You are Here:
Ask the Experts at 52 Plus Joker

Author (Read 126255 times)

Re: Ask the Experts at 52 Plus Joker
« Reply #325 on: January 03, 2022, 09:23:28 PM »

tobyedwards

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Please see the attached photograph of another back design (1st version of Autumn) that was issued with this particular finish.
This back design and Rose are the only two that I am aware of that were issued with this unusual and apparently short-lived finish.

« Reply #326 on: January 04, 2022, 06:58:11 PM »

Chuqii

• Don't Use This!
  • Discourse Veteran
What I find interesting is that the Silk Finish looks a lot like the Bee 216 back - see a pic of that deck at https://conjuringarts.org/2013/02/discovered-bee-216-erdnase/
Check out my decks for sale on eBay, and contact me directly for discounts. https://www.ebay.com/sch/clahobo/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
Check out a bunch of my collection over on my  UnitedCardists Show Us Your Cards thread: https://unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=6900

« Reply #327 on: January 31, 2022, 12:46:53 PM »

NCC1888

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Does anyone have any knowledge of a box for this deck? Or any owners? The deck is called ROYALTY but is called BOUQUET in the Hochman (NS10)  It was designed by Alice D Ley of Wayne, Nebraska. It originally came in a box with another deck called 400 and instructions for game play. Working on a story about this deck.

« Reply #328 on: January 31, 2022, 05:23:19 PM »

tobyedwards

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Here are pictures of both the top and bottom of the original box for this very interesting card game. The box only contains a single deck but came with two sets of separate instructions, one for each game that could be played with the same deck. One game is called The Royal "400" and the other is the game of Royalty. Both are copyrighted 1909. I am also showing a picture of the 53rd card which could be treated as a joker and, as you can see, is called Jack Frost. It would be nice if, in the course of your research about Alice D. Ley of Wayne, Nebraska and, presumably this game itself, who is the royal personage who appears on each of the court cards.

« Reply #329 on: January 31, 2022, 05:42:41 PM »

tobyedwards

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Here are pictures of both sides of the two 4-page instruction leaflets, one for each game, that were inserted in the original box.

« Reply #330 on: February 01, 2022, 10:29:14 AM »

NCC1888

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
These pictures are fantastic. I will use them in my story if you don't mind with a credit to you. The cards do not feature any actual royalty. The people on the court cards were just friends of Alice's in Wayne. She had a launch party on New's Eve for 1910 where many of the people featured attended. The tiny local historical society has no information about who these people might be. I have been in contact with her great-grandson (he is still in Wayne) and his family has no idea. Should be posting the story by next week.
I have 2 pictures of Alice. Both have here with flowers on her dresses.

« Reply #331 on: February 01, 2022, 04:59:18 PM »

torcams

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
These pictures are great.  My deck happens to have 11 pips in lieu of Queens - i.e. It has Kings, Maids and 11s.  I have also seen decks with Kings, Queens and Maids and Ace through 10.

I wonder if there is a story about one of the Queens falling out of favor or requesting to be removed!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 07:28:21 PM by torcams »
Matt Schacht

« Reply #332 on: February 01, 2022, 07:32:16 PM »

torcams

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Well, now I am a bit confused.  Toby your pamphlet refers to Kings, Queens, Maids and 11s.  Was this a 57 card deck??
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 07:35:24 PM by torcams »
Matt Schacht

« Reply #333 on: February 02, 2022, 08:35:18 AM »

tobyedwards

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
The complete deck consisted of 57 cards in total = 4 Bouquet cards (or Aces), 4 Kings, 4 Queens, 4 Maids and 4 each of the ranks 2-11 plus the single Jack Frost card. The original box in which it was issued contained just this one deck as that was all that was needed to play either game. You are welcome to use any or all of my photos in your story but I seek no credit for having supplied them. I am glad to be able to contribute to the increased knowledge of other collectors. I am quite surprised to hear that the court cards do not show royal personages but were simply local townspeople that she knew. That certainly makes this deck something of a local or regional issue and I wonder how widely this game was circulated. I am also left to wonder how the sentence, or erroneous assumption,  that "The court cards are the reigning royalty of the day." got into the NS10 listing in the Hochman encyclopedia as well as the incorrect title "Bouquet Playing Cards" and incorrect date of 1901. Nevertheless, I shall look forward to your upcoming story about the creator of this unusual game.

