(DDDC) Playing Cards for Magic Tricks & Cardistry

Author (Read 1049 times)

(DDDC) Playing Cards for Magic Tricks & Cardistry
« on: April 29, 2014, 12:57:30 AM »

edohuang

• Newcomer
Greetings!

My name is Edo Huang from indonesia.
here my submission for DISCOURSE DECK DESIGN CONTEST.

when i start designing this playing card i want all card magician and all people who playing cardistry can use this card.
so i come up with rough ideas for this deck and also the feedback from my previous design for Nautical playing cards that i launch with the blue crown last august.

magician want this deck to be:
• custom back design
• custom faces and suits
• marked decks
• gaffs

cardistry want this deck to be:
• interesting back design (rounded/ rubix design) because its gonna looks cool when they do card pirouette, pandora, etc.
• solid color for the backs
• custom faces and suits.

I'm still working for the design itself and feel free to send me any ideas to me and i will do the best to fulfill your request.

ps: I'm doing full time graphic design job from morning til night so i will update any changes or design when i got any free time and i will do the best for it!

cheers

Edo Huang

(Facebook, Twitter, Instagram @edohuang)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 02:23:16 AM by Don Boyer »

Re: Playing Cards for Magic Tricks & Cardistry (DDDC)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 02:21:58 AM »

edohuang

• Newcomer
recently I'm playing with color for the playing card backs and i come up with this color.

and some sketches for the back of the card..

i will post the back design with photoshop very soon!

ps: sorry for some messy sketches, I'm not good at hand drawing :)

Re: (DDDC) Playing Cards for Magic Tricks & Cardistry
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 02:48:13 AM »

edohuang

• Newcomer
here the draft design that i did with photoshop.
back design with rounder style with a marking back in the corner.
the marking itself its designed to be mark by your own marker so you gonna get this white spot and with your own sharpie or whatever you have you can mark the backs of the card.

please feel free to give any feedback.

cheers
edo

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 03:23:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
here the draft design that i did with photoshop.
back design with rounder style with a marking back in the corner.
the marking itself its designed to be mark by your own marker so you gonna get this white spot and with your own sharpie or whatever you have you can mark the backs of the card.

please feel free to give any feedback.

cheers
edo

The design itself is rather attractive, though it's very reminiscent of many others on the market.  I think Paul Carpenter's most recent deck, Zenith, uses a similar back pattern.

You're free to arrange the dots like that if you want, but a good marking system for games would have the marks on top left and bottom right corners of the cards - those are the areas that are most exposed when cards are being held in your opponent's hand.

Additionally, if you want to incorporate the ability to color in spots and allow for identifying the cards with markings, you'll want to choose a color for the surrounding area that closely matches that of a commonly available magic marker, such as a Sharpie.  For example, if I use a red Sharpie to color in that dot, it's gonna look awful.  If I use a brown Sharpie and the surrounding area isn't an exact color match, it could possibly look just as bad as if I used red.  Now, if the surrounding area were instead color-matched to the color of a commonly available Sharpie, then the marks I leave would be invisible to the spectator under all but the best of lighting conditions.

I would worry less about devising a marking system and more about devising the overall design!  Leave some areas with enough detail and the card sharps themselves can devise their own marking systems, preferably one that takes up much less of the card back area so as to be more difficult to spot.  I think the design would look much nicer if you simply filled in the gaps and made the ring of white dots a complete ring of white dots.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 05:03:48 AM »

edohuang

• Newcomer
thanks Don for the reply.

i made a few revision for the back design, no longer use the marking system but along the way if i got any concept for the marking i will let you guys know and i will update it.

please let me know if you guys have any feedback.

ps: I'm working with the suit and will update as soon as possible.

cheers

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 03:58:35 AM »

edohuang

• Newcomer
UPDATE!

hello everyone.
i've been trying to playing around with the suit for the cards and here 2 style of the numbered and also the arrangement for the playing card design.

hope to hear feedback from you :D

cheers
edo

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 06:19:45 AM »

Afrank8

• True Member
The gold inked 5 of diamonds seems kind of skewed to me, I'm tending to prefer the first style but one thing is the font four the four kind of seems like a 9 at a quick glance, other than that I'm really liking this design

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 03:23:13 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
UPDATE!

hello everyone.
i've been trying to playing around with the suit for the cards and here 2 style of the numbered and also the arrangement for the playing card design.

hope to hear feedback from you :D

cheers
edo

These pips on the top are interesting, but they're also too reminiscent to me of the ones Ellusionist used in the Sultan Republic decks.

Have you considered something different but along the same lines?  One of the desired effects of a design like that is to create a sort of a three-dimensional effect - there are other ways of achieving that effect, and three-D pips aren't something you see every day.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 07:05:32 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Hey, any updates on this?

I love what you have so far. Any chance we could get a peek at a court card or the AoS?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)