Decked Out: Fashion Playing Cards now live on Kickstarter

Author (Read 5291 times)

Re: Decked Out: Fashion Playing Cards now live on Kickstarter
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2013, 06:29:27 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I had a chat with Connie and sent her a link to these forums...She probably won't sign up but she has seen most of the comments. She admits that she did not know about this hobby of ours, but she appreciates all the comments good or constructive

I meant to refer her to me, as in "I'm a consultant for playing card designers..."
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2013, 06:32:03 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Hey Don...I got what you meant...I wrote this reply in response to the previous post but while I was typing you posted your message. 

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2013, 06:42:13 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hey Don...I got what you meant...I wrote this reply in response to the previous post but while I was typing you posted your message.

It's all good!  Forgive me, I've been awake for nearly 23 hours now.  Nasty case of insomnia.  My last sleep period was only five hours, to boot.

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2013, 06:51:52 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
No worries my friend...At least here your comments are not taken personal in a banning way hehehehe

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2013, 01:49:05 AM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
I really love the art on these. But oh dear, the price. I can't say I can fully understand the amount of effort that went into producing the art for each card, as I am not an artist myself, and I suppose the value is really objective, but it might benefit the creator if she lowered the prices. I'm sure a lot of people would love to own these, but the price may be too much for most.

I think you mean "subjective" rather than "objective" - meaning it's up to one's tastes and preferences as opposed to being something that can be measured and quantified by a standard of some kind.

Welcome to the boards, Sher!  You should head over to the "Introduce Yourself" board and create a new topic for yourself - let the gang get to know a little more about you.  We're a pretty friendly bunch and we don't (usually) bite...  :))

Oh yes, I meant "subjective." Haha. Thanks for the welcome, I'll post one shortly :)

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2013, 07:09:19 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
No worries my friend...At least here your comments are not taken personal in a banning way hehehehe

I'd like to think that my skin isn't Scott-toilet-paper thin...  You can almost read through that stuff!

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2013, 08:17:18 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
So Connie has made the following update and basically lowered the price of the deck by $20  meaning for $50 you now get the special box and the deck

I wanted to thank all my early backers and commenters for their support and insight. It's been a whirlwind start to the project, and I've learned a lot in these first days.

I've received a lot of comments on the price level for the deck, and I wanted to take a moment to explain my thinking behind it. I know a lot of you in the card collector community have balked at the original price level of $70 for the deck with metal case, and that's completely understandable coming from your world. In my world, it is not uncommon to have an art series collection sell at this price point, whether it be a run of prints or an art book, and often times they go for much higher. My original intention was to sell it as an art piece, and so I chose accordingly based on what I know of the art world's prices.

The fact is, I'm not a business woman. I don't know the first thing about studying market value and evaluating elastic demand (terms I'm pulling from your helpful comments!). When I did an initial run of 14 cards years ago as an utterly cliche starving art student, I sold a limited quantity at $60 a pack. That's why I thought the $70 price point was more than fair for the full deck -- it was a special Kickstarter deal. Illustration is all I do. This isn't something I can do in my spare time between jobs; it is my job. My art demands that I draw and draw and draw for hours a day, that I constantly hone and improve and re-examine my technique. This isn't supposed to be just another deck of playing cards. This is my art. It is, quite literally, my life's work. And my only hope is that it can move or inspire you in at least some small way, the way I was moved and inspired to begin in the first place.

With that said, the whole point of putting my art into card form was so that it would pull away from the habits of "high art," where work is only viewed from a distance, through a glass case hung on a wall. This was supposed to bring art back down to Earth, to be more accessible. Not low-brow, but intimate. This was meant to be something you can hold in your hand, to be as personal for those viewing it as it was for me to create it. And if the cost prices out people who would otherwise want to interact with the art, then it defeats the purpose of the project altogether.

That is why, after careful thought, consideration, negotiations with vendors, and a couple sleepless nights, I have decided to revise the reward levels. All my current backers who have contributed at the $50 level and above will automatically get the additional rewards at their respective price levels, plus as a special thank you for your early support -- for taking the leap with me -- I will also send you a new limited-edition signed print, exclusive to you early Kickstarter backers. It is a personal token of my gratitude, and no one else in the world will have it but you.

It has meant so much to me that all of you have joined me on this journey. I'm still figuring it out, and I'm realizing that outside of the four corners of these pages where I spill my ink and guts, I have much to learn. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or comments. Thank you for your guidance, your kindness, and your support.

Thank you.

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2013, 10:52:04 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
And a new back design

« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 10:58:47 PM by badpete69 »

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2013, 10:55:13 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Much, MUCH better back.

Although it's still a 1-way, it looks infinitely better than the previous back. The price drop is a plus too.
The only concern I would have would be the thin borders. They look fantastic on a screen, but the slightest printing deviation could end up ruining the back. A slight border increase could make sure that doesn't happen.

