Re: Kings Wild - Signature Series
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2013, 10:06:00 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
You've got some great ideas kickin' around there Jackson, can't wait to see what comes to fruition.  8)

« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2013, 10:51:39 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
That is the most America thing I've ever seen. I know that that would be a HUGE seller. It would appeal to tons of people that wouldn't normally collect cards or back a Kickstarter project. I think it'd be much more successful than the other back designs you posted.
You could have one of the red back designs be your "signature series" deck and this be something completely different. Like The Freedom Deck, The Liberty Deck, etc.

Activate Patriotic Deck!!! The colors aren't there yet but it's on white...

Can I buy a brick of these, like now?  PLEASE. Unreal.
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2013, 10:52:50 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
My hope is to come out with the Kings Wild Signature series decks every year around my birthday. (Fed 23)
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2013, 12:07:07 PM »

Mydnyghte

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
My damn, your idea of a "rough concept" is enough for me to lick the screen. In the classy, admirable way, not the weird way.

Every one of your designs in this thread makes me nervous, as I just pledged the heck out of your Sherlock campaign, and my disposable income is, well, disposed. Well done sir.

Re: Kings Wild Development Thread
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2013, 09:03:20 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
This was a Federal 52 version of the Rider back I developed to pitch to USPC corporate. USPC loved it but Jarden legal shot it down.

Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2013, 09:15:33 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
That's too bad Jackson, that's probably the best green back version of the riders I've seen.
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2013, 10:15:20 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Wow Jackson!  Your designs surprise me every time.  Makes me want to say what the hell are you doing here.  I can see why the USPCC is interested. There is so much low hanging fruit at the USPCC; Just pick it. In the future, you could single handedly change the way we play cards.  Can't wait to say, "Yea I saw that guy when he first came on the UC. He made a money card design with a "1-way" back" 

« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2013, 11:58:46 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
This was a Federal 52 version of the Rider back I developed to pitch to USPC corporate. USPC loved it but Jarden legal shot it down.

Of course THEY would...  They're the company's biggest party poopers.

Why didn't you consider something like the Bicycle Mandolin Back or (my preference) the Maiden Back?  Both were specifically created and approved by USPC to look close enough to the Rider Back that the typical spectator wouldn't notice the difference, but different enough to allow for alterations without treading on the "trademark" Rider Back design.  I have some marked decks in those patterns - a Mandolin Back "GT Speedreader" and a Maiden Back "Gambler's Deck" (stripped, marked, stacked all in one).  You could have altered one of those to look very similar - the Maiden Back would be well suited for it.

Attached below is a sample of each deck back, with the Mandolin Back on top.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2013, 07:58:56 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

Of course THEY would...  They're the company's biggest party poopers.

Why didn't you consider something like the Bicycle Mandolin Back or (my preference) the Maiden Back?  Both were specifically created and approved by USPC to look close enough to the Rider Back that the typical spectator wouldn't notice the difference, but different enough to allow for alterations without treading on the "trademark" Rider Back design.  I have some marked decks in those patterns - a Mandolin Back "GT Speedreader" and a Maiden Back "Gambler's Deck" (stripped, marked, stacked all in one).  You could have altered one of those to look very similar - the Maiden Back would be well suited for it.

Attached below is a sample of each deck back, with the Mandolin Back on top.

Great idea! If I remember correctly, that's what Burton Snowboards did when they couldn't use the riderback design.

You could also try designing custom figures for the center crests and corner characters. I think if you replaced that maidens in the maiden back with Lady Liberty, it would look amazing.

I can't believe those numbnuts at legal shot you down, Jackson. Even someone with a blindfold could see that your designs are phenomenal.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 08:02:35 PM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2013, 12:50:05 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I can't believe those numbnuts at legal shot you down, Jackson. Even someone with a blindfold could see that your designs are phenomenal.

Sure, they're phenomenal, but unfortunately they actually have a legitimate reason for prohibiting alterations of the Rider Back.  As a 120-year-old back design (first printing was 1893), any protection it may have had from copyright law went out the window a long time ago.  This leaves USPC to prevent people from duplicating their work by defending it under trademark law, as it is one of their more ubiquitous deck backs.

For such a defense to hold water, however, they can't allow the trademark to become "diluted" by permitting alterations to it.  USPC Legal came down with this decree over two years ago - no alterations to the assorted trademarks of the company, including the Rider Back.

