You are Here:
Global Titans from The Expert Playing Card Co. (CARC)

Author (Read 4466 times)

Global Titans from The Expert Playing Card Co. (CARC)
« on: July 10, 2013, 02:10:20 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Global Titans are the premiere release of The Expert Playing Card Company, LLC. EPCC is committed to creating the best cards in the world for the best hands in the world. Global Titans are an amazingly thin, flexible and workable deck manufactured and then finished by hand in Shanghai. In addition to the exceptionally fine quality of the cards themselves, the packs come in a beautiful Art Nouveau tuck case that is both gold foil stamped as well as embossed. These cards are embossed with a fine texture and handle and feel quite differently than any other deck that Conjuring Arts has ever released. We are very pleased to be offering these cards exclusively to our customers. Orders of 12 come in a custom Global Titan brick box, printed both inside and out. The Global Titan pack comes in Classic Gold and Pearl White and the custom brick box is specific to each color back. These cards are extremely limited and will not be reprinted. As low as $3.47 a deck for members!

http://conjuringarts.org/2013/07/new-global-titans-from-the-expert-playing-card-co/
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 07:15:44 PM by Legacy »

Re: [NEW] Global Titans from The Expert Playing Card Co. (CARC)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 03:04:56 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
It's a pity. I understand economic reasons, USPCC limitations (I guess they have four standard court cards: Arrco, Bicycle and two variations of "vintage" faces) but I don't understand this name.
This is a strange mixed reprint of a really nice deck Triton No.42 by The New York Consolidated Card Co.
http://a.trionfi.eu/WWPCM/decks05/d02620/d02620.htm

Titans? No, I don't understand.

But I don't have anything against these decks.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 03:05:45 PM by Collector »

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 05:47:35 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
It's a pity. I understand economic reasons, USPCC limitations (I guess they have four standard court cards: Arrco, Bicycle and two variations of "vintage" faces) but I don't understand this name.
This is a strange mixed reprint of a really nice deck Triton No.42 by The New York Consolidated Card Co.
http://a.trionfi.eu/WWPCM/decks05/d02620/d02620.htm

Titans? No, I don't understand.

But I don't have anything against these decks.

Global Titans were designed intentionally to evoke the look and feel of an old NYCCC deck.  It's not a reprint.  Here's what I wrote about them in a PM to someone moments ago.

I just got back from visiting CARC earlier today - Bill Kalush handed me two bricks of these, one of each color.  They're not from the same factory that made the Legends - that factory is in Taipei, this one is in Shanghai.  The quality is excellent - similar to the Legends but softer.  They will gum up a bit with lots of handling, but set them aside for a day or so and they'll bounce right back, better than USPC decks do.  Also, like the Legends, they require a little breaking in before they'll faro smoothly.

I'll take photos later to display here.  I think that if you liked Legends, or wanted to but didn't like the stiffness as much, you'll enjoy these decks.  As cheap as Legends were for a pack of custom cards, these are even cheaper - even non-members can get them for less than $5 a pack.  You'd be crazy not to at least give them a try.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 06:51:18 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Titans? No, I don't understand

Well... Its not uspcc. I believe uspcc would own Triton. The Ace and Tuck Box are a strong resemblance of the triton decks. Aren't most decks that rip off uspcc (counterfeit) from China (shanghai)?

I'm in it for a mixed brick. They were reasonably priced.

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 08:15:09 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Well... Its not uspcc. I believe uspcc would own Triton. The Ace and Tuck Box are a strong resemblance of the triton decks. Aren't most decks that rip off uspcc (counterfeit) from China (shanghai)?

Triton is indeed a USPC trademark, and trademark law is different from copyright law - the name would likely still be under USPC's control.  The name Titan as well is taken by another recently released deck which I believe was made by USPC for a third-party designer.  But Global Titan is unique!

It's assumed that most of the USPC counterfeit decks originate from China, but finding hard proof of that is a good deal harder.

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 08:38:22 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

Triton is indeed a USPC trademark, and trademark law is different from copyright law - the name would likely still be under USPC's control.  The name Titan as well is taken by another recently released deck which I believe was made by USPC for a third-party designer.  But Global Titan is unique!

It's assumed that most of the USPC counterfeit decks originate from China, but finding hard proof of that is a good deal harder.

Don

Who is The Expert Playing Card Co.? Is this a subsidiary/entity of Conjuring Arts Research Center OR a completely different company?

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 09:11:08 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos

Don

Who is The Expert Playing Card Co.? Is this a subsidiary/entity of Conjuring Arts Research Center OR a completely different company?

