You are Here:
Favorite Movies/Good Movies You've Seen Lately

Author (Read 8679 times)

Re: Favourite Movies
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2013, 06:19:40 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Not to mention he tends to use th same cast too .. I love Tarantino movies .. Jackie brown is another one I left out, his style is just so different

Edit: yes, django .. I was thinkin old school movies that I forgot about that
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 06:20:47 AM by brownmagician »
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2013, 01:34:52 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
How about  favorite movies by a single Actor/Actress

I would say Tom Hanks has got to be one of the all time greatest

A few of my favorites

Big- Nominated for Best Actor- Academy Award
Sleepless in Seattle
Forest Gump-Won Best Actor- Academy Award
Apollo 13
Toy Story series
Saving Private Ryan-Nominated for Best Actor- Academy Award
Cast Away-Nominated for Best Actor- Academy Award(would have won if not for Gladiator-another of my favorite movies)
The Da Vinci Code
Angels & Demons
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
Coming Soon-Captain Phillips- looks to be another great one

Over 8 Billion in gross box office sales worldwide.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2013, 02:56:36 AM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member
  • What does the Faukx say?

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

The Prestige - Loved this movie and I think it was set in the perfect period to go into a little bit of the behind the scenes of magic's history.

The Prestige - Wolverine and Batman try to out-compete one another using magic tricks.
Who wants to play '52 Card Pickup'?

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2013, 06:25:00 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

A few of my favorites

Sleepless in Seattle
Apollo 13
Toy Story series
Cast Away-Nominated for Best Actor- Academy Award(would have won if not for Gladiator-another of my favorite movies)
The Da Vinci Code
Angels & Demons

What has over 8 billion in box office gross?  None of those films do.  Maybe all of them combined, but even then I have my doubts.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2013, 08:12:26 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
The Prestige - Loved this movie and I think it was set in the perfect period to go into a little bit of the behind the scenes of magic's history.

The Prestige - Wolverine and Batman try to out-compete one another using magic tricks.

Well in that case lets not  forget Alfred and Black Widow, lol

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2013, 09:10:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Well in that case lets not  forget Alfred and Black Widow, lol

I just watched Black Widow on Netflix earlier this morning!

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2013, 06:20:21 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

A few of my favorites

Sleepless in Seattle
Apollo 13
Toy Story series
The Da Vinci Code
Angels & Demons

Ahh and the terminal - love that movie
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2013, 10:58:41 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

A few of my favorites

Sleepless in Seattle
Apollo 13
Toy Story series
The Da Vinci Code
Angels & Demons

What has over 8 billion in box office gross?  None of those films do.  Maybe all of them combined, but even then I have my doubts.

Movies                    Domestic Box Office                    International Box Office                          Worldwide Box Office

As an Actor
                    Leading                36                           $3,909,835,245                            $4,155,184,636                                    $8,065,019,881
                    Supporting             4                                 $46,678,895                                $14,400,000                                         $61,078,895
 Lead Ensemble Member          4                                 $93,408,414                               $145,460,292                                      $238,868,706
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2013, 12:46:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

A few of my favorites

Sleepless in Seattle
Apollo 13
Toy Story series
The Da Vinci Code
Angels & Demons

Movies                    Domestic Box Office                    International Box Office                          Worldwide Box Office

As an Actor
                    Leading                36                           $3,909,835,245                            $4,155,184,636                                    $8,065,019,881
                    Supporting             4                                 $46,678,895                                $14,400,000                                         $61,078,895
 Lead Ensemble Member          4                                 $93,408,414                               $145,460,292                                      $238,868,706

OK, your chart here lists 44 movies, while your list only list eleven, of which one isn't even in release yet and has thus earned zero dollars at the box office, domestic and international...

I'd wager that if you're picking out statistics like that, Harrison Ford would have him beat, hands down.  The original Star Wars movie alone has taken in over three-quarters of a billion dollars worldwide.  (Or was that with the merchandising - no, wait, that would make the number MUCH higher, well over the two billion mark...)

But none of that really matters, except to the bean counters in Hollywood.  The way I see it, the most popular film is measured not by dollars earned, but by butts in theater seats - the actual attendance numbers.  When counted that way, there's one film that beats them all.  It's held that record quite some time now, and also holds the record for longest continuous run in a single theater - over four years straight, no other features played between shows.  (Don't spit out "Rocky Horror Picture Show" - it holds the record for longest NON-CONTINUOUS run, over twenty-five years here in New York played as a midnight movie on weekends.)  Also, when adjusted for inflation, it is STILL the top-earning film of all time.

