You are Here:
New KS Deck: Divine deck (By Elite Playing Cards)

Author (Read 9668 times)

Re: New KS Deck: Divine deck (By Elite Playing Cards)
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2013, 06:47:29 PM »

DrianAbara

• Forum Regular
Just to wade in on the international shipping thing (as someone who has many times complained about it here and elsewhere) - just don't back.

I hate paying high international fees because I feel like I am footing the bill for 'FREE DOMESTIC SHIPPING' - am I actually footing the bill? No. There cost is taken from the deck, the amount of international customers is usually not enough to cover the cost of all the domestic ones. However, being the only set of customers to pay any shipping and handling leaves a sour taste.

I must say though, after about a year of whining about international shipping I've calmed down now because I realized that kickstarter wasn't what I thought it was. I assumed (through all the propaganda) that you 'pledged' on kickstarter to help a guy out, and as such you were 'rewarded' for your generosity. This is usually never the case anymore... If you think about vortex we got this forum, if you think about tendril the backers were enabled to see aurum information early and back on kickstarter for those, CCCC always do an amazing job as well, what I like about them is the actual special rewards, like the dice.

Those three companies I named in my opinion brought the community together for a common goal, to produce great decks. In return, those companies were loyal to their customers. Nowadays kickstarter acts as a presale, you order some decks 3 months in advance, most likely to add to your collection. In my opinion and judging from what alex posted earlier, I believe kickstarter for decks will end up being a resellers investment program. Let's face it as the seller you offload say 72 decks to 5 big resellers ~ $2500 made and you've five packages to ship out. As the buyer, you get the deck semi cheap (reseller price plus their profit), and you can combine shipping with all the other decks you want. Saving about a third. Who loses? Only those that can't get resellers on board.

It sucks not to be able to get involved with the kickstarter course, but from my experience you dont actually miss much, and those special exclusives are shit most times. Dice good, Chips nice (wont use, since I won't play with the deck), brick boxes lovely. Stickers fuck, crappy t-shirts piss off, a cap? No thank you. Kickstarter is dying for cards.

tl;dr
We should all stop bitching about international shipping, kickstarter sucks, I get decks from resellers and am happy about it :)
For me, I don't reckon the shipping is too bad for this one. As I live in the UK, the average custom deck costs around about £8.50 give or take a pound - and I've pledged for 2 decks at $27, which is £8 a deck - that is pretty good for the UK. And also I get to have 2 of these beautiful decks, of which I absolutely adore the design.
Love is magic

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 05:38:40 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Just to wade in on the international shipping thing (as someone who has many times complained about it here and elsewhere) - just don't back.

I hate paying high international fees because I feel like I am footing the bill for 'FREE DOMESTIC SHIPPING' - am I actually footing the bill? No. There cost is taken from the deck, the amount of international customers is usually not enough to cover the cost of all the domestic ones. However, being the only set of customers to pay any shipping and handling leaves a sour taste.

I must say though, after about a year of whining about international shipping I've calmed down now because I realized that kickstarter wasn't what I thought it was. I assumed (through all the propaganda) that you 'pledged' on kickstarter to help a guy out, and as such you were 'rewarded' for your generosity. This is usually never the case anymore... If you think about vortex we got this forum, if you think about tendril the backers were enabled to see aurum information early and back on kickstarter for those, CCCC always do an amazing job as well, what I like about them is the actual special rewards, like the dice.

Those three companies I named in my opinion brought the community together for a common goal, to produce great decks. In return, those companies were loyal to their customers. Nowadays kickstarter acts as a presale, you order some decks 3 months in advance, most likely to add to your collection. In my opinion and judging from what alex posted earlier, I believe kickstarter for decks will end up being a resellers investment program. Let's face it as the seller you offload say 72 decks to 5 big resellers ~ $2500 made and you've five packages to ship out. As the buyer, you get the deck semi cheap (reseller price plus their profit), and you can combine shipping with all the other decks you want. Saving about a third. Who loses? Only those that can't get resellers on board.

It sucks not to be able to get involved with the kickstarter course, but from my experience you dont actually miss much, and those special exclusives are shit most times. Dice good, Chips nice (wont use, since I won't play with the deck), brick boxes lovely. Stickers fuck, crappy t-shirts piss off, a cap? No thank you. Kickstarter is dying for cards.

tl;dr
We should all stop bitching about international shipping, kickstarter sucks, I get decks from resellers and am happy about it :)

The instances you mentioned about the KS projects acting as presales - well, there's only been one I can think of, and that was for the Aurum deck.  He released perhaps a hundred decks for his fans who caught wind of it early enough to buy.  I would question if Kickstarter would not allow such a project today, if they had analyzed it a little closer.

Kickstarter's primary mission is to launch someone's dream and perhaps make them successful enough to launch a company.  The thing I don't like about Kickstarter is the number of companies that keep coming back to launch on Kickstarter over and over.  It's like a baby that won't be weaned off of breast-feeding.  There's been cases where someone brought a deck to KS and had the cash already needed to "launch" it - he just wanted to take advantage of the social aspect and get his name further out into the public.  That's nice and all, but that's not really what Kickstarter was meant for, if you ask me.

