You are Here:
FUNDED *InDemand* Mantecore Playing Cards LIVE on IndieGoGo

Author (Read 14082 times)

FUNDED *InDemand* Mantecore Playing Cards LIVE on IndieGoGo
« on: March 21, 2015, 04:57:18 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Hey guys, Edo Huang and myself have designed a deck called Mantecore as a tribute to Siegfried and Roy's tiger as well as a modern alternative to the standard Bicycle deck.

This deck would feature custom backs, aces, jokers, pips as well as a younger, simplified and borderless courts.

Here are some pictures and we are looking at launching a campaign sometime in the middle of the year. We would be using Legends Playing Cards Company for fulfilment and printing.

More pictures would be revealed in the coming weeks. Follow my instagram instagram.com/siegismyname as well as instagram.com/edohuang for more updates about the deck.

Cheers,
Ben
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 10:10:52 PM by Siegismyname »

Re: Mantecore Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 06:28:29 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Nice back you have there. To be born on the year of tiger I am getting some of this for sure  :D

Is it only 1 colour? or will there be white back as well?

Back for more

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 06:37:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
It looks nice but the faces remind me too much of Magic-Con 2013's deck by the Bucks.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 12:17:06 PM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Thank you for your kind words. Currently we are only planning to print only the red-orange one. But who knows ;)

It looks nice but the faces remind me too much of Magic-Con 2013's deck by the Bucks.
I actually love larger and simpler courts as I think larger courts are less bounded by the frame that they are in. And we tweaked the faces a little to make them a tad younger. I guess you are right about the courts looking like the magic-con '13 deck. Those are some of my favourite courts along side the Virts decks
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 12:18:42 PM by Siegismyname »

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 05:19:10 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
Great stuff Ben.

I'm a fan of Edo's work. Loved the Nautical deck, and I really like the look of this one also.

Whenever the campaign launches, I'll definitely be on board. Do consider having a second deck as a stretch goal, when the time arrives. Like 52JokesAndCounting, even I think a white backed variant would be cool -- after all, white tigers are pretty awesome.
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 10:15:23 PM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Definitely  White tiger with blue eyes looks really captivating. It will be a good stretch goal as a second deck.. Mantecore is a White Tiger anyway  :D
Back for more

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 12:13:21 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Definitely  White tiger with blue eyes looks really captivating. It will be a good stretch goal as a second deck.. Mantecore is a White Tiger anyway  :D

Sounds like a plan :)

Great stuff Ben.

I'm a fan of Edo's work. Loved the Nautical deck, and I really like the look of this one also.

Whenever the campaign launches, I'll definitely be on board. Do consider having a second deck as a stretch goal, when the time arrives. Like 52JokesAndCounting, even I think a white backed variant would be cool -- after all, white tigers are pretty awesome.
8) I'll definitely let you guys know when it launches

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 01:56:10 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I actually love larger and simpler courts as I think larger courts are less bounded by the frame that they are in. And we tweaked the faces a little to make them a tad younger. I guess you are right about the courts looking like the magic-con '13 deck. Those are some of my favourite courts along side the Virts decks

They are great - there's lots of decks using that style.  That itself might be the problem - it's becoming too common.  Why make a deck that looks like so many other decks, especially if yours isn't the first to look that way?

It's hard to tell if the courts are more youthful-looking, considering you supplied us only one photo with a court card in it.

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 10:56:56 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music

They are great - there's lots of decks using that style.  That itself might be the problem - it's becoming too common.  Why make a deck that looks like so many other decks, especially if yours isn't the first to look that way?

It's hard to tell if the courts are more youthful-looking, considering you supplied us only one photo with a court card in it.
That is true. However we prefer the deck to not be so tricked out and be usuable and recognizable to laypeople. More pictures of the courts will be revealed in the coming weeks.

For now here is a picture of the ace of hearts. Enjoy ;)

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 10:04:01 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

That is true. However we prefer the deck to not be so tricked out and be usuable and recognizable to laypeople. More pictures of the courts will be revealed in the coming weeks.

I think you've missed my point.  I'm all for a deck that has the classic look to it - especially if it's a deck I plan to use for magic.  I like presenting my audience with a deck they're either familiar with or that fits their sense of style.  Since I don't usually have advance knowledge of one's sense of style, I have to go with familiar.

