You are Here:
100 Deck Display

Author (Read 3804 times)

100 Deck Display
« on: March 24, 2013, 07:04:26 PM »

John Spade

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
Hey guys, just thought you'd be interested to see what my dad and I have been working on over the past few weeks. It's a 100 deck display!

Here is the original prototype design we based it off of:

Re: 100 Deck Display
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 07:05:14 PM »

John Spade

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
We used his CNC machine to cut everything out. Here are the holes / spaces...

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 07:06:12 PM »

John Spade

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
...and here are all the pieces that pop in. After the CNC was done, we had to cut all of these out by hand  :P

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 07:07:24 PM »

John Spade

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
Once they were all cut out, we began popping them into the holes by hand.

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 07:08:21 PM »

John Spade

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
Glued them in place, sanded a few edges, and voila! The finished product:

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 07:15:34 PM »

John Spade

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
My collection obviously has a long way to go haha. The only things I don't like about our finished product is that it weighs a ton (especially with the added weight of 100 decks), and the spaces are pretty tight, so a few of my decks won't fit (ones like Absoluts that that seem to be slightly bigger than a regular poker sized deck). But other than that, I'm very happy with how it turned out!  :D

Let me know what you think of this!

- John

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 07:32:34 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
My collection obviously has a long way to go haha. The only things I don't like about our finished product is that it weighs a ton (especially with the added weight of 100 decks), and the spaces are pretty tight, so a few of my decks won't fit (ones like Absoluts that that seem to be slightly bigger than a regular poker sized deck). But other than that, I'm very happy with how it turned out!  :D

- John

Looks pretty impressive.  And HEAVY...  :))

CnC machines are nice.  Wish I had one, sometimes.  But no place to put it and no way to afford it.

Try it with a darker wood - I think that would look sweet, like fine furniture.

Design idea: build a short storage cabinet, only a few drawers, place two of these on top of it, leaned into each other and facing back-to-back and turned sideways.  It would make a great presentation piece, wouldn't take up wall space and would have additional storage.  You could even build the displays onto a "lazy Susan" so you can rotate them.  Even better, build the cabinet taller,  with some of the drawers built on the lazy Susan and display boards on the other three sides - rotate as you wish, and lots of storage.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 07:38:09 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 08:14:18 PM »

John Spade

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

- John

Looks pretty impressive.  And HEAVY...  :))

CnC machines are nice.  Wish I had one, sometimes.  But no place to put it and no way to afford it.

Try it with a darker wood - I think that would look sweet, like fine furniture.

Design idea: build a short storage cabinet, only a few drawers, place two of these on top of it, leaned into each other and facing back-to-back and turned sideways.  It would make a great presentation piece, wouldn't take up wall space and would have additional storage.  You could even build the displays onto a "lazy Susan" so you can rotate them.  Even better, build the cabinet taller,  with some of the drawers built on the lazy Susan and display boards on the other three sides - rotate as you wish, and lots of storage.

Love that idea Don, but as you can see I currently can't even fill up one of these, let alone 2 plus the extra space! Haha

I agree that it would have looked nicer with a darker wood or perhaps a glossy finish, but we actually made it out of a composite material (it's basically sawdust and glue) to make it as light as possible. I'd paint it, but apparently this material would absorb the coating and become warped  :P

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 08:36:33 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Love that idea Don, but as you can see I currently can't even fill up one of these, let alone 2 plus the extra space! Haha

I agree that it would have looked nicer with a darker wood or perhaps a glossy finish, but we actually made it out of a composite material (it's basically sawdust and glue) to make it as light as possible. I'd paint it, but apparently this material would absorb the coating and become warped  :P

You wouldn't want one that was painted anyway - nicer wood with a good stain would be perfect.

It can't be painted - can it be lacquered?

Actually, maybe even lacquer isn't a good idea - you cut the holders with a level of precision and adding anything like paint or lacquer would make the wood a hair thicker, possibly too thick to hold the decks at that point.

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
sick as hell :D
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 09:16:21 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
Wow a very nice display case! If only I had the ability to do this on my own. I can barely follow instructions :)) but good work! It'll look amazing when full!
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 09:47:39 PM »

John Spade

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

You wouldn't want one that was painted anyway - nicer wood with a good stain would be perfect.

It can't be painted - can it be lacquered?

Actually, maybe even lacquer isn't a good idea - you cut the holders with a level of precision and adding anything like paint or lacquer would make the wood a hair thicker, possibly too thick to hold the decks at that point.