International shipping - assuming that the person creating the project ran his numbers correctly before the launch, he factored in domestic shipping (in which I include "handling") in the cost of the deck.  In theory, international buyers should only be paying the difference between a domestic shipment and an international one on top of the price, and a little extra handling for having to fill out a Customs form for each and every international shipment.  If someone was too lazy to run the numbers and overcharges their international pledgers (or even the domestic ones), well, that's his foul-up, and if his project crashes and burns, so be it.

And YES, why must so many new deck projects start offering rewards as if they were running a flea market?!?  Decks and uncut sheets are a natural, since they're why the project's in existence.  T-shirts or caps of good quality, reasonably priced, might be nice, particularly if the art on them is good; only one or two designs, not a zillion.  Dice are a natural fit, but how many dice does someone need or want?  Art prints?  How many walls do these people think I have?  And once you start getting into the jewelry, is it really a deck project anymore?  Or a tchotchke project?

For me, I don't reckon the shipping is too bad for this one. As I live in the UK, the average custom deck costs around about £8.50 give or take a pound - and I've pledged for 2 decks at $27, which is £8 a deck - that is pretty good for the UK. And also I get to have 2 of these beautiful decks, of which I absolutely adore the design.

See, that's the attitude one needs to take with this.  "Will it cost me less than if I bought it at home?"  If the answer is yes, go for it.  If the answer is no, then you have to think a bit harder.  On the one hand, it's costly; on the other hand, a lack of funding might kill a project and the cards will never make it to a reseller.  So you need to decide if the "luxury tax" is worth getting the deck immediately or whether you want to take a chance on getting it later or not seeing it made.  The decision becomes more flexible as the project's close draws nearer - you'll see if there will be enough backing; if they're a little short, maybe you pitch in because you really like the deck.  Or not.  The one caveat in there is for cases where a limited-run deck sells out on Kickstarter - then you're paying a collector's premium to get the deck at home, and maybe that extra "luxury tax" is the more cost-effective means by which to get the deck.

Gentlemen, this has been a wonderful tangent and I thank you all for coming.  If you'd like to continue this, would you please move the discussion to Talk Park?  This is a topic for the Divine deck.  Thank you!  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 05:29:17 PM »

DrianAbara

• Forum Regular
Don, have you pledged to get any of these?
Love is magic

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 08:06:55 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Don, have you pledged to get any of these?

Let me ask you something: judging from what I've written here so far, what do you think is the answer to that question?  Be honest.

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 08:50:39 PM »

Blot153

• Newcomer
Don is listed as a platinum level buyer!!! Dear God Don!! 3,000 decks!!?? pffft ;D
Are You a PlalieN?

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 08:22:24 AM »

alvinhy

• Elite Member
  • SiShou Playing Cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Don probably has a wall partition in his house made out of decks

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2013, 09:50:04 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

My collection now is perhaps 1,400-1,500 decks and around 550 styles.  Not enough for wall - yet.

But back to the topic, if you don't mind?

No, I haven't pledged and don't have plans to.  As I stated, it's a great deck, but it's not my style.  That and I can't afford every single deck that hits the market.

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2013, 09:39:52 AM »

DrianAbara

• Forum Regular

My collection now is perhaps 1,400-1,500 decks and around 550 styles.  Not enough for wall - yet.

No, I haven't pledged and don't have plans to.  As I stated, it's a great deck, but it's not my style.  That and I can't afford every single deck that hits the market.
Do you prefer more classic looking cards then?
Love is magic

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2013, 04:53:27 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Do you prefer more classic looking cards then?

I have a wide variety of tastes, actually.  What I don't have a wide variety of paper currency in my wallet...  One must pick and choose when resources aren't infinite, and these aren't as appealing to me as some other designs.  Easy peasy.

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2013, 10:49:35 PM »

PlayingKards

Wow theres A LOT going on in the back design. I kinda like it. I like the ace suits.

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2013, 06:35:53 AM »

DrianAbara

• Forum Regular
Wow theres A LOT going on in the back design. I kinda like it. I like the ace suits.
The Aces are my favourite. There's something so beautiful and intricate about them, can't wait to get my decks but I gotta wait all the way until May :(
Love is magic

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2013, 10:52:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The Aces are my favourite. There's something so beautiful and intricate about them, can't wait to get my decks but I gotta wait all the way until May :(

PK - Just say "the aces."  Aces aren't suits, they're values.  Hearts, clubs, etc. - those are suits.

DA - You make it sound like you have to wait four or five years for the bleedin' cards to arrive!  Don't whine; it's very unattractive.  If patience is a virtue, I'm starting to think your generation is somewhat less virtuous than most, especially with this being the Internet Age.  If someone could send you a ham sandwich or some sushi as an attachment, your world would be complete...

OK, now I'm ranting like a grandpa...  "I used to walk to school five miles in the deepest snow, and it was all uphill - BOTH ways!  That's how it worked in the town of Escher back in the olden days..."  :))
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 10:53:46 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2013, 03:18:09 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

PK - Just say "the aces."  Aces aren't suits, they're values.  Hearts, clubs, etc. - those are suits.

