Why I Now Deeply Hate Theory11!

Author (Read 1780 times)

Why I Now Deeply Hate Theory11!
« on: December 04, 2011, 06:23:47 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
Now as I'm sure many of you know, Theory11 hasn't gotten the "best" publicity lately.

Remember the Monarchs fiasco? How about threatening Evan to let him never make another purchase from them?

Well this Wednesday they finally raised the bar on how terrible a company can be.

As many of you know, Theory11 has a relatively new service called "The Wire". On said service, you can submit original tricks, become known in the magic world, and make profits by selling your tricks.

Meet 19 year-old Alex Offenkrantz; a card magician with a dream of making it big. He realized this was his chance to become big.

His original trick "Sourdough Switch" was on "The Wire" for a couple of weeks and has done relatively well. He finally was getting his work to the known world; until Exposé had to mess it all up.

This week Zach Mueller and Christen Gerhart went out of their way to completely insult every little thing about him.

His looks, his voice, the name of the trick, and his name were all poked fun at during this episode.

Watch the video here (Insulting starts around 20 seconds): http://tinyurl.com/72ob5dz

I couldn't believe this. After I saw this I felt so bad for Mr. Offenkrantz, I decided to purchase this trick, but when I got to "The Wire" shop, his trick was gone. My jaw dropped.

I decided to search for him on Theory11, and this is what I found: http://tinyurl.com/6pkv5j6

Under his picture it says "Alex has yet to release any tricks on The Wire."

They seriously insulted Alex so much, to the point where he decided to remove his content.

Why any company would flat-out insult someone who makes them money is beyond me.

I forgave them for the Monarchs, stuck with them after they threatened Evan, but this is un-excusable, and I have lost all respect I have for this stone-cold company.

They have ruined a hopeful magician which deserves absolutely no praise.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 06:26:17 PM by loldudex2 »
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

Re: Why I Now Deeply Hate Theory11!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 06:34:45 PM »

PoundFFFFFF

• Elite Member
I see your point. Shall we all boycott T11?

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 07:12:05 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
So... people care what 12 year old hipsters say on the internet now?  When did that happen?

I see no reason to boycott T11 but that's mostly because they don't sell anything I want and couldn't get cheaper elsewhere.

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 07:21:41 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Is Zach Mewtwo the one on the left, or the right? o_O
Forum Founder.

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 07:25:07 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos
It is only a matter of time before this happens to zach.

"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 10:59:47 PM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
to be honest i would have been flattered to be poked fun at on expose. so far everyone that they have made fun of has put out good tricks.
have you heard the word???

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 01:00:52 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
wow T11 is going over board !!! how could there do that .. i feel sad for the guy

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 05:36:54 AM »

MrLukeCarroll

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Poor Guy, He has obviously tried hard on the Wire, to make his ideas out there and make some money from them yet the company he is making money for comes and does this to him.

I would remove my trick from the Wire to honestly, why make them any more money after they do this to you.

Just look at the Youtube comments almost everyone is on Alex's side.
Mystery is the basic appeal of magic. Once the secrets are known, the magician becomes a mere manipulator, an actor in a suspense drama which has little impact because the audience knows the ending in advance.

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 12:16:42 PM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
if you watched today's show they address the concerns. hint hint to everyone: learn to take a joke or even make fun of yourself from time to time.

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 01:48:29 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I don't really have a problem with making a joke about pretty much any subject but it depends how it is approached.  Basically, if they were funny or smart, I wouldn't care but they aren't.  There was no satire, irony or any other comedic device.  I would have liked him to stand up for himself, though, rather than just hiding and taking the abuse from Justin Beiber's simpleton brother and the ghost of stripper's past.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 01:50:15 PM by Kanped »

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 01:57:08 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
I agree with the above comment. If they would have been funny about it or approache it differently that would be fine. Instead of being classy with it, they pretty much flat out
Insulted everything about his tricks, without even being smart or having any type of comedy, or even bein funny about it. The whole time they didn't even sound like they were joking.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 02:05:34 PM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
still trolls will be trolls. people are generally dicks; especially hiding behind a camera or computer screen. If you are going to post something for everyone to see you better have a thick skin for that sort of thing.

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 05:36:17 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Yeah I feel bad for the guy, but this stuff happens. The show often pokes fun at people, but this time it was a little harsh. He's gotta keep his head up though. His trick was doing well it seems so that's good for him and also the video does give him some publicity. They don't say his trick was bad, they say the name was bad. I would have kept the trick up if I were him.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 06:11:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Were I him, I'd pull the video and use the previous sales number to sell it to someone like E or D&D as a downloadable.  T11 insulting their own talent in their own forum?  Ridiculous, and bad business practice.  It wouldn't surprise me if more magicians and cardists pulled their videos as well and looked for other outlets.  Even giving them away would be better than letting someone like that profit from them.

I will say, right now, that I haven't seen the video in question, nor have I seen the trick.  I'm taking what people are saying here about the situation as an article of faith.  Should the circumstances be different from what I'm hearing them to be here, I'd naturally adjust my position accordingly.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 08:36:03 AM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
I am a non-stop joker and prankster. That being the case, my skin is naturally thick and I don't take badgering too personal. If you have seen my youtube video "The Magic Box-ish", you know this about me. So, long story short, laugh and live a little. If you take life too seriously you will miss out on living. I think maybe next time they should take into account the age and maturity of the person they are targeting before they poke fun. 8)
Magical as Sin!