I may not be Don, but i know the answer to this question :D

The Expert Playing Card Company was formed by Conjuring Arts to find the best playing card manufacturers around the world and get this... manufacture some of the best playing cards!
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 09:41:55 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Don

I may not be Don, but i know the answer to this question :D

The Expert Playing Card Company was formed by Conjuring Arts to find the best playing card manufacturers around the world and get this... manufacture some of the best playing cards!

It's that and a bit more, actually...  But that's enough for now!

Photos coming soon.  :))

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 09:44:23 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos

It's that and a bit more, actually...  But that's enough for now!

Photos coming soon.  :))

I don't have the same insider connection you do... I have the customer service!

How soon is soon I gotta see the quality photo job you do, it better be on the level Alex Pandrea does! ;)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 09:46:07 PM by john »
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 08:02:01 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
These cards are extremely limited and will not be reprinted.

Anyone know how true this statement is in the description? (Extremely Limited) Being "limited" is just not good enough anymore?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 11:23:11 AM by Legacy »

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 08:43:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
These cards are extremely limited and will not be reprinted.

Anyone know how true this statement is in the description? (Extremely Limited) Being "limited" is just not good enough anymore?

It's limited, period.  They aren't reprinting it, to the best of my knowledge.  There are other projects in the works.

So, who wants to see some photos?  Cards first!  Click on them and watch them grow!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 08:44:10 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 08:45:21 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
And now, the boxes...

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 09:29:48 AM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
I think the pearl white deck looks good.   But the classic gold deck............well............just too much gold for me.   I don't why but everytime I look at the gold deck the word butterscotch pops in my head.   Either way, I'm gonna pass on both these.   I been a good boy this year and cut way back on my spending on decks.   I actually been buying more magic books, tricks and live lectures on penguin.   So with me not buying any of these there will be plenty more for all of you!    ;)
- Adam

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 11:18:28 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Don,

No mention of the finish? Since this is CARC, is this a smooth finish or standard air flow finish? Should we assume "finished by hand" will be smooth finish?

Also, you got two bricks of each color. No pictures of the custom brick boxes?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 01:11:00 PM by Legacy »

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 06:39:58 AM »

Paul.Middleton

• Discourse Veteran
  • Owner of JP Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I'm personally very intrigued by these - we should have them in stock within a couple of weeks!
http://jpplayingcards.co.uk/global-titans-playing-cards
~Paul Middleton,
JP Playing Cards
---------------------
FREE WORLDWIDE DELIVERY (UK over £30, EU over £70 and Rest Of World over £80)

www.jpplayingcards.co.uk

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 06:43:17 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Don,

No mention of the finish? Since this is CARC, is this a smooth finish or standard air flow finish? Should we assume "finished by hand" will be smooth finish?

Also, you got two bricks of each color. No pictures of the custom brick boxes?

"Air-Flow Finish" is an Ellusionist trademark, while "Air Cushion Finish" is USPC trademark.  This is an embossed finish and the coating is unnamed.  The embossing, similar to the Legends, is relatively shallow, owing in part to the thinness of the card stock, I believe.  You'll get maximum performance out of a deck with some breaking in - the guys at CARC all go around playing with these and performing sleights and flourishes with ease.  I'm not sure if I've ever seen Bill Kalush or Ricky Smith go out without a deck of cards in their hands!

I'll try getting brick box photos out later today.  I'l still waking up...  :))
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 06:50:45 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 07:58:32 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Thanks for the info Don,

I knew I've heard "air flow finish" before somewhere.

I'm personally very intrigued by these - we should have them in stock within a couple of weeks!
http://jpplayingcards.co.uk/global-titans-playing-cards

The design is elegant. I'm a little bothered about the triton theme the more I think about it. I don't know if these end up in my reserve/collection. The price was right to give them a try. I most defiantly will be using the crap out of these.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 10:57:40 AM by Legacy »

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 01:27:09 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I most defiantly will be using the crap out of these.

Hmm...  I will most definitely be using my cards, but most defiantly?

THIS...IS...THE ERDNASE EXCHANGE!!!!!
THIS...IS...THE SVENGALI DECK!!!!!
THIS...IS...CARDISTRY!!!!!

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 03:05:03 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
I most defiantly will be using the crap out of these.

Hmm...  I will most definitely be using my cards, but most defiantly?

THIS...IS...THE ERDNASE EXCHANGE!!!!!
THIS...IS...THE SVENGALI DECK!!!!!
THIS...IS...CARDISTRY!!!!!

