You are Here:

Poll

How sucessful do you think this will be?

Extremely sucessful
2 (25%)
Sucessful
0 (0%)
Probably sucessful
0 (0%)
I'm not sure
1 (12.5%)
Not very sucessful
2 (25%)
Not sucessful at all
2 (25%)
If it's sucessful then I'll kiss a dead man's ass
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: June 15, 2013, 11:51:02 PM

My new line of CHRISTIAN decks

Author (Read 17065 times)

Re: My new line of CHRISTIAN decks
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 03:18:39 PM »

xx789m

• Forum Regular
  • I am a proud Jesus Freak

• Facebook:
Yes I was. And yeah the archangel joker is nice.
Exodus 14:14 The Lord, your god, will fight for you; you need only to be still

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2013, 07:18:02 PM »

xx789m

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
I need a back design for my "spiritual warfare" deck. WHAT WOULD Y'ALL LIKE TO SEE?

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2013, 10:41:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I need a back design for my "spiritual warfare" deck. WHAT WOULD Y'ALL LIKE TO SEE?

I think a better question would be "What do you have to show us?"  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2013, 01:13:20 PM »

xx789m

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
Nothing yet. my designer quit and ripped up ALL the designs :,(

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2013, 01:37:19 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Nothing yet. my designer quit and ripped up ALL the designs :,(

What on Earth happened between you two?

You need to hire a new designer, not go fishing here for suggestions from the peanut gallery.  This forum is good for gaining input on your own designs, but you're basically asking us to "make" your deck for you!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 01:39:34 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2013, 01:55:27 PM »

Lucky Card Company

• Facebook:
xx789m,

Its really unfortunate that you had a fallout with your designer, I had a similar problem 3 months into the deck design and I had to change the whole direction of the project. In the end I ended up choosing a much better designer. It's hard when you had already made an advance payment to the previous designer but o well, sunk cost, take it as a learning experience.

I would suggest that you contact people through Deviantart, see who has what to offer and choose someone with the style of art you want for your project, then get a quote, and an estimated time for delivery.

Also, you might want to browse through these designer forums:

http://www.graphicdesignforum.com

Best advise is to contact a designer, and talk to him over the phone, explain your project and get a vibe for his attitude, if he gets really excited about the project and starts giving you ideas over the phone he might be the guy for your deck. Find a designer who is as passionate about your theme as you are and you will be golden.

Best of luck in your endeavors and best regards,
Martin S.
Lucky Card Company, Inc.

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2013, 02:18:35 PM »

xx789m

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
Thank you. I will look. Something tells me that by the time I'm done I won't have any profit left....

And it was just a personal affair that blew up into a large misunderstanding.

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2013, 02:42:53 PM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I have hired numerous illustrators through www.guru.com which is a place where freelancers peddle their skill.  You create a project and a budget and people bid for the work.  You can review their portfolios, websites and see feedback from jobs they've already completed.  The only cost you incur is what you agree to pay the artist, Guru takes a percentage from them.  When you set up the project, create a payment plan based on deliverables.  I do 4 payments:  Sketch, Revision, Line Art and Color.  You can split that up too if you are doing a bunch of images and if the timeline might be long.  Some guys on there are A listers and command a huge salary, but other guys are trying to pad their portfolios and are excellent artists willing to work cheap.  Make sure you include in your agreement that you own the art when the project is done.   8)
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2013, 02:48:13 PM »

xx789m

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
I'm broke. I can't really afford to hire anyone at the moment.

Plus I am 13. Even if I had money my age complicates things A LOT.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 11:27:14 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2013, 06:04:18 PM »

Lucky Card Company

• Facebook:
Plus I am 13. Even if I had money my age complicates things A LOT.

Darn we should have started on that note, look xx789m, I'm not saying its impossible, but I think a project like this is a lot of responsibility specially at your age. I mean what happens if you make the goal but cant meet your obligations. Plus I'm sure many people would feel uncomfortable with thousands of dollars being handled by a young person.

Too many things you have to consider, even grownups have launched all kinds of projects (programming, clothing, cards, music, etc...), they failed to prepare properly and screwed up incredibly. You would need a lot of guidance and probably an adult to sign off on everything you need to do.

