NEW DECK-- Bicycle Hemp Deck
« on: August 02, 2012, 04:22:27 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Bicycle Cards posts this new deck on their site.

The design looks great aside from the one way back. I like the aged look and the colors they used. And it's a hemp deck! I am assuming that these will be released sometime soon.

http://www.bicyclecards.com/products/playing-card/bicycle-hemp-deck

EDITED by mod to fix link.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 09:17:22 AM by Don Boyer »

Re: NEW DECK-- Bicycle Hemp Deck
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 05:37:05 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Is that a one-way back though?

I'm picking some up regardless. Hemp. Ha. As if that's their demographic here. :P
Forum Founder.

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 06:18:38 AM »

4pm Designer

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Wow that's pretty edgy coming from Bicycle. Especially considering they're a "family" business. I'm impressed.
Creator of Legacy, The Grid, Grid 2.0 & Mythos: Necronomicon Bicycle® Playing Cards. CEO of 4PM DESIGNS.

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 08:45:42 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
From what I understand the face cards all have bloodshot eyes and the deck of cards is too lazy to perform magic tricks or flourishes...  ;)

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 09:15:57 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Bicycle Cards posts this new deck on their site.

The design looks great aside from the one way back. I like the aged look and the colors they used. And it's a hemp deck! I am assuming that these will be released sometime soon.

http://www.bicyclecards.com/products/pl ... -hemp-deck

I read the copy - the deck is about hemp, but not made of it.  It does have a textured burlap appearance.

Wow that's pretty edgy coming from Bicycle. Especially considering they're a "family" business. I'm impressed.

They're not talking about it from a cannabis prespective - hemp actually is a big deal in recycling and biofuels.  If the country could stop tripping over its own feet regarding drug policy for drug plants with non-drug uses, it could represent a huge reduction in oil dependency.

From what I understand the face cards all have bloodshot eyes and the deck of cards is too lazy to perform magic tricks or flourishes...  ;)

Hahahahahahahahaha!!

The deck is "for sale" at Wingra Direct - they're taking orders now that will ship next week.

http://www.shopbicyclecards.com/Bicycle-Hemp-P149C42.aspx

I'm still trying to figure out how this deck managed to fly so low below the radar - it's for sale before we even knew it existed.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 09:21:52 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 10:20:53 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Personal opinion only, but that is totally lame. "Hemp" my butt. No one is going to look at that and be all "oh it's a natural fiber I can make clothes and rope out of!"

Reality:

"Hur hur hur. It has pot on it. Hur. That's, like illegal man, woah like I'm so subversive with these playing cards."

Dumb.

Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 11:15:19 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Personal opinion only, but that is totally lame. "Hemp" my butt. No one is going to look at that and be all "oh it's a natural fiber I can make clothes and rope out of!"

Reality:

"Hur hur hur. It has pot on it. Hur. That's, like illegal man, woah like I'm so subversive with these playing cards."

Dumb.

There are already a lot more pot-oriented decks out there.  I've seen one where one of the suits was joints, and one was I think a bong, the third was probably a hemp leaf and damned if I can remember what the fourth one was.

This one's super-tame.  The most stimulating thing it has is a green color scheme for the courts and a hemp leaf for the Ace (and jokers?).  Hemp is a great way to renewably provide high-grade paper which is highly recyclable, but allows you to use less recycled paper for new stock since no trees are harmed and hemp grows a lot faster than trees.  THAT is something USPC has a vested interest in, when you stop and think about paper consistency issues they and other card companies have discussed.

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 11:44:10 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Does anyone know a little more information about this deck? Is the stock itself made from hemp pulp? I ordered a brick so it should arrive in a few days. If I love the feel of this stock then the second deck from me will use this stock if it is available through uspcc. I am a strong supporter of hemp and people need to start realizing the facts of the plant rather then just seeing it as weed.
Besides the weed aspect which I won't get into : D.....Hemp is a very strong fiber source. Most states believe it or not ban it for factory use. Why? Again most people, when they see hemp they see weed. Not true at all. You can't smoke hemp and get high. If the bans were lifted, hemp could help resolve the crisis of natural resources since it can be easily grown.
Creator/Designer of Bicycle Galvanic Playing cards

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 01:08:04 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Does anyone know a little more information about this deck? Is the stock itself made from hemp pulp? I ordered a brick so it should arrive in a few days. If I love the feel of this stock then the second deck from me will use this stock if it is available through uspcc. I am a strong supporter of hemp and people need to start realizing the facts of the plant rather then just seeing it as weed.
Besides the weed aspect which I won't get into : D.....Hemp is a very strong fiber source. Most states believe it or not ban it for factory use. Why? Again most people, when they see hemp they see weed. Not true at all. You can't smoke hemp and get high. If the bans were lifted, hemp could help resolve the crisis of natural resources since it can be easily grown.

As far as I know, the stock itself is NOT hemp.  It's just standard paperboard, probably Bicycle stock.  They gave it a textured appearance to look like a hemp burlap sack, but that's just printed on - the feel is likely no different than any other Bicycle stock air-cushion deck.

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 11:40:19 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I wouldn't actually be surprised if they used an organic finish like for the Eco edition and the Archangels. I'd actually be happy if that were true. I like the way the finish feels a lot as well as it's durability. As for the coloring, I like how the purple pops out with the green. It kinda reminds me of MC v2.

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 04:41:24 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I got my decks today and they look really nice. The back design isn't one of my favorites because it is one way but the artwork is cool. The faces are nice and I love the court cards. The deck handles very nicely and it looks awesome in fans!
Review coming soon!

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 08:51:11 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I got my decks today and they look really nice. The back design isn't one of my favorites because it is one way but the artwork is cool. The faces are nice and I love the court cards. The deck handles very nicely and it looks awesome in fans!
Review coming soon!
Awesome, can't wait! Does the hemp theme really reappear throughout the deck or is it mainly on the cover?

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 05:15:52 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Review coming soon!
Awesome, can't wait! Does the hemp theme really reappear throughout the deck or is it mainly on the cover?
Well the back and one of the jokers definitely shows the Hemp theme. The cards themselves have a "weathered burlap" look which goes with the theme and the court cards are recolored nicely with greens and purple.