(VIDEO) Demonstration of design flaws - original Empire deck

Author (Read 1087 times)

(VIDEO) Demonstration of design flaws - original Empire deck
« on: September 01, 2015, 04:30:26 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Please forgive the audio, it's a little faint at times. It's my first experiment using Photo Booth and my new Mac notebook for shooting 1080p video. The demonstration is of the design flaws in the original Empire deck of playing cards designed by Lee McKenzie. All of the flaws in question deal with sections of the card print that go off into the bleed area - the area past which the card gets cut. I would like to point out as well that these flaws have been for the most part corrected in the Empire Bloodlines design - he fixed the color-changing band and eliminated the banners on the court indices. I haven't tested band alignment from card to card, side to side or deck to deck, but that's something that's a bit out of his control - he could have aligned them perfectly, only to have the manufacturer (in this case, USPC for the blue and green decks, Legends PCC for the black deck) miscut them.

I have since learned that Photo Booth does provide for some simple editing functions, but it was still shot as a single, continuous take - no breaks, no edits, no special effects of any kind.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 04:32:07 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: (VIDEO) Demonstration of design flaws - original Empire deck
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 09:27:49 PM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
Don,

I know you've moved into your new apartment, and you're still in the midst of decorating. But I took the liberty of adding a poster to your wall. I think it matches the umbrella motif.

Hope you like...

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 10:55:27 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Don,

I know you've moved into your new apartment, and you're still in the midst of decorating. But I took the liberty of adding a poster to your wall. I think it matches the umbrella motif.

Hope you like...

Dude, ya killin' me here!  Funny...

Yup, having fun fixing' up the new joint.  Depending on my schedule, I might go hunting picture frames tomorrow to hang some of the many uncut sheets I've got - but I have to put the shelving up first, so I know how much wall "real estate" I'll have left over.  I'm also putting up heavy curtains/drapes to protect against overexposure to the sun - can't be good for the ink.  Might even have room for an uncut in the kitchen...

I know the video was long - but what did you think of the content?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 12:20:42 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Nice video Don. Fantastic choice of decks to use for this.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 01:40:46 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Don,

Hope you like...

Dude, ya killin' me here!  Funny...

Yup, having fun fixing' up the new joint.  Depending on my schedule, I might go hunting picture frames tomorrow to hang some of the many uncut sheets I've got - but I have to put the shelving up first, so I know how much wall "real estate" I'll have left over.  I'm also putting up heavy curtains/drapes to protect against overexposure to the sun - can't be good for the ink.  Might even have room for an uncut in the kitchen...

I know the video was long - but what did you think of the content?

Great video - and quite amazing to do it all in one take! I think this is a really good 'hands on' approach to showing design flaws (or issues) that you talk about in other threads. Nice to 'put a face to the name' too - and I have to say I like the poster added by your virtual interior decorator :)