If you can manage to get designs you can post them here for feedback, then I'm sure a lot of people will be likely to coach you and guide you through the process. Maybe a company will sponsor your deck and take care of launching it if the design is attractive enough.

Anyways just consider your options and the responsibilities they carry.

Best Regards,
Martin S.
Lucky Card Company, Inc.

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2013, 07:34:48 PM »

xx789m

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
I had a friend that would fund and a friend that would design and I planned on paying them back under the table with my profits. I was told I should use kickstarter instead of self funding so i could get my product out there, but I was looking at it and
1. I'm underage, but I was told that could be worked around
2. I moved from east Texas in febuary to Mexico and only reside in the USA during the summer and Christmas. Isn't a permanet US adress required?

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2013, 07:50:27 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
if your really interested I would say this is your best bet. http://houseofplayingcards.com/submit/
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2013, 08:46:57 PM »

xx789m

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
I'll check it out, thanks

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2013, 11:42:49 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
if your really interested I would say this is your best bet. http://houseofplayingcards.com/submit/

That's not going to work unless two things happen:

1) he presents a FINISHED design, and
2) Alex and Kevin like the design enough to print it.

They've become more selective than they were at the outset of HOPC, because people were sending them some really ridiculous, unfinished concepts and holding out their hands expecting to get published and paid.  Now, unless you've got completed, printable graphics files of the whole works, you're guaranteed to be passed over - and even then, you could create the Mona Lisa of playing card designs, and if either of them (or both) really don't like it, you won't be offered a contract.

Not that I haven't been giving you enough advice here, xx789m (and I love how that screen name just rolls off the tongue; it's like buttah), but do NOT get personally involved when it comes to business.

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2013, 09:28:34 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I hate to say it but you are going to have a harder time than most of us pulling this off.  Most of us have sources of income to pay for our hobbies/business ideas.  That doesn't mean that an idea from a 13yo isn't good and doesn't merit development, but you will be hard pressed to get anyone to support you because of your age. 

Now, there are plenty of 13yo people who make it "Big".  They do so by socializing.  Coming here is a good start. 

1.  Find another artist, not even a good one who doesn't mind building his portfolio to help create 'concept art'
2.  Define carefully and cohesively the look and feel of the deck.  If you are using standard Pips you can do the numbered cards yourself.
3.  The back of your card is as important as the front, so think clearly about what is striking and tells us what the deck is all about (without actually saying it)
4.  Once you have your 'concept art' in a presentable form, socialize it on FB.  Join all kinds of religious based pages to gain a larger following.  Shamelessly self promote the deck you'd like to make, and put it out there that you are seeking a 'finished artist' who'd be willing to work on the project with you.  As it is a Christian community you will likely find someone who is more about the message than the money that will help. 
5.  Get some final artwork together and publish it to your newly socialized FB groups and tell them you are seeking funds through a kickstarter project (or indiegogo) that you plan to launch soon. 
6.  If your parents are not willing to be your adult sponsor for Kickstarter, perhaps your artist will be willing to partner with you

There are far more details that go into doing this, and like I said at your age it is going to be very difficult.  But I'll leave you with this, at the age of 13 young William H. Gates III got his first 'computer' and became interested in programming.  Look at Bill Gates today!

P.S.  I realize that this has become even harder as you are not allowed by FB to have a presence until the age of 16.
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2013, 01:48:43 PM »

xx789m

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

Not that I haven't been giving you enough advice here, xx789m (and I love how that screen name just rolls off the tongue; it's like buttah), but do NOT get personally involved when it comes to business.

She was a personal friend before I asked her to help with this.

I hate to say it but you are going to have a harder time than most of us pulling this off.  Most of us have sources of income to pay for our hobbies/business ideas.  That doesn't mean that an idea from a 13yo isn't good and doesn't merit development, but you will be hard pressed to get anyone to support you because of your age. 

Now, there are plenty of 13yo people who make it "Big".  They do so by socializing.  Coming here is a good start. 