That doesn't mean the deck has to be dull and boring, either.  It's an easy thing to retain the classic "International Standard" look while lending a bit of originality to it.  Not enough to appear unfamiliar to your audience, but enough to make it noteworthy.

But it does mean that if you want to make yours a bit different, find an original way to do it.  It looks a lot like D&D's deck from the court faces.

BTW: why "Mantecore?"  It's normally spelled "manticore," so I'm guessing there's a reason for the misspelling (other than "I turned off the spellchecker")...

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 11:19:54 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music

I think you've missed my point.  I'm all for a deck that has the classic look to it - especially if it's a deck I plan to use for magic.  I like presenting my audience with a deck they're either familiar with or that fits their sense of style.  Since I don't usually have advance knowledge of one's sense of style, I have to go with familiar.

That doesn't mean the deck has to be dull and boring, either.  It's an easy thing to retain the classic "International Standard" look while lending a bit of originality to it.  Not enough to appear unfamiliar to your audience, but enough to make it noteworthy.

But it does mean that if you want to make yours a bit different, find an original way to do it.  It looks a lot like D&D's deck from the court faces.

BTW: why "Mantecore?"  It's normally spelled "manticore," so I'm guessing there's a reason for the misspelling (other than "I turned off the spellchecker")...

I totally understand the concern about finding an original way to be different. While the first 6 versions of the smoke and mirrors deck had simpler courts, they still had that frame around the courts. The magic con 2012 however, had that larger (frameless) courts but not the simple ones. Thus we merged both of them to create what you will see in the deck. Also, our courts still contain a little detail in all of them and we made some minor tweaks to the faces. I hope this addresses that point.

Regarding the spelling "Mantecore" instead of "Manticore", the latter refers to the a creature which has the body of a red lion, a human head with three rows of sharp teeth (like a shark), sometimes bat-like wings, and a trumpet-like voice (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manticore). As you might have already noticed, there is nothing depicting a lion in this deck. In fact, the deck was named after the tiger that bit Roy Horn of Siegfried and Roy. Although his name is commonly misspelled. We find "Mantecore" to be the accurate spelling of the tiger. Hence the name.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 11:21:05 AM by Siegismyname »

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 11:50:05 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I totally understand the concern about finding an original way to be different. While the first 6 versions of the smoke and mirrors deck had simpler courts, they still had that frame around the courts. The magic con 2012 however, had that larger (frameless) courts but not the simple ones. Thus we merged both of them to create what you will see in the deck. Also, our courts still contain a little detail in all of them and we made some minor tweaks to the faces. I hope this addresses that point.

Regarding the spelling "Mantecore" instead of "Manticore", the latter refers to the a creature which has the body of a red lion, a human head with three rows of sharp teeth (like a shark), sometimes bat-like wings, and a trumpet-like voice (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manticore). As you might have already noticed, there is nothing depicting a lion in this deck. In fact, the deck was named after the tiger that bit Roy Horn of Siegfried and Roy. Although his name is commonly misspelled. We find "Mantecore" to be the accurate spelling of the tiger. Hence the name.

First, you've essentially said, "We liked two D&D designs so much, we cribbed them and combined them."  I used to complain a lot about a lack of originality over there, but this is worse.

Second, this link might be better for explaining your choice of title.  You should be more vocal about it - you chose a name that's a misspelling of a much more popular term than the name you actually named the deck after.  More people will think it was just a misspelling when it's really some kind of tribute.

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 09:05:07 PM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music

First, you've essentially said, "We liked two D&D designs so much, we cribbed them and combined them."  I used to complain a lot about a lack of originality over there, but this is worse.

Second, this link might be better for explaining your choice of title.  You should be more vocal about it - you chose a name that's a misspelling of a much more popular term than the name you actually named the deck after.  More people will think it was just a misspelling when it's really some kind of tribute.
To each his own. Yes. We did borrow inspirations and ideas from those decks but as you will see in the coming weeks that we are distinct in our own way.