Also forbidden are any of their "standard" backs such as the Bee Diamond Back, etc., and any of their unique jokers or Aces of Spades.  Even the Mandolin Backs and Maiden Backs can't use an altered version of their jokers and Aces of Spades, though you can replace them entirely with different designs.

I have several Ellusionist gaff cards for decks like the Bicycle red/blue, Ghost, etc. that will no longer be reprinted as a result of that ruling, and it was among the many reasons that Ellusionist drifted away from Bicycle-branded products and created more of their own designs.  Those decks were meant to share nearly the same gaffs with the Black Tigers - the video "Army of 52" covers using the gaffs in all of those decks because most are shared throughout the gaffs for them - but my new Black Tigers gaffs are either missing some of the old cards or have redesigned newer versions of them that don't infringe on the trademark.

« Reply #85 on: December 25, 2013, 04:54:45 AM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I thought I was strong enough to NOT work for just one day, but then I picked up my pencil and started sketching while sitting with family watching the Christmas Story Marathon.

Heres what came out, I really like it. Possible Tuck Case design for the Kings Wild Signature Series.

Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #86 on: December 25, 2013, 06:44:34 AM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
more back concepts

Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #87 on: December 25, 2013, 11:23:33 AM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
I love both that and the eagles/rifles back design for the signature series.  Still thinking February launch?  KS?

« Reply #88 on: December 25, 2013, 11:31:14 AM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I love both that and the eagles/rifles back design for the signature series.  Still thinking February launch?  KS?

Yes, my hope is to release a Kings Wild Signature Series deck every year on my birthday Fed, 23. Unfortunately I don't have enough time to design and produce a deck before that date so this first year I will open up pre order sales on my birthday to at least start the tradition "kind of". From then on out I will have the decks produced and ready to ship by Feb 23. Once I finish up the Sherlock art January will be focused on designing the final KW Signature Series to get ready for the Feb release.
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #89 on: December 26, 2013, 04:55:36 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Doing some more sketching...

Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #90 on: December 26, 2013, 05:14:59 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Nice king.  Mongol, right?  Planning different "suit factions"?  :))

« Reply #91 on: December 26, 2013, 06:12:05 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

I guess the weird mustache makes him look Mongolian. It is actually Henry VIII garb

Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #92 on: December 26, 2013, 07:48:37 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I guess the weird mustache makes him look Mongolian. It is actually Henry VIII garb

I got news for you - my next guess was going to be Manchurian.   :))

« Reply #93 on: December 29, 2013, 06:56:23 PM »

Mada257

Mercy me oh my... Being new here I got the privilege to read this whole thread through at once. My goodness, you've got some insane talent. I loved every single concept and would back/purchase any one of them. I discovered the whole kickstarter thing about two days after your second Fed 52 project I believe. It's been bugging me ever since. I guess I'll just have to spend all the money I would've put towards those on future releases.

I would say keep up the good work, but I have no doubt you already have. Looking forward to seeing what blows my mind next!

« Reply #94 on: December 30, 2013, 02:47:09 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Mercy me oh my... Being new here I got the privilege to read this whole thread through at once. My goodness, you've got some insane talent. I loved every single concept and would back/purchase any one of them. I discovered the whole kickstarter thing about two days after your second Fed 52 project I believe. It's been bugging me ever since. I guess I'll just have to spend all the money I would've put towards those on future releases.

I would say keep up the good work, but I have no doubt you already have. Looking forward to seeing what blows my mind next!

Most of those Federal 52 decks are for sale on his website - though they aren't cheap.
http://kings-wild-project.myshopify.com/collections/cards

« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2014, 12:44:36 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Another scrapped Kings Wild Signature Series concept. The design is getting closer but not 100% there just yet.

Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2014, 12:47:59 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2014, 08:59:08 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
These look good.  Some will draw comparisons to both your F52 decks and the Aristocrat Banknote reprints.

« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2014, 09:36:01 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
These look good.  Some will draw comparisons to both your F52 decks and the Aristocrat Banknote reprints.

Great! that is exactly what I was going for, as the American Bank Note decks are my biggest inspiration.
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2014, 11:06:03 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
VERY cool design! This is the kind of deck that Aristocrat stock is made for! The leaves fill the center space in much better than the crest, too.

Although, I loved the concept for the box you sketched out.

Are you making this a one deck project, or will there be an alternate color?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)