Republic No. 02 from Ellusionist

Author (Read 11055 times)

Re: Republic No. 02 from Ellusionist
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2013, 12:19:59 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos
"Hey guys, Mike from Ellusionist here. I'm glad to see a lot of you guys are enjoying the deck thus far. More teaser images will be posted, make sure to follow our instagram page for all the new photos.

Maybe I can clear up some of the confusion regarding this deck. Don't confuse this deck with the Sultan Republic or Treasury decks. Both of which are much different. Republic is the brand. Within that brand we had the Sultan decks. This isn't meant to be a "Sultan Republic" makeover. However, you will recognize a few details from the previous versions in here.

Republic 2.0 is simply #2 in the Republic series. Because Treasury was an exact replica (although it was beaten up) of the Sultan Republic deck, we didn't consider it to be a second version.

Look at this deck with an open mind, don't think of it as we we're trying to redo the Sultan deck and completely went off course.

-Mike"

From Mike, the designer of the deck. Posted over at UC

tl;dr Republic is a Brand, Sultan is the first deck in a brand, its number 2 because Sultan's Republic: Treasury Edition is simply a "beat up" version of Sultan Republic.

Is everyone happy yet?
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2013, 07:13:31 PM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
Ellusionist also has just confirmed via a comment on Facebook that these will be unlimited.

Edit: Final teaser has just been uploaded http://www.ellusionist.com/republic-02-playing-cards.html?utm_content=awesm-publisher&utm_medium=elusn.st-facebook-post&utm_campaign=republic2&utm_source=m.facebook.com

« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 09:41:41 PM by Froggo »
Alex, stop fucking with my name you phegget. xx

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2013, 12:06:20 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Gotta love that joker reveal!  It's so subtle, but it'll hit a spectator in the face when you use it.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2013, 05:37:02 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Gotta love that joker reveal!  It's so subtle, but it'll hit a spectator in the face when you use it.

This deck design stands on its own. I understand the whole sultan, not sultan aspect of the brand but why would they want to tie it in with the republic? That mountain/spear design was the whole premise behind the sultan republic and sultan treasury decks. The joker to me is sultan. They could have gone an entirely different branding direction with such an attractive back design.

Still waiting for the courts cards... from what I can see, the courts look like standard recoloring.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 05:40:01 PM by Legacy »

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2013, 06:30:59 PM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
Slightly disappointed with the court cards. Was hoping for simplified version like the original smoke and mirrors. But hey at least these are somewhat custom and by no stetch ugly.

Official release tomorrow. Black club members have access to the full commercial and the ability to order right now.
Alex, stop fucking with my name you phegget. xx

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2013, 09:27:23 PM »

mirciusx

• Elite Member
  • love, peace, cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Buy 12 and you'll get for free a Treasury deck. "Until Midnight on Saturday, get a FREE Limited Edition Treasury Deck with every 12 Republic #2 Decks Purchased"

I've got two Mechanic and two signed decks (also, two unsigned...one package just arrived yesterday and it was 48$ shipping only), so I'll pass this opportunity...shipping is too huge for Europe :(

I think the release of Mechanic (1 July) it's too close for Republic. After 6 weeks another release from E, it's to hard for some of us to recover.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 09:33:49 PM by mirciusx »
"Art is never finished, only abandoned" – Leonardo daVinci

"Measure twice, cut once." - Don Boyer

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2013, 10:55:01 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Slightly disappointed with the court cards. Was hoping for simplified version like the original smoke and mirrors. But hey at least these are somewhat custom and by no stetch ugly.

Official release tomorrow. Black club members have access to the full commercial and the ability to order right now.

I'm a bit disappointed, too.  Standard, fine, but why not as simplified as the rest of the deck?  All that empty space...the pips look lost!

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2013, 11:10:40 PM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran

Except now you can't use the jokers as duplicates or for sandwich routines. Which is more valuable than a silly little, "now your card is on this card" reveal. At least to me it is.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 11:11:03 PM by 10ofclubs »

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2013, 11:18:30 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Except now you can't use the jokers as duplicates or for sandwich routines. Which is more valuable than a silly little, "now your card is on this card" reveal. At least to me it is.