Secondly, I did in fact mention about paying tribute in my first post. But hey Don, you were the first one to ever mention about that misspelling(other than my other friend who's into gaming). You must be an avid gamer of sorts yourself. Or maybe you read a lot.  :)

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 09:47:44 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Secondly, I did in fact mention about paying tribute in my first post. But hey Don, you were the first one to ever mention about that misspelling(other than my other friend who's into gaming). You must be an avid gamer of sorts yourself. Or maybe you read a lot.  :)

When I mentioned being more vocal about it, I was referring more to the eventual campaign to sell the deck.  Make it something that's explained a bit more in-depth and with the story of your deck instead of the brief half-sentence you posted here.

I do read a lot.  I rarely game, except on my cellphone.  Manticores in literature preceded "gaming" as it's known today by quite a few years...  :))

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 12:11:30 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Here is a picture of the updated Queen of Clubs and where we got inspiration from. Hope you guys like it

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 02:16:33 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Presenting to you guys Mantecore's Joker

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2015, 12:02:18 PM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Guys we have a launch date

15 June 2015

Mark your calendars

Here are a few photos, of prototypes of Mantecore by myself and a few friends around the world.

EDIT: there will be an early bird special. I'll update the launch time soon, when I have confirmed it :)

Cheers
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 01:03:29 AM by Siegismyname »

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 12:19:38 PM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Since I have shared them on the other forum. It would also make sense to share them here. We would love to hear what you guys think.

Presenting to your the court cards.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 12:20:40 PM by Siegismyname »

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 05:59:22 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

We would love to hear what you guys think.

I think the logo with the M is too close in appearance to the Multimiller logo that Lance Miller uses on his decks...

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 01:16:22 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
I just googled it as i forgot how it looks like. There are only a few ways to write the letter "M"

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2015, 03:05:38 AM »

Leif

• Elite Member
Maybe make the M look like it's got fangs, to tie in with the tiger theme.

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2015, 12:38:40 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I just googled it as i forgot how it looks like. There are only a few ways to write the letter "M"

This is true - but when combined with a symbol or drawn as a symbol, it can become a trademark, no different that the McDonald's "golden arches."  I'd suggest checking with an IP attorney if you plan to keep that logo unaltered.  I've seen cases both on and off Kickstarter where projects got derailed (or became a LOT more expensive) because of the use of a logo too similar to another's.  Just ask the Nevada Broadcasting Company - in the 1980s, when the National Broadcasting Corporation (more commonly known now as NBC, a division of General Electric) changed their logo to a stylized "N" in blue and red, they sued NBC and settled for a large sum, having had a previous logo in the same design in brown and black that pre-existed that of the larger company.

Companies that would ordinarily not fuss over copyright issues will make a stink over trademarks - trademark protection only applies if the owner doesn't permit excess "dilution" by allowing variants to exist and propagate, even within the company itself.  It's why USPC no longer allows alterations of some of their classic art, including the Bicycle Rider Back, Joker and Ace of Spades.

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2015, 10:26:41 PM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music

This is true - but when combined with a symbol or drawn as a symbol, it can become a trademark, no different that the McDonald's "golden arches."  I'd suggest checking with an IP attorney if you plan to keep that logo unaltered.  I've seen cases both on and off Kickstarter where projects got derailed (or became a LOT more expensive) because of the use of a logo too similar to another's.  Just ask the Nevada Broadcasting Company - in the 1980s, when the National Broadcasting Corporation (more commonly known now as NBC, a division of General Electric) changed their logo to a stylized "N" in blue and red, they sued NBC and settled for a large sum, having had a previous logo in the same design in brown and black that pre-existed that of the larger company.

Companies that would ordinarily not fuss over copyright issues will make a stink over trademarks - trademark protection only applies if the owner doesn't permit excess "dilution" by allowing variants to exist and propagate, even within the company itself.  It's why USPC no longer allows alterations of some of their classic art, including the Bicycle Rider Back, Joker and Ace of Spades.
That's a valid point. Thanks for bringing that up Don.

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2015, 04:06:15 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Hey guys, I am hosting a small little contest over at my instagram @siegismyname to promote Mantecore. Its not much but your help is appreciated. :)

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2015, 08:56:37 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Hey guys, we are on the last leg of preparations for Mantecore, which would launch on 15 June 15, and would need your help to spread the word. I am hosting a contest over at my Instagram page https://instagram.com/p/3qqKokOne6/ where you could win 1 of 4 decks. Thank you for taking the time to read.

