Bicycle Golden Spike by Jody Eklund
« on: April 17, 2014, 12:12:24 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Hey guys,

Jody Eklund (Hipster deck) is working on a new deck.  Here are some early sketches...

You can follow him on his FB page: https://www.facebook.com/fluentinplayingcards

He also told me that even thought the Hipster KS wasn't successful, the Hipster decks are on the way.

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

Re: Bicycle Golden Spike by Jody Eklund
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 12:27:09 PM »

vmagic

So he did a campaign for the deck and now all of sudden he doesn't even need the funding?

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 01:29:56 PM »

Jody Eklund

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

I sold the rights to the artwork to a guy who I met through my Kickstarter campaign. I could not do these projects without those who back me on Kickstarter. When I put my projects out there, the only way my decks get printed is through my backers on Kickstarter.
Jody Eklund

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 08:29:42 PM »

vmagic

Ok thats cool

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 09:06:57 PM »

S. Carey

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Really like the new concept. Can't wait to see it develop.

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 01:32:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I sold the rights to the artwork to a guy who I met through my Kickstarter campaign. I could not do these projects without those who back me on Kickstarter. When I put my projects out there, the only way my decks get printed is through my backers on Kickstarter.

Actually, there IS a way to fund a deck without going to Kickstarter...  If you win this contest, Expert PCC will print your deck for you and send you 36 bricks of it!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 10:27:55 AM »

Jody Eklund

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

Here is an update to the artwork for the Golden Spike. Remember, these are still works in progress, so any feedback will greatly be appreciated.

I am shooting to launch on June 1st. That is if I can get all the artwork done in time.
Jody Eklund

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 11:01:53 AM »

Afrank8

• True Member
I don't know about anyone else but I'm liking the look of these. Do you have any plans to add some colour to the courts or other cards?

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 11:35:49 AM »

troy

• True Member
These are an instant back on Kickstarter for me. Excellent artwork. I look forward to seeing more!

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 12:24:32 PM »

Jody Eklund

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

I don't know about anyone else but I'm liking the look of these. Do you have any plans to add some colour to the courts or other cards?

Well, I am liking the no color work so far. If I decide to put color in, it will be very minimal. Of course, Red will be shown for the Hearts and Diamonds.
Jody Eklund

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 11:43:52 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

Well, I am liking the no color work so far. If I decide to put color in, it will be very minimal. Of course, Red will be shown for the Hearts and Diamonds.

I like the "no color" look that goes with this theme. And I love the Standard Edition Tuck. I'm actually quite excited for these to come out.

Will there be any difference for the black and limited edition other than the tuck?

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 05:04:16 AM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran
I love the line work of the box logo. Excellent stuff.
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 06:53:44 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Here is an update to the artwork for the Golden Spike. Remember, these are still works in progress, so any feedback will greatly be appreciated.

I am shooting to launch on June 1st. That is if I can get all the artwork done in time.

They look good, but please, I beg of you, don't use the "faux aged" background color!  It's become seriously overused.  A simple shade of ivory would be great, without the fake stains.  That would make it look like something NEW of that era, rather than something that's been buried since then and recently discovered.

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 07:36:33 PM »

Jody Eklund

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

Hi everyone, I want to get your feedback before I launch next week on some finished artwork for the Golden Spike Kickstarter campaign. Please let me know, as I am going to use your comments to help shape the design of this deck before and during the Kickstarter campaign.
Jody Eklund

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 07:38:20 PM »

Jody Eklund

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

Jody Eklund

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 08:15:33 PM »

Afrank8

• True Member
Will the limited edition also have a different colour for hearts and diamonds or is it just gold for spades and clubs and red for the other?

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 11:12:46 PM »

Jody Eklund

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

Will the limited edition also have a different colour for hearts and diamonds or is it just gold for spades and clubs and red for the other?
Actually, that is still being worked out. I am going to bring it up for a vote in the next couple days after I have some examples to vote on.
Jody Eklund

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 11:25:50 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hi everyone, I want to get your feedback before I launch next week on some finished artwork for the Golden Spike Kickstarter campaign. Please let me know, as I am going to use your comments to help shape the design of this deck before and during the Kickstarter campaign.