There's no reason you couldn't.  Most spectators simply don't look that closely.  Even if they do spot it, crack a joke about that one having a personality complex...  :))

I do a routine that has me surreptitiously swapping one joker for anther in a pack of Streamlines.  They're mostly identical, but one of the jokers has a star-in-circle above the index, the other doesn't.  I have done that trick literally hundreds of times and never once got caught.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 11:19:07 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2013, 11:13:02 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

That's interesting. I always wanted to know what magicians found more value in? A reveal joker or 2 identical jokers? So many companies have used joker reveals on their decks, and yet I know some love 2 identical jokers instead of the guarantee joker. What do most magicians prefer?

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2013, 11:54:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

That's interesting. I always wanted to know what magicians found more value in? A reveal joker or 2 identical jokers? So many companies have used joker reveals on their decks, and yet I know some love 2 identical jokers instead of the guarantee joker. What do most magicians prefer?

As long as the jokers are close enough, they don't need to be identical.  For example, the Arcane joker's reveal is so subtle, practically no one will spot it, especially if they're not familiar with joker reveals.  Like I said, I swap jokers with the same art but different indices, never got caught once in well over a hundred repetitions.  They're far less identical looking than the Republic No. 02 deck - there's no reason why this pair of jokers wouldn't be just fine in such routines.

Actually, while I've never been caught with nonidentical jokers, I have been "caught" in that I'm using jokers at all - everyone expects a deck to have two jokers these days, at least in the US, since it's the standard here.  My ideal would be to use two identical cards - any random card from the deck works fine.

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2013, 04:32:15 PM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
It's pretty similar with the 3spades reveal on some of the bicycle gaff decks. People don't spot it unless they stare at box and inspect it, but if you pull out the box like any other, they don't catch it.
If I were an eskimo, I would build my igloo next to a supermarket.

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2013, 08:18:37 PM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
I am almost positive that the people that I perform for would notice it. Don, I'm not sure if you are a professional or not, but I'm a hobbyist. I perform for friends at school and my family for the most part. They are use to seeing different style decks and are more familiar with custom decks than just anyone off the street because of that.
And most sandwich routines are structured in a way that the jokers are side by side at one point, making it basically OBVIOUS that the index is different. You don't even have to look for it, your brain just picks up on the fact that the two aren't the same.
Now, to be clear, joker reveals can be fine. I think they can be fun, creative and for the right audience (and when performed correctly) magical. But there is absolutely no way that a revelation printed on a card is in any way more useful than having a duplicate. I wouldn't even keep that card in the deck when performing other tricks. Don, what if I did a riffle peek and it stopped on that card? That wouldn't make any sense and some spectators may actually think their card is the two of hearts! And your explanation for why that card has another card's name on it (although clever) will just slow down the show and perhaps even confuse the spectators.
And the payoff for having it is what exactly? One trick? One pretty weak trick if you ask me. It's one reveal. There's hundreds of others out there. And you sacrifice dozens of other tricks by having the reveal and not having identical jokers.

Things change when the joker is particularly busy and/or the reveal is more subtle, but 1) that's not the case here because this one is blatant and 2) a reveal so tiny that it's not noticeable is weaker than a larger one.

I hope I have stated my opinions clearly.

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2013, 08:29:09 PM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
  • "Simul iustus et peccator"
From Ellusionist

Republic #2 is the second release in the Republic brand, following the original 'Sultan' Republic and it's special edition, the Sultan Republic: Treasury.