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2015, 09:07:10 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I still say it very closely resembles the Multimiller logo...

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2015, 07:43:30 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
I still say it very closely resembles the Multimiller logo...
They do share some resemblance, but I still stand by our design being different.

A gentle reminder that the project will go live about 24 hours from now at http://igg.me/at/mantecore. Thank you all for all the comments and love so far.

Also, be there early for the early bird specials :)

Cheers
Ben

Mantecore Playing Cards LIVE on IndieGoGo
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2015, 09:16:57 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Mantecore is LIVE!!.Head over to http://igg.me/at/mantecore for more details. :)

Re: Mantecore Playing Cards LIVE on IndieGoGo
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2015, 10:03:08 PM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Hey guys,

I just confirmed that you can use credit card when you checkout at indiegogo. Just select the credit card option instead of paypal and you are good to go. Thank you all that have pledged so far. Early bird perks are running real low. So hurry

Cheers
Ben

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2015, 11:38:52 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hey guys,

I just confirmed that you can use credit card when you checkout at indiegogo. Just select the credit card option instead of paypal and you are good to go. Thank you all that have pledged so far. Early bird perks are running real low. So hurry

Cheers
Ben

One caveat: Indiegogo charges you IMMEDIATELY, and not when the campaign succeeds.  Presumably, if it's not flexible funding and fails, you get a refund, but you're out the cash/credit the moment you complete the pledge.  I had to deal with this before.  IGG also doesn't allow campaigns to be canceled - they have to play out the entire time, even if there's no chance of success, even if the creator no longer wants to follow through on the project.  If "Manticore" was "canceled" tomorrow, you'd still have to wait for the project's term date to get the debit/charge reversed.

It's one of the key reasons why I so strongly dislike Indiegogo.

« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2015, 01:12:05 AM »

Cardfool

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
I too hate Indiegogo  >:(and though it sucks that my funds are immediately tied up, I like this deck enough that I am willing to back it, though for less of an amount than on KS due to the immediately tying up of funds.

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2015, 02:10:30 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
I too hate Indiegogo  >:(and though it sucks that my funds are immediately tied up, I like this deck enough that I am willing to back it, though for less of an amount than on KS due to the immediately tying up of funds.
Thank you so much for pledging no matter how much :)
Hey guys,

Cheers
Ben

One caveat: Indiegogo charges you IMMEDIATELY, and not when the campaign succeeds.  Presumably, if it's not flexible funding and fails, you get a refund, but you're out the cash/credit the moment you complete the pledge.  I had to deal with this before.  IGG also doesn't allow campaigns to be canceled - they have to play out the entire time, even if there's no chance of success, even if the creator no longer wants to follow through on the project.  If "Manticore" was "canceled" tomorrow, you'd still have to wait for the project's term date to get the debit/charge reversed.

It's one of the key reasons why I so strongly dislike Indiegogo.
Thank you all for your feedback. But trust me when I said we tried very hard to get it running on Kickstarter.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 02:10:59 AM by Siegismyname »

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2015, 02:52:21 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

Me too, just spend my money on iMac.. anyway I backed 1 deck for now.. Good Luck
Back for more

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2015, 03:46:48 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
For those who have concerns about IndieGoGo. This project is fixed funding. That means all or nothing. So if the project doesn't fully fund. You will get your money back :D ....................eventually!  >:(

This is one of those decks when figuring cost per deck, considering shipping. It makes sense to get at least 2.
1 deck is $10 + $7 US shipping = $17 per deck
2 decks are $19 + $8 US shipping = $13.50 per deck
6 decks are $51 + $15 US shipping = $11 per deck
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2015, 06:56:03 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
For those who have concerns about IndieGoGo. This project is fixed funding. That means all or nothing. So if the project doesn't fully fund. You will get your money back :D ....................eventually!  >:(

This is one of those decks when figuring cost per deck, considering shipping. It makes sense to get at least 2.
1 deck is $10 + $7 US shipping = $17 per deck
2 decks are $19 + $8 US shipping = $13.50 per deck
6 decks are $51 + $15 US shipping = $11 per deck
Thank you for the breakdown Rob. $11 per deck is pretty decent right? And it gets cheap when one buys more. Which makes sense right? Anyway have anyone of you guys checked out our trailer on the page?