« Reply #334 on: February 03, 2022, 12:16:24 PM »

NCC1888

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Here is the story. Thanks again for the info and pictures.
https://fpopcg.weebly.com/alice-d-leys-royalty.html

« Reply #335 on: February 06, 2022, 06:07:10 PM »

NCC1888

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Here are 2 decks I am working on. The boxes have that USPC look but cannot prove if they printed them. Hoping to find one with a tax stamp to pin it down. Swastika was 1906-12 and Cheyenne was 1912. One company lead to the other.

« Reply #336 on: February 06, 2022, 08:30:04 PM »

tobyedwards

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
I can contribute two photos to your latest endeavor, albeit somewhat indistinct ones at that.
The first shows the letterhead for the Swastika Card Co. of Adrian, Michigan and it is dated Feb. 18, 1908.
The second shows the signature of S.R. Beal at the bottom of this same typewritten letter to a customer in Nebraska. The paper used is extremely thin and fragile.
As an aside, did playing card games require tax stamps or was it just decks of playing cards that had to have them?
I have many Fireside Games decks, as well as other antique playing card games, in my collection and not one of them has any trace of a tax stamp anywhere, hence, my question to you.

« Reply #337 on: February 08, 2022, 11:29:04 AM »

NCC1888

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
The deck contained 55 cards which should have made it be required for a tax stamp (Any deck with 54 cards and over) The printing on the boxes just have that USPC look.
I have several documents from the Lenawee County Historical Society where Adrian, Michigan is located. They have a deck of Cheyenne on display but never knew anything about Swastika. Same deck just a different name. That will come out in my story.
I will cover the life of Samuel Roy Beal (the man that designed Swastika and signed your document), his partner James Denny Crandall and William O. Albig (who changed Swastika to Cheyenne)

UPDATE: The story is now available at  https://fpopcg.weebly.com/swastika---cheyenne.html
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 10:17:21 AM by NCC1888 »

« Reply #338 on: February 10, 2022, 10:11:48 AM »

Chuqii

• Don't Use This!
  • Discourse Veteran
Ok, card sages, here's a deck I have been unable to identify.  It came with a lot of antique cards.  I'm assuming special order, but no idea for whom.  Any guesses?

Check out my decks for sale on eBay, and contact me directly for discounts. https://www.ebay.com/sch/clahobo/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
Check out a bunch of my collection over on my  UnitedCardists Show Us Your Cards thread: https://unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=6900

« Reply #339 on: February 10, 2022, 10:36:36 AM »

tobyedwards

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
I do not know if this will help you to identify your deck, which I am happy to be able to see, but here is it's matching joker with the title "The Vogue". It looks as if it might have been a brand issued by one of the Midland PCC companies some time during the 1920's but this is just my speculation.

« Reply #340 on: February 10, 2022, 04:43:11 PM »

Chuqii

• Don't Use This!
  • Discourse Veteran
That is a big help.  Thank you!

I was able to find the deck at the WWPCM ( http://a.trionfi.eu/WWPCM/decks05/d02032/d02032.htm ) who listed the manufacturer as Buzza Co.  I found a bit about Buzza Co at The Vintage Valentine Museum - http://www.vintagevalentinemuseum.com/2014/06/maker-buzza-cardozo.html - and OldImprints.com - https://ilab.org/assets/catalogues/catalogs_files_592_greetingcards.pdf

« Reply #341 on: February 10, 2022, 06:46:03 PM »

Chuqii

• Don't Use This!
  • Discourse Veteran
To pick up again on the introduction of Air-Cushion Finish discussion from earlier in the thread, I was on Google Books for something else and stumbled into some interesting info.  According to the ads, the first decks to have Air-Cushion Finish were two Congress decks - Dixie Girl and Moonbeams.  Ad is from Oct 7, 1909.  First mention I found of Bicycle decks with Air-Cushion Finish was Sept 17, 1910.  Ads below.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 06:46:52 PM by Chuqii »

