You are Here:
AVFF Playing Cards

Author (Read 584 times)

AVFF Playing Cards
« on: January 30, 2015, 09:09:55 AM »

AVFF_PC

• Newcomer
Hey guys,
I designed this deck last year and I've been talking to Legends Playing Card Company and I'll probably get it to kickstarter this year.
What do you guys think about it? Any suggestions?
The symbol is formed my brothers and mine initials (AVFF). The As are formed by the V and the 2 upside down Fs
Thanks,
Alan.

Re: AVFF Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 10:04:57 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Are you planning on using custom courts or pips or will it just be a custom back?
Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 12:16:44 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Hey guys,
I designed this deck last year and I've been talking to Legends Playing Card Company and I'll probably get it to kickstarter this year.
What do you guys think about it? Any suggestions?
The symbol is formed my brothers and mine initials (AVFF). The As are formed by the V and the 2 upside down Fs
Thanks,
Alan.

I read the symbol as "A M A" or "A V A". Unfortunately, there is no way I would have gotten "AVFF" without you saying it. I still can't see the "F's" even though I know what you were going for. Maybe you can have some breaks in the letter design to better show the "F's"?

You should look up some typography examples on dribbble.com or abduzeedo.com for some inspiration. There is a ton of awesome stuff on both those sites.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 12:21:04 PM by Kleetz »

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 05:30:23 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Ever see something and start to tilt your head to figure out what's going on there? That's what just happened to me. I didn't read the post before seeing the image because, I'm human and saw the image first. I don't know if that helps, but that's my initial experience. I didn't know what was going on there and I was trying to figure it out.

Second experience, I see A V A and A M A and I still tilt my head a bit. I don't see any F's going on there. My suggestion is don't try to be sneaky about the A V F F. Lay it out there clean and bold in a style that suits you, if you want to have your initials on the backs, then go from there. It looks like you're headed in a minimalist direction, no need for there to be a scavenger hunt is there?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 05:30:56 PM by Fes »
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 08:30:59 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
As card backs go, it's rather bland.  I would NEVER have guessed AVFF out of that icon, not in a thousand years.  AMA would have been my guess, despite no resemblance to the logo of the American Medical Association.

Beyond that, what else is there to say?  There's nothing else to evaluate.

Be aware that the majority of similar such personalized projects fail on Kickstarter.  It makes plenty of sense to you, but that doesn't often translate to the investors roaming KS looking for something to back.  I remember a guy who was making a deck project dedicated to his daughter, he claimed, despite its resemblance to a Dan and Dave deck.  He completely refused to explain this bizarre connection in relation to the deck's design, so in the end he was the only person who knew it and cared about it.  Big downward spiral, there - not successful.

If you and/or your brother were some kind of celebrity, it'd be a different story - but you aren't.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/