Me too, just spend my money on iMac.. anyway I backed 1 deck for now.. Good Luck

Thanks man. It really means a lot to us.

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2015, 09:14:48 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Thank you all for your feedback. But trust me when I said we tried very hard to get it running on Kickstarter.

What, exactly, prevented you from using KS?  Geographic location?

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2015, 09:50:29 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music

Yes. I am from Singapore and Edo is from Indonesia. Thus we are not able to start a campaign.

Why didn't you work with some company from the U.S.? You may ask. That is because we might not have full creative control over the deck and we might need to split what we have with the company as well. Kickstarter also doesn't allow us to raise funds for charity.

I tried tying up with a few friends but could not due to insufficient time.

We felt that using fixed funding on indiegogo would serve to be close to what kickstarter has to offer. But we would lose a lot of online traffic. Which I why I have been actively ending the community from a while back. Hoping you good people could help spread the word and our cause.

That's about it. Hope it clears things up.

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2015, 10:11:49 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Yes. I am from Singapore and Edo is from Indonesia. Thus we are not able to start a campaign.

Why didn't you work with some company from the U.S.? You may ask. That is because we might not have full creative control over the deck and we might need to split what we have with the company as well. Kickstarter also doesn't allow us to raise funds for charity.

We felt that using fixed funding on indiegogo would serve to be close to what kickstarter has to offer. But we would lose a lot of online traffic. Which I why I have been actively ending the community from a while back. Hoping you good people could help spread the word and our cause.

It does.  I figured geography was the issue.  I've seen it happen before - I'm actually working with an artist right now with similar issues of geography, but I'm also aiding with steering the design to some degree as well as planning to launch the Kickstarter for it.  I hope to offer it soon.  I helped the same artist sell one of his designs earlier this year for a respectable sum, too!

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2015, 10:21:02 PM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music

It does.  I figured geography was the issue.  I've seen it happen before - I'm actually working with an artist right now with similar issues of geography, but I'm also aiding with steering the design to some degree as well as planning to launch the Kickstarter for it.  I hope to offer it soon.  I helped the same artist sell one of his designs earlier this year for a respectable sum, too!
That's awesome Don. Hope to see your pledge ;)

Anyway, I just wanted to drop by to let you guys know Edo and myself are holding a contest via Instagram. Ask us any questions and if we answer your questions via video after the weekends, you will score a free mantecore deck. It's that simple. You need to pay for shipping though. It's a killer. But it will be free if you have already pledged at least one deck with us. Cheers. Have a great weekend. head over to our instagram @siegismyname or @edohuang for more details.

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2015, 02:35:50 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Hey guys, we are already at 51% in just 7 days. We will need all your help , no matter how small, to hit our goal. thank you all in advance. http://Http://igg.me/at/mantecore if you need the link. The tigers in the world will appreciate your help. ;)

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2015, 03:51:59 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
How do I change my pledge? I wanted to add a deck but I am not sure how I can add this without paying double shipping...
Back for more

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2015, 05:44:14 AM »

Cardfool

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
If you go to your account tab and click on My Contributions, you should see the projects that you have backed and for how much...there should be an option for Mantecore to upgrade your pledge, so you should be able to add a deck without incurring double shipping.

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2015, 12:09:52 PM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
How do I change my pledge? I wanted to add a deck but I am not sure how I can add this without paying double shipping...
Exactly what Cardfool said. Just add another deck that way plus additional shipping equivalent to the amount of decks pledged. That should do the trick. If you did not pledge using an Indiegogo account and are not able to upgrade. You could always select the one deck perk (or however more you want to add) and add just that few dollars difference of shipping from your previous pledge under the additional gifts and email me the details after you have done so. I will take care of the rest.
If you go to your account tab and click on My Contributions, you should see the projects that you have backed and for how much...there should be an option for Mantecore to upgrade your pledge, so you should be able to add a deck without incurring double shipping.
Thanks man.

