You are Here:
Medallions - Theory 11

Author (Read 7208 times)

Re: Medallions - Theory 11
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2013, 10:50:52 AM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Picked up 2 of each of the Black JAQK, Medallions, Red monarchs and grabbed 1 monarch giant box for kicks...Happy Black friday

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2013, 10:54:20 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Looks like the deck is online a little bit early, but no bulk discount yet: http://store.theory11.com/products/medallion-playing-cards

No pictures of the pips shown so I'm curious as to how they will look like since the deck is full custom.

The courts have new faces, but appear pretty close to the standard.  As you mentioned, no spot card images yet.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2013, 10:54:42 AM »

MyHeLL

• Newcomer
3 Medallions & 3 Black JAQK 

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2013, 01:03:20 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
Looks like the deck is online a little bit early, but no bulk discount yet: http://store.theory11.com/products/medallion-playing-cards

No pictures of the pips shown so I'm curious as to how they will look like since the deck is full custom.

The courts have new faces, but appear pretty close to the standard.  As you mentioned, no spot card images yet.

Just saw how rest of the deck looks like on Theory11 Expose. Standard pips, but custom back, tuckbox, jokers, Ace of Spaces and court cards. Not too bad. The tuckbox is suppose to be the same paper stock as they used the Red Monarchs so I'm looking forward to it as I haven't had a chance to see the Red Monarchs yet.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 02:21:15 PM by bhong »

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2013, 05:32:23 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
 I was super excited about the tuck case and thought it looked awesome, but was extremely disappointed with the the court cards. Any time companies just change the facial features and not the shape of the entire head the faces always look very out of place and almost misshapen. I was going to by a few of these but ended up spending my money on more Black Jaqk decks.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 05:32:58 PM by JacksonRobinson »
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2013, 09:27:10 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
I was super excited about the tuck case and thought it looked awesome, but was extremely disappointed with the the court cards. Any time companies just change the facial features and not the shape of the entire head the faces always look very out of place and almost misshapen. I was going to by a few of these but ended up spending my money on more Black Jaqk decks.

Hey Jackson

I had no idea you were a card collector too.

I was also taken back on the courts. I can't say disappointed, I sort of had a feeling about the deck while it was being teased. I think they tried showing some restraint with the courts. Maybe they were concerned with function. Normally that's a good thing. The back design and tuck box does not do anything for me that I was not already getting from Artisan. Branding is everything with me. I just don't get the "Medallion" name and concept. The decks are beautifully designed but it misses on being one of theory11s "classic" decks. It has more of a fashion feel to them, rather then a magician, mechanic or card player feel. It's too pretty for my taste.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 09:27:59 AM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2013, 09:38:15 AM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I'm totally a card collector. Although my taste doesn't really lie with any newer decks, I do like picking a few new ones up here and there.

The risk you run with just changing the courts slightly (like T11 did with the medallions) is people are so accustomed to the standard courts if you just change one thing about them and leave every thing else the same they look very off. A great example of this is take a picture of your own face then flip the picture horizontally, you will find you look very odd and almost mis-shapen. We are so used to the standard courts that when people just change the face they just look off. This is true with most decks that try to do the "custom face only" approach. Legends is another good example, or some of Madison's stuff. You can't change one piece of a composition that has burned its self into our brains for 100 years and not expect it to look off. It would be like taking times new roman and every time you print the letter a it displays as Arial.
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2013, 11:10:12 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm totally a card collector. Although my taste doesn't really lie with any newer decks, I do like picking a few new ones up here and there.

The risk you run with just changing the courts slightly (like T11 did with the medallions) is people are so accustomed to the standard courts if you just change one thing about them and leave every thing else the same they look very off. A great example of this is take a picture of your own face then flip the picture horizontally, you will find you look very odd and almost mis-shapen. We are so used to the standard courts that when people just change the face they just look off. This is true with most decks that try to do the "custom face only" approach. Legends is another good example, or some of Madison's stuff. You can't change one piece of a composition that has burned its self into our brains for 100 years and not expect it to look off. It would be like taking times new roman and every time you print the letter a it displays as Arial.

