Black Artisan - second edition

Author (Read 1064 times)

Black Artisan - second edition
« on: October 18, 2013, 02:28:44 AM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
I don't know if there's a thread about this yet or not, but recently I picked up the Master Collection of uncut sheets from Theory11. When the sheets arrived, I noticed that the Black Artisan looked quite a bit different from the deck I have. The Ace of Spades has a different date on it (04-13) instead of (11-12), the back of the card has the same changes as the White Artisan and the big different, that grabbed my eye first, is that the metallic ink is silver instead of gold (see photos).

I emailed them about it and apparently when they were doing a second print run, they went ahead with adjusts to improve the design (less green looking and thinner borders).

Anyone actually have a deck of these yet? It's also suppose to have that newer date on the seal as well. Personally, I like the newer version of the Black Artisan, but if that's what they're shipping out when people order, I'd wish they'd put some kind of disclaimer on their site. It's noticeable different.

Re: Black Artisan - second edition
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 04:59:17 AM »

Ben Taylor

I got some black and whites in June, and they all have the (04-13) seal on them.

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 11:16:32 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
I got some black and whites in June, and they all have the (04-13) seal on them.

Sell Out of the black first edition while having both white and black editions printed. That must be a pain in the ars having to edit the seal and AOS everytime t11 wants to get the deck reprinted. The reprints were probably because of the debacle of the first tuck boxes. Now the white and black are of the same composition.

I'm just wondering, do the 2013 prints use double cellophane as the 2012 first black edition's did?

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 11:37:45 AM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector

Sell Out of the black first edition while having both white and black editions printed. That must be a pain in the ars having to edit the seal and AOS everytime t11 wants to get the deck reprinted. The reprints were probably because of the debacle of the first tuck boxes. Now the white and black are of the same composition.

I'm just wondering, do the 2013 prints use double cellophane as the 2012 first black edition's did?

Double cellophane? I don't remember that for the first black editions. I remember just single cellophane unless there's a different between the luxury edition?

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 01:16:16 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

Double cellophane? I don't remember that for the first black editions. I remember just single cellophane unless there's a different between the luxury edition?

Yes. Both the cards and the tuck box had cellophane. I believe it had something to do with the first black editions being printed and not having a box to fit USPCC's tuck machines. The crew at T11 hand assembled the tuck boxes. That many loose decks would have been all over the place while waiting for the tucks. I've seen double cellophane before on gilded edge decks.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 03:20:45 PM by Anonymous »

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 01:25:33 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Yes, this deck is unique in that each print run will have a new date on it, making them immediately distinguishable from each other.

It's not all that different from when they released the new print run of the original Monarchs with a thinner border on the back.  It's the same design with a simple tweak.  Another that comes to mind is the Sentinels - new print run, slight change to the box and improved finish/handling, but very little fanfare other than "they're back in stock."

I prefer that they're doing this than what they used to do.  They used to use the exact same cards with a new tuck box and call it a new VERSION.  Collectors started getting fed up with the hype.  They've done simple tweaks to a number of their decks now without making such a huge fuss about it.

Double cellophane isn't unheard of - I don't remember it on this deck, but I'm old and forget things.  I'll say that it's very common for gilded decks because of the paint on the edges of the cards in the box.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/