Author (Read 2931 times)

So let's say I restarted my channel...
« on: August 12, 2012, 04:48:40 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Is there even a point to reviewing new decks anymore? I mean, design is so subjective, and it seems inappropriate to review an objectively bad design (why bother if it's that terrible?) and everyone is already aware of how awesome amazing designs are (do you need a reviewer to tell you that the Seasons deck looks sexy?)

Handling is identical across all the decks. There is occassional variation because of funky decks, different cuts, and of course Bee vs. Bike stock, Magic vs. Air-Cushion and Smooth vs. Dimpled, but that's it.

As far as showing off the features go, a lot of other reviews do that very well already. As far as showing how the cards look in a performance, you have reviewers doing that as well, way better than I ever could.

So what's left? Reviewing "out-there" decks. Relatively undiscovered decks that are worth discussing, but would you guys watch a video on, say, the Las Vegas Club decks? For example, they're known for their bad fans, but a lesser known fact is the fans become perfect after hours of working them in with faros and shuffles.

I'd also be injecting more humor into the videos, because it seems something like my "Worst Playing Cards In the World" video was well received. And who knows, maybe I could snag some interviews with the folks who work at USPCC for you guys.

I'd also expand the channel to include really important current event awareness. For example, if I was producing videos during the SOPA/PIPA situation, I'd make a video on that.

It would also be fun to feature different people, from YouTubers to sellers to cardists and magicians that I think are awesome.

I wouldn't hold anymore contests, but I would occasionally do a give away at the end of some videos.

I'd upload 1-2 videos a month because that's how I roll, idk. I think people that upload several new videos a week with little to no content are crazy! Where do you find the time? :P

But yeah, my biggest fear is coming back and getting no viewership since I was absent for a year. When CardsRFun returned his channel was relatively dead, and he had 3x the subs I did.

I don't know, you guys have been really active in the YT scene and I haven't been for a year now - what's your opinions? Is there still room for a card channel? Are things oversaturated?

Forum Founder.

Re: So let's say I restarted my channel...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 05:20:38 PM »

hazofhorsham

• Discourse Veteran
In my honest opinion, I subscribe to different card people on Youtube just because hearing people talk about cards, giving their opinion, speaking on new decks, etc is something that I am interested in. I like cards and so I like videos about them. Any high quality video with decent audio (I can't stand bad audio) will interest me.

Just because others do it, doesn't mean you shouldn't.
Some Men just want to watch the world burn.

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 05:27:05 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos
In my honest opinion, I subscribe to different card people on Youtube just because hearing people talk about cards, giving their opinion, speaking on new decks, etc is something that I am interested in. I like cards and so I like videos about them. Any high quality video with decent audio (I can't stand bad audio) will interest me.

Just because others do it, doesn't mean you shouldn't.

This.

I'm in the same boat as you alex. I couldn't give 2 shits about most new decks so i would love to see some reviews on vintage decks. I have been asking for it forrrrrrever and no one has ever done it so please please PLEASE do it. Nike... *6 people will get that joke*
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 05:35:30 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
This.

I'm in the same boat as you alex. I couldn't give 2 shits about most new decks so i would love to see some reviews on vintage decks. I have been asking for it forrrrrrever and no one has ever done it so please please PLEASE do it. Nike... *6 people will get that joke*
I got it  :)

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 05:48:26 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Yeah kudos to you Evan for not reviewing new decks all the time, and also not reviewing vintage decks like a retard. "Durr it handles nothing like my Monarchs, is poop."

Any plans for your next vintage review?

@John: Not just vintage, but things like the Apex deck, or those insanely hard to find decks like ye olde Bicycle decks.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 05:50:43 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Yeah kudos to you Evan for not reviewing new decks all the time, and also not reviewing vintage decks like a retard. "Durr it handles nothing like my Monarchs, is poop."

Any plans for your next vintage review?
Haha thanks. I don't have too many vintage decks but I do plan on reviewing most of the ones that I have.

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 09:04:08 PM »

Utterfool

• Elite Member
  • " I have nothing to declare except my folly"

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• last.fm:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:
I am not a flourisher or a magician, for the most part I don't care how a deck handles. If I am going to use it, it only needs to be able to shuffle and deal decently and not fall apart in an hour. If I am collecting it, it only needs to have a good design and not look cheap.
What I watch reviews for is to see what decks really look like. I like that most reviewers keep the handling part of a review until the end, I usually just turn off the video after they show me the deck.
I find that most advertising promos don't really give you the true look of a deck.
( that is why I love coming to the design section of these forums, designers often show you every card). So for me, I always feel the more reviews the merrier, because it gives more chances to view how the deck looks ( since many reviewers show it in different ways and lighting)

I would love to see more obscure decks get reviews. There are some older, unique, and expensive decks that I would like to get a look at to see if it is really worth me wasting my money on.