« Reply #342 on: February 17, 2022, 09:12:56 PM »

Cabbie

• Newcomer
So, I won an EBAY auction last week from someone in Maine who was selling some Playing Card Decks and memorabilia. He had several of these printing plates and I managed to win the plate that I really liked, which was the Queen of Diamonds. I was wondering if anyone recognizes the specific design or can tell me anything about it. Especially if any decks were actually made with this plate? 
Several things i already know about it :
1.) It seems bigger than your normal card deck size.
2.) It is a single ended figure, so not sure if it is really old or if it was used to produce a reproduction type deck.
3.) The name "Rachel" is written down the side, so that would likely identify it as a French "Paris Pattern" Queen of Diamonds. The Paris Pattern is the only French version that I know of that named the courts, but possibly some of the other French patterns did.

Thanks for any information you nice folks can provide.

« Reply #343 on: March 02, 2022, 01:25:44 PM »

NCC1888

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Does anyone have any items, or early decks of cards, from A. Ball & Brother Company of Chicago in the late 1800s? Putting together a story about A. Ball which happens to be Annie Ball.

« Reply #344 on: March 30, 2022, 04:07:16 PM »

NCC1888

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Does anyone have any cards from a card game called "Election"? I cannot find any pictures for a story I am working on about it.

« Reply #345 on: March 30, 2022, 05:12:50 PM »

tobyedwards

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Here are some pictures of the front of the original box and several cards from this political game. Once again, I apologize for the indistinct quality of these pictures but, hopefully, something is better than nothing. Unfortunately, my original box is in dark red which is hard to photograph and, of course, there has to be a paper pull disturbing the central image of the hand of cards. The next picture is of the card back which is an interesting design consisting of money bags and scrollwork with what looks like the inventor's initials (G.R.C.?) in the center oval. The deck consists of 52 cards, 45 of which are numbered sequentially in the order in which each state joined the union (Delaware # 1 - Utah # 45). The remaining 7 cards are photographed below and they are Flag, President, 2 Labor cards and 3 Trust cards. Unfortunately, my example lacks the instructions but they are probably similar to other political card games that were issued during that era (1896-1904). I look forward to your upcoming article.

« Reply #346 on: March 31, 2022, 03:03:37 PM »

NCC1888

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
GRC is for Guy R Cockley the inventor. I had an article that describes exactly the cards you posted. I am tying this deck to a story about "Political Euchre" from 1884 by Louis Lum Smith. Cockley's idea was really close to Smith's deck. You win by accumulating enough electorial votes to elect your president. The votes appear on the cards.
Thanks again for coming up with pictures of these rare cards.

« Reply #347 on: April 13, 2022, 11:29:26 PM »

NCC1888

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Looking for information about a playing card company in Milwaukee between 1876 and 1883. The owner was Frederick A Klatt. His partner was a hardware store owner named A W Coe. I cannot find any pictures, or names, of his cards. Even Klatt disappears after 1883. Any information would be appreciated.

« Reply #348 on: April 29, 2022, 11:24:20 AM »

MonkeyBoy52

• Newcomer
Hi all

Hoping for some help dating my consolidated dougherty tally ho deck. I've attached photos.

I believe it's 1954 my reasoning is the tax stamp I believe is from 1940-1965 and looking at the ace, the code is T which I believe would mean 1934, 1954 or 1974 and 1954 fits with the tax stamp.

I'm pretty new to this and I'm hoping I'm right but happy to be proved wrong so am I missing something, should I check something else or is there a better way to date a deck than the way I have got to the figure.

If anyone has any general dating tips or resource websites. I couldnt seem to find a list of all dougherty aces for example which would be handy I'm sure it's out there but just don't know where.

Appreciate the help.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 11:36:25 AM by MonkeyBoy52 »

« Reply #349 on: April 29, 2022, 11:30:52 AM »

MonkeyBoy52

• Newcomer
Deleted, issue resolved
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 11:37:29 AM by MonkeyBoy52 »