You are Here:
Game Rules Cards

Author (Read 13343 times)

Game Rules Cards
« on: September 04, 2018, 03:50:49 PM »

mandrewlin

• Newcomer
I wanted to gauge interest in an idea I had: a deck of cards with instructions on how to play card games. So, just to be clear, this deck of cards will not be playing cards. Instead, each card will have instructions on how to play a different game - Gin Rummy, or Spades, or Go Fish even. I've always wanted to have just a small "card" of game instructions, that I could even insert into the tuckbox of my playing cards. Attached is an example of what this might look like.

Would you be in interested in a deck of cards like this?

Re: Game Rules Cards
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 04:35:11 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I wanted to gauge interest in an idea I had: a deck of cards with instructions on how to play card games. So, just to be clear, this deck of cards will not be playing cards. Instead, each card will have instructions on how to play a different game - Gin Rummy, or Spades, or Go Fish even. I've always wanted to have just a small "card" of game instructions, that I could even insert into the tuckbox of my playing cards. Attached is an example of what this might look like.

Would you be in interested in a deck of cards like this?

It's not a terrible idea - but there are other ideas that might be more effective.  For example, USPC makes a Bicycle app for iPhones and Android phones that has rules for several playing card games all at your fingertips.  Combine that with the fact that there's a boatload of websites with playing card rules and lots of people carrying smartphones, and it's a hard combination to beat.

However, having said all of that, it's not a terrible idea, really.  A card that fits in a pack of cards with rules for a card game is very neat and efficient (and doesn't need recharging or a wireless signal)!  It sounds like the kind of thing that you could target to the camping market - the kind of people who would often find themselves in places with poor cellphone signal, little to no access to electricity and a desire for pocket-sized entertainment.  I'd recommend having them made specifically for the camping market - in a sturdy box and printed on plastic, so they can withstand dunking and downpours and continue functioning as needed.  You could make it part of a two-deck set where your deck of game rule cards is combined with a pack of plastic playing cards, perhaps even in a neat little zip-closed pack.  If you get really fancy, you can even create a score counter for it!

The issue you're going to run into is that while making it on plastic is best for the target market in question, making it in plastic is also far more expensive than making it on paper or pasteboard.  It will be hard to price it attractively and make it as a durable product that will survive camping trip after camping trip.

I'd select a set of games that fit a few criteria:
1. Simple to play
2. Variety of players - 1 player, 2 players, several players, etc.
3. A mix of old favorites and less-common games
4. Games that don't require too much by way of added accessories
5. Games that can be over fairly quickly - anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes is good for a hand.

Another interesting idea - for non-solitaire games, print the cards in pairs, where you have two cards that are identical, whether it's a single game with a longer set of rules printed on both sides of each card or two games printed one on each side.  By printing in pairs, when you have a multiplayer game, there's less need to pass around the rules cards if there's one on each side of the table!

Good luck!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 03:40:32 AM »

mandrewlin

• Newcomer
Wow, thank you so much Don Boyer for the feedback! Really good ideas - all of them. I especially like your idea of marketing to the camping crowd. In fact, my son and I go camping quite a bit and this was one of the situations where I wanted a rule card to use. I agree that game choice is going to be key. A mix would be good, some familiar and some more esoteric, differing number of players required, with no additional equipment (scoring pads, etc) required.

I agree that phone apps and the Internet are great sources of game rules, but, and this may just be me, it just feels wrong to whip out my cell phone, or be on my computer when playing cards. Plus, you are correct, there is the issue of not being plugged in or not having reception when you might actually want to play. So, I think this medium might serve some purpose...maybe.

I like your idea of bundling my deck with an actual deck of playing cards. Cool combo idea! I recently came across a travel playing card case that actually has a pencil sharpener integrated into it (to keep your scoring pencil sharp)!

Using plastic stock is also an interesting idea. You are right, durability would be very important.

Again, thank you so much for the great feedback!!!

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 02:45:44 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Wow, thank you so much Don Boyer for the feedback! Really good ideas - all of them. I especially like your idea of marketing to the camping crowd. In fact, my son and I go camping quite a bit and this was one of the situations where I wanted a rule card to use. I agree that game choice is going to be key. A mix would be good, some familiar and some more esoteric, differing number of players required, with no additional equipment (scoring pads, etc) required.

I agree that phone apps and the Internet are great sources of game rules, but, and this may just be me, it just feels wrong to whip out my cell phone, or be on my computer when playing cards. Plus, you are correct, there is the issue of not being plugged in or not having reception when you might actually want to play. So, I think this medium might serve some purpose...maybe.

I like your idea of bundling my deck with an actual deck of playing cards. Cool combo idea! I recently came across a travel playing card case that actually has a pencil sharpener integrated into it (to keep your scoring pencil sharp)!

Using plastic stock is also an interesting idea. You are right, durability would be very important.

Again, thank you so much for the great feedback!!!

Actually, there's an interesting concept that's been used for scoring in the past.  It synchs nicely with the concept of using plastic cards for your rules.

Imagine three plastic cards that have been riveted together.  Picture the top card, with an arrow pointing to an edge.  Picture the second card, having a scale of 0-9 printed along one side and an arrow pointing to an edge.  The third card, on the bottom, has a scale printed from 10-whatever, in tens, along the edge.  By pivoting the three cards against each other, you can use them as scorekeepers for whatever games you're playing that require scorekeeping.  If you need the scale to go higher, make card #2 have 0-19, card #3 have 20-whatever in twenties.  It makes for simple, effective scorekeeping that's perfectly sized to fit in the same box as the rules cards, and if the rivets are reasonably tight so the cards require some physical force to pivot them around, you can even knock the scorekeeper over by accident and it still has the score.  Two such scorekeepers are perfect for a scoring game.

If riveting is too expensive or impractical, just printing the cards separately would be enough, though it's less accident-proof.  You just place one card on top of another on top of another, with pointers on one card pointing to the number on the card below, then shift them as needed when the score changes.

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 02:22:32 AM »

mandrewlin

• Newcomer
This is actually a very simple and ingenious scorekeeper idea. I like it a lot. Was this ever produced? I would buy one!

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 03:55:37 PM »

mandrewlin

• Newcomer
Speaking of cool scoring devices, found something similar. Vintage!

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 03:51:00 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
This is actually a very simple and ingenious scorekeeper idea. I like it a lot. Was this ever produced? I would buy one!

There were a few vintage designs for this, and one modern one.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1590934883/meeple-playing-cards-super-limited-edition

I was the one who gave them the idea!  It's a simpler version of what I described, minus any riveting or fastening of the cards together - you simply cover one card with the other in the right place to keep score.  But if either card accidentally moves, you lose track of the score.

Speaking of cool scoring devices, found something similar. Vintage!

I've seen a few score keepers like that - they're a bit more complex to make, and would likely drive up your production costs.  Best to keep things as simple (and affordable) as possible to help insure success!