And I agree with a lot of what was said above. As collectors and card hobbyists we love cards and devour the information that is out there another channel that shares that info, especially with interviews from different perspectives (designers, producers, retailers, enthusiasts, flourishers, and magicians) would be a lot of fun.

I wouldn't worry about your viewership too much. You have a audience here you can advertise to, who I am sure would check it out rather quickly, and plenty of people who would pass it on to the greater community.

The only issue with viewership, and I don't mean this as an attack as I was not involved with your kickstarter campaign and don't wish to bring up the arguments, is rebuilding your image in other forum environments, which theoretically shouldn't be difficult, but would take an effort that you may not have time for.

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 10:58:19 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
If you made those changes, I would be very interested. The main reason why I watched your videos was because of the humor involved with the review. I'm happy to see you are reconsidering continuing with your channel.

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 12:18:29 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I used to check every day on youtube for Alex's reviews. IMO ALex is the best reviewer there is and you should definatly start back up.

If it hadnt been for Alex's channel I would have never seen the vortex deck or the Forum> And Your channel really got me collecting all those different decks you reviewed
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 12:32:35 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
If you did that I would watch reviews again. Now I only watch them if i am very bored or just want to see the cards.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 01:28:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Alex, you make many valid points about what reviews are like today.  To be frank, most "reviews" are really more like "previews", since the reviewer is usually showing off a brand new deck, freshly taken out of the box (sometimes even on camera, while they rip the cellophane and break the seal) and used at most for under a week, because they want to have the first reviews out there.

The fact is that nearly any deck to come out of USPC these days will have great handling fresh out of the box.  We know all of this, so why a "review" on a barely-used deck?  I want to see a real review, with a deck that's been worked on a while - at least an hour or two every day for maybe a month.  THEN you can tell me how great or poorly it handles, because it's been used in real-world conditions.

And of course, by all means, review that which rarely if ever gets reviewed!  Review oddball decks, deck that didn't come from USPC, vintage decks, all manner of playing cards.  The world of playing cards does not begin and end with decks specially made for collectors, magicians and/or flourishers.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 03:00:41 AM »

DeckReview

• Elite Member

• YouTube:
Is there even a point to reviewing new decks anymore? I mean, design is so subjective, and it seems inappropriate to review an objectively bad design (why bother if it's that terrible?)

Handling is identical across all the decks. There is occassional variation because of funky decks, different cuts, and of course Bee vs. Bike stock, Magic vs. Air-Cushion and Smooth vs. Dimpled, but that's it.

So what's left? Reviewing "out-there" decks.

It would also be fun to feature different people, from YouTubers to sellers to cardists and magicians that I think are awesome.

But yeah, my biggest fear is coming back and getting no viewership since I was absent for a year. When CardsRFun returned his channel was relatively dead, and he had 3x the subs I did.

I don't know, you guys have been really active in the YT scene and I haven't been for a year now - what's your opinions? Is there still room for a card channel? Are things oversaturated?

I agree with everything you stated. Reviewing the design is pointless and the handling portion is redundant because everything feels too similar. Like come on, all the USPCC cards are being made in the same plant. Of course they are gonna handle similar!

As for reviewing "out there decks" well, I would put that on hold just for a tiny bit. I would start off reviewing the newest maybe 2 of the newest decks to get a head start on viewership and to see where you are at before throwing down the odd decks. No one will search odd decks so the best way to get views on that is to get a good fan base.

As for CardsRfun "dead" channel, his channel isn't exactly dead... in fact his view to time ratio per video is much higher than mine and sacproductions101. His channel is only dead at the moment because he doesn't post videos. His subscriber to view ratio is pretty bad though.

Anyways, the card review youtube channel is not exactly over saturated. Its just tough competition getting views. The joker and the thief for example can hardly get any views even though their vids are one of the best for reviews in terms of entertainment. Like there really isn't any big "rival" review channels either; there is my channel and Sacproductions101. That's it. Evan's and The joker and the theif's channel are still growing so nothing big yet. I predict they're pretty much gonna be the next CardsRfun and ReviewXCM respectively though.

That being said, hop back on to the card video thing. I'm a fan of yours as well and would like to watch some humorous deck reviews
www.youtube.com/deckreview
The simplist card reviews on youtube

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 04:22:44 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
i agree with the next cardsrfun but not reviewxcm .. i just love them they are so hardcore .. i would just have watch their review for more than 10 times but i won't get bored .. too bad they are not posting any review now haiz

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 07:14:28 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
The joker and the thief for example can hardly get any views even though their vids are one of the best for reviews in terms of entertainment. Like there really isn't any big "rival" review channels either; there is my channel and Sacproductions101. That's it. Evan's and The joker and the theif's channel are still growing so nothing big yet. I predict they're pretty much gonna be the next CardsRfun and ReviewXCM respectively though.