I think any sort of liquid coating would "soak in" to a degree, whether it be paint or lacquer (still, I think it'd be pretty cool to paint it solid black and then give it a glossy coating). I had the same idea as you, that a layer of paint or whatever might make the fit too tight, but the decks have a small degree of give so I can't imagine it would be too much of an issue. Either way, I can't do it due to the soaking in...  :P

Wow a very nice display case! If only I had the ability to do this on my own. I can barely follow instructions :)) but good work! It'll look amazing when full!

Haha, thank you very much!  :) Yes, this would be pretty difficult to duplicate... do you think it would be worth it for me to figure out how to mass produce them and market them? I'd obviously need to find a lighter material, but I could even do multiple sizes (10 x 10 is pretty big, as you can see).

What do you people think, would you buy something like this? And if so, for how much?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 11:11:31 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 09:57:20 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty

Haha, thank you very much!  :) Yes, this would be pretty difficult to duplicate... do you think it would be worth it for me to figure out how to mass produce them and market them? I'd obviously need to find a lighter material, but I could even do multiple sizes (10 x 10 is pretty big, as you can see).

What do you people think, would you buy something like this? And if so, for how much?

If definitely want to buy one. But probably not a 10x10 one. I don't have a 100 decks I'd want to display if only because I wouldn't want to display the decks I regularly use or play with. I'd probably make good use of an 8x8 one though! If you were able to more cheaply mass produce a lighter case I would definitely be interested.

Would you leave it open like that or have some sort of cover? And price-wise, it would probably depend on the material and how much it costs you to make it right?
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 10:04:15 PM »

John Spade

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

If definitely want to buy one. But probably not a 10x10 one. I don't have a 100 decks I'd want to display if only because I wouldn't want to display the decks I regularly use or play with. I'd probably make good use of an 8x8 one though! If you were able to more cheaply mass produce a lighter case I would definitely be interested.

Would you leave it open like that or have some sort of cover? And price-wise, it would probably depend on the material and how much it costs you to make it right?

Mhm, I could potentially make everything fully customizable, from material, size, whether or not the customer wants some sort of cover, etc. But of course this is all theoretical at the moment... I don't know if it's possible for my dad and I to find an easier way to make these, lighter material, etc. And I don't even know if he's going to be keeping the CNC machine because we're moving soon  :( I guess we'll see what happens, but I'll definitely talk to him!

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 11:12:43 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty

Mhm, I could potentially make everything fully customizable, from material, size, whether or not the customer wants some sort of cover, etc. But of course this is all theoretical at the moment... I don't know if it's possible for my dad and I to find an easier way to make these, lighter material, etc. And I don't even know if he's going to be keeping the CNC machine because we're moving soon  :( I guess we'll see what happens, but I'll definitely talk to him!

Ah yes theoretical of course :) but keep up the idea! I'm sure there are plenty of people here that wouldn't mind a display case or two just to show off part or all of their collection. I know I rather display my decks than have them sit in ammo cases :)) look forward to seeing or hearing more if this actually becomes a reality one day!

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 11:29:46 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Mike over at Brooke Michael's Poker World has displays somewhat like this in acrylic for $150 (clear) and $160 (black), capacity of 60 decks.

You could make these as an "on-demand" sort of thing.  Yours is the proof of concept that the design itself is sound.  Acrylic would lighten the load a bit, I think.  You could also make the back less thick on the whole surface - create sort of a framework on the wood and carve out a fair amount of the rest to lighten the load while retaining a good deal of structural integrity.  It's similar to the concept of a fold-open knife with a skeletal handle; weighs less but still strong.  You also, as mentioned, have the option of using finer woods and even making these things more like furniture.

Another furniture concept - mount four panels in a box or rectangle shape on a Lazy Susan base, and make one of the panels mounted on hinges (either as one whole side swings to the left or right, or as two halves that swing open like kitchen cabinets).  Inside, you could have drawers, shelves, whatever you wanted.

They need not be huge pieces of furniture with 100-capacity sides to them, either.  You can make the sides as large or as small as your client desires.  I feel that a furniture option is a good way to go because even a wealthy person only has so much useable wall space!

But yes, there's probably a market for this, particularly if you can keep the price reasonable.

Another idea: glass doors to cover the display.  You can go with inexpensive cabinet-grade glass or for the precious deck collector you can go museum grade with UV filtering.

There's a lot of things you can do with the concept, as you can plainly see...  :))

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 12:35:52 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
Is the price that BMPW sells the display cases for them a reasonable price for something like that? And I think acrylic is a nice look but those were a bit pricy for means that's why I was considering other options. I don't feel like I absolutely need a cover but it would be cool.

