You are Here:
Galleries of decks?

Author (Read 794 times)

Galleries of decks?
« on: April 09, 2013, 01:48:48 AM »

Soliloquy

• Forum Regular
I can find sites with galleries of early playing card designs, but are there any sites with galleries of more contemporary/custom designs?  (The glut of personalized card deck printing companies is making this hard to search for.)    I know of the Playing Card Collector's blog, but that has mostly relatively recent releases, and I'm looking for something more gallery-like anyway.

Re: Galleries of decks?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 02:11:31 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I can find sites with galleries of early playing card designs, but are there any sites with galleries of more contemporary/custom designs?  (The glut of personalized card deck printing companies is making this hard to search for.)    I know of the Playing Card Collector's blog, but that has mostly relatively recent releases, and I'm looking for something more gallery-like anyway.

Playingcards.wikidot.com is a good place to start.  It's incomplete, infrequently updated and far out of date, but the information it does possess is a treasure trove to the beginning collector.

52cartes.wordpress.com mentions what's up-and-coming and recently released, with some nice photography - and Google Translate doesn't do too bad a job of converting the French to English.

The archive at LoopCuts.com isn't a bad resource, either, though it's a bit short on data, focusing more on the photography and the ad copy from when the decks were released.

Searches on Kickstarter for "playing cards" and "deck cards" will pull up a large variety of deck projects - successful and not-so-much - that serves as sort of a gallery for the little guys of the deck publishing world.

Barring that, I could ask my wife about inviting you over to see my collection!  :))  I currently have over 500 varieties of playing cards and about 1500+ decks.  They fit in a surprisingly small space...  The majority of my collection is recent releases, with a small but growing number of vintage decks going back as far as 100 years old.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 03:15:45 PM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Playingcards.wikidot.com is a good place to start.  It's incomplete, infrequently updated and far out of date, but the information it does possess is a treasure trove to the beginning collector.

Thanks for the info Don, we've been collecting decks since 1976 (presidential bicentennial or something like that was my first).  I 'inherited' a deck from 1897 from my GGGrandmother but no, it's not Bicycle, it was something they played with at the OddFellows club in San Francisco at the end of the 19th century.  We have about 300 decks (mostly my wifes) but I've never been that interested until recently.  This is what you do when your kids grow up and move out.  :)
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 08:36:46 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net