You are Here:
Gorilla Deck Bicycle Playing Cards

Author (Read 2760 times)

Gorilla Deck Bicycle Playing Cards
« on: October 01, 2015, 11:13:25 PM »

AlbinoDragon

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
We're on the fence about doing this Kickstarter or not.

The plan is to do a one time printing of 1,000 decks to get the design out into the world since it was one we really liked but it never reached funding.

Is this something anyone would be interested in? If so, how many decks and what country?

See the Kickstarter preview link here.

Re: Gorilla Deck Bicycle Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 12:41:36 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I remember the campaigns for this deck. I wouldn't mind backing the "Silver Back" edition of the deck myself. Something would have to be extremely tempting for me to go more than two or three decks since I am not too into apes myself, gifts you see.

Roll the dice I say, maybe there is suddenly a ton of ape loving peoples running around that were absent before. Whats the worst that could happen?
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 02:41:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I remember this deck.  It had a cool, whimsical design, better than a lot of other "gorilla" concepts I've seen come and go.  It's a fun deck, great for neighborhood poker!

If the budget is right, go for it.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 09:49:17 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Whoa, just saw the price on these. I think that's very expensive for a cross your fingers and pray it comes out right USPCC printed deck. Two is my absolute highest I would back here.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 11:42:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Considering the differences in the design between your back and the Rider Back, you could conceivably forgo printing with USPC and use a less-expensive company that's known to make better-aligned decks, both with faces to backs and backs to borders.

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 12:26:20 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I really liked this when it was originally tried. The pricing is at the top of the money chain for me. I might do 1 at that price. Have you thought of dropping the Bicycle logo, and maybe making a Gorilla logo that is similar to the Bicycle?
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 07:26:36 AM »

jsantafe

• Newcomer
Nice art, for sure, but again not sending outside the US. I see you are asking for interest outside the US, but it's difficult to get a clear sample of that population either here or in UC. True there's people from Australia, UK and Asia, but the vast majority are from the US.
So it's a shame when a project says "shipping only to the US", but you probably knew that before. I can see the logic in previous projects with copyrights difficulties, but in this one, I fail to understand the reason, other than convenience, which I can't argue against besides saying that you are missing a part of this community.

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 04:29:18 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Nice art, for sure, but again not sending outside the US. I see you are asking for interest outside the US, but it's difficult to get a clear sample of that population either here or in UC. True there's people from Australia, UK and Asia, but the vast majority are from the US.
So it's a shame when a project says "shipping only to the US", but you probably knew that before. I can see the logic in previous projects with copyrights difficulties, but in this one, I fail to understand the reason, other than convenience, which I can't argue against besides saying that you are missing a part of this community.

I'm inclined to agree with this statement.  The licensed properties are one thing - your license extends only to certain countries and that's it; you can't legally sell them elsewhere.  But this is an original property that you own.  There should be no impediments to selling outside the US.  A large and growing share of the custom card market is in Asia these days, has been for a handful of years, but with all the licensed decks you've been making over at AD, you haven't been able to sell to them.  All the card designers I've spoken to with international sales all say the same thing - a LOT of their decks are sold to Asian buyers.

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 01:11:08 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:

Wow a mature response for once regarding this issue, respect.  This is well worded and I think offers some caution on ignoring international.  I think you are correct in the assumption they are doing this out of convenience and also avoiding the rage of those who will complain about international shipping costs if they do include it.  As you may know, they have been very up front with some of their early projects and costs.  http://albinodragon.com/blog/dragon-crate-kickstarter-analysis/
An interesting metric here is that even though international shipping only accounts for 25% of the backers, it was about 50% of the total shipping costs.

Keep this in mind when offering shipping worldwide.

Also don't forget how much more time intensive shipping international packages can be. You'll ultimately have a lot of data processing to do trying to correct international addresses as well as filling out accurate customs forms.

Based on this, I would have to believe they found it either too much of a pain or they would have to charge so much for international shipping to account for cost and time, not to mention the previous problems with fraud due to lack of ability to fully track in some countries.  Either that or they would have to partially account for this in the cost of the deck itself and raise the cost for everybody.  However, at the current price of $15/deck it seems they should be able to handle it.  That said, not sure who will buy many if at all at that price. 

My impression and assumption is that international buyers have increased lately and they may end up with more than 25% which Don also seems to agree with, especially in AP.  It should be possible to also lower the price of the deck overall to increase the appeal, but then also charge appropriately for international shipping without the cost being too high for you all. jsantafe has a good point here.  From my perspective the price HAS to come done to a reasonable one considering what this deck is (not licensed and not embellished with embossing, foil, inner printing, etc), but you should also consider including international to make it a success, even if that means charging a little more for shipping to those that want it and dealing with the 'not fair' crowd.

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 01:22:59 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
An interesting thought - Legends PCC and Expert PCC now offer fulfillment services not just in the US but internationally as well.  Using a less-expensive printer and having them do at least the international fulfillment for you might be a viable alternative, allowing you to make the deck for less money and include the international portion of the marketplace.  You leverage their expertise at dealing with Customs forms and the like and let them do the heavy lifting getting decks to international buyers, while handling the domestic deliveries in-house - or not, if they offer you a less-expensive alternative, giving all deliveries over to them.  There's costs involved, to be sure, but the lower printing costs might offset them.

If you prefer the "made in USA" label, Gamblers Warehouse is also the Liberty Playing Card Company and has the capacity to print their own decks.  They're based in the Austin, Texas metropolitan area.  GW handles domestic fulfillment for EPCC as well as doing their own fulfillment for their sales site, playingcards.net.

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 08:16:03 AM »

AlbinoDragon

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Thanks for the feedback guys.

We probably won't be making the deck since it seems like there simply isn't enough interest to get the numbers we need to even break even (let alone actually make any money on the project).

Here is a more in-depth look at why: http://albinodragon.com/blog/gorilla-deck-adventures-in-decision-making/

And Don, Gambler's is located in Arlington, not Austin.

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 02:45:29 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
This is FINALLY live!  With any luck it will fund and we can actually get our hands on it!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1460165270/gorilla-deck-bicycle-playing-cards

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 10:47:18 AM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Funded!