1.  Find another artist, not even a good one who doesn't mind building his portfolio to help create 'concept art'
2.  Define carefully and cohesively the look and feel of the deck.  If you are using standard Pips you can do the numbered cards yourself.
3.  The back of your card is as important as the front, so think clearly about what is striking and tells us what the deck is all about (without actually saying it)
4.  Once you have your 'concept art' in a presentable form, socialize it on FB.  Join all kinds of religious based pages to gain a larger following.  Shamelessly self promote the deck you'd like to make, and put it out there that you are seeking a 'finished artist' who'd be willing to work on the project with you.  As it is a Christian community you will likely find someone who is more about the message than the money that will help. 
5.  Get some final artwork together and publish it to your newly socialized FB groups and tell them you are seeking funds through a kickstarter project (or indiegogo) that you plan to launch soon. 
6.  If your parents are not willing to be your adult sponsor for Kickstarter, perhaps your artist will be willing to partner with you

There are far more details that go into doing this, and like I said at your age it is going to be very difficult.  But I'll leave you with this, at the age of 13 young William H. Gates III got his first 'computer' and became interested in programming.  Look at Bill Gates today!

P.S.  I realize that this has become even harder as you are not allowed by FB to have a presence until the age of 16.

I'll look around for a new artist.............would either of you happen to know where I can find one that might be interested?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 01:26:03 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2013, 01:54:47 PM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Unfortuantely the crowd I run with all expect payment.  But you have access to a school full of people at or about your age who don't have the same expectations
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2013, 02:56:36 PM »

xx789m

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
Would now be a good time to mention I'm homeschooled?

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2013, 03:02:37 PM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
My children are homeschooled, but they participate in socialization activities with other kids their ages.  I'm sure you must get out.  Have you reached out to your youth group at church, put a flyer up at your local church?  I know you're in Mexico now so i'm sure if there is a language issue.  I'd be careful about putting it out there too much especially where adults are concerned as someone may like your idea and since you are a kid take it for themselves.
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2013, 03:05:18 PM »

xx789m

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
I am very involved in church but there is a LARGE language issue. And nobody down here really has time.

« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2013, 01:37:12 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I'll look around for a new artist.............would either of you happen to know where I can find one that might be interested?

First - in case you haven't noticed it before, I've be combining your double-posts and deleting the extra. Instead of posting twice consecutively in a short time when no one has replied in-between, simply edit the previous post to add the new material.  There's is a Modify link in the toolbar at the top-right of your posts, and on the right between your post and your signature there's an icon that will allow for "quick edits" in the post without changing screens (works fine as long as you're not adding attachments).

Finding a new artist...  Well, I'm told you can't swing a dead cat on DeviantArt without hitting one...  :))  Some will be full-blown pros wanting money up-front while others will be young and hungry like yourself, willing to work with you for a share of the end result.  The entire site is like the world's largest amateur and semi-pro art gallery; no shortage of examples of people's work.

Be honest and up front about your age, but be the professional's professional and you'll stand a better chance of finding someone interested in working with you.  That doesn't mean acting like you know it all - it means if you don't know something, you'll find it out fast and move forward, always making progress.  Know-it-alls, even when they're right, tend to set off people's bullsh** detectors.  Being one of them, I should know! :))
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 01:37:31 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2013, 01:59:46 AM »

xx789m

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
I'll look into it. My previous designer and I resumed our friendship but I'm taking her off the project just so I don't have to start from scratch every time she gets upset.

I'm on deviantART and its confusing me to death.....where in the world is my message center on there?????

Ok I've been sending out adds and requests and such all over deviantART. Do you know how many people have agreed to help?
the wonderful number of 0000.000000010000

by the way....how's this don?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 11:47:15 PM by xx789m »

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2013, 11:53:42 PM »

xx789m

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
Does anybody know of an artist?

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2013, 01:41:06 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Does anybody know of an artist?

Have you tried looking around Christian social sites to see what you can find?

BTW: I wouldn't recommend that poll you started.  There's a number of factors that can affect the success or failure or your deck projects.  We haven't seen a single piece of art, and you're asking us to determine whether we think you'll succeed or not - you might as well read tea leaves and tossed chicken bones...

If you carefully managed the scale of your project and deliver it to the target audience, you stand as much chance as any other deck does - perhaps more, since your decks are targeted more toward people who DON'T collect decks per se, but towards people who share at least some of your religious background and values, or are at least interested in them in some way.

Constantly repeating a "casting call" here over and over is just going to run you in circles.  Broaden your search area beyond the card boards.

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2013, 02:00:08 AM »

xx789m

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
I'm not looking on the card boards. I'm looking at the art and contacting the ones I like.