You are Here:
Madison Players in Scarlet Exist

Author (Read 2552 times)

« on: July 22, 2013, 08:10:45 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

While I'm waiting for my Scarlet Rounder Deck and Mechanic DVD set, this was answered by Madison on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/DANIELmadison/status/359443332805951488

I'd really like to have one of these.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 08:15:44 PM by Legacy »

Re: Madison Players in Scarlet Exist
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 11:36:41 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
It's no surprise that there's be a special "reserve color" for him.  Blaine's been doing that for years on pretty much all of his deck releases.  I'd wager that, just like Blaine, he'll eventually start offering at least a limited quantity for public consumption - otherwise, why bother with posting the photo, right?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 02:41:39 AM »

entrails

While I'm waiting for my Scarlet Rounder Deck and Mechanic DVD set, this was answered by Madison on Twitter:

Are you going to open up that scarlet rounder deck up when you get it?

Having his own private stash of cards is very smart for futures sales of all of his products as well as his personal branding. It was a brilliant marketing move for the erdnase dealers to be sold like they were.As we all know  Madison and E instantly moved 5,000 green decks by packaging one scarlet deck with each brick sold. By "only" releasing 400 scarlets they sold  5,000 thousand greens. I bought a brick myself in fact and like the cards Madison Dealers.Madison is still sitting on approx. 2100 scarlet dealers.

2500 scarlet rounders, dealers and players so that's 7,500 scarlet decks now that we are aware of. Not too rare all things considered. Madison will have plenty of decks to help spur sales for all of his future projects, keep for personal use, give away to friends or to sit on them and see if they ever become more valuable and sell them on ebay one deck at a time.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 05:21:11 AM by entrails »

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 02:57:32 AM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
It's no surprise that there's be a special "reserve color" for him.  Blaine's been doing that for years on pretty much all of his deck releases.  I'd wager that, just like Blaine, he'll eventually start offering at least a limited quantity for public consumption - otherwise, why bother with posting the photo, right?

I agree, there is no point for E to put a stop to cashing in on DM decks. They seem to be the new trend lately, I would be very surprised if these don't appear on the market at some point.

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 03:07:16 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I agree, there is no point for E to put a stop to cashing in on DM decks. They seem to be the new trend lately, I would be very surprised if these don't appear on the market at some point.

Ah, but there's one small detail overlooked here...the Madison Players were a T11 product!  They've pulled them from their decks page, so I'm guessing that they didn't like how Madison bailed on them and went to E, making lots of money for them in the process.

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 03:09:57 AM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Wow, that did slip my mind, I guess I just automatically associate DM with Ellusionist. I wonder if there are any issues with contracts and stuff then between DM and T11.

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 03:23:22 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Wow, that did slip my mind, I guess I just automatically associate DM with Ellusionist. I wonder if there are any issues with contracts and stuff then between DM and T11.

You'd imagine there'd have to be something, but whatever it was, it couldn't have been all that long-term if he made a single deck and jumped ship.  The Players might have been his way of testing the waters over at T11 and it appears he didn't like what he saw.  I doubt T11 would have been the one to want to be rid of him, since they did very well with the Players deck and, like any company, it's looking to expand.  Progressing gradually from the Artifice to the Madison decks and gambling works, E is really making a push into "Expert Gambler" territory.

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 05:29:16 AM »

entrails

I believe part of that push that you are talking about Don is reflected in the teaser video for the Madison Dealers. It was very well done, fantastic in fact and different from the way E has shot trailers in the past. That trailer really captures a feel, an emotion from the past, something timeless. E products don't often appeal to me in such a manner.

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 05:34:11 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

Are you going to open that deck up when you get it?

I don't realistically anticipate ever getting one. If I did, NO. I would never open them or sell them for that matter. One, because of how rare they are. Two, its pointless because both the Rounders and Dealers are functionally better designed decks that I would rather use.

Don, is right. Because the Players are a Theory11 (T11) product, scarlet players would never see the commercial light of day. I'm a little surprised that Madison still mentions Players or answered questions about them. I would have thought that to be counterproductive now contracted with Ellustionist (E). It makes me feel like Madison has no issues with T11. Why would he? Madison and E seem to be doing very well for them selves. Not that T11 isn't but T11 seems to be the one that got the short end of stick on this deal.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 05:48:55 AM by Legacy »

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 05:46:47 AM »

entrails

I was joking around about your scarlet rounder deck! I know you wont open it.

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 05:53:00 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
I was joking around about your scarlet rounder deck! I know you wont open it.

Right, my bad. Both my scarlet dealer and scarlet rounder will remain unopened.

You did an edit to include "scarlet rounder" after I responded? I'm sure you can see based on your original statement why I assumed you were addressing the thread subject of Players.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 05:59:34 AM by Legacy »

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 02:58:37 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Having his own private stash of cards is very smart for futures sales of all of his products as well as his personal branding. It was a brilliant marketing move for the erdnase dealers to be sold like they were.As we all know  Madison and E instantly moved 5,000 green decks by packaging one scarlet deck with each brick sold. By "only" releasing 400 scarlets they sold  5,000 thousand greens. I bought a brick myself in fact and like the cards Madison Dealers.Madison is still sitting on approx. 2100 scarlet dealers.

2500 scarlet rounders, dealers and players so that's 7,500 scarlet decks now that we are aware of. Not too rare all things considered. Madison will have plenty of decks to help spur sales for all of his future projects, keep for personal use, give away to friends or to sit on them and see if they ever become more valuable and sell them on ebay one deck at a time.

You'd be amazed at just how quickly a creative card man can go through that many decks.  Let's just say that it isn't a lifetime supply!  I doubt he'd be putting them on eBay - why, when he can simply sell them from his own website?

Don, is right. Because the Players are a Theory11 (T11) product, scarlet players would never see the commercial light of day. I'm a little surprised that Madison still mentions Players or answered questions about them. I would have thought that to be counterproductive now contracted with Ellustionist (E). It makes me feel like Madison has no issues with T11. Why would he? Madison and E seem to be doing very well for them selves. Not that T11 isn't but T11 seems to be the one that got the short end of stick on this deal.

Madison could, in all likelihood, sell the Players on his own site, along with his other fine magic products.  He may have a deal with E now, but it can't be exclusive if he's still selling his own products - aside from Brad Christian, E's performers generally go into deals for a set time period or number of products, then they're off on their own.  Some of their older merchandise wasn't even produced by them, like the De'vo videos and the early Ferguson stuff.

Biggest possibility for those decks is that he'll keep the bulk of them, eventually releasing limited quantities to the public either as purchasable or as a prize/premium.  I can't imagine he's doing a lot with them now considering all the E decks he's promoting, but it's not like they're going to go stale after the use-by date, right?  :))

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 05:58:12 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Biggest possibility for those decks is that he'll keep the bulk of them, eventually releasing limited quantities to the public either as purchasable or as a prize/premium.  I can't imagine he's doing a lot with them now considering all the E decks he's promoting, but it's not like they're going to go stale after the use-by date, right? 

It could take decades for paper playing cards made using todays manufacturing materials to go stale. You're most likely right, Madison is not doing much with his private reserved players having created two functionally better decks with E. I hope he does decide to release some publicly and strike while his iron is hot. I at least would like to see a picture of one.

Madison should make a video of himself laughing evilly at materialism and playing card collectors while burning a few dozen of his scarlet players in a large inferno of flames. #madness
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:40:44 PM by Legacy »