You are Here:
Gods of Mythology Bicycle playing card deck (KS)

Author (Read 3090 times)

Re: Gods of Mythology Bicycle playing card deck (KS)
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 08:04:29 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Good Luck with the project Marci, I've met Mike, he's very open to working with people.

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2013, 11:05:43 PM »

Marci B

• DeviantArt:

• Tumblr:
Thank you! He's been very nice and I've heard good things about him from other people too. Looks like the project is off to a good start!

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2013, 08:27:54 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Thank you! He's been very nice and I've heard good things about him from other people too. Looks like the project is off to a good start!

Not simply good - excellent!  I'd be shocked if you didn't get this deck made this time.

My wife lost a bet to me and owes me a few decks of cards - I'm hoping this will be among them!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2013, 11:16:19 AM »

Marci B

• DeviantArt:

• Tumblr:
I hope so too, Don! :)

Yeah, I'm feeling good about this one - we're more than halfway there in less than 24 hours. I'd be pretty thrilled to have this deck in my hands finally!

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 01:30:30 PM »

Jason_Taylor

• Newcomer
So How often do failed KickStarters get picked up by another company to be produced? 

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2013, 05:51:32 PM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
So How often do failed KickStarters get picked up by another company to be produced?

Not too often.  This deck is solid, I backed it on both efforts.  Seems like Mike from Collectableplayingcards.com takes in Kickstarter decks he sees as promising that missed their goal for one reason or another.  I assume he subsidizes their decks out of pocket and sells the remainder on his site.  Seems like a good deal for all involved.  I'm sure Marci could shed more light on this subject.  I believe this is the second time Mike has done this.  The first being the Emotions deck, although I don't think he ran that through another Kickstarter campaign, just printed it and sold it on his site.  I'm not 100% sure on all this so anyone can correct anything I've said here.

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2013, 06:59:03 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Not too often.  This deck is solid, I backed it on both efforts.  Seems like Mike from Collectableplayingcards.com takes in Kickstarter decks he sees as promising that missed their goal for one reason or another.  I assume he subsidizes their decks out of pocket and sells the remainder on his site.  Seems like a good deal for all involved.  I'm sure Marci could shed more light on this subject.  I believe this is the second time Mike has done this.  The first being the Emotions deck, although I don't think he ran that through another Kickstarter campaign, just printed it and sold it on his site.  I'm not 100% sure on all this so anyone can correct anything I've said here.

That sounds about right, kdklown.  I remember the Emotions deck having at least two KS runs and I think it was taken on as a private job after that.  If I wasn't so lazy, I'd check the deck's topic!

Decks taking a second (or third) run at KS is not uncommon, but taking it private after a failure is quite uncommon.

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2013, 11:07:35 PM »

Marci B

• DeviantArt:

• Tumblr:
I actually approached Mike about it. My first go on Kickstarter only got to 47%. I had done some thorough research and I couldn't think of that many things I would do differently if I relaunched, so I wasn't very confident that a 2nd try would do much better. People encouraged me to relaunch with a lower goal, but it was too financially risky for me to do that. I wasn't sure I'd find a way to distribute the remaining decks and I'd have to pay for the whole print run plus shipping the rewards out too, and that adds up. One of my backers told me about Mike and suggested contacting him to see if he would be interested, so I submitted my deck through his website. It turns out he was one of my backers too and he wanted to see it printed. He's able to set a much lower goal than I was and like kdklown said, he'll be able to sell them on his website after this. I'm relieved that I won't have to deal with shipping out rewards because I knew that was going to be a lot of additional work.
It's almost fully funded now, less than a week in, so I'm really happy about that!

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2013, 11:16:45 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
At less than $20 to go, this time your project's in great shape!  There's no question that you're going to reach the goal - it's just a matter of what, if any, overfunding goals you'll be setting.