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2015, 09:25:52 PM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Hey Everyone,

We just past the 4k mark and are giving away 1 of 6 of the prototype deck as a way of saying thanks. Every deck pledged from now till the end of the week, will get double the chance. All decks pledged before will get one chance each. So if you have been putting that thought of pledging on hold, this week might be a good time to do so. The draw will be done using random.org this coming Sunday.

We also released a Q&A talking about Mantecore and some other stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-ggR0UgOwo

igg.me/at/mantecore

Cheers
Ben

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2015, 11:30:05 PM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Hey guys,

I just wanna update that we are 20% to our goal with 3 days left. SO CLOSE!! http://igg.me/at/mantecore

There is great news for all backers and people who are about to pledge. The prices of pledges will still be the same but, every deck pledged will get you one of over 200, 1024px by 1024px digital artwork by Adrian Valenzuela which he is selling for $5 each. The more you pledge the more you get. You can check out his artwork on AV's Instagram. Here is a sample of his artwork. This will all only happen if we reach our goal of USD 7,000. Attached is a sample of his artwork.

Continue to spread the word and we should be there in no time.

Also, we recently got featured in a blog post in World of Playing Cards. http://www.wopc.co.uk/blog/mantecore-playing-cards

Cheers
Ben

« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2015, 07:18:38 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Hey guys. We are FULLY FUNDED. Mantecore Playing Cards is officially going to be a thing. Thank you if you have pledged. If you haven't and wanna help us out a little more and maybe hit our stretch goal, out campaign is still up for another 20 hours. After this campaign, the decks will not be sold at this price. So do grab one or more or an uncut sheet if you are interested. Here is the link. http://igg.me/at/Mantecore
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 07:19:34 AM by Siegismyname »

« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2015, 07:51:43 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Hey guys. We are FULLY FUNDED. Mantecore Playing Cards is officially going to be a thing. Thank you if you have pledged. If you haven't and wanna help us out a little more and maybe hit our stretch goal, out campaign is still up for another 20 hours. After this campaign, the decks will not be sold at this price. So do grab one or more or an uncut sheet if you are interested. Here is the link. http://igg.me/at/Mantecore

Congrats to you and Edo for reaching the funding goal  :D
Back for more

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2015, 03:13:38 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music

Congrats to you and Edo for reaching the funding goal  :D
Thank you for your pledge as well.

We are now InDemand on the Indiegogo site. But not for long. So grab them while you still can.

« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2015, 01:39:20 PM »

Cardfool

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
   :D Yes, congrats on the funding!  I am very much looking forward to my decks! :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 01:40:19 PM by Cardfool »

Re: FUNDED Mantecore Playing Cards LIVE on IndieGoGo
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2015, 10:10:28 PM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Thanks! I can't wait for the decks to be printed as well.

« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2015, 01:00:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

We are now InDemand on the Indiegogo site. But not for long. So grab them while you still can.

What, exactly, is "InDemand?"  Sounds like TV pay-per-view...

Re: FUNDED *InDemand* Mantecore Playing Cards LIVE on IndieGoGo
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2015, 06:59:54 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Hey Don,

Basically we are now still accepting any contributions made to our project. This only happens if and when out project meets our goal, which we did. This allows us to give anyone who wants to get them at the backer price another few more weeks and it allows us to raise more funds for Panthera, the organization that we would be donating to. After this the campaign will officially be over and the only way to get them is via retailers.

Thanks for asking so that we could clear that up

Cheers
Ben

« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2015, 11:11:40 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hey Don,

Basically we are now still accepting any contributions made to our project. This only happens if and when out project meets our goal, which we did. This allows us to give anyone who wants to get them at the backer price another few more weeks and it allows us to raise more funds for Panthera, the organization that we would be donating to. After this the campaign will officially be over and the only way to get them is via retailers.

Thanks for asking so that we could clear that up

Cheers
Ben

As much as I dislike IndieGoGo, that is preferable to them charging you immediately for a project that may or may not hit its goal in a month down the road.  Most people at Kickstarter do that - but through BackerKit rather than directly through KS.  I've always wondered why KS doesn't offer the same services, or simply buy out BackerKit in much the same way that eBay bought out PayPal because it became so integral to the company's business.

« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2015, 11:24:59 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Hey guys, it's me again. We have been working really hard back end to get the printed ASAP. We are glad to announce that this deck will come in 1 colour but 2 finishes, diamond and emerald from LPCC. This allows you to better choose the finish that suits your needs. By default, you will receive the diamond finish deck as promised on the campaign page (http://igg.me/at/mantecore/x/5105034). But of you would prefer the emerald finish ones, just drop me an email and I will take care of the rest.

For those that are unaware, the Mantecore campaign is still available for pledging. The InDemand phase of the campaign will officially end at the end of the month. After that, the price of the decks will be at least $12 at retailers. So do grab a couple at the campaign price if you're interested. Here is the link once again http://igg.me/at/mantecore/x/5105034

Cheers
Ben

« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2015, 10:50:52 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Hey guys! Since all the backers decks have been shipped, I just wanted to check in if any of you have received your decks and what you think of them.

Ben

« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2015, 01:30:39 PM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
Are these going to be available for purchase anywhere? I didn't want to sign up for Indie GoGo just for this campaign and therefore missed it.

« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2015, 04:38:28 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Are these going to be available for purchase anywhere? I didn't want to sign up for Indie GoGo just for this campaign and therefore missed it.

If you create an IndieGoGo account without backing anything, you can send the creator a message.  That would be the fastest route to getting your answer, I'd think.

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2015, 04:59:31 PM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

This deck is available from Cardvolution.com since they co-produce this deck.

1 thing I noticed about the emerald finish that I received last week. After playing with it for a while doing riffle shuffle, dribbling, passes and faro, I found some colour stains on my fingers and the card edges as well.

Has anyone open their diamond finish mantecore deck? I just want to know if it has the same issue.

Back for more

« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2015, 02:51:04 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

1 thing I noticed about the emerald finish that I received last week. After playing with it for a while doing riffle shuffle, dribbling, passes and faro, I found some colour stains on my fingers and the card edges as well.

Has anyone open their diamond finish mantecore deck? I just want to know if it has the same issue.

I've run into this at the hospital with a variety of decks.  If you use hand sanitizer, make sure your hands are completely dry before handling the cards.  Better to wash and dry your hands, especially with collectibles.

« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2015, 06:09:08 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

I've run into this at the hospital with a variety of decks.  If you use hand sanitizer, make sure your hands are completely dry before handling the cards.  Better to wash and dry your hands, especially with collectibles.

oh I had experience this twice, once with the Serpentine deck and the second with Mantecore...
I don't normally wash my hand before use and even when I do, I always completely dry my hand.

That is the reason why I think only the emerald finish had this issue.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 06:09:49 AM by HankMan »
Back for more

« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2015, 11:32:27 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

oh I had experience this twice, once with the Serpentine deck and the second with Mantecore...
I don't normally wash my hand before use and even when I do, I always completely dry my hand.

The only possible cause I can think of that makes sense is that somehow you transferred moisture from your hands to the cards.  It's not like the ink isn't dry when you get them.  If you look at the card edges, have they warped at all or do they have any odd black stains?  I kept wondering where the black stains on the edges were coming from on a lot of my decks, even tried to remove/erase them, until I accidentally got a deck wet and saw the edge turn black - it's exposed graphite from the card's glue layer.  When they get a little wet, it shows up like a sore thumb, especially on USPC's stock.

« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2015, 03:17:17 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Hey guys. I haven't gotten my Emerald finish deck so u cannot tell you for sure. I did have that problem with the serpentines though but did not have any problems with the Diamond deck. This might be because they are from 2 different printers.

They are indeed available via cardvolution.com for preorder at a special price that will only last for another week before reverting to the MSRP of USD12/SGD17.

I will feedback this to Legends and see what they say. Thank you for your awesome feedback. I do agree with Don about USPC decks turning black on the sides ones they come in contact with moisture.

