You are Here:
*Cardistree Deck UPDATES*

Author (Read 14702 times)

Re: Ace of Spades Design
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2012, 03:40:49 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
I'll probably team up with my sister on this if I decide to go forward with a whole deck. She's an amazing artist and is very talented with pattern design and these types of things.

Ever see pictures of "old man Nature" in the form of a face in a tree?  Awesome concept for a King...

No I don't think I have, care to share?  ::)
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2012, 04:14:11 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Very cool idea and design. There sure are a lot of talented people around here...
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2012, 12:50:34 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I'll probably team up with my sister on this if I decide to go forward with a whole deck. She's an amazing artist and is very talented with pattern design and these types of things.

Ever see pictures of "old man Nature" in the form of a face in a tree?  Awesome concept for a King...

No I don't think I have, care to share?  ::)

Imagine something that's a cross between the face on the Infinity joker and the Ents from the Lord of the Rings movies.  I tried a quick search to find better images, but failed.  I'm sure the character has a different, better name but I can't think of it at the moment.  He's essentially a druidic archetype, worshiper of nature and all that.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2012, 03:26:02 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran

Imagine something that's a cross between the face on the Infinity joker and the Ents from the Lord of the Rings movies.  I tried a quick search to find better images, but failed.  I'm sure the character has a different, better name but I can't think of it at the moment.  He's essentially a druidic archetype, worshiper of nature and all that.

Sounds epic, and perfect for the theme!
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2012, 07:59:47 PM »

Billywiz

• Elite Member
Yes the Ent court cards would be amazing with this theme.

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2012, 01:18:13 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Yeah, but don't go calling them Ents - Tolkien's heirs might have a legal word or two to say about it!

I envision the "druids" as the Jacks and Kings, with Mothers Nature on the Queen and Jokers.

What about a deck back?  So far we're seeing a "winter" deck, with naked deciduous trees.  What would fit that theme on the back, aside from an intricate pattern of branches?  If you did that, I could see four trees with trunks meeting in the center and treetops aimed at the corners.

And of course, there's the age-old debate: bordered or borderless?  :)

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2012, 01:28:11 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

Yeah, but don't go calling them Ents - Tolkien's heirs might have a legal word or two to say about it!

I envision the "druids" as the Jacks and Kings, with Mothers Nature on the Queen and Jokers.

What about a deck back?  So far we're seeing a "winter" deck, with naked deciduous trees.  What would fit that theme on the back, aside from an intricate pattern of branches?  If you did that, I could see four trees with trunks meeting in the center and treetops aimed at the corners.

And of course, there's the age-old debate: bordered or borderless?  :)
I say go with borders! I prefer borders MUCH more.

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2012, 01:53:34 AM »

Billywiz

• Elite Member
Back design... How about leafs falling sort of thing, or other leaf design. Maybe a bark back design?

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2012, 02:18:33 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
I say go with whatever looks best regardless...
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2012, 02:23:34 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I say go with whatever looks best regardless...

Well, this is one of those subjective things...  One man's "looks best" is another man's "god, that's hideous!"  I generally prefer borders, but if the deck is more artistic, I can see where a borderless design might be desired.

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2012, 01:03:06 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
I think I would go for borders. If you think about most borderless decks, the backs are usually some sort of very repetitive pattern, like the Bee's, Stickman deck, even the new D&D vintage decks. I would want the back to be very intricate, with curving branches, maybe leaves, even whole trees and roots. I think a border would work best with that. I've already told my sister and she's going to be designing it with me, patternwork is her speciality!

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2012, 02:36:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I think I would go for borders. If you think about most borderless decks, the backs are usually some sort of very repetitive pattern, like the Bee's, Stickman deck, even the new D&D vintage decks. I would want the back to be very intricate, with curving branches, maybe leaves, even whole trees and roots. I think a border would work best with that. I've already told my sister and she's going to be designing it with me, patternwork is her speciality!