New Legends only have two custom courts, the KS and the QS.  I'm betting the King is Lawrence and the Queen is his wife/GF/SO.  MUCH nicer look to them.

It can be tricky as hell to get the proper proportions on court cards when trying to copy real faces, especially when factoring in that they're not real faces to start with and not wearing anything remotely resembling real clothing that we see people wear in public most of the time.  The scale issue becomes impossible.  The MOST gorgeous live-people-as-drawn-courts I've seen were the WhiteKnuckle decks - and that artist completely redrew every single court from scratch.  I believed he kept the conventional court image standards in terms of who's holding a sword or an axe, what cards are one-eyed, etc.

I did order two packs just to get a better look at them, but I'm inclined to think that this deck will be one of the less-loved of T11's collection.  They're on a solid trend of a certain style going all the way back to Rebels - elegant, stately, etc., but if seen all too often, boring as sand.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 11:11:49 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2013, 02:16:38 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
This is true with most decks that try to do the "custom face only" approach. Legends is another good example, or some of Madison's stuff. You can't change one piece of a composition that has burned its self into our brains for 100 years and not expect it to look off.

It think it worked well with Legends, Madison (Rounders/Dealers) and Split Spades. Sure, it took some getting used to but they look good. These court faces are disproportionate. Even worse, they are "inconsistently" disproportionate. Some face's are normal size and some are small size.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 02:17:54 PM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2013, 09:55:33 PM »

Phegget

This is true with most decks that try to do the "custom face only" approach. Legends is another good example, or some of Madison's stuff. You can't change one piece of a composition that has burned its self into our brains for 100 years and not expect it to look off.

It think it worked well with Legends, Madison (Rounders/Dealers) and Split Spades. Sure, it took some getting used to but they look good. These court faces are disproportionate. Even worse, they are "inconsistently" disproportionate. Some face's are normal size and some are small size.

The Madison courts are definitely one of the best 'custom-standard' courts out there. That's for damn sure.

I picked up 1 Medallion deck, mostly because of T11's gorgeous tucks as usual, especially with the new french 'luxe' paper texture like the Red Monarchs. For the people that dislike the courts on these; would you rather have had standard/recoloured courts? Give credit to T11 where credit is deserved. I think they are subtle and gorgeous. Definitely on the upward slope. Hopefully T11 will use these as a base and only improve with time.
uwotm8.

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2013, 10:24:17 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

The Madison courts are definitely one of the best 'custom-standard' courts out there. That's for damn sure.

I picked up 1 Medallion deck, mostly because of T11's gorgeous tucks as usual, especially with the new french 'luxe' paper texture like the Red Monarchs. For the people that dislike the courts on these; would you rather have had standard/recoloured courts? Give credit to T11 where credit is deserved. I think they are subtle and gorgeous. Definitely on the upward slope. Hopefully T11 will use these as a base and only improve with time.

I actually would have rather taken the standard courts. I would choose the monarchs over these any day of the week because the standard courts don't distract from the overall package that is the deck.

I give them credit for being the top dogs of create the most beautiful tucks out there hands down, but not for their courts. I know they are capable of so much more than that. I support subtle changes, but those subtle changes have to be composed with the whole and not fragmented as they are. Standard courts would have not handicapped the awesome tuck. I only give them a rough time as they are one of the people I look to for standards of quality.

Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2013, 11:01:13 PM »

Phegget

I give them credit for being the top dogs of create the most beautiful tucks out there hands down, but not for their courts. I know they are capable of so much more than that. I support subtle changes, but those subtle changes have to be composed with the whole and not fragmented as they are. Standard courts would have not handicapped the awesome tuck. I only give them a rough time as they are one of the people I look to for standards of quality.

Capability doesn't always equate to execution. Sure, there can be changes made that would be for the better. But when time, effort, and opportunity cost comes in to play, T11 may simply not feel the necessity of spending an exponential increase in time and effort to only marginally improve a deck. After all, they're in it for the business. Their time could instead be focused on other products/future releases that will generate greater profit for them in the long run.

