be more inclined to display and wouldn't take up quite as much space.
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 10:04:49 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
2 cents to throw in (being someone who has been hesitant to purchase sheets):
This discussion has given me a, somewhat impractical but fun, idea.  The intention of displaying uncut sheets is for some "wow" factor, some inherent love for the cards that are on display, and some for the collector aspect.  What I would more likely pay for and hang on a wall would be a smaller version of an uncut sheet that displays all of the core cards, aces, jokers, and somehow also shows the backs of the card.  Also it would be cool to show off an unfolded tuck box.  Like I said, impractical from a production perspective, but that's something I feel would be more inclined to display and wouldn't take up quite as much space.

You said it yourself - entirely impractical from a production perspective.  In most cases, the courts don't even appear in the same place on the sheet, so you couldn't cut out the courts and such.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2013, 10:17:31 PM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
I have 3 of them - MMD #1 #2 & #3

Personally, i feel uncut sheets ought to have something worth displaying more than just a deck of cards and/or repeated back designs.
I am looking at some other uncut sheets and basically those i would go for are if they are transformation decks, if every single card is a different customised design e.g. Ultimate deck or MMD comic decks (back design) or Gaff decks.

This is exactly how I see it.  I haven't bought any uncut sheets so far,  but I have had my eye on the Ultimate Deck uncut sheet for a while,  and maybe the Black Book of Cards uncut sheet becuase it would be cool to see all the adjectives on the cards in one sheet.