You are Here:

Poll

How far do you want to go in the Way-Back Machine?

Bicycle Series 1800 by Ellusionist
6 (46.2%)
U.S. Regulation "Vintage Plaid" by Dan and Dave
7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Battle 15: Bicycle 1800 Series vs. Vintage Plaid (U.S. Regulation)

Author (Read 1760 times)

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Memories...  ye olde tymes...  these competitors hearken back to an earlier time - one much earlier than the other!

Bicycle Series 1800 by Ellusionist, sometimes nicknamed "Vintage 1800" because of their appearance, are another of the handful of Bicycle Rider Back decks E did during their earlier years - they stopped with Arcane and haven't looked back!  It's a straight-up reproduction, but with an ancient, weathered look, as if someone left them in the basement of the saloon for the past hundred years and the archaeologists just uncovered them before declaring the place a historic landmark.  The original issue were, well - they had a sweet, somewhat hidden one-way design built into that pattern of dirt and grime on the card backs, but they also handled like Play-Doh.  The new ones are slicker than grease, thanks to Performance Coating, but the one-way grime pattern is no more - E switched it up a bit so now they're still not symmetrical, but they're not all completely identical, either, with the pattern being semi-random.  The box design also has that "lived-in" look to it, complete with torn corner, the faces are USPC-standard, slightly darker and cracked, with the gritty-dirt background we all know and love.  The Ace of Spades is the standard (but aged) modern Bicycle model, with two identical black-and-dinge "King-on-a-bike" jokers, and the backs come in red or blue.

Vintage Plaid by Dan and Dave, sometimes called "U.S. Regulation Playing Cards" because that's what it says on the box (the name "Vintage Plaid" appears nowhere in the deck), have an altogether different vibe to them.  To me, they evoke a classic style from the "one-pack" tax-stamp days (1940-1965).  Reproducing the Bicycle Plaid Backs, these backs come in Arizona red (in the green box) and California blue (in the cream box) and are a simple cross-hatch pattern which vaguely reminds me of the Bee Diamond Back.  The aging effect on this deck is achieved through the use of washed-out colors on a pale-green background to make them look like you found them in grandpa's drawer at the cabin by the lake, and it's all topped off with a cambric finish.  They have one of the plainest Ace of Spades ever made, a pair of "buck" jokers, one of which has a card reveal between the antlers, and the extra cards are rather unique - one has a search word puzzle while the other has a recipe for an old cocktail known as the Sazerac.  For some reason, the Arizona red reminds me of being out camping in the woods while the California blue makes me think of hanging out by the ocean shore.

So, go ahead, reel in those years, and let us know your favorite!

Voters who comment on their choice are entered in a random drawing for forum swag - see this topic for the rules.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: Battle 15: Bicycle 1800 Series vs. Vintage Plaid (U.S. Regulation)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 12:04:14 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
1800s, I love how they stick to the riderback design and add age. They always perform great for me and people love the look. As far as vintage plaid, I like the faces but the back hurts my eyes if I use it a lot. SO 1800s FTW
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 07:42:02 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Vintage Plaid.
The back was awesome. Sort of like a cool, vintage play on the Bee diamond back. The jokers were sweet, and the court card recolors just fit in so nicely with the overall theme. The ace of spades was the very definition of minimal, and it worked. There was no need for a flashy, intricate ace. Sweet box, too. The fanning was buttery smooth, the faro was nice, looked great in fans, and they handled fantastic as a whole.

The 1800s? Yeah, they looked cool. An awesome gaff deck and cool customization to boot. But... they didn't handle well at all. They clumped, chipped, and were hard to faro.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 07:52:51 PM »

Joshua Robinson

• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
If you are classy. You will know it's the regulations all the way! Plaid and the cream colour of the cards make for a classy, 5 star hotel theme.
I am now a Business Representative for www.shuffleanddeal.com.au

Youtube channel for Shuffle and Deal: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuffleAndDealAus?feature=mhee

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 09:07:44 PM »

Fanofyankees13

• "YEAH BITCH, MAGNETS!"
  • Discourse Lover
  • U W0T M8

• Facebook:
Plaid. Loved the design and the awesome smooth finish. 1800s were never my cup of tea....didn't like the design at all.
“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 09:49:33 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The 1800s? Yeah, they looked cool. An awesome gaff deck and cool customization to boot. But... they didn't handle well at all. They clumped, chipped, and were hard to faro.

You obviously haven't seen the current model with Performance Coating...  Slicker than grease, smoother than a baby's ass, faro shuffles like a zipper.

I'm a little torn on this - having trouble deciding.

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 11:45:27 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

You obviously haven't seen the current model with Performance Coating...  Slicker than grease, smoother than a baby's ass, faro shuffles like a zipper.

I'm a little torn on this - having trouble deciding.

Oooooh, really? Thanks for the tip off! I bought the blue version about six months ago. That deck kinda turned me off from buying another.
Even so, I like the Plaid's design much better. So classy.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 11:49:04 PM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 08:07:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
OK, I think I might have a handle on it now.

Series 1800: vintage, weathered look, but otherwise it's 100% Bicycle Rider Backs.  There's some versatility there, especially if you use it with a Standard deck - age a card a hundred years right before your eyes, etc.  It's not something you'd use for serious card play, but it is something you could bust out at a neighborhood game for a change of pace.

Vintage Plaid: totally different "aged" look to it.  Faded face colors and that background - Josh called it cream, but I see there's more of a green tint to it; it looks kinda sick, and not the good kinda sick.  Otherwise, everything about the style and the deck is fine - it's among my favorites.  I especially love the California blue back - very easy on the eyes.

But in the end, I think I have to go with Series 1800.  From the perspective of a magician, there's more ways to use it and given the choice between a bordered and unbordered card (unless I'm learning certain gambling stunts), I'll pick bordered more often than not.

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 03:06:24 PM »

The Quadfather

• Elite Member
The design of the vintage plaid backs kind of hurts my head, so I'm going to have to go for the 1800s. I don't own the blue deck, but I like the red version. It's not a deck I get out to perform with very often though as people look at them more strangely than when I use a black deck.
My mom always said I'd be great at something. Who'd have thought that something would be zombie killin'.

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 06:48:22 PM »

magimago

1800 is a unique deck, but it handles very bad, and all in all its just another standartdeck with a change in color.

The vintage plaid is great for poker, magic, handels smooth, and looks good. so i go with te Vplaid.
Game or Thrones is addicting

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 09:33:58 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
1800 is a unique deck, but it handles very bad, and all in all its just another standartdeck with a change in color.

The vintage plaid is great for poker, magic, handels smooth, and looks good. so i go with te Vplaid.

(Sigh.)

I'm guessing you didn't read this:

I'm guessing Ellusionist's ad campaign months ago about switching all of their decks to Performance Coating didn't quite reach you somehow...  :))  They still have the odd leftover here and there, but most of what they're selling now is the new stuff.

So, the dance is done, the battle is over and it's Vintage Plaid by just one vote - another close one.

The comment winner is...Fanofyankees13!  Contact John to claim your prize!

New battle in the works...

...and ready!  http://aethercards.com/discourse/deck-battles-(alpha)/battle-16-tally-ho-viper-vs-deckone-industrial-edition/
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 11:57:28 PM by Don Boyer »