A great example of this are Apple products. Apple is notorious for not implementing their whole array of innovations into a single product. They instead choose to implement their arsenal of futuristic technology in numerous iterations. Many people bash on them for not making the current generation of products the best it can be; but they don't understand that it has everything to do with opportunity cost and maintaining long term market power. T11 may have spent an extra 5-10hours of work to 'perfect' the court cards. However the final result may only trigger a slightly more positive response from the niche community such as us. Their sales may have increased by 1%, or 100%, the uncertainty is the beauty of the market mechanism. In this case, it's not because T11 didnt have the potential to do better, it's because they didnt feel the need to spend the extra time and effort to improve what is already very good (Come on guys, the deck as a whole is gorgeous!) to something marginally better.

I personally disagree with the preference of standard/recoloured courts. T11 has a whole array of such examples. They got bashed consistently because of this. Custom courts is one of the deciding factors in the war between T11 and Ellusionist (fuck HOPC/D$D). They decided to make a change that would potentially take away Ellusionist's edge in this category. Much improvement is needed in future releases to achieve the level of JAQK/Seasons courts, but i think T11 did a good job (and a correct move) in the whole. Us hippies/enthusiasts/perfectionists aside, just imagine all the shit T11 would get if they had released 'yet another gorgeous tuck box but crappy recoloured courts' deck.

T11 played their cards right.

/end rant.
uwotm8.

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2013, 04:06:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Capability doesn't always equate to execution. Sure, there can be changes made that would be for the better. But when time, effort, and opportunity cost comes in to play, T11 may simply not feel the necessity of spending an exponential increase in time and effort to only marginally improve a deck. After all, they're in it for the business. Their time could instead be focused on other products/future releases that will generate greater profit for them in the long run.

A great example of this are Apple products. Apple is notorious for not implementing their whole array of innovations into a single product. They instead choose to implement their arsenal of futuristic technology in numerous iterations. Many people bash on them for not making the current generation of products the best it can be; but they don't understand that it has everything to do with opportunity cost and maintaining long term market power. T11 may have spent an extra 5-10hours of work to 'perfect' the court cards. However the final result may only trigger a slightly more positive response from the niche community such as us. Their sales may have increased by 1%, or 100%, the uncertainty is the beauty of the market mechanism. In this case, it's not because T11 didnt have the potential to do better, it's because they didnt feel the need to spend the extra time and effort to improve what is already very good (Come on guys, the deck as a whole is gorgeous!) to something marginally better.

I personally disagree with the preference of standard/recoloured courts. T11 has a whole array of such examples. They got bashed consistently because of this. Custom courts is one of the deciding factors in the war between T11 and Ellusionist (fuck HOPC/D$D). They decided to make a change that would potentially take away Ellusionist's edge in this category. Much improvement is needed in future releases to achieve the level of JAQK/Seasons courts, but i think T11 did a good job (and a correct move) in the whole. Us hippies/enthusiasts/perfectionists aside, just imagine all the shit T11 would get if they had released 'yet another gorgeous tuck box but crappy recoloured courts' deck.

T11 played their cards right.

/end rant.

I disagree with a few statements in there.

Apple's success doesn't have to do with not implementing a wide array of innovations in a single product.  It has to do with simple, attractive design that's easy to use and highly reliable.  I often tell people that when I learned how to use Windows, I had to learn far more about the inner workings of the operating system than I really ever wanted to, whereas with Apple, I spend less time learning the operating system, more time simply using it - it's more intuitive and more reliable.  This is especially true for their consumer electronics.  Some people bemoan that Apple operates in a closed sandbox environment, but it also keeps their machines for the most part very stable.

I love a deck with custom courts as much as the next collector, but I also have an appreciation for a simple set of recolored standard courts.  I'd be more inclined to use almost any "standard face" custom T11 deck in a magic routine than any other - as well as at a friendly poker game, because my players tend to be fussy about what they play with and standard faces keep them happy.