Wow Don. That's a lot of talent you just put on display. ALL CAPS, LARGE FONT & IN RED. I don't think you've ever responded to anyone like this before? I'm honored.

The only thing I could think of more hilarious would be you writing "THIS .... IS ..... SPARTA". lol
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 07:17:51 PM by Legacy »

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 12:07:34 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Wow Don. That's a lot of talent you just put on display. ALL CAPS, LARGE FONT & IN RED. I don't think you've ever responded to anyone like this before? I'm honored.

..and let's not forget the yellow shadowing...  :))

The only thing I could think of more hilarious would be you writing "THIS .... IS ..... SPARTA". lol

OK - this is Sparta.  Gift shop to the left, bathrooms to the right...

But back on topic - why does the "Triton" theme bother you?  It's an homage to that classic deck, one that hasn't seen print in a very long time.  Bill literally said that he wanted the deck to look like something that came out of the old NYCCC factory.  Before USPC became the 800-pound gorilla of card manufacture, New York was a big center of the playing card business, with many companies headquartered here.  Even as USPC was buying up every competitor in sight, they did for a time maintain some operations in this city, consisting mostly of the operations of the companies they bought locally.

As I see it, the fact that he went with this print shop in Shanghai is a sign.  He stated on the box that parts of the manufacture of this deck are done by hand.  By removing some of the automation and replacing it with the eyes, ears and hands of their workers, I feel that they've managed to achieve a higher level of quality control.  It's pretty plain to anyone who's received a bum deck from USPC that even Q1 quality control doesn't guarantee a perfect deck - I've seen decks that were off-center, miscut, mismatched color of the backs on the same deck sheet and in one extreme case, I had a deck with several cards that had a gouge dug into them as if someone dropped something in the machine when the cards were being cut and sorted - it ruined about a quarter of the deck.  I've seen video on CARC of a Chinese factory where the workers sort the decks by hand - could a deck so badly damaged have escaped the scrutiny of those workers, even if they aren't part of quality control per se but just men and women on the production line?

To me, this should send a signal to USPC that they're not the only game in town.  They'll need to step up their game to compete with the likes of such factories or find themselves losing business.  (Either that or they'll just find the company and buy it!)

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2013, 10:39:08 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
and let's not forget the yellow shadowing...

A gilded edge… nice touch. I must of missed that looking at my cell phone. lol

But back on topic - why does the "Triton" theme bother you?  It's an homage to that classic deck, one that hasn't seen print in a very long time.  Bill literally said that he wanted the deck to look like something that came out of the old NYCCC factory.

Is it homage to a classic deck or did CARC specifically take design aspects from a USPCC property and get a Chinese Knock-Off printed?

Before USPC became the 800-pound gorilla of card manufacture, New York was a big center of the playing card business, with many companies headquartered here.  Even as USPC was buying up every competitor in sight, they did for a time maintain some operations in this city, consisting mostly of the operations of the companies they bought locally.

What’s that have to do with me being bothered by the Triton knock off? These were printed in China, not New York?

As I see it, the fact that he went with this print shop in Shanghai is a sign.  He stated on the box that parts of the manufacture of this deck are done by hand.  By removing some of the automation and replacing it with the eyes, ears and hands of their workers, I feel that they've managed to achieve a higher level of quality control.  It's pretty plain to anyone who's received a bum deck from USPC that even Q1 quality control doesn't guarantee a perfect deck - I've seen decks that were off-center, miscut, mismatched color of the backs on the same deck sheet and in one extreme case, I had a deck with several cards that had a gouge dug into them as if someone dropped something in the machine when the cards were being cut and sorted - it ruined about a quarter of the deck.  I've seen video on CARC of a Chinese factory where the workers sort the decks by hand - could a deck so badly damaged have escaped the scrutiny of those workers, even if they aren't part of quality control per se but just men and women on the production line?

I’m not disagreeing with you about “quality control”. (As I'm writing this my CARC package just arrived.)

Let me break a deck in and put it through the gantlet. I will come back and give you my honest opinion on the handling. That's only fair since I did pay money for them (not free Mr Boyer).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 11:48:01 AM by Legacy »

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 04:47:13 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
@Don, I didn’t notice new manufacturer. Thanks.
So I understand about the name “Tritons” but unfortunately it doesn’t resolve my problem with “Titans”. It doesn’t matter old, new, global, local, clever, stupid Titans… stop… the last one can be suitable (sorry, CARC, but this time you deserved this).

This I posted on CARC’s Facebook wall. I took several sentences from wiki.

