You are Here:
Ellusionist Ignite playing cards

Author (Read 11308 times)

Re: Ellusionist Heat playing cards
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2013, 12:45:09 PM »

BastianBJ

• Forum Regular

• Kickstarter:
The cards are going to be released this Wednesday (according to Ellusionists Facebook page)

Re: Ellusionist Heat playing cards
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2013, 03:32:31 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
The cards are going to be released this Wednesday (according to Ellusionists Facebook page)

Along with being referred to as the "Ignite Deck."

"The Ignite Deck. Coming Wednesday."
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 03:33:05 PM by Michael »
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

Re: Ellusionist Ignite playing cards
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2013, 08:00:21 PM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
That is an absolutely gorgeous back. The fans have so much flare! Im not sure if i can say the same about the jokers though.. They look extremely bland and underwhelmed compared to the back. I still love these though! Im a collector, so still not sure whether id rather these limited or not (it would most likely make sense to be unlimited since Fathom is.. So that they can eventually roll out all 4 elements and put together an overpriced set (the last element might be limited).

PS: Wednesday is 9/11.. The whole theme of te deck is fire/ignition based, even the name is suggestive. Is this a coicidence couped with bad planning, or a crazy marketing stunt? Surprised no one has picked this up yet.. Im from Australia so itll be released on the 12th for me. Im sure i represent a small minority though.

PPS: New pics via Ellusionist facebook
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 08:41:24 PM by Froggo »
Alex, stop fucking with my name you phegget. xx

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2013, 08:39:28 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
That is an absolutely gorgeous back. The fans have so much flare! Im not sure if i can say the same about the jokers though.. They look extremely bland and underwhelmed compared to the back.

I personally like the jokers! I will agree that they seem a little bland when compared to the back but I like the fact the face of the jokers (the bodies of the women) extend to the edge of the card. It would be hard to hide when mixed into the deck unless oriented correctly but I think it's fresh compared to all the jokers that are confined to the middle of the card face.

PS: Wednesday is 9/11.. The whole theme of te deck is fire/ignition based, even the name is suggestive. Is this a coicidence couped with bad planning, or a crazy marketing stunt? Surprised no one has picked this up yet.. Im from Australia so itll be released on the 12th for me. Im sure i represent a small minority though.

I can't say for anyone else but I'm rarely conscious of the date when the release date is within the current week. :-[ But that definitely is a very interesting coincidence or marketing scheme. I don't want to make a big deal out of it because I don't really think it is but it is curious.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2013, 08:45:03 PM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
That is an absolutely gorgeous back. The fans have so much flare! Im not sure if i can say the same about the jokers though.. They look extremely bland and underwhelmed compared to the back.

I personally like the jokers! I will agree that they seem a little bland when compared to the back but I like the fact the face of the jokers (the bodies of the women) extend to the edge of the card. It would be hard to hide when mixed into the deck unless oriented correctly but I think it's fresh compared to all the jokers that are confined to the middle of the card face.

I can't say for anyone else but I'm rarely conscious of the date when the release date is within the current week. :-[ But that definitely is a very interesting coincidence or marketing scheme. I don't want to make a big deal out of it because I don't really think it is but it is curious.

Personally i am also rarely concious. As an Australian we have less of a personal connection. However i know how much some people care about this kind of stuff and thus it may seem incredibly insensitive on E's part for such a stunt, coincidence or not.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 08:46:53 PM by Froggo »

« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2013, 08:58:19 PM »

Ben Taylor

Ellusionist is based here in California, and there are fires all over the state right now. I'm wondering if they did their ad for this deck in Yosemite.

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2013, 09:10:00 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty

Personally i am also rarely concious. As an Australian we have less of a personal connection. However i know how much some people care about this kind of stuff and thus it may seem incredibly insensitive on E's part for such a stunt, coincidence or not.

I would agree with you that it is insensitive if E didn't realize it whatsoever. I was trying to play devil's advocate by writing a response that included giving them the benefit of the doubt and how they probably know it'll be 9/11 and blah blah blah but I just couldn't think of a good marketing reason. The only thing I could come up with is the incident occurred 12 years ago and so maybe they think it's not necessarily sensitive but in "honor" of? Either way, it's all speculation unless someone from their design team confirms one way or another.