DA - You make it sound like you have to wait four or five years for the bleedin' cards to arrive!  Don't whine; it's very unattractive.  If patience is a virtue, I'm starting to think your generation is somewhat less virtuous than most, especially with this being the Internet Age.  If someone could send you a ham sandwich or some sushi as an attachment, your world would be complete...

OK, now I'm ranting like a grandpa...  "I used to walk to school five miles in the deepest snow, and it was all uphill - BOTH ways!  That's how it worked in the town of Escher back in the olden days..."  :))

I'm still patiently twiddling my thumbs for the Core deck.
And then there's the set of Fulton's Clip Joint/Chinatown I ordered 8 months ago, and am still hoping the post office will spit it out of a pile of lost mail.

That being said, the wait comes with any KS project.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2013, 04:28:58 PM »

S.C.

• Forum Regular

I'm still patiently twiddling my thumbs for the Core deck.
And then there's the set of Fulton's Clip Joint/Chinatown I ordered 8 months ago, and am still hoping the post office will spit it out of a pile of lost mail.

That being said, the wait comes with any KS project.

Did you write sid at D&D about the missing package?

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2013, 04:47:21 PM »

DrianAbara

• Forum Regular

I didn't want to come across as whiny at all! I wanted to express my excitement for the deck :D (Just wanted to clear that up :D )
Love is magic

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2013, 09:39:54 PM »

The Quadfather

• Elite Member
Saw the back design of these and immediately decided to back them, right after i cleaned the drool off my phone. Then I took a look at the other photos, and I'm seriously happy that I went for the6 decks instead of just 2!
My mom always said I'd be great at something. Who'd have thought that something would be zombie killin'.

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2013, 08:23:40 AM »

DrianAbara

• Forum Regular
Saw the back design of these and immediately decided to back them, right after i cleaned the drool off my phone. Then I took a look at the other photos, and I'm seriously happy that I went for the6 decks instead of just 2!
You would have been able to change your pledge either way anyway :D
Love is magic

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2013, 09:00:30 AM »

Pacis

• Forum Regular

Lol, some drooling there. I loved them too. Beautiful design. But I went for the 3 pledge.

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2013, 10:53:09 AM »

S.C.

• Forum Regular

Lol, some drooling there. I loved them too. Beautiful design. But I went for the 3 pledge.

I agree, they look like works of art. I pledged for two of them. I do a lot of half pass work so their not the most practical for me in performance but i know I would kick myself if i didnt get a couple. ;)

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2013, 10:08:49 PM »

The Quadfather

• Elite Member
Any news about these? Haven't received an update or anything in around 8000 years!
My mom always said I'd be great at something. Who'd have thought that something would be zombie killin'.

« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2013, 11:26:02 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Any news about these? Haven't received an update or anything in around 8000 years!

If you're a backer, it's more like three weeks since they last updated.  You obviously haven't been looking all that hard for your answer...

They stated an estimated delivery date of May - it ain't May yet.

I will say, however, that they're website appears to be taking orders and lists them as being in stock.  One more deck I can move to the 2013 Releases list...

http://eliteplayingcards.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=57&product_id=57

Assuming this is correct, they're probably ahead of schedule and shipping to backers by now.  But it's also possible they bent the truth about this being "in stock" rather than a pre-order.

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2013, 06:30:40 AM »

The Quadfather

• Elite Member

If you're a backer, it's more like three weeks since they last updated.  You obviously haven't been looking all that hard for your answer...

They stated an estimated delivery date of May - it ain't May yet.

I will say, however, that they're website appears to be taking orders and lists them as being in stock.  One more deck I can move to the 2013 Releases list...

http://eliteplayingcards.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=57&product_id=57

Assuming this is correct, they're probably ahead of schedule and shipping to backers by now.  But it's also possible they bent the truth about this being "in stock" rather than a pre-order.

I've checked my emails and the last time I received one was close to when I made my last post on this thread in early February. Just thought it was strange is all.

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2013, 09:00:39 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Mine came in yesterday so at least some of them are already shipping.

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2013, 01:32:19 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I've checked my emails and the last time I received one was close to when I made my last post on this thread in early February. Just thought it was strange is all.

I was bothered less by your inquiry, more by the fact that it was a question you could EASILY have answered yourself...  Have you cleaned out your spam folder lately?  That's likely where your update emails went.  Failing that, you only needed to go to the KS project update page, as well as Elite's own website.

« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2013, 08:48:22 PM »

The Quadfather

• Elite Member

I was bothered less by your inquiry, more by the fact that it was a question you could EASILY have answered yourself...  Have you cleaned out your spam folder lately?  That's likely where your update emails went.  Failing that, you only needed to go to the KS project update page, as well as Elite's own website.

I've emptied my spam since then. But you're right. I could've checked. Just didn't think about it. Thanks for bringing my lack of expertise of backing kickstarter projects into the limelight though.