D'oh didn't see this whole second page of discussion. I like it, but since it's unlimited I can wait
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 08:31:21 PM by Magic_Orthodoxy »
More Magic and Deck Reviews https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2013, 09:26:23 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I am almost positive that the people that I perform for would notice it. Don, I'm not sure if you are a professional or not, but I'm a hobbyist. I perform for friends at school and my family for the most part. They are use to seeing different style decks and are more familiar with custom decks than just anyone off the street because of that.
And most sandwich routines are structured in a way that the jokers are side by side at one point, making it basically OBVIOUS that the index is different. You don't even have to look for it, your brain just picks up on the fact that the two aren't the same.
Now, to be clear, joker reveals can be fine. I think they can be fun, creative and for the right audience (and when performed correctly) magical. But there is absolutely no way that a revelation printed on a card is in any way more useful than having a duplicate. I wouldn't even keep that card in the deck when performing other tricks. Don, what if I did a riffle peek and it stopped on that card? That wouldn't make any sense and some spectators may actually think their card is the two of hearts! And your explanation for why that card has another card's name on it (although clever) will just slow down the show and perhaps even confuse the spectators.
And the payoff for having it is what exactly? One trick? One pretty weak trick if you ask me. It's one reveal. There's hundreds of others out there. And you sacrifice dozens of other tricks by having the reveal and not having identical jokers.

Things change when the joker is particularly busy and/or the reveal is more subtle, but 1) that's not the case here because this one is blatant and 2) a reveal so tiny that it's not noticeable is weaker than a larger one.

I always use custom decks for my friends. They would assume its a joker and not pay attention. The mind observes everything but blocks what it does not deem important. If your like hey look at this new deck they might notice it. If your like hey let me show you a trick, I doubt they would
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2013, 11:08:11 PM »

Patrick Varnavas

Adding the borderless feel to the Republics just feels like something Daniel Madison would do, I want to see something different. Honestly, the deck doesn't look too bad. But that trailer is probably the most ridiculously dramatic playing card trailer I've ever seen.

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2013, 02:03:28 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I fell mixed about this deck.

I have mostly stopped buying new decks just because I have finally realized it is alot more beneficial to put money into my show than countless decks.

But I really like the back design on these,The deck reminds me of the dealers almost too much, even the box is pretty similar.

Personally I like to have 2 identical jokers for transpositions and sandwich effects, and I agree with 10ofclubs that having the reveal can make it harder to perform other better effects.

They are nice cards, but I can do without them.

Also does anyone know if the girl in the video comes with the cards or is that just promo stuff?
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2013, 04:03:27 AM »

therealmackay

• True Member
I really like this deck, fab boarderless design - are we starting to see a shift towards boarderless deck design??

Looking at the face of the cards is anyone else getting the MISC Goods' esque vibe??

Really a great, clean deck and i will certainly look to buy a few of these bad boys and even make a staple performing deck.

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2013, 07:15:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Different strokes.  I'd guess that only one index has the reveal, though, making it easier to use the card as a plain joker.

I fell mixed about this deck.

I have mostly stopped buying new decks just because I have finally realized it is alot more beneficial to put money into my show than countless decks.

But I really like the back design on these,The deck reminds me of the dealers almost too much, even the box is pretty similar.

Personally I like to have 2 identical jokers for transpositions and sandwich effects, and I agree with 10ofclubs that having the reveal can make it harder to perform other better effects.

They are nice cards, but I can do without them.

Also does anyone know if the girl in the video comes with the cards or is that just promo stuff?

Well, when you fell, I hope you didn't break anything.  It was a mixed felling, after all...  :))

Yes, the revelation about decks is a shocker to magician collectors.  Especially when many of us get so delicate about our rare decks we never want to take them out.  I've ruined more decks performing at bars than I care to count...  Better to spend on the magic - but even there it's possible to get out of hand if you aren't careful - I have a career's worth of magic that I'm still working my way through after all the spending I did for holiday season 2011!  I've totally stopped buying new decks, personally.

The girl in the video was only included is a special gift set given out to prominent message board administrators.  Mine's in the mail, should arrive tomorrow.  I hope it fits - it's a big PO Box, but it's still a PO Box...  :))

I really like this deck, fab boarderless design - are we starting to see a shift towards boarderless deck design??

Looking at the face of the cards is anyone else getting the MISC Goods' esque vibe??

Really a great, clean deck and i will certainly look to buy a few of these bad boys and even make a staple performing deck.

I like designs without boarders, too - especially when they're always late with the rent.