The Titans were a primeval race of powerful deities in Greek mythology, ruled during the legendary Golden Age, were immortal beings of incredible strength and stamina - the first pantheon of Greek gods and goddesses. The Titans were overthrown by a race of younger gods - the Olympians (for example, Poseidon and Amphitrite).

Triton is a mythological Greek god, the messenger of the sea. He is the son of Poseidon and Amphitrite, god and goddess of the sea respectively, and is herald for his father. He is usually represented as a merman, having the upper body of a human and the tail of a fish.

I don’t care too much about other manufacturer. But I am really disappointed that CARC chose this “Global Titans”. I understand that something has to substitute vampires, zombies for this modern crazy marketing bacchanal. Now Titans on all decks, in all cinemas, in all toy stores?

CARC’s mission statement:
"Located in Manhattan, Conjuring Arts provides a valuable resource for performers, historians, collectors, and the general public, with its extensive working library of books and periodicals, many of which are not readily available anywhere else. Conjuring Arts strives to maintain and develop the most expansive collection of conjuring related material in the world, and then to provide public and practitioners access to it."

What next? Special ultra limited authentic Lincoln Vampire Hunter Deck for historians?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2013, 12:27:51 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Legacy: yes, it is an homage, to NYCCC in general and the types of decks they produced while they were still an independent company.  Yes, they were printed in Shanghai, but the Expert Playing Card Company is a New York City card company.  They don't print in New York, but the designs and administrative decisions all come from New York.  I may have gotten some decks for free, but I'm actually giving some away as a means by which to promote the deck.  I'll probably launch a contest here soon.  It'll be easy - more of a sweepstakes, I think, but fun nonetheless.

Collector: don't get hung up on Greek mythology.  Yes, the Triton image is still on the box, but Global Titans is more like a reference to the fact that this is an "international" deck, being designed in the US and made overseas in Shanghai.  Plus, Greek mythology doesn't have the monopoly on the term, though it's likely where it originated from.  Have you never heard of a successful businessman being referred to as a "titan of industry"?

All of this is missing the point.  That point is that this is a beautiful, well-made deck based on a very old design and printed by a company other than USPC.  Deck designers have cried out for alternatives to USPC probably from the earliest days of Ellusionist.  Look at the price point at which the deck is being offered - you RARELY see a high-quality, custom, USPC-made deck being offered for so little.  The ones that jump to my mind are the NOCs and the Bicycle Guardians.  Most decks cost from $2 more than this and up.  The most expensive cost of this deck from CARC before shipping is $4.99 - buy in bulk, be a member or both and you really save big.

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2013, 02:55:24 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Am I the only one that will say that the deck is a complete ripoff of one of my favorite vintage decks of all time... Add to that the generic swirly design and horrid mustard yellow color of the backs and I think that deck is hideous... Yuck... In addition, not USPCC... Come on here... Don, I think your too close to these projects to be impartial... This deck is nasty and not a good nasty... One last thing, is it me or does the king in the pic look like he has a black eye?

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2013, 04:55:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Am I the only one that will say that the deck is a complete ripoff of one of my favorite vintage decks of all time... Add to that the generic swirly design and horrid mustard yellow color of the backs and I think that deck is hideous... Yuck... In addition, not USPCC... Come on here... Don, I think your too close to these projects to be impartial... This deck is nasty and not a good nasty... One last thing, is it me or does the king in the pic look like he has a black eye?

I've handled the cards - have you?  I think it's a fine deck, rather attractive with good handling.  I'll be the first to say that I might not have gone with an all-yellow, print-to-the-bleed back on the yellow deck, but it was a design choice.  Surprisingly, the more broken-in decks that the guys at his office have been using are not showing much by way of chipping.  And they are REALLY broken in - the deck Bill was playing with was already getting darker at the card edges from so much handling.  I even noticed something interesting - when you took a yellow card from a deck that used and flipped it over in the middle of the deck, it does indeed disappear into the deck when it's held as a "block", only becoming visible as the cards were angled a small bit as though you were going to fan them.  As the stock edges darken with skin oils and dirt from handling, the color more closely matches the back of the deck.

Regarding the kings, they're the same kings every CARC deck has.  David Blaine on the KoS, Bill Kalush on the KoH, the Buck Twins on the KoC and Mark Stutzman on the KoD.  Personally, I thought that was an interesting gimmick when I first saw it on the numerous decks that preceded it, but now I actually am wanting something different - perhaps a more genuine vintage set of kings in a vintage-style deck.