"(2DDC)" My entry for the PCF contest: Leon Playing Cards

Author (Read 1358 times)

"(2DDC)" My entry for the PCF contest: Leon Playing Cards
« on: July 03, 2015, 12:54:10 PM »

Chris Mayhew

• Newcomer
  • Angels fly because they take themselves lightly
Hi everyone,

I love the Dr. Leon Playing cards put out by Hiro Sakai so much that I asked him to use his design in my own deck of cards. Hiro gave me full permission to use his design, and this is where all of you come in. I have a basic design of what I would like the deck to look like, I wanted to keep it within the minimal realm of designs (I dig that style) but the deck is open to any and all suggestions. Below you will see the back design which is your basic silhouette of the lions placed against a nice burgundy background (keep it classy SanDiego!). Next is the Ace of Spades, I've always wanted just a solid ace of spades, I think it would look great in a deck of cards, but I get that the ace of spades is everyone's chance to experiment, I just would love to see a solid spade for a change. The jokers are the lions facing opposite directions, nice and simple and matches the theme, and then we have a card to give credit to all the artists involved. Please let me know what you would want to see on the Leon Playing Cards and we can make it happen! Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 12:59:00 PM by Chris Mayhew »

Re: "(2DDC)" My entry for the PCF contest: Leon Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 01:02:01 PM »

Chris Mayhew

• Newcomer
The card box is a solid burgundy box completely blank except for the symbol of the lion which will be embossed on the bottom corner of the box. Again, going with the minimal theme, there is something mysterious about having a card box with no words on it except for the logo of the deck, sort of like how blank tshirts or sweaters have the designer logo showing.

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 02:13:55 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I love what you're doing with the silhouettes.  What about silhouette courts?  How would that look?  I'm curious if the courts would still be identifiable as silhouettes of standard faces.  Red silhouettes for the red suits, of course!  That could be very classy and elegant as well as minimal.

Try it with and without the gray outline.  See which is the better of the two.  If needed, raise the level of detail in the edges - prominent noses, chins and lips, more detail on crowns, etc.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 02:15:33 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 08:42:48 PM »

Chris Mayhew

• Newcomer
That's a great idea if we go custom court cards! One of the features I loved about the Dr. Leon cards was that they were standard faces. This actually stood out to me at the time because the magic shop had nothing but crazy looking cards with custom faces, all still very elegant and beautiful (well some). But now that you brought up the idea I can see the court cards being silhouettes and I like it. Damn you haha!

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 08:46:36 PM »

Chris Mayhew

• Newcomer
That also just gave me an idea for the jokers! One joker can be red and one black.

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 01:37:42 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
That also just gave me an idea for the jokers! One joker can be red and one black.

I'd take it a step further...were it not for a little problem...

One of my favorite decks is the Bicycle Samurai deck by Sam Hayles, one of the few decks he designed that wasn't made for Big Blind Media and their Karnival series.  It's not an exceptional deck and the back design is sort-of almost but not-quite subtly one-way, but the thing I liked most about it was that it had THREE jokers - two identical, one different.  This allowed for greater versatility in how they could be used, for games as well as for magic.  Some card games call for using jokers that are identical (or are at least treated as such) while others call for jokers that are different as they're assigned different uses or ranks in the game.  In magic, some tricks work with different jokers, some work with identical jokers - and some can do a trick using identical jokers but throw off suspicion by demonstrating that "both" jokers are different, since few people expect a deck to have three jokers in it...  They can also be used as a fun alternative in a three-card monte routine.  In fact, for a truly insane version of three-card monte, have four jokers in total, only three of which are identical!  Pull a card switch at some point and you can show off three identical cards - "follow the lady" turns into a wild goose chase!

But - and this is important - as much as I love multiple jokers, the contest rules state you have to make your deck within the restrictions of what EPCC regularly produces in a single deck sheet - a 54-card deck, so you have only two extras, no more.  Both, either or none can be jokers, but there can only be two in total.  Now, if you were hiring Expert to make the deck for you, under those circumstances (and for an extra fee), you can have as many cards as you like in your deck.  Uusi's BRuT Tarot deck is a good example of this - they have two uncut sheets packaged as a set to show off the entire deck of 78 oversized cards, plus an artistic triptych of Hercules wrestling a lion - 81 cards in total, unless they also did an ad card to boot...

Well, it's something to consider for your next deck project - the one you create yourself or launch on Kickstarter!

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 09:38:27 AM »

Chris Mayhew

• Newcomer
Some good food for thought. Cheers!

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 04:47:31 PM »

Chris Mayhew

• Newcomer
Does anyone know where I can get hold of a template for Standard faces so that my designer can mess around with silhouettes?

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 09:49:14 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Does anyone know where I can get hold of a template for Standard faces so that my designer can mess around with silhouettes?

You could try card-shark.de.

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 05:45:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Just letting you folks know - the official entry topic is now open!