Tell me that film...  :))

Also, since I'm on the topic of movie success, there's one film that made more money at the box office than all others measured in terms of return on investment - the ROI was 150,000%!  That's right - for every dollar it cost to make, it earned $1,500 - no movie since can make such a claim.

Tell me that film, too...  :)) :))

(You do realize you're talking to THE film buff, right?)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 12:48:50 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2013, 01:43:17 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

A few of my favorites

Sleepless in Seattle
Apollo 13
Toy Story series
The Da Vinci Code
Angels & Demons

As an Actor

OK, your chart here lists 44 movies, while your list only list eleven, of which one isn't even in release yet and has thus earned zero dollars at the box office, domestic and international...

I'd wager that if you're picking out statistics like that, Harrison Ford would have him beat, hands down.  The original Star Wars movie alone has taken in over three-quarters of a billion dollars worldwide.  (Or was that with the merchandising - no, wait, that would make the number MUCH higher, well over the two billion mark...)

But none of that really matters, except to the bean counters in Hollywood.  The way I see it, the most popular film is measured not by dollars earned, but by butts in theater seats - the actual attendance numbers.  When counted that way, there's one film that beats them all.  It's held that record quite some time now, and also holds the record for longest continuous run in a single theater - over four years straight, no other features played between shows.  (Don't spit out "Rocky Horror Picture Show" - it holds the record for longest NON-CONTINUOUS run, over twenty-five years here in New York played as a midnight movie on weekends.)  Also, when adjusted for inflation, it is STILL the top-earning film of all time.

Tell me that film...  :))

Also, since I'm on the topic of movie success, there's one film that made more money at the box office than all others measured in terms of return on investment - the ROI was 150,000%!  That's right - for every dollar it cost to make, it earned $1,500 - no movie since can make such a claim.

Tell me that film, too...  :)) :))

(You do realize you're talking to THE film buff, right?)

I should have been more clear about the 8 Billion being for all of his movies. Harrison Ford is close with right about 7 Billion for 45 movies

I would say Gone With the Wind

And Paranormal Activity made $193,200,000 on a budget of $15,000 = 1,288,000% ROI or $12,880 per $1

Gotta love google!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 01:43:53 AM by Rob Wright »

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2013, 02:08:57 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I should have been more clear about the 8 Billion being for all of his movies. Harrison Ford is close with right about 7 Billion for 45 movies

I would say Gone With the Wind

And Paranormal Activity made $193,200,000 on a budget of $15,000 = 1,288,000% ROI or $12,880 per $1

Gotta love google!

Actually, the numbers can't be considered accurate for "Paranormal Activity."  While you're likely correct in terms of it being highest ROI of any movie, the $15,000 doesn't take into account any of the marketing and advertising paid for - critical parts of any film's budget.  Accurate figures for the budget including the marketing are not available.  So there's no way to accurately peg what the true ROI really was - though I'm inclined to agree with you.

"Gone With the Wind" does indeed have the highest attendance, highest gross in inflation-adjusted dollars and longest run in a single theater - a movie house in London played it for four years straight during WWII.

The highest ROI movie I had in mind was "Easy Rider".  Released in 1969, it earned $60,000,000 on a total budget including marketing of only $400,000.  And I got my ROI number wrong - it's only $150 for each dollar.  By comparison, the highest box office earner, Avatar, made 2.782 billion dollars, but cost 100 million to make, giving it an ROI of only $27.82 per dollar spent.

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2013, 03:15:41 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I just watched was has to be among the most hysterical of all movies having to do with magic.

It's a 2007 British film called Magicians, and it's available on Netflix streaming video, among other services.

I was nearly busting a gut laughing.  Basically, it's a relationship movie hung on the framework of a British magicians' convention/competition.  But man, it's funny on both the main action and the side bits with the lesser characters.  I don't want to ruin the plot, you just have to go and see it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 03:15:55 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2013, 06:54:23 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I just watched was has to be among the most hysterical of all movies having to do with magic.

It's a 2007 British film called Magicians, and it's available on Netflix streaming video, among other services.