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2013, 11:54:36 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Even for people like me, who had to live through September 11, 2001 in one of the directly-affected cities, enough time has passed at this point.  While most of us will never forget the events of that day, no matter how much we may or may not want to, the name of this deck is at best distantly connected to those events and shouldn't be any cause for concern.  It's like saying a Hawaiian shirt with a firecracker motif would be an insensitive thing to release on December 7, 1953 - the twelfth anniversary of the bombing of Pearl Harbor.  Even the most-directly affected survivors, those who lost someone close to them in the attack, have for the most part moved on with their lives, as their lost loved ones would have wanted them to.  Grief is meant as a transitional state, not a permanent way of life.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2013, 01:02:25 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
Even for people like me, who had to live through September 11, 2001 in one of the directly-affected cities, enough time has passed at this point.  While most of us will never forget the events of that day, no matter how much we may or may not want to, the name of this deck is at best distantly connected to those events and shouldn't be any cause for concern.  It's like saying a Hawaiian shirt with a firecracker motif would be an insensitive thing to release on December 7, 1953 - the twelfth anniversary of the bombing of Pearl Harbor.  Even the most-directly affected survivors, those who lost someone close to them in the attack, have for the most part moved on with their lives, as their lost loved ones would have wanted them to.  Grief is meant as a transitional state, not a permanent way of life.

Although I wholeheartedly agree with this and attribute why I think it shouldn't be a big deal to this, I still think it is interesting to name a deck Ignite and release it on 9/11. Possibly coincidence and more probably not done with any harm. Just seems too coincidental.

Regardless of what the deck is named, I think it is looking like a great deck to continue the Elemental Series (what I'm calling it in my head). The LePaul spread in the most recent pictures Froggo put up look amazing with the bold coloring of the backs.

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2013, 01:24:12 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Although I wholeheartedly agree with this and attribute why I think it shouldn't be a big deal to this, I still think it is interesting to name a deck Ignite and release it on 9/11. Possibly coincidence and more probably not done with any harm. Just seems too coincidental.

Regardless of what the deck is named, I think it is looking like a great deck to continue the Elemental Series (what I'm calling it in my head). The LePaul spread in the most recent pictures Froggo put up look amazing with the bold coloring of the backs.

Even Freud said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar..."

I think that Ellusionist themselves are calling these decks the "Elemental" series or something similar.

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2013, 04:43:05 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty

Even Freud said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar..."

I think that Ellusionist themselves are calling these decks the "Elemental" series or something similar.

And hey, I'd be happy regardless of if this turned out to be a cigar or an unsmokable ten foot pole. The deck should be bought and judged on its own merit.

And I wasn't sure what they were calling it so just so I don't get accused of making up names for a deck series I have to make it clear it's an opinion. I mean it makes scene to be an "Elemental series" but hey, who knows what E has up their sleeves. They could call the series whatever they want right? For all we know this is deck two of the "Nature series" or "Phenomena decks."

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2013, 05:44:45 AM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis

And I wasn't sure what they were calling it so just so I don't get accused of making up names for a deck series I have to make it clear it's an opinion. I mean it makes scene to be an "Elemental series" but hey, who knows what E has up their sleeves. They could call the series whatever they want right? For all we know this is deck two of the "Nature series" or "Phenomena decks."

How about the "Conspiracy series"? Fun fact: The Fathom deck was officially released on the 23th of November. The same day MS Explorer, a cruise liner carrying 154 people, sank in the Antarctic Ocean south of Argentina after hitting an iceberg near the South Shetland Islands in 2007.

OoooooOOoooooo love me some conspiracy! :p

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2013, 06:19:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

How about the "Conspiracy series"? Fun fact: The Fathom deck was officially released on the 23th of November. The same day MS Explorer, a cruise liner carrying 154 people, sank in the Antarctic Ocean south of Argentina after hitting an iceberg near the South Shetland Islands in 2007.