Subtle changes don't really cost all that much less, other than a little more of the artist's time, and yes, people will notice when someone really did a full-on good job and when someone was paid to go only so far and no further when making a custom design.  Take their one true full-custom in-house design, the Sentinels, and compare them to this deck - you'll know immediately which deck went the whole nine years and which deck came closer to phoning it in.  JAQK decks are great, but they're simply modifications of an existing deck design, not wholly unique and made by them alone.

When I know a deck could have been truly great and it comes up short, I find it disappointing.  The Artifice Tundra deck is to me the prime example of phoning it in, and the D&D Bruce Lee deck is one of the laziest designs I've seen all year from a house that had a lot of lazy designs.  This deck, though it may have it's good qualities, does come up short in that it could have been so much more.  People remember great art and classic literature, while art made to meet a bottom line or books produced to a minimum literary standard tend more often than not to be forgotten.  We want great, we know T11 is capable of great, so what's the deal with thinking "good enough" is just as nice?

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2013, 07:09:56 PM »

Sharpie

T11 never disappoints… They offer the nicest lineup of playing cards available… What I like about T11 above all others is that their decks exude class and style… Monarchs, Artisans, Jaqks, Rebels, & now Medallions… Don't forget the Rarebits…  They established and set the bar with the Sentinels and Centurions… Even the Titanium editions of the Bee, Bicycle, & Tally Ho add sophistication to already familiar decks… As always, hats off to T11 for continuing to produce wonderful decks I feel add value to my playing card collection… Happy Thanksgiving everyone… -J.
What he said. -S

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2013, 10:38:09 PM »

vmagic

So apparently Theory11 has seriously dropped the ball! Everyone who ordered Overstuft have been getting their orders but without Overstuft and without any explanation as to why. Apparently they are backordered but Theory11 didn't bother to tell anyone nor say so on anyone's bill. Seriously f'ed up Theory11!

« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2014, 04:08:23 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Secret fifth release?

You've seen all four Black Friday releases by now. The year, however, is young!

// L

Hey Lyle.

What ever happened to this? Did product delays keep theory11 from making your predicted release deadline? From what I read, you were eluding that more was on the way before the end of the year.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 04:10:29 PM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2014, 05:19:40 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Secret fifth release?

You've seen all four Black Friday releases by now. The year, however, is young!

// L

Hey Lyle.

What ever happened to this? Did product delays keep theory11 from making your predicted release deadline? From what I read, you were eluding that more was on the way before the end of the year.

They might have gotten caught in the same mess everyone else did with UPS and FedEx...

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2014, 01:39:09 PM »

splice42

• True Member
It can be tricky as hell to get the proper proportions on court cards when trying to copy real faces

I really, really, REALLY dislike this new trend of modifying the court card faces. It just seems so indulgent. "Hey, buy my playing cards for your own personal use at home, I plastered my face all over the king of hearts, and some of my friends on the other court cards!" Well, that's nice. I want playing cards, though, not an ode from yourself to yourself about yourself.

The worst so far was Madison's latest decks, with his name twice on the tuckbox, his face on a court card, faces of friends on other court cards, his initial all over the back... why would I even want to buy this? I want to play cards, not kneel down at some guy's altar and proselytize him to everyone I play with (or perform for).

Sorry, rant mode off. Just a personal pet peeve and I had to vent.

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2014, 04:09:31 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It can be tricky as hell to get the proper proportions on court cards when trying to copy real faces

I really, really, REALLY dislike this new trend of modifying the court card faces. It just seems so indulgent. "Hey, buy my playing cards for your own personal use at home, I plastered my face all over the king of hearts, and some of my friends on the other court cards!" Well, that's nice. I want playing cards, though, not an ode from yourself to yourself about yourself.

The worst so far was Madison's latest decks, with his name twice on the tuckbox, his face on a court card, faces of friends on other court cards, his initial all over the back... why would I even want to buy this? I want to play cards, not kneel down at some guy's altar and proselytize him to everyone I play with (or perform for).

Sorry, rant mode off. Just a personal pet peeve and I had to vent.

You're preaching to the choir on that one.  Custom is one thing, personalized is another.  For a while I found it curious, but now I'm finding it tedious.