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 01:17:44 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Is the price that BMPW sells the display cases for them a reasonable price for something like that? And I think acrylic is a nice look but those were a bit pricy for means that's why I was considering other options. I don't feel like I absolutely need a cover but it would be cool.

When BMPW introduced the displays, many felt they were too costly.  I have no idea what the sales numbers are on them, so your guess is as good as mine.

All the things I mentioned were simply ideas, were John Spade to expand this proof-of-concept to an actual retail product, either ready-made or custom-ordered.

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 01:36:31 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty

When BMPW introduced the displays, many felt they were too costly.  I have no idea what the sales numbers are on them, so your guess is as good as mine.

All the things I mentioned were simply ideas, were John Spade to expand this proof-of-concept to an actual retail product, either ready-made or custom-ordered.

Ah phew okay good thing I'm not alone in thinking they were out of my reach financially. And if John does choose to expand his idea and personal project into an actual sellable product, I'd be very interested.

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 02:28:53 PM »

Joshua Robinson

• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
Loving it at the moment John! Keep up the great work with this and your collection! Will you end up painting this or leaving it the way it is?
I am now a Business Representative for www.shuffleanddeal.com.au

Youtube channel for Shuffle and Deal: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuffleAndDealAus?feature=mhee

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 03:14:04 PM »

John Spade

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
Loving it at the moment John! Keep up the great work with this and your collection! Will you end up painting this or leaving it the way it is?

Unfortunately I can't put any sort of coating on it because the material would absorb it. For now we're just going to have to leave it as it is.

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 05:23:13 PM »

Zaid

• True Member
How about making the thing modular? Make something that holds 10 decks, and then these 10-deck displays can be snapped or otherwise connected together and the whole display grows as the collection grows. I would be happy to help you design something like that. Or you can just do it yourself, but can I get a 10% commission on all your sales if you do use the idea?  ;)

And you don't need to keep your CNC machine. There are plenty of rapid prototyping shops out there that you can outsource your design to. Since you have already made a prototype with CNC, I'm assuming that you have a 3D model already. Once you have that, you can do anything with it.

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 06:12:20 PM »

John Spade

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
How about making the thing modular? Make something that holds 10 decks, and then these 10-deck displays can be snapped or otherwise connected together and the whole display grows as the collection grows. I would be happy to help you design something like that. Or you can just do it yourself, but can I get a 10% commission on all your sales if you do use the idea?  ;)

And you don't need to keep your CNC machine. There are plenty of rapid prototyping shops out there that you can outsource your design to. Since you have already made a prototype with CNC, I'm assuming that you have a 3D model already. Once you have that, you can do anything with it.

Haha, hate to break it to ya Zaid, but we've already had that same idea! I've got a design in the works that uses 1-deck units that can be snapped together to make a display with the dimensions and shape you choose, but now we just need to see if it will be possible to build it for a decent price  ;) (I'm telling you this because if it ends up working out, I don't want you to think I'm ripping off your idea!)

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 06:20:29 PM »

Zaid

• True Member
Heh heh, no problem! Having the thing be modular in 1-deck units is a great idea. And it looks like you've already thought of the other idea I had, which is to have the thing be connectable on all four sides, that way people can construct a deck display in any shape they want, be it square or rectangular, or round or triangular or whatever.

As for getting the product made for a decent price, injection molding is the way to go. Once you get past the tooling costs, which aren't much at all, you can crank these out for very cheap. Create a 3D model of the thing, have a few of them rapid prototyped in ABS plastic, test them out for connectivity and fit, then you can commit to getting the injection molds made. Here are some links to shops that can do the prototyping and injection molding for you:

www.approto.com

www.protomold.com

www.quickparts.com

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 06:36:15 PM »

John Spade

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
Heh heh, no problem! Having the thing be modular in 1-deck units is a great idea. And it looks like you've already thought of the other idea I had, which is to have the thing be connectable on all four sides, that way people can construct a deck display in any shape they want, be it square or rectangular, or round or triangular or whatever.

As for getting the product made for a decent price, injection molding is the way to go. Once you get past the tooling costs, which aren't much at all, you can crank these out for very cheap. Create a 3D model of the thing, have a few of them rapid prototyped in ABS plastic, test them out for connectivity and fit, then you can commit to getting the injection molds made. Here are some links to shops that can do the prototyping and injection molding for you:

www.approto.com

www.protomold.com

www.quickparts.com

You must be reading our minds sir, because we also had the idea to use injection molding! I've got several other ideas for variations on building the card display(s) as well different production methods, but I guess we'll see how things go. Anyways, thanks for the links!