You are Here:
Bicycle Actuators - Uncut sheets!

Author (Read 6853 times)

Re: Bicycle Actuators - Uncut sheets!
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2012, 12:28:57 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

Yeah I know that they are that expensive in some places. It's still pretty insane. I never doubted that they were that high. I've looked around at uncuts sheets many times before and seen the prices. I just can't imagine somebody paying that much for one.

An object or service is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.  No more, no less.  And that someone isn't usually going to be the one with the lowest offer!  It may stink for the uncut sheet collector, but it is what it is.  The entire card collecting market and hobby is entirely a luxury pursuit.

Yeah I know that is true. But saying that everytime somebody talks about prices really doesn't make sense. If I made a deck and printed it at 3 bucks a deck and sold it for 15 dollars a deck you all would make a big deal about it. The fact is that the price is pretty dang high for an uncut.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2012, 03:43:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Yeah I know that they are that expensive in some places. It's still pretty insane. I never doubted that they were that high. I've looked around at uncuts sheets many times before and seen the prices. I just can't imagine somebody paying that much for one.

An object or service is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.  No more, no less.  And that someone isn't usually going to be the one with the lowest offer!  It may stink for the uncut sheet collector, but it is what it is.  The entire card collecting market and hobby is entirely a luxury pursuit.

Yeah I know that is true. But saying that everytime somebody talks about prices really doesn't make sense. If I made a deck and printed it at 3 bucks a deck and sold it for 15 dollars a deck you all would make a big deal about it. The fact is that the price is pretty dang high for an uncut.

...and if people stop buying it at that price, you'll see the price drop.  Look at those Big Gun reprints - from a high of $50 a pair, sold only in pairs, limit five per person, blah blah blah, to a closeout of $0.99 a pack, buy as many as you want, we're dumping these like three-week-old bread!  It's an extreme example, but in general the market follows this rule.

Your $15 deck might be worth it because it's that beautiful.  Or not.  Your ability to sell it at $15 a pack is predicated on people's willingness to buy it at $15 a pack.  I've seen new decks cost way more and still sell.

The market forces that are irksome for you are that 1) uncut sheets are rare and limited commodities, and 2) demand for them is strong enough that there are people out there willing to pay a high price.  As people are more and more willing to pay strong after-market prices for these things, more of the people creating them will see this as an opportunity for them and raise their initial sale price.  It's not because their costs went up - it's because they can, period, and still manage to sell them.

Sooner or later, though, you squeeze the golden goose long and hard enough, you don't get any more golden eggs.  The market hasn't reached that point yet.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2012, 05:11:25 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

...and if people stop buying it at that price, you'll see the price drop.  Look at those Big Gun reprints - from a high of $50 a pair, sold only in pairs, limit five per person, blah blah blah, to a closeout of $0.99 a pack, buy as many as you want, we're dumping these like three-week-old bread!  It's an extreme example, but in general the market follows this rule.

Your $15 deck might be worth it because it's that beautiful.  Or not.  Your ability to sell it at $15 a pack is predicated on people's willingness to buy it at $15 a pack.  I've seen new decks cost way more and still sell.

The market forces that are irksome for you are that 1) uncut sheets are rare and limited commodities, and 2) demand for them is strong enough that there are people out there willing to pay a high price.  As people are more and more willing to pay strong after-market prices for these things, more of the people creating them will see this as an opportunity for them and raise their initial sale price.  It's not because their costs went up - it's because they can, period, and still manage to sell them.

Sooner or later, though, you squeeze the golden goose long and hard enough, you don't get any more golden eggs.  The market hasn't reached that point yet.

Yeah I understand how the invisible hand works. I was just commenting on how insane the price is (and I know why it is that high, I've been collecting for 2-3 years now).

« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2012, 06:17:41 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I would help you organize a protest/boycott against the high prices, but it only takes a hundred or so people worldwide to cross the virtual picket line for the entire thing to become moot...

Want to make change?  No time like the present, no place like now, no one like you.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2012, 02:14:02 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I would help you organize a protest/boycott against the high prices, but it only takes a hundred or so people worldwide to cross the virtual picket line for the entire thing to become moot...

Want to make change?  No time like the present, no place like now, no one like you.

I'm not trying to protest the price or anything. If somebody wants to sell something that high go right ahead. I'm just saying that I find it almost comical how high some people price uncuts.

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2012, 05:22:09 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
I'm not trying to protest the price or anything. If somebody wants to sell something that high go right ahead. I'm just saying that I find it almost comical how high some people price uncuts.

You're right. Their prices could be crazy at times. I have a feeling it started off with the D&D or it could be the Arcanes. They, in the start, sell for $30, that's 5 times more expensive than the deck itself. When the market price of say the V5 increased to $20, guess it would make sense that the price of the uncut gets somewhere up to $80 wouldn't it?

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2012, 09:47:19 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
The most I could ever see myself paying for an uncut is $50. Anything over that and I concider it a complete waste of money. I feel $30 is the perfect price for retailers to sell.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2012, 09:52:09 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
The most I could ever see myself paying for an uncut is $50. Anything over that and I concider it a complete waste of money. I feel $30 is the perfect price for retailers to sell.

Yeah I think $50 is a good bench mark. I could see myself paying maybe a little more for an unbelievable uncut, but I have yet to see one that good. I would be hesitant to even pay $50 for one. Honestly there are only a few uncuts that I have really liked lately and I would usually rather just have a few extra decks instead.

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2012, 09:57:34 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
Nowadays people are all insane. They pay much more for the semi-manufactured goods.  >:( >:(

« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 09:58:28 PM by digipunk »

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2012, 10:00:18 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
Nowadays people are all insane. They pay much more for the semi-manufactured goods.  >:( >:(

I've thought the same thing. It's crazy how much people pay for unfinished products, but I can see how they might be considered more valuable since there are so few of them.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2012, 10:04:09 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I personally wouldn't pay more than 20$ for an uncut. I would rather have a couple decks of a great deck rather than an uncut. Or I would like a poster. But I just think it takes up space, and although it is nice, it isn't as useful as a deck of cards and it costs more than a poster.

« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2012, 10:14:02 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
Uncut sheets were rare and special 3 years ago, I do understand why they're expensive. However, nowadays every new deck has its uncut sheets for sale, uncut sheets are no longer rare. :'(