I'll grant you that it was the term of the period to call a Chinese immigrant a "Chinaman", but is it really necessary to use a derogatory term like that today?  I would label him as a "Chinese immigrant", or better, "Immigrant Laborer".  Even "Indentured Laborer" would work, as I seem to recall many were contracted in China to use their work to pay for their passage into America.

Actually, that is still being worked out. I am going to bring it up for a vote in the next couple days after I have some examples to vote on.

Consider using red metallic ink on the red-suited cards.  It will go nicely with the gold.  For an example as to how that might look, pick up a pack of Bicycle Premier.  While the back is not the best of all choices, I've always felt that the use of metallic inks in that deck was among the best - at least until I saw David Blaine's Silver Split Spades.

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2014, 11:29:45 PM »

troy

• True Member
I'll grant you that it was the term of the period to call a Chinese immigrant a "Chinaman", but is it really necessary to use a derogatory term like that today?  I would label him as a "Chinese immigrant", or better, "Immigrant Laborer".  Even "Indentured Laborer" would work, as I seem to recall many were contracted in China to use their work to pay for their passage into America.

I also agree. There's no positive using that term and it will be talked about and eventually a distraction to the art.
"Immigrant Laborer" is a good replacement choice.

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 05:12:23 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

I also agree. There's no positive using that term and it will be talked about and eventually a distraction to the art.
"Immigrant Laborer" is a good replacement choice.

I like what i'm seeing. I think "Chinaman" is ok as long as it ties down to the theme and its period. I understand it may not sit well with some Asians or Chinese (even though i am also Chinese, just not China Chinese.), but it would be nice to have it named as closely to the actual term as what people of that time would call it. It gives people an understanding of Western superiority over the Chinese, and the different social class system of that time.

Like history textbooks and stuff, sugar-coating or cover ups will only lead to lesser understanding of the past. Personally, i prefer stuff told as it is.

I'm being picky on this, but i feel the QoS or ladies of that time do not bare that much skin. Even if i am wrong, and they do bare that much skin, i would like to see a little more cloth and detailing of the dresses as the current QoS feels a little plain comparatively to the other court cards.

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2014, 12:52:34 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I like what i'm seeing. I think "Chinaman" is ok as long as it ties down to the theme and its period. I understand it may not sit well with some Asians or Chinese (even though i am also Chinese, just not China Chinese.), but it would be nice to have it named as closely to the actual term as what people of that time would call it. It gives people an understanding of Western superiority over the Chinese, and the different social class system of that time.

Like history textbooks and stuff, sugar-coating or cover ups will only lead to lesser understanding of the past. Personally, i prefer stuff told as it is.

i would think that retitling the image as "Indentured Laborer" would be the polar opposite of sugarcoating or covering up the history of the Chinese workforce in the construction of 19th-century US railroads.  If anything, it strips away the candy coating and the "cute" but derogatory racial slur and tells it like it is.  The only term more apt might be "Slave", since that's how many of them were treated.  But since not all were treated as such, there's no need to go to such an extreme.

If the image was of a black man and was titled with a derogatory racial term popular in that era, I'm not so sure it would fly very well with blacks today.  This really is no different beyond the specific race in question.

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 12:15:39 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I have to agree with Don here. There is a better way to describe the card.

I would love to have a deck of Steamboats with water melon Jokers. That doesn't change the fact that they are very racist images. They were made in a time when attitudes were different. I doubt USPCC would do that now.

The question I have. Is the image even necessary for the deck? The AOS has a train image. Do the other Aces have images of period people?

Edit- Don't get me wrong. I think this is a great looking deck. This wouldn't stop me from backing. I just see how it could offend others.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 12:21:53 AM by Rob Wright »
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2014, 02:08:10 AM »

sastian

• Elite Member
  • All my cards are on the table

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 02:10:22 AM by sastian »

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2014, 10:53:03 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
Amazing detail!  I love seeing these concept sketches. Thanks for sharing.

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2014, 10:07:58 AM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity