You are Here:
POTTER & POTTER AUCTION

Author (Read 699 times)

POTTER & POTTER AUCTION
« on: July 02, 2014, 08:11:37 PM »

athomas16

Anything go crazy high or crazy low?  Interesting items or occurrences?

TIA

Re: Can anyone do a post mortem on the Potter & Potter auction?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 08:35:57 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Anything go crazy high or crazy low?  Interesting items or occurrences?

TIA
TheBadJoker is planning a write up of the auction and I did an overall summary in the 52+J board. The Border Index went for a great price, as did the Tiger Poster. It was a great event and some categories did very well - china/porcelain; gambling items; ephemera. Worst performance by Souvenir decks. Many didn't sell and those that did were generally at low end of the market value.
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

POTTER & POTTER AUCTION
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 09:14:48 AM »

TheBadJoker

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Overall the Potter & Potter was vey successful.  Unfortunately, I don't have any photos to share at the moment but perhaps later. 

The souvenir decks were very weak with many lots being passed.  Perhaps this was my fault as I should have grouped more decks together.  Many decks even starting at $25 did not receive an opening bid.  This would be an excellent category for a beginning collector with a limited budget.

On the other hand prices for early American and non-standard decks were quite strong although there were a few bargains to be had in that area.  The foreign decks also seemed to fare well. 

Ephemera, trade cards and advertising related to playing cards also did well with some prices sky rocketing to new records.  All the prices can be viewed on the Potter & Potter website: potterauctions.com.

Prices for the Devil & Card pattern by Royal Bayreuth did well overall with a few pieces selling in the thousands. The playing card porcelains brought average prices and some people got some real bargains.

There has not been a really good playing card auction in the U.S. since the Lenny Schneir auction and I think this auction has laid the groundwork for Potter & Potter to become the dominant player in the gambling and playing card area.  The next auction will be next May and I can promise you that I have already been given some fantastic lots in both the gambling and playing card areas.  If any of you have lots that you wish to consign please give me a call at 773-883-0073 to discuss. It's not to early!!