So, will there be a Kickstarter project in your future?  ;)

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2012, 02:49:17 AM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran

So, will there be a Kickstarter project in your future?  ;)

I do believe so!  ;D  Someone will have to fill me in on how to set all that up  ::)

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2012, 03:00:48 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Alex is one person to ask - though his experience wasn't entirely a happy one.  Also look for user RWKercheval - he's the mind behind the Brimstone and Americana decks.

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2012, 03:35:10 AM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
Sweet, I definitely will. Love the Brimstone deck  :D

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2012, 02:07:33 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Derek,

Just a word of warning with Kickstarter: you will need to spend some serious time researching, running numbers and planning things out. Even with all that, there is no guarantee of success but without all those details in line (knowing precisely how much money you need, where it will all go, what rewards are most successful, etc) I think it will be almost impossible to get it funded. I've spent many an hour staring at spreadsheets and juggling numbers around to see if I can get an easy to understand project that people will back and I'd highly recommend you do the same! :)
Paul Carpenter

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2012, 03:17:33 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
Derek,

Just a word of warning with Kickstarter: you will need to spend some serious time researching, running numbers and planning things out. Even with all that, there is no guarantee of success but without all those details in line (knowing precisely how much money you need, where it will all go, what rewards are most successful, etc) I think it will be almost impossible to get it funded. I've spent many an hour staring at spreadsheets and juggling numbers around to see if I can get an easy to understand project that people will back and I'd highly recommend you do the same! :)

Thanks for the advice! If/When I decide and commit to making a deck, I'll take it very seriously and spend a good amount of time researching all the aspects of it. I don't want to jump in with both feet unless I know this whole deal is feasible.

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2012, 09:28:49 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Have you come up with any more designs?

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2012, 02:32:40 AM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
Have you come up with any more designs?

Not yet, been very busy with getting ready for this semester etc. I'm going to try and come up with some more designs by the end of this month!

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2012, 06:54:29 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
I'm in contact with the USPCC about a quote right now. I just want to know where I should be starting from. Then I'll work on the designs, which will definitely take a long long long long time  :-[

« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2012, 07:03:43 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
A preliminary quote for 2,500 decks: $2.07 per deck, per design. Final quote will depend on artwork
                                     5,000 decks: $1.89 per deck, per design.

This preliminary quote includes Bicycle grade paper and custom tuck case

The custom tuck case is our standard tuck case that you see with our Bicycle decks

Cards are Poker size and you can choose Embossed or Smooth finish

Other options are seals and cello wrap that are included with the price if you choose them

56 cards come standard

The following will be art charges for a single design custom back, custom card faces and custom tuck:

Custom Tuck Case: $160.00
Custom Card Backs: $110.00
Custom Card Faces: $600.00
Ad cards: $60.00 per card
Additional art services if needed: $75 per hour

Uncut sheets: $5.00 per sheet, these ship with your order

This is a standard quote I got with my promo deck. ;)
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2012, 07:06:42 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
A preliminary quote for 2,500 decks: $2.07 per deck, per design. Final quote will depend on artwork
                                     5,000 decks: $1.89 per deck, per design.

This preliminary quote includes Bicycle grade paper and custom tuck case

The custom tuck case is our standard tuck case that you see with our Bicycle decks

Cards are Poker size and you can choose Embossed or Smooth finish

Other options are seals and cello wrap that are included with the price if you choose them

56 cards come standard

The following will be art charges for a single design custom back, custom card faces and custom tuck:

Custom Tuck Case: $160.00
Custom Card Backs: $110.00
Custom Card Faces: $600.00
Ad cards: $60.00 per card
Additional art services if needed: $75 per hour

Uncut sheets: $5.00 per sheet, these ship with your order

That's most likely what I'll get then haha. Thanks!

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2012, 07:37:48 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

That's most likely what I'll get then haha. Thanks!

I think most everyone gets that quote. It will change when you start getting specific and adding options. I think their 2012 prices are also a bit higher as well.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2012, 10:35:03 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
I was very specific so I'll see what she says. Since my deck will be Cardistree I thought it would be awesome to have recycled paper.... Buuuut they can't do that for me they said.

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2012, 02:09:44 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I'm sure we'd all like to see some of the new designs if they're ready  :)