This is shaping up to be a very solid deck.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 10:56:30 PM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2013, 10:59:15 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Updated the pick to the 2 way design

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2013, 11:05:36 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Oh, sweet. All the better, then.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2013, 01:23:54 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
That's a vast improvement to say the least and redoing the pricing structure, as mentioned, is also a big plus. Most of all it great when designers are actually listening to what's being said about there projects.........unlike those who just put their heads down and bull forward oblivious to the chatter around them.

So kudos to Connie and I wish her luck!

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2013, 01:48:31 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
That's a vast improvement to say the least and redoing the pricing structure, as mentioned, is also a big plus. Most of all it great when designers are actually listening to what's being said about there projects.........unlike those who just put their heads down and bull forward oblivious to the chatter around them.

So kudos to Connie and I wish her luck!

All too many creators of projects are so narrowly focused on their "artistic vision" that they completely neglect the calls of their potential backers to make improvements.  In other words, they're much more of an artist than a businessperson.  A proper balance of two is needed for even the best artists to succeed commercially, at least during their own lifetime.

I do like the new back better.  It's got nothing to do with fashion, but it's elegant and sleek.

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2013, 11:05:41 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Update to tuck box was just posted

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2013, 11:17:13 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Very elegant, it works well with the card designs.

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2013, 05:48:51 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Pretty lively discussion in the Connie's Kickstarter comment section.  She is taking peoples advice and improving her cards.  Going with the USPCC, making a "2-way" back and such but I do have one fear.  My fear is she will just make her Kickstarter goal of $10,000 This is not enough for a 2,500 deck run. I noticed she is trying to please everyone and as a result her rewards look scattered and not complete.  New potential backers might frown on this.  People have expressed great interest in her cards and she can always come back fresh and complete.

I've read the comments above and this is art, but the cards need to be functional also. So since this is an art deck we are not going to have any big old fat ugly suits on the cards, instead we need to concentrate on the indexes to make them readable.  I actually think hers need to be slightly smaller with a different font and move them more into the corners. That would in turn give her more room for her art.  The indexes themselves need a small white boarder if it so happens to be inside her art.  In some of her cards, currenly the indexes are hard to read.   
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 05:49:41 AM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2013, 06:43:29 AM »

MagikFingerz

• Forum Regular
The borders on those backs doesn't look like they will be USPCC approved. Hopefully they'll stay as thin as possible.

I have a recurring nightmare where I'm opening a deck that's supposed to have thin borders, and when I take them out of the box they have the thickest borders ever! (it actually happened once, and I've been traumatized ever since)
- Tom

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2013, 08:10:33 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The borders on those backs doesn't look like they will be USPCC approved. Hopefully they'll stay as thin as possible.

I have a recurring nightmare where I'm opening a deck that's supposed to have thin borders, and when I take them out of the box they have the thickest borders ever! (it actually happened once, and I've been traumatized ever since)

Maybe I should bust out some old-school decks on you.  They don't have borders - they have white-wall tires!  HUGE!

I've already spotted two of the most minimal decks anywhere.  One was a European plastic deck with all-white backs.  The other was a Chinese-made deck that had a cardboard look to the faces and backs - all it had were indices, NOTHING else.  No back pattern, no pips, no court characters, not even a harlequin joker to be seen anywhere.

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2013, 11:01:01 PM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
Pretty lively discussion in the Connie's Kickstarter comment section.  She is taking peoples advice and improving her cards.  Going with the USPCC, making a "2-way" back and such but I do have one fear.  My fear is she will just make her Kickstarter goal of $10,000 This is not enough for a 2,500 deck run. I noticed she is trying to please everyone and as a result her rewards look scattered and not complete.  New potential backers might frown on this.  People have expressed great interest in her cards and she can always come back fresh and complete.

I've read the comments above and this is art, but the cards need to be functional also. So since this is an art deck we are not going to have any big old fat ugly suits on the cards, instead we need to concentrate on the indexes to make them readable.  I actually think hers need to be slightly smaller with a different font and move them more into the corners. That would in turn give her more room for her art.  The indexes themselves need a small white boarder if it so happens to be inside her art.  In some of her cards, currenly the indexes are hard to read.

I really hope she makes a good amount above her goal. She also has extras like bags and such that she will have to produce.  Maybe she has extra funds somewhere to help with these?

I asked her in the comment section specifically about the fonts of the indexes,  but I agree that it should be smaller. 

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2013, 11:13:01 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I hope Connie meets her goal and exceeds it and I also hope it all works out for the project. But more than anything I hope that IF Connie doesn't get funded this time around she doesn't abandon this deck. I think it's a great artistic deck and with some tweaking can be very successful.

Good Luck on the Home Stretch Connie!!