Unsung Magicians
« on: November 23, 2013, 08:37:21 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
So I grew up in the 70's and the 1st magician I can remember was Marshall Brodien because he was always selling his magic kits and cards on WGN, he was also Wizzo on the Bozo show....ye I know this is completely foreign to many of you, lol. In my early teens there was Doug Henning & Harry Blackstone Jr. there weren't many "Mainstream" magicians I can remember. It seems as time went by that scarcity didn't change much, the only magicians I can remember were David Copperfield, Sigfried & Roy, The Amazing Randi and The Amazing Jonathan for some odd reason. I also remember, and correct me if I'm wrong, Harry Anderson used to perform a comedic magic routine for a while in the 80's.

Moving into the last few decades the only magicians I would put in that category would be Pen & Teller, David Blaine and Chris Angel and unfortunately that hooded magician from "Magic Revealed". It seems, from an outsider looking in perspective, that magic is a lost art, but one of the pleasant surprises I found when I stumbled into collecting playing cards is that it actually seems like there is a pretty healthy community of magic and magicians...they just don't all have TV specials and shows in Vegas.

So what I was wondering from magicians on the board as well as everyone else, who are the unsung Magicians, who are your favorites. Whether it be a specific effect or just an all around fantastic illusionist.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 08:39:04 AM by Sparkz »

Re: Unsung Magicians
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 10:41:18 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Brodien's "TV Magic Cards" were a national seller - I bought a pack or two over the years.  It was just a Svengali deck with a new name, but he made them look cool!

When I talk magic to people who don't know magic, I often refer to Dai Vernon as "the greatest magician you've never heard of."  I don't know as much about him as I'd like, but I do know that he was a credit to the craft.  As I've heard it, he almost never actually performed formally, preferring to instead develop new magic and pass it on to other magicians; it's how he earned the moniker "The Professor".  There was a bit of hardship in his life as well, especially towards the end, but I don't yet know enough of the details.

When you're talking about "unsung", I think you're referring more to magicians who aren't getting the attention of modern mass media, television in particular.  There are countless magicians out there who will never be a household name - and I have news for you: you would not believe for a moment the number of people I've spoken to who have never heard of David Blaine or at the least don't know him by name, only by reputation for the human endurance feats he's performed (and they probably know that only because they live in the city where most of them were performed)!

Countless magicians are out there all the time, performing on stages and at private functions, getting round after round of applause - only very few get to become the "rock star" magicians, in much the same way that there are thousands upon thousands of singers, but only a handful have the recording contracts with national distribution, the stadium tours and a spot on the Billboard charts.

I could call someone like Magick Balay or Alex Pandrea or any of the countless other magicians in the New York area "unsung" - but they're out there, hustling, doing side jobs and making a living in their field and doing what they love.  If I could make a good buck doing it, I'd probably be out there with them right now (assuming I had more experience under my belt) - but I wouldn't be rushing to quit my primary job, since it probably pays more than what a lot of working magicians make on a regular basis.  It's the same reason why I hold an FCC license but have no grand desire to become a radio deejay - jobs are harder to find than a fresh jack-o-lantern on Thanksgiving and I make more than perhaps 90% of all radio deejays right now, if you count my benefits.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 10:41:50 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 03:18:54 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Dai Vernon is a credit to the magic world. I studied some of his work and he's such a genius. I dislike the fact that people have never heard of him, I especially hate when some people watch tricks and think it's something the performer came up with. They have no idea the history behind the trick and who came up with concepts. It's partially the performers fault though, as I believe credit should always be given to the original or at least to whoever they learnt it from.
Anyway, back on topic, I think John Scarne is one of the best card manipulators that ever graced the magic world. His scarne's aces is absolutely flawless. Another is Harry Lorayne whos halo aces I perform to this day :)
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 12:33:57 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Dai Vernon is a credit to the magic world. I studied some of his work and he's such a genius. I dislike the fact that people have never heard of him, I especially hate when some people watch tricks and think it's something the performer came up with. They have no idea the history behind the trick and who came up with concepts. It's partially the performers fault though, as I believe credit should always be given to the original or at least to whoever they learnt it from.
Anyway, back on topic, I think John Scarne is one of the best card manipulators that ever graced the magic world. His scarne's aces is absolutely flawless. Another is Harry Lorayne whos halo aces I perform to this day :)

Dai Vernon is indeed one of the greatest. It seems like he's more prominent among sleight of hand enthusiasts rather than magicians.

This video has two of my all time favorite magicians. Blackstone Sr. and Cardini.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J__QN5XTTv8

Blackstone was actually the one who got me interested in vintage magic. I still have an old book my dad gave me on Blackstone's tricks and biography. I'm shocked his name isn't up there with Houdini and Harry Kellar.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 06:55:36 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Blackstone was actually the one who got me interested in vintage magic. I still have an old book my dad gave me on Blackstone's tricks and biography. I'm shocked his name isn't up there with Houdini and Harry Kellar.

That would largely depend on who you ask!  He's not a household name today, but he's certainly a respected magician; Sr. and Jr. both are.

I think Mark WIlson is a little forgotten these days.  I didn't realize this at the time, but when I was watching his TV show on Saturday mornings before the cartoons, he was actually performing live, not pre-recorded, most of the time!  The only time it was pre-recorded was when you were seeing a rerun!  Now that takes some dedication.  Check out the Wikipedia article on him, it's pretty cool.

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 10:14:39 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Thanks for the participation all, I have been looking up all of these amazing people as you all post them. Very much appreciated. Getting a good grasp of where the art came from and how it's been carried on and by who has been a great and interesting bit of research.

Found this Harry Anderson vid, thought of it because of David Blaine's special.
http://youtu.be/czElKoDQbGQ

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 07:40:40 PM »

yoel

• Forum Regular

I agree completely!  Harry Lorayne is one of my favorite authors and performers.  Yes! Books on magic these things do still exist!! Along with Harry my all-time favorites include Frank Garcia, Slydini, Tommy Wonder, Simon Lovell and Derek Dingle.

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 10:27:52 PM »

CrankUP

• Forum Regular

• Twitter:
Ah...I'm a young gun. Growing up in this "digital age," I've had DVDs and downloads shoved in my face more than anything.

Much respect to these "older" greats Dai Vernon, Guy Hollingworth, Paul LePaul, Richard Kaufman, and Paul Harris. Oh and Erdnase too...whoever he was. I've managed to read a bit of these guys' books over the years. Amazing material...enough good stuff to practice for a lifetime.

As for the younger guys, I would say Wayne Houchin and Matthew Mello stick out to me the most. They both are very classy...and the stuff they put out aren't ridiculous angle sensitive nonsense that don't work too well in the real world (shots fired). I first learned about Matthew Mello through his mentalism effect, "Technique," where you get the spectator to write down any card on a notepad, and you "read their mind" and tell them what it is. The effect is SO CLEVER. Fell in love with his stuff ever since.
Broke for cards

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 07:38:36 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
If we talking "newer" magicians, then Danny Garcia is right at the top. He's currently a consultant for dynamos "magician impossible" series. Watch Danny garcia's penguin magic lecture, some great stuff there. He's so creative and talented
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 09:28:20 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Whether new school or old, we're looking for magicians who aren't household names - but should be.