Author (Read 2259 times)

10 Tips For the Aspiring Kickstarter
« on: December 02, 2011, 04:42:09 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Kickstarter has quickly become the #1 place for an independent designer to strut their stuff. However, we are quickly realizing that not every deck that gets designed will end up getting produced. In the end it's about so much more than just pumping out a design and letting sit on the Kickstarter website for a month or two.

You're going to need to learn to market properly, talk to people, and learn how to not go on a serious killing spree with some of the people you end up contacting.

These 10 tips are 100% sure to make your Kickstarter project more successful.

1. You don't have to finish your design when you put up the Kickstarter, but being close to done is recommended. I launched my project with everything completed except a few court cards. Obviously don't be afraid to change your design as the project moves forward. I touched up the tuck box, the court cards, and the Ace of Spades at least five times throughout the project. People like to see consistency. Don't pump out random cards day after day. If you tell people "I'm working on the court cards" don't show them a gaff card two weeks later. This leads me into the next point.

2. Build trust with your pledges. Remember, this is NOT about how you can manipulate your customers the most, but how you can be transparent with them and let them in on the secrets of your playing cards. These are the people that are helping you fund your life or at the very least, make your dream a reality. They should be treated as such. Address people individually and learn to remember names. Lots of names. On top of that, don't blatantly lie to your customers about where the money goes. It's insulting to see people claim that money goes to funding things like uncut sheets. Why lie about that? Uncut sheets cost as much as any other deck to produce. And why claim money is going towards something that you haven't started yet? "Funds will be used for a trailer if enough money is raised" for example. How much money should be raised? Why would you drop $200-1000 on a trailer at all after you've raised $30k and the Kickstarter has ended? Consumers are slowly realizing these things, and you can't keep up a lie for too long. Eventually your cover is blown and you have to either compensate people, or get out of the business. Or, you can develop a relationship of transparency from the start, and be truthful. There is no reason to not tell your pledges that you will use some of the money to compensate living expenses. Who expects you not to? A Kickstarter is a full time project. Who will pay your bills while you raise money? Even non-profit charities use a huge portion of their funds to pay employees. Nobody in this world does work for free without ending up homeless.

3. Make a video. It doesn't even have to be a trailer. I decided a trailer would be most fitting for my playing card project, but if you lack the connections or the cha-ching, who cares? Get your laptop, sit in front of it and record a 2-3 minute shpiel about your product. Launching a Kickstarter without a video is a slap in the face to every other Kickstarter project that took the time to connect with their fans personally.

4. Create proper rewards. The rewards should vary in price from $1 to at least $1000. In my Kickstarter, the vast majority of funding came from the big spenders. I actually lost money for every individual deck sold at the $9 level with free shipping. I raised under $1000 from the 25% of pledges that purchased just one deck of cards. These people are amazing for helping you at all, and you should be thankful, but you should never under any circumstance limit yourself to those who can afford a few decks. The top 5% of my pledges raised more than $15,000. If I cut off the rewards at $200, I would never even reach my funding goal!

5. Realize you will deal with some atrocious people as well. For the most part the Kickstarter experience involves talking to countless people about how awesome you are, and how awesome you think they are for thinking you're awesome. This is a fun ego boost, and it's also very humbling. When all is said and done, however, you will deal with some scum of the earth as well. For every 50 supporters, expect at least one person who will go out of his or her way to mess with your project. It may be on purpose, or it may be because they don't realize the consequences of their actions. A great example would be this one fella I had who followed me around to every forum I posted my project on and told people how ugly the cards were. To each his own, right? Right. Which is why when you ignore someone like this, you come out on top.

6. Be wary of "flakers." These people will talk to you about making a big pledge, demand reservations of their cards, and then when it comes to game time, they disappear after you've already said "no" to other people wanting what they wanted. When it comes to limited stock, take my advice and do not reserve anything for anyone. Ever. I made this mistake and I can honestly say I ended up losing at least $3,000 of sales to other people that were much more interested but had to be turned away. If anyone asks you anything, let them know it's a first-come-first-serve basis. After all, you should be rewarding committed fans, not people trying to figure out whether or not your product is worth their time, while also making sure they can get what they want at the very last second.

7. Do not listen to anyone that has not pledged. This is not a blanket rule. Let me explain: During my project I had a few people ask for perks and price drops and special reward tiers just for them. I ended up putting in loads of man hours into acquiescing these needs only to be told "nah, not pledging" in the end. This goes with constructive criticism as well. Don't listen to the voice of one bloke who may not even support you after the problem is fixed. If you have already won the support of 100 people, why risk losing their support to gain the support of one random person? Don't change your design, concept, or anything in your project unless it is continuously suggested by many people.

8. Kickstarter has fees. Figure out how much money you need to fund your project, and add 25% on top of that. Don't ask me questions about this - just do it. You'll regret it if you don't.

9. Kickstarter staff is not very helpful. If you had problems logging in for a few days like I did, don't expect timely responses. I got my response a day after they fixed the problem. The result? Not being able to change reward quantities on time for demand.

10. When you see pledges coming in, get excited, but realize loads of them will back out. There is no commitment on Kickstarter until after the funding period is over. I suggest a funding period of 35-50 days. If I count how much money I lost to people making pledges and cancelling them later, I would say it's at least $10,000. Some of these people have legitimate life issues. Not everyone is loaded with thousands of dollars for cards. Don't feel bad since it is most likely not personal. However, you may find that person X cancelled their $800 pledge and tells you a sob story about how little money they have, and then a few days later you see them making a $1,000 purchase from someone else. You can let this bother you, and it most likely will for a little while when you realize just how scummy some people are, but then let it go.

After all, for every single scummy person you will deal with, you will deal with 100 amazing people that literally make you want to wake up in the morning and talk to them.

So, let me know, what questions do you have about Kickstarter? I'd love to help you guys succeed.  :)
Forum Founder.

Re: 10 Tips For the Aspiring Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 04:53:06 PM »

PoundFFFFFF

• Elite Member
  Kudos for getting Chris Freakin' Hestnes to do your trailer - loved it :)

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 08:11:35 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
You know, along with the warnings, there's so much love in this advice that it makes me feel good about myself.  I know you're under PR scrutiny with every word you say now and one misplaced statement suddenly leads to irate comments popping up everywhere, so you need to give respect where it's due to a certain extent but you didn't exactly pussy-foot around those people who frankly don't appreciate what their pledge really means (I mean, the 29k thank you was great, and then we were sitting at 28.something k for days afterwards; that's ridiculous) and that really gives weight to what you're saying about people who are supportive. 

So; with the aid of a damn fine 1/2 bottle of Glenfiddich, I would like to state the following; I started collecting cards pretty much because the Karnival Dead Eyes looked like Silent Hill artwork and I thought they were amazing (after a life-long love of card games and an almost 15 year obsession with Silent Hill).  The idea of custom playing cards never really crossed my mind before but I decided that collecting was something I could get into.  So, I wanted to either hear other people's opinions on decks I thought looked good or ones I was thinking about getting and I found deckmastercards on youtube.  I liked the cut of your jib; you were doing in depth and interesting reviews, being genuinely funny and most importantly, talking about decks that flew under the radar of other reviews; what you were doing was something unique.  Then the Vortex comes along and blows my mind; I really want to own it and then this whole community springs up and gives me a chance to kinda be a part of it.

Basically the point of this is that for me, and I'll go out on a limb and say every single one of those 'amazing people' who are out there, it's not simply that we are nice people.  It has nothing to do with prior dispositions, current trends in the market or even that you come across as a nice guy.  The simple fact is that you have created something incredible; I saw the product and the price and I jumped at it because I believe I am getting a fantastic deal in terms of money given versus worth.  I believe, I really do, that everyone who supports you was not some happy accident or nice, friendly people you happened to reach out to online; it was earned through the time and effort you put into creating something that deserved this attention, admiration and (dare I say), love.  As has been said, this is the single most successful project of its kind and it has nothing to do with loyalty or good timing; only the impression that you have made, that you have earned.

Anyway, since I'm in the UK the whisky's in full effect and I'm done being inexplicably affectionate towards someone I barely know, I shall promptly be inexplicably abusive towards the people I love (no, I won't; it's a joke, don't worry) and go to bed.  I'll see you in the morning for the aftermath...

of the Kickstarter and the booze.