So, the earthquake deck will come out on the anniversary of the Great Earthquake of San Francisco and the air deck will come out on the anniversary of the crash of the Hindenburg...  Or wait - that could be the fire deck as well...  But if they used the earthquake and tsunami in Japan, that could be water and earth, and maybe even fire thrown in for good measure...  And what about the day I tripped on the sidewalk, grabbed my shin and went "Oooooh - (intake of air) - aaahhh" like Peter Griffin...?  Or the crash of the Peter-Copter?  Or the attack on Hoth!?!

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2013, 06:38:33 AM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis

So, the earthquake deck will come out on the anniversary of the Great Earthquake of San Francisco and the air deck will come out on the anniversary of the crash of the Hindenburg...  Or wait - that could be the fire deck as well...  But if they used the earthquake and tsunami in Japan, that could be water and earth, and maybe even fire thrown in for good measure...  And what about the day I tripped on the sidewalk, grabbed my shin and went "Oooooh - (intake of air) - aaahhh" like Peter Griffin...?  Or the crash of the Peter-Copter?  Or the attack on Hoth!?!

You're a special one Don (:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 06:39:30 AM by Froggo »

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2013, 07:27:10 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
It's coincidence and that's all. Don't forget, the Wednesday release is just for BC members, it's official worldwide release is Thursday.
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2013, 01:10:16 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
It's coincidence and that's all. Don't forget, the Wednesday release is just for BC members, it's official worldwide release is Thursday.

And with that in mind, I think that's the end of the conspiracy discussions. :))

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2013, 03:31:49 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

Rumor has it if you collect all 4 elements you'll be able to make a super morphing playing card ninja robot. Lol -3 -4 -5 -6...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 03:35:20 PM by Anonymous »

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2013, 07:54:09 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

And with that in mind, I think that's the end of the conspiracy discussions. :))

Actually, it's on sale NOW to Black Club members.  Tomorrow is the general release.

It comes out timed with the release of two Justin Miller effects.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 07:55:30 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2013, 08:20:19 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

Actually, it's on sale NOW to Black Club members.  Tomorrow is the general release.

It comes out timed with the release of two Justin Miller effects.

BC member must have 48hrs on this then because, according to their FB page, it's Thursday for general release
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2013, 08:40:12 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos

BC member must have 48hrs on this then because, according to their FB page, it's Thursday for general release

I wounder what possibly made them change the release date...
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2013, 08:56:28 PM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
Direct from Ellusionist's facebook:

Out of respect for the date on Wednesday, we have decided to keep it release-free. This week's goodness will be out on Thursday to everyone - and is already out to Black Club Members.
-Jake

« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2013, 10:16:20 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Direct from Ellusionist's facebook:

Out of respect for the date on Wednesday, we have decided to keep it release-free. This week's goodness will be out on Thursday to everyone - and is already out to Black Club Members.
-Jake
Haha! Guess it was just coincidence after all. :P
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2013, 04:47:47 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
Almost hard to believe no one on their marketing team didn't notice that. But like I already said, I didn't even think of it cause it was 12 years ago.

« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2013, 07:23:12 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Asked this question yesterday to clear up the controversy. Didn't receive a response until this morning:

We were completely unaware of any controversy. There's no connection between those events and our cards. This series is based on the elements.

Here the ad copy from Fathom:
The voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes. When we took our world apart and examined its make up, we were left with four simple elements. Earth. Air. Fireā€¦ and Water.

This is the first of those discoveries, born from the graceful flow of water.

This is from the Ignite page:
The second release in the Origin Series, Ignite Playing Cards captures golden flames, glowing embers and the smoldering black char of a scorching inferno.

From the blazing ace of spades on the front of the box, to the world of flames on the back, there is no mistaking the theme of this deck.

Featuring line-art embellished pips, court cards colored in the orange glow of a dying hearth, and polarized jokers, reds and blacks in contrast, for a color-change illustrating the very name of the deck; Ignite.

Conjure the spirit of fire and set your performances alight.

As you can see, we're working off the theme of the four elements from ancient thought. As far as I know, there is also an air and earth deck planned though they haven't been designed yet. We are a magic company, we're not looking to make political statements.

I will also add that we have delayed the release of the deck in respect to the date. The public release will be tomorrow.

Have a great day!

Also explains how they're calling this series the "Origin Series". Seems fitting.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2013, 07:40:43 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Can I get a tl;dr on the controversy?
Forum Founder.