I was nearly busting a gut laughing.  Basically, it's a relationship movie hung on the framework of a British magicians' convention/competition.  But man, it's funny on both the main action and the side bits with the lesser characters.  I don't want to ruin the plot, you just have to go and see it.

I'll have to check that out Don, nothing like a good comedy to make your day....and it's got a magic theme, even better  :)

What good movies have you seen lately?
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2013, 02:18:00 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Just finished watching a recent British production, "Burke and Hare" - very humorous and based (VERY loosely) on real-life events in 1828 Edinburgh during the "Scottish Enlightenment" and the key players in the development of the science of anatomy.  Yes, it doesn't sound very humorous, but trust me, it really is - and perfect for this time of year, as Halloween approaches.

Re: What good movies have you seen lately?
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2013, 06:39:48 AM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

The most recent movie I watched (which was actually quite good) was 'Gravity'.

I got told by someone that they had heard it was a rom-com masquerading as a thriller movie. This person was a moron. It was an enjoyable watch, not the best movie I've ever seen. I would consider watching it again, but probably won't get it on DVD or BluRay when it gets released.

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2013, 09:27:11 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
The most recent movie I watched (which was actually quite good) was 'Gravity'.

I got told by someone that they had heard it was a rom-com masquerading as a thriller movie. This person was a moron. It was an enjoyable watch, not the best movie I've ever seen. I would consider watching it again, but probably won't get it on DVD or BluRay when it gets released.

You stole my thunder Ronyo, me and the wife saw Gravity over the weekend. I liked it a lot, much better than I thought it would be. I would have to agree with you though, probably not a purchase when released, I think its a great "Big Screen" experience, but I think it will lose something on a smaller screen.

Also watched World War Z over the weekend, missed it when it was in theaters. Enjoyed that as well.

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2013, 10:58:10 PM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
I had a lady friend drag me to Don Jon and if you enjoy seeing grown men masturbate, this is gold. But cinematically it's total trash.

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2013, 04:24:38 AM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

I had a lady friend drag me to Don Jon and if you enjoy seeing grown men masturbate, this is gold. But cinematically it's total trash.

That sounds like a movie Alex would enjoy.

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2013, 08:43:34 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
If they are dead men they are masturbating to Don could be in it. atleast according to this story.

http://aethercards.com/discourse/the-lol-a-query-um/let's-make-a-story/20/
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 08:10:59 AM by John B. »
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2013, 12:20:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Yeah, when I started actually hearing the characters speak in the TV ads, my ear hairs curled and I just had to say no.  I was wavering because of the leads, but that is no longer enough to persuade me.  Movie tickets cost too much where I live to be wasting the cash on steaming cinematic turds.

If they are dead men they are masturbating it Don could be in it.

http://aethercards.com/discourse/the-lol-a-query-um/let's-make-a-story/20/

Hmm...  John B. - first an alcoholic, now obsessed with dead people, masturbation and me.  I would say that I'm honored, but I'm too busy gagging on the vomitus I'm creating...  Does anyone have a towel - wait, it's coming back...urk...cnt typ n e moar...

« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2013, 02:33:32 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
"Upside Down", starring Jim Sturgess + Kirsten Dunst, directed by Juan Solanas, 1:47 long, released 2012.  Available on Netflix Streaming.

Fun, whimsical against-the-odds love story in a very science-fictional setting.  It's really a fantastic film, but it appears to have been barely released here (in the US) at all.  I think it's actually a European production.  It has an MPAA rating, so it couldn't have been straight to DVD, I think, but until I found it on Netflix, I'd never heard of it.

Unfortunately I can see why it didn't get a real push here - in the first few minutes of the film, a voiceover explains to you what the setting is; even I don't understand the full physics of it, but you don't have to in order to get the story premise.  Basically you have two worlds in some kind of a binary orbit around the same sun.  They share the same "sky", but have polar opposite gravity - the matter of each world is attracted to that world and not the other.  When matter of one world comes into contact with that of the other, it generates a thermolytic reaction (the matter from the wrong world gets hot).

Very cool as far as a sci-fi premise.  But try explaining that in an understandable manner to Joe and Jane Sixpack at the local multiplex...

Here's the Netflix paragraph-long summary: "Adam loves on a poverty-striken world, while Eden is from its affluent twin planet, and their love sparks an interplanetary incident."  It sort of just scratches the surface, but the story is much more entertaining than that makes it out to be.  I rated it 4 out of 5 stars, "really liked it."