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 08:25:29 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Thank you for the kind words Chris. About us dropping to 28ish-thousand after the 29k thank you, that was because a big supporter of the project encountered some financial problems in his personal life. The guy is extremely nice, and contacted me about the fact. I am reserving his $500 pledge through December because, you know what - we all fall on hard times and this person is actually setting aside money from his pay check to follow through on a pledge he made two months ago; during a time when he could use every dollar he earns. That to me is going above and beyond the call of duty.

There have been several people who gave me their "sob stories" and then go off and buy $500 worth of stuff elsewhere, but our drop from 29 to 28 was not one of those.

Furthermore, I do realize hard work has a lot to do with the success. I spend a majority of my day working on this stuff, and it shows when a community sprouts up and projects get backed. I guess I thought it was a given that the harder you work on something the more spectacular the results.

I dare someone here to spend 40-70 hours a week working on something and not succeed. It's impossible!
Forum Founder.

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 09:15:50 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
...so the 30k barrier is broken, then? ;)

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 07:03:22 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Alex, you are an awesome guy. This post will be saved and your experience is valuable to the rest of us. Congrats again on your great funding! It's obvious you put in the effort, and that's why you succeed. I have great respect for that. I look forward to getting your cards and am also looking forward to (hopefully) being a friendly and worthwhile "competitor" to your great work.

Edit: Forgot my question...

My main point of pondering at the moment is mainly about timing. That is, how you timed out finishing art, contracting with Bicycle and synchronizing the Kickstarter. I have my own ideas but am curious if you have any "aha!" tips that came along.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 07:06:41 PM by xmetal »
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 09:12:30 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I contacted USPCC and exchanged emails about the design and getting the Proto decks done. I did this while hyping the cards and garnering support for the designs. I picked a date for Kickstarter that gave me ample time to prepare everything I wanted to, as well as launching it right after people get their paychecks (1st or 15th) so that we'd have a successful first day (and boy did we).
Forum Founder.

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 07:02:32 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Okay, this may be a dumb question. Prepare yourself. :P
In the tralier, a deck of the cards was being handled (obviously), but wasn't that released way before all the decks were printed? What I'm trying to ask, is how you got the prototype deck printed, how much it cost, and how many you got. Thanks.
"What have future generations ever done for us?" - Groucho Marx

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 07:07:55 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Okay, this may be a dumb question. Prepare yourself. :P
In the tralier, a deck of the cards was being handled (obviously), but wasn't that released way before all the decks were printed? What I'm trying to ask, is how you got the prototype deck printed, how much it cost, and how many you got. Thanks.
Four Prototypes exist. Two of them are partial prototypes (used in the trailer) that include only 20 or so cards out of the 56 in the deck. One of these sold via Kickstarter for $100.

Then two completed Prototypes exist. One is sealed in cellophane, sold on Kickstarter for $300. The other completed Prototype is in my collection.

Each Prototype costs $250 to make. They are made by hand by the USPCC.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 07:12:36 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Wow. Very interesting. Is the prototype added in the price of getting a custom deck printed? Like, is that part of the deal?

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 07:24:02 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Wow. Very interesting. Is the prototype added in the price of getting a custom deck printed? Like, is that part of the deal?
It used to be free, but now costs $250 for each one you want. It actually bumped up production costs for us by $1000 plus tax.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 07:32:17 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Woah. That sucks. I thought it'd be free; just a couple of decks, when you're ordering 5,000 or however many. But it's nice to hear that you kept one of them for your collection; there's only one other existing one in the world!

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 04:35:19 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
As Alex said, they are made by hand, not the traditional printing presses. I think they use a cmyk digital printer to print the deck and then punch/cut the cards out. Probably takes more than a couple hours to do, hence the high cost.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 04:42:22 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
As Alex said, they are made by hand, not the traditional printing presses. I think they use a cmyk digital printer to print the deck and then punch/cut the cards out. Probably takes more than a couple hours to do, hence the high cost.

Yeah, I guess you're right. But still, it's quite a hefty price. I guess that's the price of hand made cards though, eh?

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 07:54:46 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
Yet another thread that got lost :( Even if I am not from america or the states or whatever I think some new members would like to read these tips from the kickstarter master... ALEX. LoL! hahahahah!

I wish they can open up to an international audience. :(

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 09:06:20 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
nice thread .. never read it before .. ty for reviving it