You are Here:
Salutations from Québec, Canada!

Author (Read 854 times)

Salutations from Québec, Canada!
« on: January 02, 2014, 10:16:10 AM »

splice42

• True Member
Hey everyone, Don said I should come over here and introduce myself so here I am.

I enjoy some light collecting of playing cards, nothing special really. I just like different deck designs, and I mostly put decks aside for use in my poker game. I don't juggle cards. I've had an on-again/off-again relationship with magic. I mostly keep to card effects, and even then mostly gambling-related moves and routines. What I lack for in breadth I pretend to make up for in depth. I have a good amount of the Fulves materials on riffle shuffling, for example, and I enjoyed most of it. I have most of Steve Forte's output, and I think that even without teaching, it's got some of the best contents on gambling moves, handily and easily surpassing other works (such as Brian Tudor's "Card Sharp" and Daniel Madison's latest "effort"). I have multiple editions of Erdnase (no old collectible editions though), my favourites are the facsimile edition and the bible edition.

I'll be popping in and out since this seems to be a nice place to learn about new decks. See you around!

Re: Salutations from Québec, Canada!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 10:45:11 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hey everyone, Don said I should come over here and introduce myself so here I am.

I enjoy some light collecting of playing cards, nothing special really. I just like different deck designs, and I mostly put decks aside for use in my poker game. I don't juggle cards. I've had an on-again/off-again relationship with magic. I mostly keep to card effects, and even then mostly gambling-related moves and routines. What I lack for in breadth I pretend to make up for in depth. I have a good amount of the Fulves materials on riffle shuffling, for example, and I enjoyed most of it. I have most of Steve Forte's output, and I think that even without teaching, it's got some of the best contents on gambling moves, handily and easily surpassing other works (such as Brian Tudor's "Card Sharp" and Daniel Madison's latest "effort"). I have multiple editions of Erdnase (no old collectible editions though), my favourites are the facsimile edition and the bible edition.

I'll be popping in and out since this seems to be a nice place to learn about new decks. See you around!

Have you checked out the Erdnaseum e-book edition?  I'm told it's the most accurate.

Welcome to the forum, Splice - you're in good company here.  In fact, there was a fellow Quebecois introducing himself here yesterday.  Have fun, make yourself at home and don't be afraid to ask questions.  Cheers!  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 11:43:44 AM »

splice42

• True Member
I'd have to track it down and see it. It's likely I saw it in the past.

As far as being "most accurate", however, I doubt it. The facsimile edition was essentially identical to the original first edition in almost all respects, save for the publication date and a small "Facsimile edition" inside. Same physical size, same type and colour of cover materials, same fonts, same layouts, etc etc. The PDF I remember the most was an electronic version of the bible edition. I printed that one out and spiral-bound it, it's nice and big and not collectable at all, perfect for my personal study and notes.

Most editions in fact do everything they can to preserve the internal pagination. Given the book's stature, there are often references to specific pages and paragraphs, and any edition that has any respect for the work will want to preserve the layout so as to allow everyone to look up these references accurately. As far as I know, the bible edition, the indestructible edition, the facsimile edition as well as a host of others (the Powner, KC Card Co, and more) all preserve the pagination.

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 02:06:11 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I'd have to track it down and see it. It's likely I saw it in the past.

As far as being "most accurate", however, I doubt it. The facsimile edition was essentially identical to the original first edition in almost all respects, save for the publication date and a small "Facsimile edition" inside. Same physical size, same type and colour of cover materials, same fonts, same layouts, etc etc. The PDF I remember the most was an electronic version of the bible edition. I printed that one out and spiral-bound it, it's nice and big and not collectable at all, perfect for my personal study and notes.

Most editions in fact do everything they can to preserve the internal pagination. Given the book's stature, there are often references to specific pages and paragraphs, and any edition that has any respect for the work will want to preserve the layout so as to allow everyone to look up these references accurately. As far as I know, the bible edition, the indestructible edition, the facsimile edition as well as a host of others (the Powner, KC Card Co, and more) all preserve the pagination.

The Erdnaseum edition came out around the same time as the Erdnaseum deck.  It retains the line markings of the Bible edition, and has the complete text of the original printing with the exception of a list of errata at the front - the actual errors themselves are left intact.  I'm pretty sure both iBooks and Amazon Kindle carry it.  I just find it's nice to have a "backup plan" edition residing in my phone!

In fact, now that I think of it, I think that Bill Kalush might have had at least peripheral involvement in its creation.  Might want to ask him about it.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 02:14:18 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 02:50:58 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Woo! Yet another Canadian to the board. Welcome!