Thanks DeckReview for the kind words.

Alex, you did have a very good channel and I liked your reviews. I used to watch them before we started reviewing.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 07:18:58 AM by Joker and the Thief »
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 07:45:32 AM »

JOEYFX

• Newcomer
To be honest I never really got the sense behind a Channel entirely devoted to playing card reviews. To be fair I don't own alot of different decks, but I handle cards for quite a while and I never noticed a HUGE difference in the quality of those cards. There are certainly card that are better for fanning than others, but I don't really have faith in someone telling me "those are great for fanning" and then performing a shitty thumb fan (Im not meaning you with this comment, but those random kids on youtube I see doing reviews).

A while ago trashmanf made a couple deck reviews that were almost entirely focused on handling and comparing different stocks. This guy actually knew what he was talking about because he was great at flourishing/cardistry himself and therefor knew what other card guys are looking for in a deck of cards. He also had a great sense of humor which made his videos really fun to watch.

@Alex: Unfortunately I never knew about your channel, but if you're a funny guy and you know what you're talking about when it comes to different stocks and handling cards, I would love to subscribe and watch your videos in the future. Interviews would be interesting aswell.

regards,
Joey

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 08:22:31 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
To be honest I never really got the sense behind a Channel entirely devoted to playing card reviews. To be fair I don't own alot of different decks, but I handle cards for quite a while and I never noticed a HUGE difference in the quality of those cards. There are certainly card that are better for fanning than others, but I don't really have faith in someone telling me "those are great for fanning" and then performing a shitty thumb fan (Im not meaning you with this comment, but those random kids on youtube I see doing reviews).

A while ago trashmanf made a couple deck reviews that were almost entirely focused on handling and comparing different stocks. This guy actually knew what he was talking about because he was great at flourishing/cardistry himself and therefor knew what other card guys are looking for in a deck of cards. He also had a great sense of humor which made his videos really fun to watch.

@Alex: Unfortunately I never knew about your channel, but if you're a funny guy and you know what you're talking about when it comes to different stocks and handling cards, I would love to subscribe and watch your videos in the future. Interviews would be interesting aswell.

regards,
Joey

can you pls type the link of his deck review pls ?? i saw alot of trashmanf video and i really like it .. i only know a couple of review video he did with a couple of other people .. that channel is reviewxcm

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 10:09:57 AM »

Lilyas

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

you know I am quite new in this scene and I didn't endlessly watch card reviews on youtube so far. But even as a layman I realized that most reviewed decks out there are equal in handling, card stock and finish. When I am watching a review I am mostly interested to learn about the design anyway. It's a great idea to focus more on special, rare, old and/or unknown decks than on new decks. I am in agreement with Utterfool here. If you are coming back with new fresh ideas it should be possible to attract new people and win back the interest of your old susbscribers.

Good Luck!
Lily

@Utterfool
I am not a flourisher or a magician, for the most part I don't care how a deck handles. If I am going to use it, it only needs to be able to shuffle and deal decently and not fall apart in an hour. If I am collecting it, it only needs to have a good design and not look cheap.

I am in the same boat with you. :D

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 10:45:48 AM »

JOEYFX

• Newcomer
@Jin Jian

Thats the channel/videos I've meant. He doesn't make any reviews anymore as far as I know (stopped doing flourishing aswell if I remember correctly).

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 11:07:31 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:

regards,
Joey

can you pls type the link of his deck review pls ?? i saw alot of trashmanf video and i really like it .. i only know a couple of review video he did with a couple of other people .. that channel is reviewxcm
I'm guessing this is the guy he is talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/user/trashmanfXCM?feature=watch
Although I don't see any deck reviews.
For me, I like watching reviews like DeckReview and Sacproductions101 as well as occiasionally J&T and Evan. The reason for this is that I'm interested in knowing different specs of the decks, little details in the design, stock and finish, durability, and as well see the design in use.

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 06:54:49 PM »

vmagic

I've got reviews on decks from all over the world and also a few vintage ones plus every other deck out there.

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 06:59:21 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I've got reviews on decks from all over the world and also a few vintage ones plus every other deck out there.
What does this have to do with the topic at hand? Can you stop with the self-promotion already? Plus, I don't mean to offend you, but this is my honest opinion: I find your reviews long, uninformative, boring, unartistic... You don't do any fans or displays other than a normal spread and a messed up fan... This has nothing to do with what Alex is saying he would like to showcase on his channel.