For those outside the US and/or unfamiliar with Netflix ratings:
1 star: hated it
2 stars: didn't like it
3 stars: liked it
4 stars: really liked it
5 stars: loved it

You don't get "pre-made" ratings - Netflix asks you to rate various films and TV shows that you've seen, and based on your ratings makes recommendations of other shows and movies you're likely to enjoy.  When you browse, they provide an estimate of what they think you're going to rate a film, measured to the nearest tenth of a star - I think they thought I'd rate this film about a 3.7 or a 3.8.  The more ratings you provide, the more accurate their estimates of future ratings will become - but you're free to browse for films of any estimated rating throughout their streaming-video collection.  I've been finding that with rare exception, their estimated ratings are pretty accurate, but it helps that I've watched a lot of films and shows and provided ratings for them.

For customers also taking advantage of the company's much-larger selection of DVDs, the ratings are combined between the two services.  I miss the DVD service because of the huge collection it had, including many rare and out-of-print movies and shows, but it was more expensive and required frequent trips to the post office.  I would never have the DVDs sent to my current home - the mailbox provided is too small.

EDIT: just watched another movie...

"Guns, Girls and Gambling", starring Christian Slater and Gary Oldman among others, directed by Michael Winnick, released 2011, not rated (probably a straight-to-video movie), available on Netflix Streaming.

Imagine a John Woo movie and a Quentin Tarantino movie got together, decided to have a baby, and the offspring looked like Christian Slater - since it was really centered on him from start to finish, plot-wise.  It's a neo-noir heist movie set in an unspecified state in the American West (other than Texas) near an Indian reservation and casino, and it has more plot twists than any other movie I have EVER watched.  Not entirely implausible plot twists, but it's enough to give you whiplash.  The plot is pretty intricate, the dialogue, not so much - I got the feeling I was watching an episode of a Christian Slater TV show.  So, lame dialogue, lots and LOTS of Slater voiceover, and a really intricate, good story.  I "liked it alot", four stars.  Oh, and there's a surprising cast of actors in this one - more than a few recognizable names, but mostly character actors or former A-listers.  They're not bad actors, but the characters are either a) very stereotypical or b) intentionally against stereotype (something that will make a lot more sense when you see the movie).  Oh, did I mention that it's actually pretty funny on top of all that?  I mean after all, what Christian Slater movie doesn't have a healthy dose of humor to it?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 04:17:58 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2013, 08:50:25 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
I thought Upside Down was great! A very creative idea, with beautiful execution.

I saw the new Carrie movie last night. I don't remember the original very well, but the new one was pretty good. Juliane Moore was great! I liked how they set it in modern times with the Internet and phones that can shoot video. The stuff that takes bullying to even more extreme levels.

Thanks, Randy

« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2013, 09:11:23 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I thought Upside Down was great! A very creative idea, with beautiful execution.

I saw the new Carrie movie last night. I don't remember the original very well, but the new one was pretty good. Juliane Moore was great! I liked how they set it in modern times with the Internet and phones that can shoot video. The stuff that takes bullying to even more extreme levels.

Thanks, Randy

Carrie is on my "wanna see" list, along with "Ender's Game".  I recently re-read the book and dug deeper into the series - I'm itching to see this film on the big screen.  Yes, I know there were some changes made, like the Battle Room, but as portrayed in the book it would have been deadly boring visually.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 09:11:37 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2013, 09:55:50 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

Thanks, Randy

Glad to hear about the "Modernization" of the movie Randy, sadly I am old enough to remember the original and it's one of my favorites. Don I'm with you on Enders Game, great book, as always you kind of have to hold your breath when books like these get made into movies.

Back on topic, was flipping through channels and The Usual Suspects was just starting....GREAT MOVIE! If you haven't seen it, put it on your list  ;)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 09:56:20 AM by Sparkz »

« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2013, 06:10:18 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Another stunningly good film, an indie shot on a shoestring budget.

If the bulk of what passes for American popular culture makes you long for the sweet, sweet smell of cyanide, you'll have a blast with this film.

"God Bless America" - 2011, rated R, 1:44 long, starring Joel Murray (Bill Murray's brother, and a good comedic actor in his own right) and Tara Lynne Barr, directed by (can you believe it?) Bobcat Goldthwait!  Who knew this guy was such a kick-ass director!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 06:15:47 AM by Don Boyer »