As far as a "shift" - go easy, bro.  E has made only about three decks without BORDERS.  (Yeah, that's how you spell it...  :)) )

I did get the Misc. Goods vibe, but since they're still more like standard than custom courts, only to a small degree.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 07:15:59 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2013, 08:17:09 AM »

therealmackay

• True Member
I was maybe too quick to jump on the shift happening, but with the Madison decks flying off the virtual shelves and now this design certain to follow suit, i think we will see a few more designs without the BORDERS ;)

« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2013, 11:39:16 AM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I haven't been a card collector long so I can't comment or relate to how these cards may or may not play a part of a larger series. My comments are made only from a design stand point. As I fully appreciate a simplistic design, but if you are going to try and create an almost minimal design you have to push that design farther than what looks like stock patterns you can find in illustrator's pattern library. There is so little here to comment on the few things I can comment on like font set, I would say use something besides Arial. Minimalistic designs are some of the absolute hardest designs to pull off. In my opinion they didn't pull it off, all I see is a company trying to pump out another deck with spending the least amount of time and money in it's design. I call these decks "weekend decks"

"Hey its Friday lets design a new deck by monday!"

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 11:52:38 AM by JacksonRobinson »
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2013, 01:55:30 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
I haven't been a card collector long so I can't comment or relate to how these cards may or may not play a part of a larger series. My comments are made only from a design stand point. As I fully appreciate a simplistic design, but if you are going to try and create an almost minimal design you have to push that design farther than what looks like stock patterns you can find in illustrator's pattern library. There is so little here to comment on the few things I can comment on like font set, I would say use something besides Arial. Minimalistic designs are some of the absolute hardest designs to pull off. In my opinion they didn't pull it off, all I see is a company trying to pump out another deck with spending the least amount of time and money in it's design. I call these decks "weekend decks"

Jackson, I agree with you. I respect your opinion and skill as a designer. I just find it a little ironic that your calling this a weekend deck after pumping out TEN decks of your own faster then any newcomer in playing cards history. lmao
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 02:07:00 PM by Anonymous »

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2013, 02:50:46 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

Jackson, I agree with you. I respect your opinion and skill as a designer. I just find it a little ironic that your calling this a weekend deck after pumping out TEN decks of your own faster then any newcomer in playing cards history. lmao

touche, touche... :) Big difference between an 100 day deck (which is about what I spent on the Fed and 3 days) I can't wait until the promo video has a sweet voice over that says "we've" been working on this deck for over 12 months"

And as for the Fed goes is really only 4 decks just 10 different tuck boxes, and thats only because thats what my supporters wanted and asked for. I actually really like the idea of "Weekend Deck" maybe thats something that we could start is a weekend deck battle, it would really force those that would like to design decks to really rely on good design rather than a faddish theme.
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2013, 05:36:17 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

touche, touche... :) Big difference between an 100 day deck (which is about what I spent on the Fed and 3 days) I can't wait until the promo video has a sweet voice over that says "we've" been working on this deck for over 12 months"

And as for the Fed goes is really only 4 decks just 10 different tuck boxes, and thats only because thats what my supporters wanted and asked for. I actually really like the idea of "Weekend Deck" maybe thats something that we could start is a weekend deck battle, it would really force those that would like to design decks to really rely on good design rather than a faddish theme.

"Weekend Deck Battles" So your saying by way of public shame and embarrassment, we can help designers reconsider a design OR at the very least get them to take more time designing it. Don't we already do something like that here? Lol
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 10:53:29 PM by Anonymous »

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2013, 11:28:45 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

"Weekend Deck Battles" So your saying by way of public shame and embarrassment, we can help designers reconsider a design OR at the very least get them to take more time designing it. Don't we already do something like that here? Lol

Actually, the concept of a "weekend deck design" contest is really a pretty good one.  Finding willing designers to participate would be the challenge.  If you can find a designer (or a few) willing to give it a shot for fun, go for it.  We even have an entire board already dedicated to deck battles!  Perhaps we can even do some kind of charity thing - people can pay to buy copies of the winning deck (or perhaps just a poster print of what the uncut would look like), made with a short-run printer, and profits would go to the charity of the winning designer's choice.  If you find the designers, I'll be willing to help hammer out the rules and other details of the contest and sort out some solution for making the winning deck.