EDIT: They will also be available via Penguin very soon.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 01:18:17 AM by Siegismyname »

« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2015, 04:59:06 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

The only possible cause I can think of that makes sense is that somehow you transferred moisture from your hands to the cards.  It's not like the ink isn't dry when you get them.  If you look at the card edges, have they warped at all or do they have any odd black stains?  I kept wondering where the black stains on the edges were coming from on a lot of my decks, even tried to remove/erase them, until I accidentally got a deck wet and saw the edge turn black - it's exposed graphite from the card's glue layer.  When they get a little wet, it shows up like a sore thumb, especially on USPC's stock.

I don't think that was the case, the card didn't warped at all. If you look at the first photo this is a comparison between Mantecore and Bicycle deck, from here you can see the colour difference. You might not see much difference on the photo but from what I can see the Mantecore deck edges had turned pinkish I am assuming this is the colour transfer after use.

On the second photo, you should be able to see a slight pinkish colour on the first phalanx of my index finger. I started to notice that when I did a couple dribbles and classic passes.

and the last photo look at the warped card on the top of the deck, I purposely drop that card into my fish tank and let it sink all the way to the bottom. After I picked it up from the tank I just wiped it with dry cloth. Apart from it being warped, the card doesn't expose any graphite layer or any black edges.
Hence I don't think moisture transfer from hand will exposed the graphite layer on any EPCC or LPCC deck.

Back for more

« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2015, 10:48:37 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Thank you for the feedback once again Hankman. I just pulled out my Red Serpentines and they indeed have that reddish marks on the side of the cards. I'll ask Lawrence about this.

I am amazed that you actually put a card into the fish tank.

« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2015, 04:14:47 PM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I did a comparison test a while back using LPCC diamond finish against USPCC Air Cushion finish. I put the card under running tap water for 5 seconds then dry it immediately. The test result showed that the water almost had no effect to the diamond finish, I might had rubbed off some of the coating when drying it off but the card is still very strong and didn't warped at all. The UPCC deck on the other hand, didn't hold up too well and as expected the graphite layer was visible on the edges.

Then came the fish tank, I thought lets try another comparison test between Serpentine - Emerald Finish, LUXX - Diamond Finish (both from LPCC) vs D&D Aviator Heritage - Magic Finish (USPCC).
This time I drop each cards into the fish tank and let it sink all the way to the bottom. it takes about 4 seconds (the depth is about 48 cm) and by the time I removed the cards, it should be in the water for almost 7 seconds. As I said the emerald finish did warped but that is about all, where as the diamond finish hold up very well.
Well for the Magic Finish, I don't think I have to say much. It was completely destroyed...

Anyway I didn't mean to go off the topic, I got to excited when you mention the fish tank  :P
Back for more

« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2015, 11:47:21 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I am amazed that you actually put a card into the fish tank.

Anyway I didn't mean to go off the topic, I got to excited when you mention the fish tank  :P

I'm not surprised at this.  LPCC and EPCC, to the best of my knowledge, only use European-made stocks, similar to the stock used by Fournier to make their Lee Asher Signature 605s.  It's a well-known fact that 605s can be dunked into a glass of water and cleaned off by daubing with no ill effects to the paper.  One would never dream of attempting this with a USPC deck and expect it to survive the process, unless it was made of plastic or made at Fournier's plant.

« Reply #66 on: February 29, 2016, 10:16:18 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Hey guys. Just realized I didn't follow up on this. Lawrence from Legends did confirm that certain reds do come off the backs or front of the cards and stain the sides.

Also. Now that all backers should have received their pledge and the decks been sold on major dealers, what do you guys think about the deck(if you have one). What did you like or think could be improved on.

Ben

« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2016, 05:29:38 PM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
  • "Simul iustus et peccator"
nobody goes to the contest thread - so I am posting this here (sorry admins) I am giving away a free deck of Mantecore cards in this month contest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kdk4uhOgSc
More Magic and Deck Reviews https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy

« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2016, 05:40:35 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
nobody goes to the contest thread - so I am posting this here (sorry admins) I am giving away a free deck of Mantecore cards in this month contest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kdk4uhOgSc

Thanks!! I am in!
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2016, 03:43:31 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I don't mind posting about it in the deck's topic as well, since it is this deck that's the prize.  The contest topic is really just "one-stop shopping" for people to read about contests; I'm not opposed to posting about it elsewhere as appropriate.